Syn's Emperors Children

SystemSyn

I thought that thingy in the middle of this armour was a small head that was hangingfrom a really long neck xD

Anyways i really like that jetpack you made from the blighdrone bitz

If you want the helbrute hammer i have one (and other helbute weapons) lying around pm me if you want them ;)

That looks pretty sweet! Very interesting nurgle prince, I kinda like that he's not all swollen and fat. Maybe a more malnourished look would be cool?

I see what you're saying about the feet, they look vaguely avian as is, and that sort of tzeentch blasphemy won't do on a nurle model:) Maybe try sculpting some hooves? Shouldn't be too hard

In all honesty I am considering giving him a bit of a belly. I was going to give him a belly plate like some of the Plague Marines have, but now that I've started assembling him I really want to keep the spiky belt thing. So I might combine the two ideas and have the remains of an armour plate with a belly and guts spilling out. I'm still playing around with ideas at the moment.

As for the feet, I think your right. I might have to just make hooves out of putty. Although I was playing around with the clawed feet he's got just now and if I reposition the toes I could have him gripping onto something. Might look pretty cool?

I thought that thingy in the middle of this armour was a small head that was hangingfrom a really long neck xD

Anyways i really like that jetpack you made from the blighdrone bitz

If you want the helbrute hammer i have one (and other helbute weapons) lying around pm me if you want them ;)

Well thanks very much, that's very kind of you. But I'm tempted to pick up the whole kit, I've got a few conversion plans that need bits from the Helbrute so it would make sense to get the whole thing.

This is gonna be cool, I'd suggest maybe adding more of a stoop to him though. Looking forward to what you come up with for the head. :tu:

I agree. I think I'll need to work on his whole pose. Luckily hardly any of the parts are glued together. As for the head, I'm a little bit lost. I've had a few ideas but for one reason or another I've decided against them. So the search for a head continues!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my local club had its first 8th edition 40K tournament. It was a really good day I had three really fun games against 3 great opponents. The first game was against a fellow Chaos player (using 3 Knights!), the second game I was up against Dark Angels, and in the third game I was up against Orks. I did manage to snap a few photos throughout the day, although the clubs lighting is pretty rubbish, so they're not great quality. But here they are anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/mS9J6UI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xY4MZS9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1QSEWYB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/b5ACH8t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fzQen3V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wMoFNjy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QCP37lm.jpg

All in all I didn't perform terribly well. Overall I came second last! But I'm not a competitive player; I'm just there to have a bit of fun. On a slight tangent, some people have already started getting reeeeeally competitive with 8th ed. Luckily I didn't have to take any of them on, but there were a few guys at the tournament with nasty looking lists. One guy had a Tzeentch Daemon army with 8 Daemon Princes, And another guy had an Ultramarines army with only 8 models (including Roboute Guilliman, an Imperial Knight and a Thunderhawk Gun Ship!). But like i say I'm not competitive, I'm just there for a bit of fun. Though I did win best army and walked away with this awesome trophy

http://i.imgur.com/TQUiz4s.jpg

And I couldn't resist snapping a few photos of the force that got my Best Army vote. Many of you may well recognise this army.

http://i.imgur.com/FqX2a0w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/omAPtLf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kRlbbzI.jpg

I'm hoping to have a proper update tomorrow.

Edited by SystemSyn

Thanks Traitor and Biohazard. I'm much more into the modelling and converting side of the hobby, so when I do play games it’s really just for the fun of it. I don't care much for actually winning. Just like in my recent game against Biohazard; neither of us really bothered with any of the objectives and I don't have a clue who actually won in the end, but it was a really fun game. So getting the best army award was a huge win in my opinion.

Here's the 'proper' update I mentioned yesterday. I've got the Champion for my unit of Chosen put together. He still needs a bit of gap filling but he's almost ready for paint now.

http://i.imgur.com/NwJHw0d.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HUwAXKV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pi1iiRz.jpg

Well done on the Best army award Syn :D  Just to ask what Black Library novel did you get?  Also the terrain look really cool, as said the skull would look great on the new Space Marine Dreadnought, just convert him up as the siege Dreadnought from Forge World from the Chaos Index book.

All in all I didn't perform terribly well. Overall I came second last! But I'm not a competitive player; I'm just there to have a bit of fun. On a slight tangent, some people have already started getting reeeeeally competitive with 8th ed. Luckily I didn't have to take any of them on, but there were a few guys at the tournament with nasty looking lists. One guy had a Tzeentch Daemon army with 8 Daemon Princes, And another guy had an Ultramarines army with only 8 models (including Roboute Guilliman, an Imperial Knight and a Thunderhawk Gun Ship!). But like i say I'm not competitive, I'm just there for a bit of fun. Though I did win best army and walked away with this awesome trophy

Agree
​For me I don't mind competitive, say Liam.  Liam a really great person & make his own list, it like 2008-2012 era, tough list that are great to game against & a extremely great oppent to game against.  I'm just there to get some great & fun games, have some epic moment regardless finial out come, spending the day or weekend getting games as I don't get as many games as I'd like.
​It just when people take sort internet list, list build around abuse a rule, like Deathstar.  That the sort of way I really don't like or enjoy the gaming side that all & some time the oppent run "those" list can make it even less enjoyable & how some want there game over by turn 2...

