Reading list for 2017

veterannoob

To get back into the reading rhythm I need in 2017 I'm making a list of books--the ever-changing queue. In addition to my resolution to finally start and read Gaunt's Ghosts (I have all expect the 2016 releases) I'm moving around books still to read, those I'd like to re-read, and placeholders for what I know is coming now that BL has a coming soon section. 

Here's mine for starters:

edit: see, already making changes :) 

1. Carcharadons (just started)
  2. Garro (42)
  3. Titanicus
  4. Genestealers Cults
  5. Firecaste
  6. Leman Russ primarch book
  7. Ragnar Blackmane
  8. Archaon: Lord of Chaos
  9. Magnus primarch book
  10. begin GG

What's yours?

1. Finish Carcharodons

2. Finish rereading Scars

3. Path of Heaven

4. If no alternative has shown up: either First Heretic, Betrayer, reread BL Omnibus, DA Omnibus, WB Omnibus are all waiting here

5. Obtain Primarch books of Russ and Magnus, Blackmane, Ahriman Omnibus and the like

6. Upcoming stuff like Slaughter at Giants Coffin, Chris' new novels, Black Legion, DoW 3

Does Inferno count as well? ^^

Still a lot to read and a lot to be released. Either I'll purchase a kindle or I need a bigger rack. ;)

Oh and here's hope for some new Iron Snakes stuff as well!

My list's growing and already piled to high heaven with non-BL stuff, but let's see...

• Carcharodons: Red Tithe by Robbie MacNiven
  • Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan by Gav Thorpe (and hopefully Jain Zar soon after, eh?)
  • Khârn: Eater of Worlds by Anthony Reynolds
  • Whichever Primarchs novellas and Horus Heresy stories release, and catching up on the few stragglers I haven't read yet, like Wolf King and Cybernetica
  • Slaughter at Giant's Coffin by "L J" Goulding, though I might wait til the Scythes omnibus later in the year
  • Shadowsword by Guy Haley, since I haven't picked it up yet to maintain shelf integrity with trade paperbacks
  • Ahriman 2-3 + leftover shorts by John French. I picked up book two and all, but for some reason never went on with it. Probably due to the post-End Times drop of interest
  • Resurrection by John French

There's bound to be additions, but those are books that I've wanted to get on with or am really looking forward to already.

Just for contrast, here's a selection of books outside of GW that are on the list/bedside table for one reason or another and I want to get through in 2017:

• Age of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan, since Age of Myth was great and I loved his Riyria novels
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes Vol.4: Stratagem, preordered even though preordering #3 got me the book a month late anyway
  • The City of Ice by K.M.McKinley, loved The Iron Ship for its worldbuilding and characters even though it is slow and thick
  • Star Wars Canon novels: Lost Stars, Ahsoka, maybe force myself to finish Aftermath and Life Debt, but right now I'm still going through the Rogue One novelization (since I already read Catalyst, the prequel), Thrawn when it releases
  • Death's End by Cixin Liu
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan, because that entire series was delightful
  • Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson, just waiting for a neat trade paperback that combines both volumes, like they released for the first book. Also gonna try to start Mistborn, mayhaps
  • Red Sister by Mark Lawrence
  • Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan
  • Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys, due in April but I got a review copy on my bedside table
  • The Red Knight by Miles Cameron
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu, once I can decide which print version to get (because the US has nicer covers but different formats, while UK version looks dumb, and the French one is written in gibberish but has Marc Simonetti and I might still pray for a reprint with that one...)
  • Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel, as an audiobook (written in personal accounts and reports, or interviews, so perfect for multi-actor audiobooks; worked fantastic for book one)
  • Yamada Monogatari's remaining three novels by Richard Parks

And that's ignoring another time as much that I'd like to squeeze in somewhere but undoubtedly will not be able to unless a miracle happens.

My list's growing and already piled to high heaven with non-BL stuff, but let's see...

• Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan by Gav Thorpe (and hopefully Jain Zar soon after, eh?)
  • Whichever Primarchs novellas and Horus Heresy stories release, and catching up on the few stragglers I haven't read yet, like Wolf King and Cybernetica
  • Slaughter at Giant's Coffin by "L J" Goulding, though I might wait til the Scythes omnibus later in the year
  • Shadowsword by Guy Haley, since I haven't picked it up yet to maintain shelf integrity with trade paperbacks
  • Ahriman 2-3 + leftover shorts by John French. I picked up book two and all, but for some reason never went on with it. Probably due to the post-End Times drop of interest

There's bound to be additions, but those are books that I've wanted to get on with or am really looking forward to already.

Just for contrast, here's a selection of books outside of GW that are on the list/bedside table for one reason or another and I want to get through in 2017:

• Age of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan, since Age of Myth was great and I loved his Riyria novels
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes Vol.4: Stratagem, preordered even though preordering #3 got me the book a month late anyway
  • The City of Ice by K.M.McKinley, loved The Iron Ship for its worldbuilding and characters even though it is slow and thick
  • Star Wars Canon novels: Lost Stars, Ahsoka, maybe force myself to finish Aftermath and Life Debt, but right now I'm still going through the Rogue One novelization (since I already read Catalyst, the prequel), Thrawn when it releases
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan, because that entire series was delightful
  • Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson, just waiting for a neat trade paperback that combines both volumes, like they released for the first book. Also gonna try to start Mistborn, mayhaps
  • Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys, due in April but I got a review copy on my bedside table
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakhai by Bradley P. Beaulieu, once I can decide which print version to get (because the US has nicer covers but different formats, while UK version looks dumb, and the French one is written in gibberish but has Marc Simonetti and I might still pray for a reprint with that one...)
  • Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel, as an audiobook (written in personal accounts and reports, or interviews, so perfect for multi-actor audiobooks; worked fantastic for book one)

And that's ignoring another time as much that I'd like to squeeze in somewhere but undoubtedly will not be able to unless a miracle happens.

The BL releases I am very much interested in already are:

Leman Russ: The Great Wolf- Wraight

Magnus: Master of Prospero- McNeill

Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia- Haley

The Carrion Throne- Wraight

The Emperor's Legion- Wraight

The Crimson King-McNeill

Horus Heresy book 43

The Black Legion- ADB

In the next few weeks I aim to be onto Horus Heresy Inferno, which just looks spectacular, as well as Fall of Cadia, and the Tzeentch Battletome.

From the Non-BL list, I am looking forward to getting:

The Unholy Consult-Scott Bakker ( superb Fantasy series, everyone needs to try this)

Fool's Fate-Robin Hobb ( a personal top favorite, this is the final book in the saga)

Winds of Winter-GRRM ( surely a 2017 release one hopes, how much longer could he possible take?)

The Witchwood Crown- Tad Williams ( Williams returns to the world of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn after 25 years)

In Calabria- Peter Beagle 

From your list I am interested in the second Neuvel book. I did not buy the first one because I wanted to see how it goes on and Waking Gods looks good, so will give that a chance. I also have Voyage of the Basilisks by Brennan to read, that is a very nicely written pseudo historical Fantasy, with a very scientific approach to dragons.

My list for BL in 2017 looks something like this (will read in order published most likely)...

The Carrion Throne - Wraight

The Emperor's Legion - Wraight

The Black Legion - ADB

Ahriman omnibus - French

Resurrection: The Horusian Wars - French

Several HH books (as I only buy MMPB so a bit behind)...

HH War Without End

HH Pharos - Haley

HH Eye of Terra

HH Path of Heaven - Wraight

HH The Silent War

Firecaste - Fehervari (if I can locate a copy)

And then other books depending on how well they review.

To get back into the reading rhythm I need in 2017 I'm making a list of books--the ever-changing queue. In addition to my resolution to finally start and read Gaunt's Ghosts (I have all expect the 2016 releases) I'm moving around books still to read, those I'd like to re-read, and placeholders for what I know is coming now that BL has a coming soon section.

Here's mine for starters:

edit: see, already making changes smile.png

1. Carcharadons (just started)
  2. Garro (42)
  3. Titanicus
  4. Genestealers Cults
  5. Firecaste
  6. Leman Russ primarch book
  7. Ragnar Blackmane
  8. Archaon: Lord of Chaos
  9. Magnus primarch book
  10. begin GG

What's yours?

Anything I haven't read yet. And - I read everything BL/Forge World related to date....

