Ahriman in the Fracture of Biel-Tan? SPOILER

jbizzl3y

Okay so I don't actually have the book at the moment but I have a pretty good idea of what happens between Ahriman and the elder in the webway.. what I can't work out is if he dies as he chases after the Newley returned Rubrics????

Someone tell me he's okay! He's by far my favourite character!

He does seem to get the rough end of the stick most of the time!

They get made meat and bone again, right?

Correct!

what? Ahriman is in the book? He finds Rubrics? Looks like I have to get this.

I know what you mean! So far the gathering storm seems to be a great read lore wise! I think I'll wait for the trilogy and maybe pick them up!!

He and his Rubrics are in the Webway looking for the Black Library when they happen upon the Ynnari. They fight, The Eldar are hard

pressed, Farseer Kysanduras is killed by Ahriman, and he defeats the Ynnead Triumvirate pretty easily. But, they turn it around on him by undoing the rubric, causing all of his rubricae to become mortal men again. After this, he stops trying to kill them and goes to chase after his resurrected brothers.

Presumably not all thousand sons are fixed. Just the ones in the immediate vicinity?

Must be fun for the now ex dust guys. Waking up to full coherency and still having the time to still ask "why are we fighting Eldar"

They did turned to flesh again. For a moment - and then were cast adrift into the warp breach. Where all the daemons feast on their newfound flesh.

It was cruel even by eldar standards but TS were trying to kill them, so go figure. Another funny cosmic joke.

Only TS with Ahriman were fixed.

Correct!

I know what you mean! So far the gathering storm seems to be a great read lore wise! I think I'll wait for the trilogy and maybe pick them up!!

Really? Great read lore wise? I do not know who are responsible for their latest entries starting with Warzone Fenris - but they are teenagers crap thanks.gif

Presumably not all thousand sons are fixed. Just the ones in the immediate vicinity?

Must be fun for the now ex dust guys. Waking up to full coherency and still having the time to still ask "why are we fighting Eldar"

They did turned to flesh again. For a moment - and then were cast adrift into the warp breach. Where all the daemons feast on their newfound flesh.

It was cruel even by eldar standards but TS were trying to kill them, so go figure. Another funny cosmic joke.

Correct!

Really? Great read lore wise? I do not know who are responsible for their latest entries starting with Warzone Fenris - but they are teenagers crap :thanks:
Ouch! I started my thousand sons with wrath of Magnus, I really enjoyed it.. each to their own I suppose!

Correct!

Really? Great read lore wise? I do not know who are responsible for their latest entries starting with Warzone Fenris - but they are teenagers crap thanks.gif
Ouch! I started my thousand sons with wrath of Magnus, I really enjoyed it.. each to their own I suppose!

Just remember old campaigns - that was how fluff should have been written, lol. Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Tactica Imperialis, Armour Imperialis Vrax and Badab war - that's how you do write good fluff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this passage today - I'm intrigued and a touch dismayed. Mainly because it was a side quest rather than anything terribly significant, and endemic of the idea that Ynnead's followers can "do stuff just because". Yvraine is selected for no particular reason, Visarch is some random who might or might not have been her trainer, the Daemon is just a... thing, popped out of nowhere.

In many respects, it looks like this Ynnead isn't the Ynnead that Iyanna was expecting, and every single event in the book is basically wholehearted undermining of the complex agency of any seers in 40k at all, generally. To paraphrase Futurama: "As Kysaduras the Ancorite taught us, Ynnead means that anything can happen at any time for no reason whatsoever."

That is: if Ynnead can just pop into existence, what's the bloody point?

---

Well, I can somewhat imagine those being Ahriman's views on the matter. ;)

What's the point in hard sorcerous work if a God can just undo life and death on a whim?

---

Fortunately, back-peddling on the daft content of main 40k books is a great hobby of some of BL's best work, so I'm not to worried and generally love a lot of the ideas around Ynnead - and Ahriman - even if not a huge fan of some of the particulars given in this instance.

To that end: Ahriman is vindicated. His intentions *are* possible and are achievable...

He just needs to get that damn library card!

Turns out his spear is one of the Crone Swords or somesuch, he dies at some point, Yvraine/Ynnead brings him back to life because of course they can.

That was my reaction to most of the Ynnead magic (I like the idea, not the execution) - but the mechanism for Yriel's resurrection I thought was one of the more clever bits of the book: the cursed sword hadn't 'merely' been leeching his soul away all that time, it was able to return it too.

It's not the most elegant thing, but as a twist I like it a lot more than improbable "and then, surprise, THIS happened". Where's the fun in being a Farseer or all powerful Sorcerer of Tzeentch if you can't have an inkling about events like the birth of an all-new God? At least allow them the horrid irony of having a hand in their own doom, rather than just killing them off or ruining their plans casually.

(It's a perennial problem with making foresight/prophecy work in fiction, but as it's always difficult, it'd be nice if people stopped going for the 'easy' [crap] answers that don't actually make sense on inspection.)

Of course, surprising Farseers shouldn't be impossible, but at least have it fit the damn story! :D

---

Less moany, the twist with the Spear was, I thin, a good one. Not perfect - but it's not the main problem with Yriel here. (*that* as DC says, is the issue with Veilwalker's promise of a future of glory, not of randomly getting offed by some passing tentacles instead of being a pawn of the Harlequins' schemes.)

Do we know whether all of the resurrected Rubricae are destroyed/killed?

If anyone can save at least a few of them, it would be Ahriman

The opposite would probably be true, character-wise - it's the one thing he would never be allowed to do by the god that toys with his entire life. His life goal is to undo it, which is something Tzeentch will never let him do. That's why it's so tragic for him that after an eternity seeking the eldar's knowledge, they display - right in front of him - that they possess the lore he needs. The lore he's never been able to get, and never will. 

The opposite would probably be true, character-wise - it's the one thing he would never be allowed to do by the god that toys with his entire life. His life goal is to undo it, which is something Tzeentch will never let him do. That's why it's so tragic for him that after an eternity seeking the eldar's knowledge, they display - right in front of him - that they possess the lore he needs. The lore he's never been able to get, and never will. 

He'll just have to come up with something so Out There even Tzeentch won't see it coming. :P

The Visarch knocked on the door before entering with hunched shoulders. Yvraine raised an eyebrow. It wasn't like her champion to be this timid.

"My lady," he said, "you have received a...gift." Intrigued, Yvraine stepped outside, and stopped dead. A fruit basket the size of a Void Spinner sat in the middle of the plaza, next to a bouquet of flowers from all over the galaxy. The Visarch held out a card for her to take.

"Ahzek Ahriman offers his apologies and requests a date," the Visarch said.

Elsewhere...

"Brother, this is demeaning!"

"I don't care!" Ahriman said, frantically scribbling plans for an armour-tuxedo on a sheet of paper marked Rubric Reversal: Plan B.

Tzeentch could also toy with him by showing him that it is "possible" by giving him the one or two (something that already happened IIRC in the John French Ahriman series) only to laugh as his further efforts come to nothing. That also seems very Tzeentchy.

Archived