Reading list for 2017

veterannoob

I can recommend the Butlers Djihad series and the other trilogy of it, legacy of dune? Can't remember it's name.

There were two trilogies which were settled long before the events of Dune.

IMHO the books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are nowhere near as good, complex or thought provoking as Frank Herbert's original 6 books. They have a completely different style and read more like (very good) fan fiction. In and of themselves the books are ok but of varying quality (the "House" books were the best) and simply lack the depth or creativity of Herbert senior.

Clearly W40k has Dune as one of the major influences and there is a direct read across of some concepts. Actually W40k is a lovely melange of Dune, Moorcock, 2000AD and Lovecraft. Would like to see more references to Lovecraft (looking at you Peter Fehervari)

Indeed - that's simple profiting and kicking of a dead (or not so dead) horse etc. etc. But let's get back to our Black Library reading list.

Hasn't anyone at least a little pissed off that BL re-release old anthologies stuff again under numbered main line? 2016 was a unique year? Now it's the same again - first HH truly new book  - 1 in 5 months?

But let's get back to our Black Library reading list.

Hasn't anyone at least a little pissed off that BL re-release old anthologies stuff again under numbered main line? 2016 was a unique year? Now it's the same again - first HH truly new book - 1 in 5 months?

I think anyone being pissed would be coming over all entitled and maybe needs to chill a bit, there are more important things to get angry about in the world.

BUT...

I understand disappointment and frustration about the wait and reissuing of stories you already own.

HOWEVER...

We still know there are several announced novels this year, just not as soon as some might hope.

Also worth reiterating that there are plenty of people (including me) who do not buy the limited edition novellas, games day specials, e shorts etc etc so pulling together all of these into anthologies is actually very welcome.

Indeed for someone like me (who only buys HH in MMPB... Not because I am tight but because I must have a form of OCD and like my book collection uniform on the shelf... Had HH started out in Hardback or Trade Paperback I would been wedded to that format) who is over a year (or nearly two?) behind it is also welcome to have anthologies in paperback.

We can debate all we like about the merits of whether anthologies should be part of the numbered series. Personally I am agnostic on this.

I did like Laurie's suggestion that if they could go back they "might" decide to release HH differently by focusing mini series within the overall series on specific legions or Primarchs or battles/event and allow people to read what they want when they want rather than following a somewhat loose chronology. If all books are ultimately collected into omnibuses that might allow for that experience in the future but...too late for us trailblazers LOL

I don't want them to redo the HH. I'd rather they just moved on to other timeline events that need covering. Scouring etc

That will happen eventually. That's not an issue.

Hasn't anyone at least a little pissed off that BL re-release old anthologies stuff again under numbered main line? 2016 was a unique year? Now it's the same again - first HH truly new book - 1 in 5 months?

I think anyone being pissed would be coming over all entitled and maybe needs to chill a bit, there are more important things to get angry about in the world.

BUT...

I understand disappointment and frustration about the wait and reissuing of stories you already own.

HOWEVER...

We still know there are several announced novels this year, just not as soon as some might hope.

Also worth reiterating that there are plenty of people (including me) who do not buy the limited edition novellas, games day specials, e shorts etc etc so pulling together all of these into anthologies is actually very welcome.

Indeed for someone like me (who only buys HH in MMPB... Not because I am tight but because I must have a form of OCD and like my book collection uniform on the shelf... Had HH started out in Hardback or Trade Paperback I would been wedded to that format) who is over a year (or nearly two?) behind it is also welcome to have anthologies in paperback.

We can debate all we like about the merits of whether anthologies should be part of the numbered series. Personally I am agnostic on this.

I did like Laurie's suggestion that if they could go back they "might" decide to release HH differently by focusing mini series within the overall series on specific legions or Primarchs or battles/event and allow people to read what they want when they want rather than following a somewhat loose chronology. If all books are ultimately collected into omnibuses that might allow for that experience in the future but...too late for us trailblazers LOL

Yes and no. There is not only the question of old/new stuff - but a question of quality. In 2016 we had Wraight, French, A D-B good stories to follow. And due to the previous experience with their novels - you could expect good. This year? Nick Kyme 'Old Earth' - last salamander SM will simply commit suicide and drops dead. David Annandale? His previous sojorn into HH was a 'good' horror story, but a numbered/separate HH novel - no way. Another Garro and Meduson rerelease? Mehhhh.

McNeil - TS were brilliant, Angel Exterminatus simply horrible as Vengeful spirit. So it's a roll of the dice for 'The Crimson King'.

Echoes of Revelations - another anthology with complied audios from Advent?

Yeah - this year already sucks for Horus Heresy. The only bright point is a soon to be released Forge World 'Inferno' sad.png

I believe the Minotaurs appeared in one of George Mann's Raven Guard audio dramas, which were printed in Legends of the Dark Millennium: Sons of Corax recently

I don't want them to redo the HH. I'd rather they just moved on to other timeline events that need covering. Scouring etc

BUT...

HOWEVER...