It seems - it's time to check some other universe. BL authors and releases are soo slow biggrin.png

My list for BL in 2017 looks something like this (will read in order published most likely)...

The Black Legion - ADB

Ahriman omnibus - French

Resurrection: The Horusian Wars - French

Several HH books (as I only buy MMPB so a bit behind)...

HH War Without End

HH Pharos - Haley

HH Eye of Terra

HH Path of Heaven - Wraight

HH The Silent War

Firecaste - Fehervari (if I can locate a copy)

And then other books depending on how well they review.

Carrion Throne and The Black Legion - are must read for sure. Will get them on the day of pre-order in any condition (hardback, limited etc.)

And definitely Ruinstorm (mass void battles in HH AT LAST)

Those short gaps between posts are usually shorter than what consideration time I like to give myself before submitting, haha.

@veterannoob, if you'd like some recommendations... But hey, you actually did read outside of BL! I spotted The Emperor's Railroad on your Twitter feed ;)

I've promised friends that I'd read the first three Dune books and all of A Song of Ice and Fire in the near future, so that leaves Black Library a little pushed to the side. What I'd definitely like to get done is as follows:

Master of Mankind (Whenever it arrives)

Leman Russ: The Great Wolf

Carchoradons

The Beast Arises series

The Talon of Horus

The Emperor's Gift

Those short gaps between posts are usually shorter than what consideration time I like to give myself before submitting, haha.

@veterannoob, if you'd like some recommendations... But hey, you actually did read outside of BL! I spotted The Emperor's Railroad on your Twitter feed msn-wink.gif

Hell's Bells, you're right! I did, plus a bunch of other books though I would name them for school, in the broadest sense. Audible also did book one in Gav Thorpe's Crown of the Blood HBO-Fantasy setting laugh.png From one of the like, 6, Gav interviews in 2016, he referred to it jokingly like this. Think that made it onto the air...

I do my planning for reading quarterly. So for the first quarter of 2017...

Legion of the Damned, by Rob Sanders, which I already started and which I am liking thus far.

Then, Rynn's World, by Steve Parker. Then, The Macharian Crusade series, and then The Beast Arises series. Seems like a good plan for the beginning of the year. I will decide what to do next in march. Or earlier, if I exceed my own pace.

I forgot that the Macharian Crusade omnibus is due in a few months. I managed to snatch the hardback of Angel of Fire on preorder, I assume they made a pricing mistake at the time since it was damn cheap. Good book, but I never took the plunge on the rest. Will have to grab the omnibus when it releases.

On this 3 I totally agree!

Plus I totally agree with DukeLeto (You know that he died - right? msn-wink.gif ) about

The Black Legion - ADB

That is a must read!

this forum

http://i67.tinypic.com/29w7mg0.jpg

It's easy then you have clones hopkins ;) You could use slaves work yourself - if you want to. Just make a candystick and a candy house :)

And don't be a follower of Slaanesh. Envy is a sin Chaos Gods do approve biggrin.png

I might wanna add a none BL author:

David Kirks Child of Vengeance and Sword of Honor.

Both were recommended by bluntblade and hopefully, they will help me to emphasize with the Samurai setting even more to get the right feeling and inspiration for my Knight Household of Toho. :)

Plus I totally agree with DukeLeto (You know that he died - right? ;) ) about

The Black Legion - ADB

That is a must read!

Ah but the sleeper has awakened! And I never liked the name Paul anyway!

I can recommend the Butlers Djihad series and the other trilogy of it, legacy of dune? Can't remember it's name.

There were two trilogies which were settled long before the events of Dune.

I can recommend the Butlers Djihad series and the other trilogy of it, legacy of dune? Can't remember it's name.

There were two trilogies which were settled long before the events of Dune.

IMHO the books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are nowhere near as good, complex or thought provoking as Frank Herbert's original 6 books. They have a completely different style and read more like (very good) fan fiction. In and of themselves the books are ok but of varying quality (the "House" books were the best) and simply lack the depth or creativity of Herbert senior.

Clearly W40k has Dune as one of the major influences and there is a direct read across of some concepts. Actually W40k is a lovely melange of Dune, Moorcock, 2000AD and Lovecraft. Would like to see more references to Lovecraft (looking at you Peter Fehervari)

Archived