Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

That would alliow for some changes / development even wirhout additional warp shenanigans,

Is the 13th Crusade still a thing, as in active operations?

As it was before it was massively retconned and Fall of Cadia is what we have as a 13th Black Crusade version 2.0
Wasn't this advertised "Gathering Storm". Maybe as a nonnative speaker I am getting not getting the full picture here but Gathering Storm invokes images like Prelude to War, or Five Minutes to Midnight,or Heavy Petting. You know, like the main event is just waiting around the corner. So it's the Galaxy being ripped up by the Warp but after Cadia, the 13th Crusade just decides that Death to the False Emperor is all fine and well and dandy but it's more of a day time job and really has to be home for their favorite program and then just 200 years go by?

WFB at least blew the frigging world up and went through an age of darkness before the Sigmaringen Foundings....is the in between edition fluff so disappointing :(

So I just picked these guys at random. for my primaris marines.

My vision was atlantean aesthetics using of pale albino skin, with white/blonde hair.

While obviously in your creation stage, A D-B could you hint on what you are planning skin tone wise?

Also, I really like the feel of a world akin to Rob Sanders's Undine in Predator and Prey. I think that's partially what drew me to this chapter. That and the untapped potential for my own fan-fiction.

My vision was atlantean aesthetics using of pale albino skin, with white/blonde hair.

While obviously in your creation stage, A D-B could you hint on what you are planning skin tone wise?

Also, I really like the feel of a world akin to Rob Sanders's Undine in Predator and Prey. I think that's partially what drew me to this chapter. That and the untapped potential for my own fan-fiction.

All subject to change, natch, but so far it works like this:

As regards skin tone, Nemeton is a lot like Earth. Roughly: paler towards the poles, darker towards the equator, with variations from diaspora. Skin colour tends not to take that long to evolve via environmental factors (relatively speaking) and Earth has more darker folks than lighter folks overall, but 50-50 in the Spears is a safe bet. Probably like many (most?) Chapters lore-wise, at least those without gene-seed alterations or extreme geographical influences.

(Apologies for the boring "They look like everyone else" answer.)

I don't know what Undine is like so I can't compare it with Nemeton, sorry, dude.

What kind of material are you reading to get in the "Emperor's Spears" headspace? I loved the Wiinter King series which I read on the basis that you said you drew from it in Talon of Horus.

Sure thing, dude. Here's the current list from my bookmarks tab:

• 'Zakliate', by Arkona: 
  • 'Sverker', by Corvus Corax: 
  • 'King', by Eluviete: 
  • 'Eweroun', by Falkenbach: 
Edited by A D-B

As regards skin tone, Nemeton is a lot like Earth. Roughly: paler towards the poles, darker towards the equator, with variations from diaspora. Skin colour tends not to take that long to evolve via environmental factors (relatively speaking) and Earth has more darker folks than lighter folks overall, but 50-50 in the Spears is a safe bet. Probably like many (most?) Chapters lore-wise, at least those without gene-seed alterations or extreme geographical influences.

I don't know what Undine is like so I can't compare it with Nemeton, sorry, dude.

Absolutely no problem. I understand.

Embarrassingly enough, I was thinking in terms of Aquaman or underwater hive cities connected to the grand underwater mountains etc. Where the majority of the population are far from the light of the sun(s) as light diminishes farther into sea depth.

I picture Undine being mostly covered by ocean. with sporadically placed land masses, maybe like the Caribbean and then a continent such as Australia The hives being like Jeanne DuPrau's concept of the City of Ember. which could help explain the pale complexion.

Alternatively, and just as embarrassing, my second thought was to paint them up like the lost tribe from Walt Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Darker pigments but with white hair.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Absolutely no problem. I understand.

Embarrassingly enough, I was thinking in terms of Aquaman or underwater hive cities connected to the grand underwater mountains etc. Where the majority of the population are far from the light of the sun(s) as light diminishes farther into sea depth.

I picture Undine being mostly covered by ocean. with sporadically placed land masses, maybe like the Caribbean and then a continent such as Australia The hives being like Jeanne DuPrau's concept of the City of Ember. which could help explain the pale complexion.

