Moritats

m0nolith

Serpentas are probably the best - purely because you can get up to 24 kills (obviously only with super luck or against Militia levvies etc)

But as a BA player I'm a fan of inferno pistols - sure the kill range is only 6", but with a good deep strike from an up-field nuncio vox this isn't a huge issue.

The one time you get that Moritat into a super heavy that doesn't have ceramite access will be worth it. DEATH OR GLORY!

So with the new rules for Chainfire, do you Chainfire both pistols or just one?

And in the case it's just one pistol you Chainfire, you could fire a single Plasma Pistol shot with your 'off-hand' without suffering the extra Get's Hot penalty, correct?

If that's so then I agree with Black_out haha.

It's twelve hits total from both pistols combined and it seems you fire both pistols with Chainfire.

Because of this, you can go with a plasma/ serpenta loadout, but if you either miss straight away or don't miss at all for the first 12 hits, you won't be firing your plasma - which even then get's hot on a 1 or 2 and ends the fire.

Personally, double Serpenta or inferno are my favorite, though that is restricted to the specific legion obviously. 

Also, reading the rules there is nothing stopping you from taking a power weapon either as a backup. This is because you get an additional bolt pistol as part of the moritat upgrade, then have three weapons (2 pistols and a CCW) to swap out for the two serpentas and power weapon.

I feel that the jumppack is mandatory for all moritats (pistol range being what it is), and that he is a one shot wonder. Being a glass cannon requires hitting power which is absent from the regular weapons (plasma provided it before the nerf).

So melta pistols or the special character are the only *good* options.

I say that because they are all cool options but most will struggle to play any decisive roll.

I'd actually almost be tempted (....with blood angels) to do the following:

You deep strike with a destroyer squad turn 1, and unleash hell into something infantry based - but do NOT chain fire.

Next turn, assuming you survive the retaliation, you then keep the destroyers going for infantry while the Moritat now uses his 12" move to get into melta range of a tank or the like.

Even if you are charged in the interim, that isn't too bad... You get some decent overwatch and then counter attack aided by rad grenades and Encarmine Fury, meaning unless it is something truly insane you will probably at least draw or something.

You deepstrike, kill  few marines, then you are all nicely grouped, and some blast falls and kills you all? And this investion is almost 500 points. and just imagine if there is some intercept with blast around, you won't even fire a shot before you die.

• 3 weeks later...

I run mine with dual serpentas, but also kitted out for close combat with AA, refractor and a Chainglaive. The combination of S5 and -1T from radgrenades makes him very usful vs. marines (3+/2+ for kills) but he does need a squad of Destroyers (chainglaive on sgt) and a Landraider to make it work.

If I run him solo I throw a Phase-Shifter on him for maximum mobility, he's expensive, but really fun (and challangeing) to play.

This with the caevat though that I have only done so in City Fight battles where a jumppack is more of a hinderence than help, I have no idea how this would work on an "open field".

I ran a jump Moritat (dual serpentinas) with a five man Destroyer squad (rad missile, power fist, phosphex bombs) in a 3500 point game versus AL recently and they did great. Rad grenaded a squad of Gal Vorbak (coils) then my terminators doubled them out.

I ran a jump Moritat (dual serpentinas) with a five man Destroyer squad (rad missile, power fist, phosphex bombs) in a 3500 point game versus AL recently and they did great. Rad grenaded a squad of Gal Vorbak (coils) then my terminators doubled them out.

In the end did they make back their points?

And he had nothing in his army to target your late arriving expensive 6 model unit ? 
I find this hard to believe

Not to mention somewhat poor of an example of how "effective" or  " useful" destroyers are  when your highly overpriced unit and wet noodle HQ   showed up late and acted like a double rad greade to allow an actual hammer  unit to kill an enemy. 

The terminators likely do that job themselves  with an attached Forgelord with Red Grenades or something. 

Your anecdotal experience of using a unit that is objectively bad does  not  erase the fact that they are clearly overpriced and highly ineffective 
A moritat is a gimmick choice , its not a sound tactical decision. 
Attaching him to destroyers who are also a bad choice doesnt make either unit any less bad. 

Blood Angels can get away with their inferno pistol nonsense and two serpentas is cute , but its not a game changer , its not a good unit 

The Plasma Nerf  drove the Moritat into the ground , dont advise people to play bad things.  

What was just said may be a bot harsh, but it does look like right now only one moritat build works: the named one from the RG... so playing moritats or their super cool but horrendously overcosted destroyers end up as a points sink that could be easily out preformed by dozens of other units in the game.

Archived