Shadow War: Armageddon, Chaos factions

Slightly dumb thing to whine about, but I really wish our champions could take power axes.

Overall more weapon options would be nice. It's really hard to equip my Slaanesh melee dude differently to my Khorne melee dude in a way that matters without one of them being the Leader. >_>

Yeah I'm not going to pretend I wasn't a little bit sad that the Raptor can't be equipped with a pair of lightning claws. My Chaos Lord would have made a really cool Special Operations model.

Oh well, now I have an excuse to get more Raptors and make a Raptor champ with a fist and a plasma pistol.

So since we can get different Marks for different models, I'm thinking now of doing Undivided for the Lead, to help with bottle tests since we don't have that many models.

Slightly dumb thing to whine about, but I really wish our champions could take power axes.

Yeah I know the power axes look awesome in this being +3 STR two handed so some of my death guard champions wielded Scythes would of been awesome fielding :D

Maybe we don't get much options at this stage since chaos isn't one of the core factions (hence why no legion rukes) maybe we will get some sort of expanded DLC later on

That and the plethora of illustrations over the years with chaos dudes wielding axes. Oh well, it's a small thing. As you say, maybe one day. Do we know who actually can use power axes? Just so I can hate them extra.

Cross posting from News.

Apart from Special and Heavy weapons, use pistols.

Cheaper, can use pistol profile in CC, +2 to Hit at short range, etc.

Aspiring Champion

Camo Gear

MoN

Combat Blade

Chaos Space Marine

Camo Gear

Combat Blade

MoN

Chaos Space Marine

Bolter

Combat Blade

MoN

Chaos Space Marine ( Gunner )

Bolter

Combat Blade

MoN

Chaos Space Marine ( Gunner )

Bolter

Combat Blade

MoN

Cultist

Combat Blade

Improvised Armor

Cultist

Combat Blade

Improvised Armor

Cultist

Combat Blade

Improvised Armor

Cultist

Combat Blade

Improvised Armor

1000 Points

Just going to go my usual Mordheim/Necromunda/Gorkamorka route. Get the bare essentials, aim for the objectives, bottle when sacrificial cultists get offered up to Nurgle and hope that I make enough to buy upgrades for the next round.

I plan to give the Champion and the unarmed Marine a ranged weapon of some sort, spent the rest on gear upgrades. From there I'll save up Promethium Caches to snag heavy weapons for my Gunners and/or pick up more Chaos Marines.

I'd do the same but I kinda want my models to be proper wysiwyg and I don't want to make like 3 versions of each just because they had basically no equip in the beginning. :D

I hear that. I'm fiddling about with magnets and I have a ton of random bits floating around from trades that'll make the legs and torsos look unique enough so that no matter what their weaponry is ( even if it's just the combat blade ), that they'll look unique.

Half tempted to make the helmets magnetic as well.

Luckily my Chaos armys so big I dont need to build new minis when gear changes. Small blessing I guess.

Sure I could use just any model but where's the fun when you don't make your guys look special for a campaign? :P

For those who've not seen it.

Warhammer Community page has just posted that the rules will be up for advance order on the 22nd April & they will be up for order over the 7 days.  There will also be a digital version of the rules up for sale as well.

Really happy about that.

Also look like I'll need to get my kill-team ready for next week as there a campaign happing.  Try sort out my models so there all ready to build next weekend during my days off & recovering from a gig I'm going to on Sunday.

Luckily my Chaos armys so big I dont need to build new minis when gear changes. Small blessing I guess.

Sure I could use just any model but where's the fun when you don't make your guys look special for a campaign? :P
Actually its a perfect excuse to buy the FW Deathguard conversion kit and some Mk3 plastics. Make them look like they have been through hell and back.

Sure I could use just any model but where's the fun when you don't make your guys look special for a campaign? tongue.png
Actually its a perfect excuse to buy the FW Deathguard conversion kit and some Mk3 plastics. Make them look like they have been through hell and back.

Are you not going to wait for the plastic Death Guards to get release?

​Another note - Here the Warhammer community note on the rules

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/09/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules-available-soon/

Haven't had time to post a batrep yet but played more games and here are some additional learnings:

If you're trying to get into close combat, go all or nothing. No point sending one guy only to have him pinned (as more folks learn to use overwatch). I've been running a cc star of 2 Cultists (human shields) up front followed by a MoS Marine (to be able to recover from Pin) followed by a MoN Marine to take the first round of combat, followed by my Chainsword Leader / Champion.

Get a Plasma or Autocannon to pin Harlequins, Tyranids, etc.

I'm teaching my cousin to play, using the following warband of snapfits and bits.

Leader - Power Armor, Combat Blade, Power Fist

Gunner - Power Armor, Combat Blade, Plasma Gun

Gunner - Power Armor, Combat Blade, Autocannon, Red-dot Sight

Cultist - Improvised Armor, Combat Blade, Autogun

Sure I could use just any model but where's the fun when you don't make your guys look special for a campaign? tongue.png

Are you not going to wait for the plastic Death Guards to get release?

Oh I am gonna start a whole new army with those beautys!! Cant wait to get my hands on them.

Well, I'm kind of excited for the release of this game and I'm glad there's already a tactical thread of it!