​How are you find the new codex Chaos?  As you where saying about a new Exalted Champion :biggrin.: 

​Also thanks for the Iron Warrior shoulder pad, that'll be use on my new Exalted Champion.  I also meant to say during the event, I've got some unpainted Slannesh Daemons I saved, just a friend was clear out a lot hobby stuff.  If I can find them again I'll bring them to Winter War for you before our grudge match :biggrin.:

​I've posted the photos I've taken of your own force over on my new army log as well :biggrin.:

Edited by Insane Psychopath

Nice! The topknot looks great on that head. I love the waist as well, it really reminds me of the Adrian Smith artwork from the last codex :tu:

Thanks man, that artwork was actually the optional inspiration for that part of the conversion. Though I've just noticed that the topknot is squint, so I'll have to fix that up before painting him.

Well done on the Best army award Syn :D  Just to ask what Black Library novel did you get?  Also the terrain look really cool, as said the skull would look great on the new Space Marine Dreadnought, just convert him up as the siege Dreadnought from Forge World from the Chaos Index book.

Agree

​For me I don't mind competitive, say Liam.  Liam a really great person & make his own list, it like 2008-2012 era, tough list that are great to game against & a extremely great oppent to game against.  I'm just there to get some great & fun games, have some epic moment regardless finial out come, spending the day or weekend getting games as I don't get as many games as I'd like.

​It just when people take sort internet list, list build around abuse a rule, like Deathstar.  That the sort of way I really don't like or enjoy the gaming side that all & some time the oppent run "those" list can make it even less enjoyable & how some want there game over by turn 2...

​How are you find the new codex Chaos?  As you where saying about a new Exalted Champion :D 

​Also thanks for the Iron Warrior shoulder pad, that'll be use on my new Exalted Champion.  I also meant to say during the event, I've got some unpainted Slannesh Daemons I saved, just a friend was clear out a lot hobby stuff.  If I can find them again I'll bring them to Winter War for you before our grudge match :D

​I've posted the photos I've taken of your own force over on my new army log as well :D

Hey man, your most welcome for the pad. It was just sitting in my bits box and I figured you can put it to good use :)

I'm really liking the new codex so far, but I've got a bit of a snag. Now I may just be being silly here, but I don't really understand the Emperor's Children legion trait. I get the first part, I can attack first even if it's not my turn. But I'm not making much sense of the seconds part. If you give it read you.might understand it better.

Yes it's a bit confusing, but I recently saw it very well explained on the Chaos Forum (don't remember by who, sorry): in the combat phase in 8th edition there are two kind of units, those who strike first and those who don't. Usually, only units that have charged strike first, but some abilities, such as the one that Emperor Children get, also allow you to strike first. This means that sometimes two units should strike first at the same time (for example EC Noise Marine unit gets charged) so, in those cases you also have to alternate, which is what is written in the second part of the EC trait.

To sum up, you first alternate between units that strike first, and then you alternate between unit's that don't strike first.

Good mixing of bits, along with the GS he looks very good with a distinctive pose well suited to the power fist so he's going to look very characterful once painted up :thumbsup:

To sum up, you first alternate between units that strike first, and then you alternate between unit's that don't strike first.

As Traitor said it's best to imagine it as splitting units in combat into sets of charging/count as charging:

1. Units charging in combat with enemy units that aren't charging
  2. Mutually charging units in combat against each other alternate player activation as normal (i.e. starting with the current turn's player)
  3. Non-charging units continue the activation process

Don't forget this means you can spend some Command Points to further foil your opponent's plans if you want that first activation :wink:

Congratulations! That's an incredibly imaginative army, though, so the trophy was well earned! Slaanesh can be really awesome when done really, really well, but it's a tough act to pull off.

On the latest guy, the combi-weapon throws me off a bit: It seems so clunky and unrefined: Is there any way you could make it sleeker and more baroque, to better match the rest of the model?

Well done on the Best army award Syn :D  Just to ask what Black Library novel did you get?

Sorry, I totally forgot to get back to about this. The novel is called Astra Militarum. Its a bunch of short stories about different Imperial Guard regiments.

