EVENT - The Schism of Mars

bluntblade

The Emperor’s Shield and Sword

Icarion’s belief that Alexandros would join him proved utterly misplaced. Far from securing Kelbor-Hal’s uprising, the Warmaster’s Legion was well-placed to counter it. Alexandros himself was besieged by the fallout from the Day of Revelation, and unable to take direct action on Mars, save perhaps for one, singularly devastating intervention.

With Magma City alone among the Forges that survived the (scrapcode/djinn) attack, Kelbor-Hal ordered the Legio Mortis to march with all the force they could muster. The surviving engines of Legio Tempestus and the Knights of Taranis prepared to resist, but the cold arithmetic of war could not be ignored; this was to be a last stand that could only slow the enemy.

Yet into this equation, an unexpected factor intruded. Mere kilometres from their objective, the Imperator Aquila Ignis turned upon its lesser brethren with murderous violence. The cause is contested even now, and with the fragmentary evidence left by the Hereteks, the truth will likely remain shrouded for all time. Fragmentary data-ledgers attest to Princeps Camulos declaring judgement and sentence for high treason, claiming to speak with the voice of Alexandros. Some suggest that the volatile and prideful Camulos, corrupted by the tainted gifts of Kelbor-Hal, gave in to madness or was overwhelmed by the bloodlust of the Titan itself. Another interpretation, and one enthusiastically promulgated by the loyalist Mechanicum, was literal divine intervention; the Omnissiah venting wrath upon those who turned its avatars to blasphemous ends. Alexandros never commented, and if he was responsible, such an act speaks to power beyond anything he ever overtly displayed.

Whatever the reason, Aquila Ignix laid waste its fellow Titans before dying in a spectacular reactor-breach. Those not destroyed by its guns had, in the final moments, succumbed to a rage which overrode any tactical sense or self-preservation, cited by many who believe the theories of madness or divine judgement. Attacking at close range they killed the Imperator, but saw themselves consumed in the explosion. As a consequence the entire Martian maniple was destroyed and the Secutarii of Mortis all but eradicated, to say nothing of the tanks and other war machines caught up in the devastation.

The scales, so far tilted overwhelmingly in favour of the Traitors, were suddenly shaken, and now the Halcyon Wardens came to further even the odds. Led by the former Legion Master Irvin Ruel, they landed at those Forge cities which remained loyal.

(Portrait of Ruel?)

It is true that, even in the days of Ruel’s tenure, the Vth Legion’s reputation had been that of a blunt instrument, bellicose in manner and conduct. Yet the Irvine Ruel of ___ M31 was a very different commander, tempered by over two centuries of war and the example of his Primarch. Arriving on Mars, his flinty character brooked no impetuous rush to slay the rebels, and instead he began to carefully allocate forces, judging what he could afford to commit and where reinforcements would be in vain.

The Compact of Copper and Iron

As Icarion drew his plans against the Emperor, he sought to secure the loyalty of the Mechanicum and ensure Kelbor-Hal’s success in purging Mars. At the time, he was certain that Alexandros would stand with him. Thus the Warmaster could, among other things, gift their allies the protocols to open the Vaults of Moravec.

But such power brought its own risks, the technology of Moravec being tainted by the Warp. Icarion understood those more clearly than any other Primarch at this time, and considered alternatives. This was learned only from archives recovered from Akiran forge colonies during the Scouring and fragmentary Traitor records, but we now know that Icarion turned to his own homeworld for a bargaining chip. Madrigal’s rad-soaked surface and crust had plied over the centuries for the lost knowledge concealed there, but even when the Lightning Bearers had taken stewardship over the world, these were infrequent. Besides the radiation, the catacombs were rife with hazard. The old fastnesses of the Thunder King rivalled the worst of Mars for sheer peril, infested by mutants or guarded by lethal machines.

Icarion and his advisors then considered how a campaign to delve comprehensively into the bowels of their planet might be conducted, and here a darker facet of Madrigal’s culture emerges. In the days of turmoil, it had been expected that any warrior be ready to die for his master, at a moment’s notice and for any cause his lord deemed worthwhile. Icarion knew that such loyalty would not come easily from some of the Legions he worked to sway, and from some he required a sign, or rather a deed that would bind them to his cause. Thus it was that he issued a command to Sorrowsworn Morro.

Much about the Drowned was mysterious to their cousins, and Icarion saw several opportunities in using them for this endeavour. To brave the depths of Madrigal was the sort of challenge that would appeal to the XVIth Legion’s pride, as they excelled fighting in the most deadly environments. Sending Lightning Bearers with them, even if it failed to kindle bonds of trust, would secure further intelligence on how Morro’s sons operated, which might prove useful in deploying them as the future Insurrection grew. Some spoil would serve as a bribe. Finally, it was a chance to remove potential Loyalists among both Legions, and the loyalty of the Drowned would be cemented with the blood of kinsmen.

In utmost secrecy, the Drowned were shipped to Madrigal, where a force of Lightning Bearers mustered for their grand expedition; Icarion deemed it a folly to conceal it entirely, but hid the full scope along with the Drowned’s participation. This was achieved with a large Mechanicum presence, as Icarion appealed to Kelbor-Hal for a full Taghmata in return for the riches they would surely find. Drowned Men were consequently billeted aboard Mechanicum Arks from ___ and delivered discreetly to the surface of Madrigal.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna put together an info sheet for myself (and Talonair) soon. For now, I'm adding Legate Pheidius to the Halcyon Wardens, and Vel Kheredur, assigned to keep an eye on the Sarum priests serving Alexandros will also play a role. Not necessarily the role Kelbor-Hal wants or expects.