I'm planning of running this list:

Aspiring Champion (225): 240

- Mark of Slaanesh

- Assault Blade 15

Chaos Gunner (130): 285

- Mark of Nurgle

- Autocannon 150

- Camo Gear 5

Chaos Space Marine (120): 185

- Mark of Tzeentch

- Boltgun 35

- Camo Gear 5

- Inferno Bolts 25

Chaos Space Marine (120): 170

- Mark of Khorne

- Chainsword 25

- Frag Grenades 25

Cultist (40): 40

TOTAL:1000

So, I don't know if I'm starting with too many upgrades and should try to remove something to fit another cultist, like for example the frag grenades and the Inferno Bolts; or if maybe I should remove them to kit the Cultists out a bit .

The plan is to run a cultist with the champion and two with the Khorne marine, while leaving the gunner and the Tzeentch marine sniping behind. I will progress them as following:

- The Slaanesh champion will progress through the Stealth tree and will eventually go alone (when he acquires the skill that allows you to run and hide), sneaking up to kill the other team's leader to gain more skills. He will be kitted with a power sword and an assault blade with no other weapons appart from grenades to be able to gain the extra attack (for a total of three dice) and having the ability to parry twice, perfect for killing other leaders.

- The Nurgle gunner will stay alone, shooting things with his autocannon and hopefully taking them out due to High Impact. He doesn't need much upgrading, though maybe I'll eventually add blight grenades or a cc weapon in case someone gets too near. He will progress through the guerrilla tree, as I think it has some pretty cool buffs and want to take advantage of the gunner capability to take them.

- The Tzeentch marine will act as a sniper with his Inferno boltgun, and he will get pretty much all of the miscellaneous objects :P (with maybe the clip harness being the only one not necessary). As for skills he will go down the Shooting tree, though the gunner and champion are more of a priority.

- The Khorne marine will be the one to go with the Cultists, he will use bolt pistol and chainsword and eventually some grenades (actually thinking of starting with pistol instead of grenades). About skills I don't know if he should go for combat or muscle ones, but he's the one in the team less likely to get them, so I'll have time to think it out.

- Cultists will be used mostly as meat shields and to add bodies for bottle tests, that's why I haven't kitted them out, though maybe adding a cc weapon would be nice... Either way I'll sometimes spend my 100 points in adding two more when the ones I start with die, but they're not the focus of my kill team at all.

I haven't played a single game, nor did I ever play Necromunda when it was a thing, so everything here is purely hipothetical and don't know how it will turn out, so any counsel or tip will be welcome. However I do not want to play too competitively, this is mostly a n excuse to try out true scaling some marines ;)!

Now, regarding more generic tactics and not just my kill team, there are a couple of things I wanted to ask to the community to see what is the general opinion:

- First, does Inferno Ammunition makes sense over a Plasma Gun? Plasma Guns are Str 7 instead of 4, so they'll wound most foes on a 2+; are High Impact, having a higher chance to pin and kill enemies forever which, while a bit mean, I think that can be a huge boon, and have sustained fire, being able to shoot at more than one enemy and getting higher chances of killing the original target, another great ability. However the Inferno Boltgun is 20 points cheaper, doesn't blow up in your face (which is somehow mitigated by the fact that plasma guns can be somehow used as boltguns in this game), could be taken on pistols which offers a bit of versatility, are less likely to run out of ammo and, when it does, can be used as a normal boltgun and it can be taken by regular marines instead of gunners, which actually makes it 10 points cheaper and frees up a gunner slot. Overall I think that the Inferno Boltgun gets the edge here, as the plasma gun seems too unreliable to me, with ammo of 7+ and exploding on 6s, using sustained fire is almost suicidal, and you're paying a lot of points for it. Even though, I would love to hear people's opinions on it, it seems like it could be fun to have a madman running around blowing up people at the risk of quite possibly blowing up himself!

-Second, there is the Autocannon vs the Heavy Bolter issue, as they're the two sustained fire heavy weapons that CSM have. The Autocannon is 30 points cheaper, while being Str 7 instead of 5 (so it is a High Impact weapon, which not only allows it to take out enemies easier but is better at pinning), has Save Mod. -3 instead of -2 and Ammo Roll of 4+ instead of 5+, however the Heavy Bolter has sustained fire 2 while the Autocannon has sustained fire 1, which means that it has 2-6 shots instead of 1-3, the double of shots by average. This means that a lucky Heavy Bolter could almost kill a closely placed whole kill team, or drown an enemy characters in shots to almost assure him eventually failing a save. All of this taken into account I think that the Autocannon wins, as it is more versatile (mixing fire volume and powerful shots) while being actually cheaper, and usually a single d3 of that profile should be enough to kill an important model or a couple of lesser ones, and does not depend on your enemy closing models in (which they'll avoid when they see sustained fire weapons).

- At last I wanted to ask to what point do you think that Mark of Slaanesh is worth it, as Initiative doesn't seem to be too important in this game. It ends draws in close combat, but Khorne makes it easier for you to win combat at all, and there's even a skill that auto wins draws. They improve the charge maximum distance but, if I've read it right, without also improving movement that is useless. This means that it would only really be useful for detecting hiding enemies, which seems kind of a minor advantage, and for the various initiative checks that the games requires, such as avoiding falling or pinning if you have a non new recruit near (which isn't very probable with CSM, as usually marines will be far appart with just Cultists accompanying them). So, am I missing something or is this the worse mark by far? I've taken it on my Champion for fluff reasons more than anything else, but it would be cool if it served for something else...

Thanks for the attention, as said before I have no experience on this and it would be great to hear other people's opinions, either to improve my initial kill team idea and/or to tackle the three issues I've mentioned!

Archived