Alternatively, and just as embarrassing, my second thought was to paint them up like the lost tribe from Walt Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Darker pigments but with white hair.

I getcha. They are, and aren't, embarrassing. I mean, played straight they're not bad ideas or anything - and the brazen Atlantean themes tempted me hard, as I've always the myth of Atlantis - but I was trying to be a little less on the nose. Blood Angel gunships firing Blood Missiles and Space Wolves riding wolves in space are obviously the far end of that spectrum and they aren't automatically bad ideas - everything comes down to execution and interpretation. Like, let's be honest, living in underwater cities and fighting with power tridents is legitimately awesome, totally sci-fi/fantasy and completely apt, and you can make an awesome Chapter culture out of themes like that, but I'm trying to distance myself from the obvious associations and leave in suggestions.

Although dark skin and white hair, like in Disney's Atlantis, would look legitimately rad. The character design in that movie was brilliant. Also, the Spears' armour colours goes so freaking well with darker pigmented skin, so if you did that, it'd look double cool. One of the Nemetorian clans could easily appear like that, too. Hmm. I may write that in.

(On a boring but related note, one of the reasons I made the Celestial Lions' culture have allusions to Sub-Saharan Africa was how good black skin would look in gold power armour. The other more obvious reason was to highlight the spread of cultures within a single First Founding gene-seed. We see a lot of Successors with similar vibes to their parent Chapters, one way or the other. That's always bugged me a bit, like how so many Dark Angels and Blood Angels Successors are Dark Angels Lite and Blood Angels But A Different Red, and so on. That's cool, but it's not all there is.)

Did you pick Vienna, Constantinople, and Tenochticlan because they are the three 'Worlds Colliding' of recent human memory?

I want to say Yes, but the reality is that was a happy coincidence that got more focus over time. I've looked at a lot of sieges for this novel, but the ones that have stuck out are the ones where cultures, even civilisations, were on the line, often with a 'savage' culture on one side, and a 'civilised' one on the other. Which also meant reading what I could of the Mongol Conquest of Xi Xia, and the Attic War of the Amazons against Athens.

You never know how much will end up in the final mix, because you're aiming for immersion and saturation and seeing what grips you, narrowing your aim on what to research as time passes. And the above list is at a pretty focused point, now.

(Let's just hope the book's not garbage after all this reading, right?)

Edited by A D-B

That would alliow for some changes / development even wirhout additional warp shenanigans,

Is the 13th Crusade still a thing, as in active operations?

As it was before it was massively retconned and Fall of Cadia is what we have as a 13th Black Crusade version 2.0
Wasn't this advertised "Gathering Storm". Maybe as a nonnative speaker I am getting not getting the full picture here but Gathering Storm invokes images like Prelude to War, or Five Minutes to Midnight,or Heavy Petting. You know, like the main event is just waiting around the corner. So it's the Galaxy being ripped up by the Warp but after Cadia, the 13th Crusade just decides that Death to the False Emperor is all fine and well and dandy but it's more of a day time job and really has to be home for their favorite program and then just 200 years go by?

WFB at least blew the frigging world up and went through an age of darkness before the Sigmaringen Foundings....is the in between edition fluff so disappointing :sad.:

It seems they intentionally created a 200 years gap - to fill it later with fluff and lore. By GW team, Black Library  and fans over competitive campaigns. I personally don't like that 'flow'.

It's like 'The Beheading' all over again with the timejump that ruined amazing novel. But deleting the most interesting stuff and leaving it overboard.

Really cool, and given me a lot to think about. I can't wait for this weekend hopefully I do them justice!

If you do it - post pics, please and thankya kindly!

Will do.

Just from a painting aspect, I've seen other painters interpret them as being codex compliant. Can you hint at this being true, or will there be deviation? (if not I can always wing it :) )

i.e. red helmets for sergeants, white knee pad for veterans etc.

Looking at your sources, is it too much to ask for a cameo by a grumpy administratum adept called... Melvinius who gets all flustered when the Emperor's Spears don't match up with what he's got on his dataslate?

Or Ecclessiarchy priest trying to show the light on the Ecclessiarchy, lol.

Any chance we could get some idea of the names and naming-inspiration of the Emperor's Spears? Maybe just some examples, inspirations from the real world or something else? I want to get started making up names for the members of my new army!