Yes and no. There is not only the question of old/new stuff - but a question of quality. In 2016 we had Wraight, French, A D-B good stories to follow. And due to the previous experience with their novels - you could expect good. This year? Nick Kyme 'Old Earth' - last salamander SM will simply commit suicide and drops dead. David Annandale? His previous sojorn into HH was a 'good' horror story, but a numbered/separate HH novel - no way. Another Garro and Meduson rerelease? Mehhhh.

McNeil - TS were brilliant, Angel Exterminatus simply horrible as Vengeful spirit. So it's a roll of the dice for 'The Crimson King'.

Yeah - this year already sucks for Horus Heresy. The only bright point is a soon to be released Forge World 'Inferno' sad.png

Isn't it pretty foolish to expect a particularly strong year after a lengthy draught to be the new baseline standard for the series from then on?

Are we really complaining about collections of old material to kick off the new year, when we had Eye of Terra, War Without End AND The Silent War over the course of 2016, ALONGSIDE Pharos, The Path of Heaven, Angels of Caliban, Praetorian of Dorn, Corax and The Master of Mankind? In fact, we could chalk Corax up for a collection spot as well.

Really, we got an exceptional year out of the Horus Heresy in 2016. A bunch of that might have reached us earlier if not for behind the scenes shenanigans, and then 2016 would've looked a little different. We already know that the series will be getting the long-wished-for Tallarn mainline collection this year, besides The Crimson King and Ruinstorm, and probably Old Earth too. Nevermind The Binary Succession and at least three more Primarch novels (Magnus, Perturabo, Lorgar) I'd wager.

How much more do you really need? The last year must've really spoiled you if a lineup like that is suddenly horrible because they're frontloading an anthology and a merged novel with new material. How can that sour the entire year full of new content nobody has read yet?

Nevermind that it has *always* been a big wish / need of the fandom to have these collections released as part of the mainline series. Damn them if they do, damn them if they don't. While I think that at least *some* new material should make it into every anthology, when that happened in the past, people were unhappy with it as well.

Or are these complaints simply more of the "my favorite authors aren't writing these books so I dislike them by default" variety?

I believe the Minotaurs appeared in one of George Mann's Raven Guard audio dramas, which were printed in Legends of the Dark Millennium: Sons of Corax recently

BUT...

HOWEVER...

Isn't it pretty foolish to expect a particularly strong year after a lengthy draught to be the new baseline standard for the series from then on?

Are we really complaining about collections of old material to kick off the new year, when we had Eye of Terra, War Without End AND The Silent War over the course of 2016, ALONGSIDE Pharos, The Path of Heaven, Angels of Caliban, Praetorian of Dorn, Corax and The Master of Mankind? In fact, we could chalk Corax up for a collection spot as well.

Really, we got an exceptional year out of the Horus Heresy in 2016. A bunch of that might have reached us earlier if not for behind the scenes shenanigans, and then 2016 would've looked a little different. We already know that the series will be getting the long-wished-for Tallarn mainline collection this year, besides The Crimson King and Ruinstorm, and probably Old Earth too. Nevermind The Binary Succession and at least three more Primarch novels (Magnus, Perturabo, Lorgar) I'd wager.

How much more do you really need? The last year must've really spoiled you if a lineup like that is suddenly horrible because they're frontloading an anthology and a merged novel with new material. How can that sour the entire year full of new content nobody has read yet?

Nevermind that it has *always* been a big wish / need of the fandom to have these collections released as part of the mainline series. Damn them if they do, damn them if they don't. While I think that at least *some* new material should make it into every anthology, when that happened in the past, people were unhappy with it as well.

Or are these complaints simply more of the "my favorite authors aren't writing these books so I dislike them by default" variety?

I still believe in some 'surprise' at HH Weekender. I'm SURE that 'Inferno' would be AWESOME.

Ruinstorm - could be amazing, but could be another Angels of Caliban mashed up with Damnation of Pythos.

Crimson King the same.

'Old Earth' - It's a compation to simply shoot Salamanders myself.

And anthologies, anthologies, anthologies .....

What I want (and a lot of people who I know and have a privilege to count among friends) - is not a straightforward run to Terra. But a high quality novels at least once each 2-3 months. I follow HH from the start. And read new stuff on a day of release. For me ((and a lot of people who I know and have a privilege to count among friends) all these re-released old stuff/novellas/anthologies are simply an absence of anything HH to read.

I do understand that there are a lot of new readers - who bought short/audio stuff under one cover. That's release for them and their kind.

But if you do that - please be so kind to release at least something new for old HH readers. A new novella - and not some religious ... like Vow of Faith etc.

But good HH stuff we like the setting for.

You are aware how long it takes to write things, given the freelance nature of the authors that more than likely have one project on at a time.

And, not everyone can afford to buy every single thing the day it comes out, we need these anthologies/compilations, end of.

And black library to us as setting fans actually owe us nothing, because it's already there, set out, timelined and scheduled.

Patience is a virtue.

But good HH stuff we like the setting for.

And that's the crux of the matter I guess. People like the HH / 40k for different reasons. They like different aspects. They like excursions to prepare the way for events down the line, or the origins of the Imperial Creed and the Grey Knights.

