Shadow War: Armageddon, Chaos factions

How does running out of ammo work?

is the weapon reload upgrade worth it?

If you roll a 6 on the to-hit roll you have to make an ammo check. Roll 2d6 and if its below the ammo value you can't use that weapon for the rest of the game anymore. The weapon reload upgrade lets you reroll your first failed ammo check.

If you roll a 6 on the to-hit roll you have to make an ammo check. Roll 2d6 and if its below the ammo value you can't use that weapon for the rest of the game anymore. The weapon reload upgrade lets you reroll your first failed ammo check.

Ok so a bolter which is 5+ is on 2D6 I will save my 18 points then. Another  7 points more and I could have a bolt pistol as well

Ok so a bolter which is 5+ is on 2D6 I will save my 18 points then. Another  7 points more and I could have a bolt pistol as well

Back-up weapons are for Gunners, and Gunners only. :P

Guess what's on battlescribe now :D data files for shadow war are now on battlescribe so you can create Kill team rosters without resorting to the witchcraft of writing them out yourself using maths :D

Also got full skill slots you can use easily during campaigns to keep track of what skills each fighter unlocks

Don't buy secondary weapons for anyone at the start. Save points for more men. In fact, apart from a heavy weapon, I would recommend all pistols. Because if you get hit, you get pinned and all the equipment you have will be for naught. More models will make it more likely that you have unhit models to do stuff.

My Tzeentch list:

Aspiring Champion w/ Bolt Pistol

Chaos Marine w/ Bolter

Chaos Marine w/ Bolter

Chaos Marine w/ Heavy Bolter

Cultist

Cultist

Cultist

Did fine against Harlequins. Previously I was giving the guys Inferno Bolts.. not smart. Need bodies.

My Tzeentch list:

Aspiring Champion w/ Bolt Pistol

Chaos Marine w/ Bolter

Chaos Marine w/ Bolter

Chaos Marine w/ Heavy Bolter

Cultist

Cultist

Cultist

Did fine against Harlequins. Previously I was giving the guys Inferno Bolts.. not smart. Need bodies.

That is what I was doing... however I want my Leader to have Power/Sword of some sort. Otherwise It feels too.. .stand offish. I also want "Parry'.

So far I did a mini report using my Grey Knights... now you want to talk about body count issues? wow. Chaos has it good getting Cultists access.

But now that I'm in two campaigns, I've learned that the toys will come. Bodies are good, but I still believe in giving the gunner some toys.

Here what I'm planning on doing

One list was

Champion, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Undivided

Chaos Marine, Telescopic, Bolter, Undivided

Chaos Marine, Bolter, Red Dot sight, Undivided

Chaos Marine Gunner, Flamer, Undivided

Cultist, Autogun

Cultist, Autogun

Cultist, Autogun

1000pts

But in campaign maybe getting the most costly models.  One thing is I drop the three Cultist - 180pts.  Upgrade one of my Chaos Marines into a Gunner (+10pts to current Chaos Marine), give him Autocannon (150pts).  I think Photo Visor the one reduce cover save?  Model that as a servo skull.
Then I've got 40pts spare.

Then add the Cultist during any campaign games, since there 60pts with autoguns.  My local store running a shadow war campaign next week. 

So try get everything built for then.  Maybe use the list shown there for none campaign games/just one off games against my friends.  Go with the list w/Autocannon during any campaign held games, as said add cultist & wargear later on.

Just going with stuff I think will look cool & fit with the way & theme I want from my models & squad, which is important part to me.  Think Storm of Iron novel when Honsou led his warrior to take out key bunker before the Iron Warriors launcher there attack.  Then later on, his company, with a Warrior from Forrix Company, infiltrate & gain information against the fortification there about to attack.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Insane-Psychopath/2016/P1070214_zpsuv9tkrad.jpg

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Insane-Psychopath/2016/P1070215_zpsydu92wpz.jpg

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Insane-Psychopath/2016/P1070216_zpsac93x4dc.jpg

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/Insane-Psychopath/2016/P1070217_zps3ji9hddt.jpg

I like where you're going with this IP.

