I feel the thing with Khârn and Sigismund isn't that compelling. It's not like they have an ongoing, antagonistic relationship. Heck, Sigi doesn't even hold a grudge against Sevatar, but I'd rather see those two fight because we know that Sevatar dies, but not the circumstances.

Hey Laurie - quick question, if you wouldn't mind indulging my curiosity.

You mentioned that the planning meeting involved Alan Bligh from the FW side of things. Does that mean BL are trying to coordinate releases with the FW team in their 30k game series, and that you're all trying to tie the novelisation of the Siege in with the game? Or is it that you're trying to divide and conquer the run up to the siege, making sure you're not stepping on each others toes with regards to certain events? Or is it much simpler than that, and Alan just happens to be a great guy to bounce ideas off.

Also, just seen on your Twitter the pile of leaving gifts the guys have given you - I didn't even realise that you were off to pastures new? Does that mean you won't be attending the HH Weekender in February? If not, that Saturday Night quiz is not going to be the same (but we'll make do with making graphic constructions out of lego as always!) If you're not around for it, then thanks for everything you've done over the years. Have a virtual pint on me (although if you happen to be at the Belfry in Feb I'll buy you a pint of the real deal)

The Sigismund vs Khârn is cool because they are friends, not enemies.

Maybe, but there's been a however many year gap over the course of the Heresy. They'd just run into each other and be enemies. As for whether Khârn recognises Sigi through the bloodlust...

I'd still rather see Khârn buried under a tide of Black Raging Blood Angels.

Why does it say "Holy Terra"? There are two answers - 1) It was written from the perspective of a future history, looking back at the Horus Heresy from M41, and 2) because Index Astartes is (mostly) a dreadfully written collection of first-pass dross that is thankfully slipping away from being considered canon as newer and better stuff comes in.

As for the crossover between Black Library and Forge World, we've been pretty clear about this from the start - the two departments are SOOOOOO closely linked, because they both used to be run by Tony Cottrell. I've been involved since the first draft of 'Book 1: Betrayal', and I've edited/proofed everything they've ever done, for continuity. It's always been a massive crossover effort. Same with the two boardgames from the Studio.

I'm not joking when I say that my work email signature has said "Arch-Heretic" for the past 4 years...

Why does it say "Holy Terra"? There are two answers - 1) It was written from the perspective of a future history, looking back at the Horus Heresy from M41, and 2) because Index Astartes is (mostly) a dreadfully written collection of first-pass dross that is thankfully slipping away from being considered canon as newer and better stuff comes in.

As for the crossover between Black Library and Forge World, we've been pretty clear about this from the start - the two departments are SOOOOOO closely linked, because they both used to be run by Tony Cottrell. I've been involved since the first draft of 'Book 1: Betrayal', and I've edited/proofed everything they've ever done, for continuity. It's always been a massive crossover effort. Same with the two boardgames from the Studio.

I'm not joking when I say that my work email signature has said "Arch-Heretic" for the past 4 years...

You are the first person I've ever seen that disliked the Index Astartes series. That is pretty shocking. Do you dislike them because they are poorly written or bad narratively?

There were a few bad eggs, but overall the Index Astartes series was a welcome expansion of the main Legion's and Chapter's lore. Some, like the Iron Hands and Raven Guard, had not really had any description at all up to that point (and perhaps in case of the Iron Hands the background made up from scratch was not th egreatest), and the traitor Legions had only had brief descriptions in the 2nd Edition Codex Chaos. Really, the "big four" had been the only Chapters with detailed background up to the point of the Index Astartes articles. The following Codices again only had shorter sections fo each Chapter or traitor Legion, so the Index Astartes articles would remain the most detailed background for most of them for years to come.

The Forgeworld books are the only source that rivals the Index Astartes series in terms of quantity and detail. And while they go into much more detail about the Great Crusade period of each Legion, they do not adress their history thoughout the entire Heresy, the Scouring, and the following ten thousand years. So while the Forgeworld books certainly replace some aspects of the Index Astartes articles, they are not replacing them entirely.

Plus, the Forgeworld articles do contain a few "bad eggs" as well.

I can get the issues with IA stuff. I think the glow they have mostly comes from the fact that for years they were the only relatively substantial heresy background outside of OOP stuff like Adeptus Titanicus. Also that they were the first iteration of rules for traitor legions and the less prominent first founding chapters. They were very variable in quality and how much they actually committed to the whole 'imperial scholar writing centuries later' schtick.

One of the negative things that really sticks with me was the way so many of the IA articles reduce the histories of the legions and chapters to a paint-by-numbers 'hero's journey' for the relevant primarch. How they're found, their adopted family, how they dominate their world, how they meet the emperor and then... not much. A little bit about the heresy and maybe a famous battle. Which was fine and I appreciated them at the time.

It's just that there's so much more that can be done than a set of variations on the superhero origin story, and that is what the FW books deliver with their military history stylings and delving into the pre-primarch Terran and Crusade influences on the legions.

There were some real gems there though. The brief depiction of the Cleansing of the Laer in the Emperor's Children IA article was so much more evocative than how it ended up in Fulgrim.

Archived