Guilliman the Primarch Novel

Prot

Dislike the author and I’m being kind at that. Really disliked the book.

Here’s why, it was boring.

Annandale believes he is writing shallow boom dakka dakka crazy robot Japanese manga. BL is better than that, it’s reader expect better. Annandale might be able to do better but this is what he enjoys writing it’s what he wants to do. I would suggest he goes and does it somewhere else.

Forgive me if this seems argumentative, but that's a little harsh to me. Annandale might not be the best at accessing the core themes and concepts of the setting, however, his writing's not unbearable. I actually feel like he comes up with a lot of cool concepts, he just never explores them with as deft a touch as I'd like. Take his next book, Castellan, as an example. I have no idea if it will be a satisfying read on release, but the premise (pre-GS Castellan Crowe and co. emerge from the warp to find a galaxy changed) is quite promising I think. It's a simple and effective, if not a little heavy-handed, way to explore how the setting has changed from the eyes of someone to whom it is all foreign. I would like him to focus less on the horror myself, but I've never been a huge fan of the genre. Edited by cheywood

Yes I probably was a little harsh but it’s just he way I find him. I have never enjoyed one of his books and I’ve bought quite a few (you would think I would learn!)

A cool concept is one thing but executing it is another. I won’t be buying the Crowe book the first one was awful with walking cities for crying out loud. It was terrible. I’m suprised a sequel was authorised. I love grey knights and generally BL have done them well. Back to being harsh again so I will stop now

Yes I probably was a little harsh but it’s just he way I find him. I have never enjoyed one of his books and I’ve bought quite a few (you would think I would learn!)

A cool concept is one thing but executing it is another. I won’t be buying the Crowe book the first one was awful with walking cities for crying out loud. It was terrible. I’m suprised a sequel was authorised. I love grey knights and generally BL have done them well. Back to being harsh again so I will stop now

I remember getting the audiobook of this on a whim and I enjoyed the heck out of it, so much so I picked up the hardback the very next day. DC had the meat of it in his post yesterday. The story itself had the potential to really be part of the main Horus Heresy series if they'd of given it the full novel treatment. Explore more of the aftermath of Monarchia. Let us see more of the disgruntled Destroyers and how far they would go to keep their preferred way of war. I like the cut down version of what we got though :happy.:

Annandale is significantly better than Thorpe and Swallow.

I used to rate Kyme very lowly but I think he's improved somewhat over the past 5 years or so. I still think Annandale beats him though.

To me, Annandale is usually bearable and sometimes enjoyable. I have the same attitude toward Smilie.

Annandale is significantly better than Thorpe and Swallow.

I used to rate Kyme very lowly but I think he's improved somewhat over the past 5 years or so. I still think Annandale beats him though.

To me, Annandale is usually bearable and sometimes enjoyable. I have the same attitude toward Smilie.

I suppose that goes to show how varied the tastes of the readership is! I love most of Thorpes work, particularly his Eldar works (Jain Zar is amazing) and Lorgar is probably my favourite book of 2017. Cant say I overly rate swallow but for me Annandale is the pits.

But it’s s good thing we are all different or there would be very few writers!

I think Annandale is a really good writer I loved the first 2/3 of Damnation of Pythos, it was gearing up like a really good horror story in the heresy but it lost its focus in the final third for me, and I felt deflated by it, maybe I'm doing it abit of an injustice, but I re-read a lot of books, and I haven't gone back for that one, I enjoyed the Lord of Ultramarine for what it was, just abit of background, and a close up view of Bobby G, I haven't read Lorgar yet but I rate the books, Russ, Pert then Magnus/RG. Funnily I like Russ the best for the depiction of the Lion, and the fact we see a side of Leman which isn't just bluster.