The first BL book you ever read

R_F_D

It is really interesting to see what everyone's hook was!

It seems strange to me as someone who read White Dwarf and knew the background to think of the HH as a person's entrance to the world. In a way I am quite envious of starting on the journey blind and having no knowledge of what is to happen!

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded msn-wink.gif

Horus Rising shortly after finding out how awesome the setting is after playing Dawn of War. Somehow I think I still had some knowledge of the setting before that though, probably just secondary exposure from reading about video games and probably reading on wikipedia.

From there I went to the Eisenhorn series and then the Ultramarine omnibus.

Horus Rising shortly after finding out how awesome the setting is after playing Dawn of War. Somehow I think I still had some knowledge of the setting before that though, probably just secondary exposure from reading about video games and probably reading on wikipedia.

From there I went to the Eisenhorn series and then the Ultramarine omnibus.

Ahh naive youth msn-wink.gif

Mine was either krokodil tears or Genevieve.

Dark future was such a kick ass setting. I seem to remember reading zaragoz and the Konrad books around that time.

Then I had a big break from the hobby and got back into it by reading gotrek and felix.

Hammerers of Ulric.

Still love that story

Good one. Prefer 'Riders of the Dead' over it through.

And what was your W40K first novel, in case I missed your earlier answer?

So much good old classic remembered here. I so miss old WFB yes.gif

Hammerers of Ulric.

Still love that story

Either the first of King's Ragnar series or Ghostmaker. Both were read so close to each other and so long ago it's a bit blurry which came first.

Hammerers of Ulric.

Still love that story

Either the first of King's Ragnar series or Ghostmaker. Both were read so close to each other and so long ago it's a bit blurry which came first.

You mean 'First and only'? 'Ghostmaker' is a second GG book

No, I meant Ghostmaker.

I started the series out of order, as I only played Fantasy when I first started so didnt know crap about the setting.

Ahhh, that happens :) Anyway - you read the first book after that anyway yes.gif

Yeh I think they count, I mean technically I read White Dwarf first so was then almost certainly exposed to Inferno! and Warhammer Monthly. I loved, and still do, the backgrounds created in the 90s which, when I return to, I see were written by many of the writers we still talk about today.

Horus Rising...great way to get hooked

To the one who hasn't known anything about the lore smile.png

I really don't think that is true at all. I think the HH was/is a fantastic series in allowing people who know the basic tenets to explore it further. The series is 11 years old now but I for one still retain a sense of excitement at finding out the foundations of the setting I fell in love with as a kid, first as the models and then with fiction.

Horus Rising...great way to get hooked

To the one who hasn't known anything about the lore smile.png

I really don't think that is true at all. I think the HH was/is a fantastic series in allowing people who know the basic tenets to explore it further. The series is 11 years old now but I for one still retain a sense of excitement at finding out the foundations of the setting I fell in love with as a kid, first as the models and then with fiction.

Of course. It was partly sarcasm :) Anyway those who 'knew' the lore will get absolutely different opinion and flavour than the ones who does not know it msn-wink.gif

I'd read White Dwarf when much younger and old recently got back into the whole thing. For some reason which i can't recall now, the first book i read was The First Heretic. then decided, while it was a good read, i didn't have a clue what was going on so better go to the start and got Horus Rising shortly afterwards

I was around before the black library was founded, I think the first thing I read by them wasn't actually a book but inferno magazine, which was often brilliant. Still remember a few of the stories now, especially Jonathan Green's Hounds of Winter in the first (well, 0) issue.

Archived