In any case, I think the aspect of primaris marines is exciting, and I love the idea of painting and converting an army of them - the Spears cool colour scheme and the fact that ADB are fleshing them out and writing a novel about them made the choice of which SM chapter easy.

I hope he writes the Spears pretty "clean" without gimmicks like special weapons and other visual stunts. I would like them to be clean and codex-like outwardly with all their special tendencies (if they have them) being in their minds and in their philosophy.

I too am hoping for pale skin (but not extreme albino) with blonde/white hair, but with possibilities for variation. A group of people on their homeworld with dark skin and white hair f.x. sounds cool!

Here's a picture of brother Balslev and the Stormhawk Rathamanti anxiously awaiting their primaris friends lying in a GW storehouse somewhere in Europe. WIP army Log here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334362-emperors-spears-wip-army-log/?p=4773499

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Imperialfists/Emperors%20Spears/image.jpg

Edited by Rathamanti

Any chance we could get some idea of the names and naming-inspiration of the Emperor's Spears? Maybe just some examples, inspirations from the real world or something else? I want to get started making up names for the members of my new army!

In any case, I think the aspect of primaris marines is exciting, and I love the idea of painting and converting an army of them - the Spears cool colour scheme and the fact that ADB are fleshing them out and writing a novel about them made the choice of which SM chapter easy.

I hope he writes the Spears pretty "clean" without gimmicks like special weapons and other visual stunts. I would like them to be clean and codex-like outwardly with all their special tendencies (if they have them) being in their minds and in their philosophy.

I too am hoping for pale skin (but not extreme albino) with blonde/white hair, but with possibilities for variation. A group of people on their homeworld with dark skin and white hair f.x. sounds cool!

Here's a picture of brother Balslev and the Stormhawk Rathamanti anxiously awaiting their primaris friends lying in a GW storehouse somewhere in Europe. WIP army Log here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334362-emperors-spears-wip-army-log/?p=4773499

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/Imperialfists/Emperors%20Spears/image.jpg

Looks good ;)

Rathamanti & Don't-Be-Haten:

It's... complicated. Well, actually, I guess it's not. They're very Codex-compliant (no frost rays or Ravenwing etc., unless I change my mind fairly soon), but there's a spread of variance in the Codex Astartes for how squads and officers and so on are marked. The Blood Angels are ultimately Codex-compliant in most ways, but their squads and Companies are marked differently on their armour to the way the Ultramarines do it.

For example, never underestimate my intense and avowed passion for helmet crests. This love is unbreakable, and looks great on book covers - even if it's annoying for people to model. I'm getting some cartoons done in the style of my avatar to illustrate the way rank is displayed, because I think that'll be pretty fun. 

I don't want to say too much in case it changes, or to promise a focus that may not be there in the final novel, but for names - you're good if you go with something Irish Gaellc, Scottish Gaelic, or Imperial/Republican Roman, or Romanised British. tl;dr -- Celtic or Ancient Roman.

What kind of material are you reading to get in the "Emperor's Spears" headspace? I loved the Wiinter King series which I read on the basis that you said you drew from it in Talon of Horus.

Sure thing, dude. Here's the current list from my bookmarks tab:

• 'Zakliate', by Arkona: 
  • 'Sverker', by Corvus Corax: 
  • 'King', by Eluviete: 
  • 'Eweroun', by Falkenbach: 

I'd also really recommend the British Museum's Celts: Art and Identity book. It is an excellent series of essays, assembling some of the latest and best in Celtic scholarship, plus full of pretty objects.

Rathamanti & Don't-Be-Haten:

I don't want to say too much in case it changes, or to promise a focus that may not be there in the final novel, but for names - you're good if you go with something Irish Gaellc, Scottish Gaelic, or Imperial/Republican Roman, or Romanised British. tl;dr -- Celtic or Ancient Roman.

Thanks for the answer! It all sounds good - even the crested helmets... Different formations unique to the Spears (like Ravenwing and Deathwing) sounds cool. What I was afraid of was power tridents and so on.

Has there been any kind of information on cirka when the book will be released? At least which year?!

Edited by Rathamanti