Could Sanguinius come back?

Sun Reaver

I totally think he will be back and I like the idea from alot of angles. They could write it poorly sure. There is that risk with all the things they put out.

They have invested too much into the story and plot to not have him rise in some form I feel even if as a warp entity of some kind.

If he really is perma-dead fine. A noble sacrifice certainly.

Seems to me the story arch is bigger than that tho.

His memories and perhaps one could argue tortured soul split throughout his sons with his very blood and driving them to madness.

It could be argued he never died and lives on inside them all as little tortured pieces of his darkest hours.

These visions of Black Rage increasing in occurance over the centuries could be argued to be him coming back to consciousness perhaps.

Perhaps these pieces are driven to seeking death to rejoin the whole, who knows.

To tell that part of the 40k story more fully almost begs bringing him back in some form. I think.

I was kinda hoping he was going to be shocked back to consciousness by all the losses of his sons on Baal. We know from existing fluff that he is deeply affected by mass casualties of his children.  So I was hoping he would wake up pissed off and thirsty and eat the nids myself. But it is too soon for HH events yet to unfold in my opinion.

I think somebody should do up some fiction for RG kneeling at his tomb after this crusade arrives at Baal, asking forgiveness for not being at Terra all those years ago and late to save the BA from such horrors as the hive fleet inflicted. Wishing Sanguinius was there to assist him in these dark times. Lamenting his great sacrifice etc at a minimum. RG is so alone. Perhaps he had a role in laying him to rest on Baal back in the day and swore to watch over the BA but then tore them apart etc etc. Could be good stuff. I bet it gets written.

and maybe another of those... Did I just imagine a single heartbeat from the tomb?

Anyhow, they still have to finish writing up to the death so I don't think he will be in the next codex. But I see him coming back some day, in some form. I think his spirit never actually died myself.

I hope he stays dead.

Like with the Iron Hands, Sanguinius's death shapes the Blood Angels and their successors in more ways then just the Black Rage. Their whole visage of accepting their damnation as a matter of time and doing it gracefully as Angels like Sanguinius did makes the Blood Angels who they are.

If Sanguinius were to come back, your Blood Angels might as well just be red Ultramarines.

Besides, we've seen just how poorly Guiliman views the 41st Millenium: one of his quotes from the gathering storm was literally "better we had burned in the fires of Horus' ambition then to live in this," and he was one of the more level headed loyalist primarchs amongst his brothers. Even if several primarchs including Horus admitted that Sanguinius was the best of them all, Sanguinius would cause more controversy and damage then Guiliman's sole return would.

As much as Guiliman was the right choice of the surviving loyalist Primarchs to catapult the death clock out the window and commence the Dark Imperium, he's also a fish out of the water: this is not the Imperium the Emperor wanted or the Imperium that the Primarchs left behind. As cool as it is to have a Primarch back in action, I'm also disappointed that it had to come to that: despite all he did for the Imperium in two Tyrannic wars and beyond, we saw how easily Guiliman eclipsed Marneus Calgar upon his return doing in hours what Calgar took months to half accomplish. How would it make Dante look with his thousands of years of experience being trumped in 3 paragraphs by Sanguinius?

The Blood Angels and their successors don't need Sanguinius to come back in my view.

I hope he stays dead.

Like with the Iron Hands, Sanguinius's death shapes the Blood Angels and their successors in more ways then just the Black Rage. Their whole visage of accepting their damnation as a matter of time and doing it gracefully as Angels like Sanguinius did makes the Blood Angels who they are.

If Sanguinius were to come back, your Blood Angels might as well just be red Ultramarines.

Besides, we've seen just how poorly Guiliman views the 41st Millenium: one of his quotes from the gathering storm was literally "better we had burned in the fires of Horus' ambition then to live in this," and he was one of the more level headed loyalist primarchs amongst his brothers. Even if several primarchs including Horus admitted that Sanguinius was the best of them all, Sanguinius would cause more controversy and damage then Guiliman's sole return would.

As much as Guiliman was the right choice of the surviving loyalist Primarchs to catapult the death clock out the window and commence the Dark Imperium, he's also a fish out of the water: this is not the Imperium the Emperor wanted or the Imperium that the Primarchs left behind. As cool as it is to have a Primarch back in action, I'm also disappointed that it had to come to that: despite all he did for the Imperium in two Tyrannic wars and beyond, we saw how easily Guiliman eclipsed Marneus Calgar upon his return doing in hours what Calgar took months to half accomplish. How would it make Dante look with his thousands of years of experience being trumped in 3 paragraphs by Sanguinius?

The Blood Angels and their successors don't need Sanguinius to come back in my view.