Yes it's a bit confusing, but I recently saw it very well explained on the Chaos Forum (don't remember by who, sorry): in the combat phase in 8th edition there are two kind of units, those who strike first and those who don't. Usually, only units that have charged strike first, but some abilities, such as the one that Emperor Children get, also allow you to strike first. This means that sometimes two units should strike first at the same time (for example EC Noise Marine unit gets charged) so, in those cases you also have to alternate, which is what is written in the second part of the EC trait.

Thanks for the explanation :) Though, that actually doesn't sound all that useful. If they had just left it at getting to attack first then it'd be much more effective.

That champion looks amazing! Love all the sculpting work, but your skill with small details is really phenomenal! I mean that slaanesh icon on the bolter is tiny! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks very much. I'm surprised you noticed the symbol on the side of the gun! It was a nightmare to sculpt.

Good mixing of bits, along with the GS he looks very good with a distinctive pose well suited to the power fist so he's going to look very characterful once painted up :tu:

As Traitor said it's best to imagine it as splitting units in combat into sets of charging/count as charging:

• Units charging in combat with enemy units that aren't charging
  • Mutually charging units in combat against each other alternate player activation as normal (i.e. starting with the current turn's player)
  • Non-charging units continue the activation process
Don't forget this means you can spend some Command Points to further foil your opponent's plans if you want that first activation ;)

Well thanks, I'm glad to see the Champion is receiving such a positive response. I'm still trying to get my head around how to use command points effectively. I've not had all that many games so far, so I'm very much still finding my feet with 8th ed.

Congratulations! That's an incredibly imaginative army, though, so the trophy was well earned! Slaanesh can be really awesome when done really, really well, but it's a tough act to pull off.

On the latest guy, the combi-weapon throws me off a bit: It seems so clunky and unrefined: Is there any way you could make it sleeker and more baroque, to better match the rest of the model?

I never really thought about that, but I do see what you mean. It looks to me like the ammo box is adding a lot of bulk to the gun. If it were a standard magazine or a naked feed it may look a lot more streamlined. But I quite like the chunky look the gun has, for me it helps to balance the model as it reflects the similarly large power fist on his other side.

Congratulations on winning Best Army! :tu:

Thanks very much :)

Thanks for the explanation :smile.: Though, that actually doesn't sound all that useful. If they had just left it at getting to attack first then it'd be much more effective.

It is actually really good. Combats are no longer resolved one at a time but by each individual unit that's engaged. This means that a charging player who has multiple units charging in gets to strike with all of them followed by first pick of any units still in combat from the previous turn. being able to interrupt that and remove casualties from a unit that is yet to attack can make or break a combat phase especially against the more glass cannon units like geanstealers or some eldar. 

It isn't going to make much difference in some games and others it'll be the difference between win or lose. 

The new champion is looking good as well. 

Recently I put all my Noise Marines onto 32mm bases. I took this opportunity to theme they're bases a bit better too. I've added a bunch of battle field debris and painted it in a really rusty colour scheme to contrast with the clean look of the Marines themselves. So I thought I'd show how they're looking now.

http://i.imgur.com/rD2cTul.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bCmoLV5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1H47oWa.jpg

And the whole lot all together.

http://i.imgur.com/B0UWkH2.jpg

• 1 month later...

This log is still alive, I swear! I've not had a whole lot of time for the hobby lately, and the little time I have had has largely been spent paining Tyranids for a friend. But I got back to work on the Chosen recently, and they're shaping up nicely. So far the main bodies are done, I've still got the backpacks and Champion to do.

KJv6N6S.jpg

And I picked up my next project recently.

5MdlqVT.jpg

Can't wait to see what you make with the Redemptor, your walkers are awesome! Also, nice chosen, they're looking great.

Thanks very much Traitor! Glad you like the Chosen so far.

The group shots are excellent, the bases look spot on. Really liking the Chosen so far as well and I’m also looking forward to what you do with that Dread. :tu:

Cheers Bio, I'm pretty chuffed with how the new 32mm bases turned out too. The Dread is on my desk, slowly being Chaosifyed as we speak.

I can't believe I haven't looked in this log til now; wow! Great conversions all around, and an incredible paint job - vibrant, tight, consistent. Great great job. :)

Well then welcome to my log! Thanks for all the kind words, glad you like what I've got to offer :)

Chosen are looking sharp!

And interested in seeing what you do with that dreadnought. Please tell me it's going to be a sonic dread, pretty please.

Sorry, I totally forgot to say what I'm actually planning to do with the Dread. I'm wanting to convert it into a Leviathan Siege Dreadnought. And I'm thinking of arming it with a Soulburner Rebudkin, mainly because there isn't currently a model for that weapon. So I can theme it as a Sonic weapon. The rules don't really fit, but it'll look cool!