Key Abyssii actors include Charon Discut (siege master), Ariana Furia (fleet mistress) and whoever the overall commander of the Taghmata is.

I mean in the day-to-day existence of Abyssii, Mortera would have had someone to head up her Taghmata for non-catastrophic attacks. Initially I'd have that figure lead the forces on Mars while she remains in orbit, dealing with the bigger picture (ensuring Nox's defences are OK for one thing)

Ahh fair enough. Initially, I suppose it'd be either Discut or Rex. The thing is with the data networks of the Mechanicum, commanders can keep a much more direct eye on things than other human commanders so delegation is less of a concern, however in the span of time after the Death of Innocence that kind of delegation would be necessary due to the scrapcode attack playing havoc with communications

Well, I've mentioned this to Sim but I don't know if scrapcode should really come in here. Firstly, practicalities - Horus gives Kelbor-Hal access to the Vaults of Moravec, which he can as Warmaster. Icarion hasn't got that authority.

I also dislike the Instant Chaos Computer Virus aspect anyway, but the main issue is that by rights, they shouldn't be able to get their hands on it. So I'm thinking Icarion would furnish them with prodigiously nasty data-djinn recovered on Madrigal.

Btw Tal, can I suggest we diversify the titles of Abyssiii's top echelon? Will try and come up with suggestions today

The Death of Innocence is a pretty integral part of the Schism is the problem. Replacing the method by which they gain access to the scrapcode virus is a good idea, but I don't think scrapping it entirely is the right thing to do

And sure, titles could be a good idea. Let me know what you come up with

Perhaps Icarion, whilst not having the authority to authorise access to the Vaults of Moravec, can provide Kelbor-Hal something to help the Dark Mech break into the Vaults?

We also need to consider Icarion's intentions. Having the Vault as a carrot to hangle suits him, but he's wary of Chaos, and he surely doesn't want that suffusing the people he relies on for all his war machines, weapons etc. AI, forbidden weaponry, all fine, but he won't want them accessing Moravec's hoard. For that matter, it's questionable if any of Icarion's people would know where to find the Vault.

So I'm suggesting they retrieve data-djinn from Madrigal which can fulfil a similar function, without the Instant Dark Mechanicum factor.

Now, I'm trying to work out where Mondi Occulum and Gamma would be on the map of Mars (the 40K one offers no clue). Those will be the obvious starting points, along with Ipluvien Maximal and Magma City. Arkan Land and other notables need evacuating from various hives or forges to whichever of those locales is nearest, and then it becomes a matter of securing those locations and disrupting Traitor manufacturing.

• 5 months later...

For my understanding I put together a timeline of the schism (although without actual dates) based on the contents of this thread. If anyone can correct me where it is wrong I would be grateful.

Maximal's generator destroyed by the Kaban machine.

Data-djinn attack devastates martian forge cities

Mechanicum Abysii secure their portion of the ring.

Legion Mortis marches to assault Magma City but is devastated through Alexandros' intervention.

Halycon wardens and solar auxiliary land to reinforce loyalists.(covered)

Mechanicum Abysii, Iron Bears, Fire Keepers and others reinforce loyalists(covered)

Battle of the Mariner Plain

Joint Astartes/Mechanicum strike force destroys shield generators of Olympus Mons Gate.

Olympus Mons is breached and retaken.

Kelbor Hal flees(covered)

In which case, does this work for the campaign structure?

Preface

Introduction

Chapter 1 :

Preparations.

Mars' proximity to Terra

Possibility of destroying the Abysii fleet

Chapter 2:

Traitor disposition

Loyalist disposition

Traitor beliefs that the Halycon wardens would aid them.

Traitor beliefs that the Abysii would be crippled by the Data-djinn.

Attack on Maximal's powerplant?

Chapter 3:

Data-djinn attack

Resistance of Magma city and others

Mechanicum Abysii recovery( Link to Minerva research stations?) and seizure of the ring.

Chapter 4:

The Emperor's shield and sword?

Chapter 5:

Battle of the Mariner plain

Abysiiia's insistence on leading the attack?

Heavy Halycon Warden casualties?

Exploitation of Olympus Mons external and internal transport system?

Chapter 6:

The Red Dust settles?

Also, in canon Magma city and others survive the scrapcode attack because of the newly implemented nooesphere( unless I'm misremembering). Since the Insurrection takes place later than the Horus Heresy does this mean that more forge cities survive due to its proliferation or does the Data-djinn have a different effect? Apologies if this has been discussed beforehand.

Oh crap. No, you are not misremembering, though everyone is surprised that Magma City is completely untouched while other cities with the new noosephere still suffer some damage. Thirty years of development, the noosephere system would definitely be more widespread at this point. Sheesh, the Death of Innocence is now up in question.

In regards to your outline, the key question we need to answer is if this mini-book will simply given an overview of the entire campaign or focus on one battle to detail. What do people prefer? 

Was the damage caused to Maximal's domain done to residual systems outside the noosphere or through penentration of the noosphere itself? The second implies that the noosphere as a system has some form of intrinsic property making it resistant to virus attacks.

A long of this hinges on the differences between scrapcode and the data djinn.

Maybe when Zeth opened up the Noosphere for wider use she left backdoors in the official version in case she ever needed to bring it down. When the cyber attack occurs it successfully exploits these, but they are not present in the earliest iterations.

Will add the railway idea to the above

I like the idea of backdoors left in the public-use version, plays into the latent ambition of Martian tech-priests quite nicely. I also like the idea of linking the Abyssii resisting the djinn attack better to the Ater stations around Minerva (their questionable research into djinn-viruses giving them an edge) however I'd like to make Mhal a big factor in it as well (the whole Machine Touched thing)

Archived