Now that you put things in perspective, I really wouldn't want Sanguinius to throw Dante out of the picture like RG did to Calgar. However, Sangunius could come back as a warp entity. Coming and going as the Sanguinar? Perhaps, he is the Sanguinar. 

• 2 months later...

If Sanguinius comes back, then his sacrifice was for nought, all the Blood Angels' suffering, torment but most importantly their victories are worth nothing. I hope they'll let him stay dead, or else this game has lost all sense of direction that ever existed in the fluff.

Wouldn't mind a model for 30k, though.

Snorri

If Sanguinius comes back, then his sacrifice was for nought, all the Blood Angels' suffering, torment but most importantly their victories are worth nothing. I hope they'll let him stay dead, or else this game has lost all sense of direction that ever existed in the fluff.

Snorri

This got discussed to death. No it wouldn't change anything about his sacrifice if he came back. He didn't know he'd come back and Blood Angels and the rest of the IoM had to live for 10k years without him still.

Just because someone comes back doesn't make the act of sacrifice less important or impactful.

In my opinion Sanguinius is going to come back. And I believe this because The Sanguinor must be related to Sanguinius in some way, and it doesn't make sense for it to exist if Sanguinius isn't going to have something to do with the 40k universe again.

The origins of the Sanguinor are covered in th HH short story "Herald of Sanguinius". In order to protect Sanguinius from assassination attempts after Kurze's attack on Imperium Secundus, the SG decided to appoint 1 of their number as Sanguinius' Herald. His job was to stand in for the Primarch in public displays etc. The SG competed in various trials of skill, strength and luck until only 2 remained. Azkellon then killed 1 and sealed the other inside his armour to ensure that the Sanguinor's original identity could never be learned after Azkellon's own death.  Admittedly that doesn't explain why he is still running around in the 41st millennium. Blood Angels are the longest lived of the Astartes. The Sanguinor was created directly from Sanguinius Geneseed while he was still alive without the subsequent 10k years of degradation. Could he be functionally immortal? Whatever his origins, I think the Sanguinor is now more than just flesh and blood.

Both the Sanguinor and Mephiston offer a way for Sanguinius to return via possession if that is the route GW chooses to take the fluff.

Hey - regarding the swearing after my post -

mods please note that no offense was taken. I understand the spirit in which it was meant :)

regarding my claim that Sangy will be back:

I have two separate reliable sources that have both said it is happening, one going as far as saying he will be the next Primarch release. Obvs I cant say who they are, Im sure you can work out the reasons.

Part of me refuses to believe it because I dont want to be hurt if it doesnt happen, but part of me is already planning the sangy release party

mods please note that no offense was taken. I understand the spirit in which it was meant :smile.:

I have two separate reliable sources that have both said it is happening, one going as far as saying he will be the next Primarch release. Obvs I cant say who they are, Im sure you can work out the reasons.

Part of me refuses to believe it because I dont want to be hurt if it doesnt happen, but part of me is already planning the sangy release party

Don't worry, Jolemai just acted out the forum guidelines which is totally fine. Using acronyms for such things is not allowed here after all...even if I don't see how writing it the way I did is worse than the corrected version. :P

To your sources. Well I'll believe it when we get some leaked images or something else with substance. So far it's about as likely as some random person saying that the Emperor will be back next year. :P

My own sources suggest Russ will be next but 40K release rumours are rather like Schrodinger's cat. ;)

Sangy returning could tie in to one rumour I heard (annoyingly I cannot remember who from now) that one of the returning loyalist Primarchs would not get a warm welcome from IoM. I guessed that this meant Russ might come back looking like a giant Wulfen but it might be different. Sangy is the deadest of the dead (after Horus) so if he suddenly returns under dubious circumstances (like possessing Mephiston or the Sangiunor) a lot of people might get very antsy about it.

Even Guillliman might not know whether it is really his brother.

mods please note that no offense was taken. I understand the spirit in which it was meant :smile.:

Maybe it will be 30k Sanguinius?

My own sources suggest Russ will be next but 40K release rumours are rather like Schrodinger's cat. :wink:

Sangy returning could tie in to one rumour I heard (annoyingly I cannot remember who from now) that one of the returning loyalist Primarchs would not get a warm welcome from IoM. I guessed that this meant Russ might come back looking like a giant Wulfen but it might be different. Sangy is the deadest of the dead (after Horus) so if he suddenly returns under dubious circumstances (like possessing Mephiston or the Sangiunor) a lot of people might get very antsy about it.

Even Guillliman might not know whether it is really his brother.

I will swear off the SW's if Russ comes back as a wulfen, maybe go Flesh Tearers. I hope the next primarch isn't Russ but rather Lion because it will be interesting to see Guilliman and Lion dealing with each other.