Even among the anthologies so far, I can probably point you to at a third of its stories that I found damn good and enriched the setting for me. I'm sure most people can say similar things, even if their picks will differ.

It is time for us fans to realise that our views on the setting aren't necessarily the alpha and omega. That there's more in it to appeal to people that aren't us. That even a much-maligned Kaldor Draigo is part of this franchise and there are fans of his whose opinions and tastes are no less valid just because we may not share them or have a different perspective entirely.

In the end we can only speak for ourselves, not the collective fandom. It is arrogant at best to pretend that one can.

You are aware how long it takes to write things, given the freelance nature of the authors that more than likely have one project on at a time.

And, not everyone can afford to buy every single thing the day it comes out, we need these anthologies/compilations, end of.

And black library to us as setting fans actually owe us nothing, because it's already there, set out, timelined and scheduled.

Patience is a virtue.

Agree on every point. Yes - you are right.

But they could plan - the time of releases to cover all the year.

Patience is overrated biggrin.png

IMHO the books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are nowhere near as good, complex or thought provoking as Frank Herbert's original 6 books. They have a completely different style and read more like (very good) fan fiction. In and of themselves the books are ok but of varying quality (the "House" books were the best)

The House books were tolerable

The Butlerian Jihad books were bland and uninspired...character development of almost nil. They painfully highlight Brian and Kevin's story-telling and writing inferiority compared to Frank.

I have not even tried reading the "of Dune" books (the interquels and sequels).

Plenty of fan fiction has prose far superior to the bland-beyond-bland prose of Brian and Kevin

IMHO the books written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are nowhere near as good, complex or thought provoking as Frank Herbert's original 6 books. They have a completely different style and read more like (very good) fan fiction. In and of themselves the books are ok but of varying quality (the "House" books were the best)

The Butlerian Jihad books were bland and uninspired...character development of almost nil. They painfully highlight Brian and Kevin's story-telling and writing inferiority compared to Frank.

Plenty of fan fiction has prose far superior to the bland-beyond-bland prose of Brian and Kevin

That's the problem of our generation b1soul  We have a lot of sci-fi/battle fantastic FROM DIFFERENT authors and settings to read, lol :)

Unfortunately I don´t keep up to date on all the latest news from BL, though this is my list as of now.

*Carcharodons Red Tithe

*Praetorian of Dorn

*Slaughter at Giant´s Coffin

*Garro

*The Horusian Wars- Resurrection

*Black Legion

Probably gonna start with the Primarchs books this year to. MoM got me in the mood for more BL. For several years I was sort of in and out, mostly dropping in when A D-B released something new, or when French dropped a new Ahriman book. But after reading MoM I have ordered several book, and planning to dedicate 2017 to keeping up to date with BL releases and getting up to date in HH

I agree with what you say but I have to confess to enjoying the "House" books. They arrived at a time when I needed some science fantasy to read (never been into hard science fiction) and in the period before I rediscovered W40k having stopped playing in the mid 90s and 2nd edition. I had read (and was only aware of) the Ian Watson novels from the early 90s but totally unaware of Black Library.

It was actually a visit to a book shop to get the next Dune book in 2006 that made me discover a big display/section of BL books (Waterstones in Trafalgar Square). I saw this big thick awesome sounding book with a great cover called Eisenhorn. 100s of books later here I am with an almost obsessive consumption of 40k and HH going on.

And speaking of reading list for 2017, I was also thinking about getting the Enforcer omnibus. Is it any good?

Tis old and amazing. Farrer if I'm not mistaken. And Matthew writes brilliant stories. I don't no why he is not a fulltime BL writer.

'awesome sounding book with a great cover called Eisenhorn. 100s of books later' -

LOL, THAT'S the story for the most of us.

And speaking of reading list for 2017, I was also thinking about getting the Enforcer omnibus. Is it any good?

If you like stories with incredible world building that take place away from the battlefield (not a space marine in sight) and give you great insight into how different Imperial organisations work and what life in in the Imperium is like then Yes Yes Yes buy it. Absolutely fabulous read.

Tis old and amazing. Farrer if I'm not mistaken. And Matthew writes brilliant stories. I don't no why he is not a fulltime BL writer.

'awesome sounding book with a great cover called Eisenhorn. 100s of books later' -

Yes it holds a special place in my heart and I have read it several times. The opening chapter is simply awesome!

If you like stories with incredible world building that take place away from the battlefield (not a space marine in sight) and give you great insight into how different Imperial organisations work and what life in in the Imperium is like then Yes Yes Yes buy it. Absolutely fabulous read.

I've read every published Horus Heresy story last year. Stories without battles or Space Marines would be appreciated, yes. And I do enjoy world building.

Yes it holds a special place in my heart and I have read it several times. The opening chapter is simply awesome!

Yeah, my friend gave it to me saying - 'Do you want to read a detective story?'

I've read every published Horus Heresy story last year. Stories without battles or Space Marines would be appreciated, yes. And I do enjoy world building.

2013-2015 stuff is for your liking then :)

biggrin.png

Archived