As for Sanguinius, who knows he is a character that has severe  pro's and con's of his return. I can't make up my mind on if he should or shouldn't come back. It makes me kind of wish the primarchs didn't come back but recognize the need for them to progress the story forward they must at this point. 

I agree that the Lion would make a more obvious choice for the next Primarch given his personal antagonism with RG over the Imperium Secundus affair. I was actually surprised that RG came first after the 7th ed Codex made it clear that the Lion is all healed and ready for action.

To be fair, Russ, Corax, Khan and Vulkan are all simply missing and could turn up whenever the plot requires their presence. Even Dorn's death was assumed rather than proved since they never found his body apart from the hands.

Whilst being perhaps the most iconic of the Primarchs, Sanguinius is also the hardest to bring back.

In my opinion Sanguinius is going to come back. And I believe this because The Sanguinor must be related to Sanguinius in some way, and it doesn't make sense for it to exist if Sanguinius isn't going to have something to do with the 40k universe again.

The origins of the Sanguinor are covered in th HH short story "Herald of Sanguinius". In order to protect Sanguinius from assassination attempts after Kurze's attack on Imperium Secundus, the SG decided to appoint 1 of their number as Sanguinius' Herald. His job was to stand in for the Primarch in public displays etc. The SG competed in various trials of skill, strength and luck until only 2 remained. Azkellon then killed 1 and sealed the other inside his armour to ensure that the Sanguinor's original identity could never be learned after Azkellon's own death.  Admittedly that doesn't explain why he is still running around in the 41st millennium. Blood Angels are the longest lived of the Astartes. The Sanguinor was created directly from Sanguinius Geneseed while he was still alive without the subsequent 10k years of degradation. Could he be functionally immortal? Whatever his origins, I think the Sanguinor is now more than just flesh and blood.

Both the Sanguinor and Mephiston offer a way for Sanguinius to return via possession if that is the route GW chooses to take the fluff.

If that's the same Sanguinor, but there is nothing to suggest that.

Plus, the functionally immortal thing is untrue.

Plus he's a spirit, and is in no way flesh and blood. (See Dante where he bursts into existence out of thin air).

Snorri

This got discussed to death. No it wouldn't change anything about his sacrifice if he came back. He didn't know he'd come back and Blood Angels and the rest of the IoM had to live for 10k years without him still.

Just because someone comes back doesn't make the act of sacrifice less important or impactful.

Yes, it does. Sanguinuns saw his death in the future, surely he would've gotten the hint if he was to be resurrected some time later on? Going into death knowing that you'll be "fine" later is no sacrifice at all.

On a more serious note, Sanguinius is dead. For good. Anything that will bring him back from the dead after 10.000 years is nothing short of vile sorcery, warp-works of the tainted, corrupted Dark Gods and therefore heresy. We should alert the Chaplains immediately to put everyone claiming such heresy to be possible to the sword.

Snorri

Snorri

Yes, it does. Sanguinuns saw his death in the future, surely he would've gotten the hint if he was to be resurrected some time later on? Going into death knowing that you'll be "fine" later is no sacrifice at all.

On a more serious note, Sanguinius is dead. For good. Anything that will bring him back from the dead after 10.000 years is nothing short of vile sorcery, warp-works of the tainted, corrupted Dark Gods and therefore heresy. We should alert the Chaplains immediately to put everyone claiming such heresy to be possible to the sword.

Snorri

I seriously don't feel like having that discussion again. Pretty sure it got done in this very thread already even. It does not. Unless he knew that he'd come back it was a legit sacrifice with all that comes with it. Him coming back 10k years doesn't change anything about that. Hell even IF he had a doubt about his death being permanent he most likely wouldn't have known that he'd be dead for 10k years and coming back at a time where the IoM is further away from what the Emperor wanted it to be than ever before. Something he maybe could've prevented if he had stayed alive. It doesn't nvalidate all the suffering his sons had to go through after his death due the twin curse nor does it invalidate anything the Blood Angels achieved in his absence.

Literally nothing would change about his sacrifice and what it meant for the setting if he were to come back except that some people here would be annoyed by it (and some don't so it pretty much equals out).

The other day I got the opportunity to speak with someone higher up in the corporate side of GW in the U.S.  who was also still a super nerd for the genre and still plays his two armies ... we talked for a good hour and he said straight faced and casually that the primarchs will all be returning EXCEPT for the ones that are dead- Horus, Sanguinius, Manus, and Kurze. He said, matter of factly, that they will remain dead because their deaths were core to the entire story and genre.

So there you go.

Sanguinius is not coming back brothers. But his death and what it caused is at the heart of who we are. So seek olace in that fact.

Dorn

Russ

Corax

Khan

etc ... all are coming back, same with the traitor/daemon primarchs. Its part of the story they are building up to ...

Actually pretty darned high up ;)

Archived