Oddly enough one of my thoughts was firing up my old Iron Warriors for this and Storm of Iron immediately came to mind. Of course I need more Chaos projects like Magnus needs another eye injury. But yea, I like the list flamers (I found in my last game ) are good.

I like where you're going with this IP.

Oddly enough one of my thoughts was firing up my old Iron Warriors for this and Storm of Iron immediately came to mind. Of course I need more Chaos projects like Magnus needs another eye injury. But yea, I like the list flamers (I found in my last game ) are good.

Flamer will still be in ether list I use :)  All I loss for the Autocannon IW is the 3x Cultist & a Bolter to get the points turn a Chaos Marine into Autocannon arm model.  Then I think by doing that I also have 40pts to spare, so some upgrade.

I think Autocannon one for campaign.  Cultist list for one off games/none campaign.

With the Flamer, just more something I've not really use that often & think image/theme wise for the squad be pretty cool.  Also allow me to try out sort of heat effect on the flamer.

I wounder if Semper will be allow Shadow War units for ETL this year?

I don't know how much people in the Chaos thread care about terrain (more about destroying it I suppose!), but I did post my finished Armageddon terrain with some Chaos figs and Magnus to show scale of it. The Terrain is quite good:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/332907-prots-shadow-war-terrain-configurations-and-scale/?p=4709668

I don't know how much people in the Chaos thread care about terrain (more about destroying it I suppose!), but I did post my finished Armageddon terrain with some Chaos figs and Magnus to show scale of it. The Terrain is quite good:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/332907-prots-shadow-war-terrain-configurations-and-scale/?p=4709668

Looks good but I can't believe you have finished it already!

Okay so I had my first SW:A match yesterday.

I used the follwing list:

Aspiring Champion, Undivided, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Camo gear (sounds like Cypher? Yeah I noticed as well but i swear it was really not intended to be like him! :D )

Marine, Slaanesh, frag grenade, Assault Sword

Marine, Tzeetnch, Bolter, Inferno ammo

Marine, Khorne, Chainsword, Bolt Pistol

Gunner, Nurgle, Flamer

My opponent was playing AM with 8 guys in his team. A sniper with BS5, a Grenade Launcher, a Shotgun and the rest basic Lasgun guys. Everyone with Carapace Armor.

We randomly rolled for mission and had to play Kill Team Fight (you win by making the enemy rout or by downing/killing all of his team). Sounded pretty good for me and bad for him since we both had to down/kill two of the enemy to make him test just that mine were Marines with a LD10 leader and his were Guardsment with a LD8 leader.

The match itself was dirty and rather unsatisfying. I seriously underestimated how strong superior range with good BS is.

I had to deploy first. He was starting first. Ouch.

The Khorne guy, my Leader and the Tzeentch guy kept getting pinned, the Khrone guy got eventually downed and at the end of my turn died. Khorne definitely wanted some blood. The Tzeentch guy got -2BS/-2WS over the course of the game and didn't do anything except for getting pinned. My Undivided Leader got -1BS/-1WS and got eventually downed.

The Nurgle guy with the Flamer downed one Guardsmen but instantly went out of ammo. The Slaanesh guy threw his Frag grenade, hit two, downed one of them. Went out of ammo as well tho. Of course he would. Who needs shooting anyway, right? >_>

My opponent passed all of his ammo checks except for his sniper in the last round of the game. He also passed two of his bottle checks before I had to test as well and of course failed it.

So I lost without ever being able to do much except for getting pinned for days.

One of his Guardsmen got a full recovery and the other got captured by me...still no idea how I would ever have managed that unless they simply left him and one of my guys sneaked back to pick him up. :D

My Khorne guy died for good. Thanks Khorne. rolleyesclean.gif My Leader was allowed to advance tho which was pretty cool. He got the Evade skill from the Stealth tree btw. Very fitting for getting pinned the whole game. ;)

The next match the AM player tried to rescue his friend but failed to do so (he gave up on it very soon when he noticed that he deployed very badly, set off the alarm turn 1 without doing anything except for pinning my Slaanesh guy and getting two of his four guys getting pinned....one by me shooting at his sniper nd the other was his leader who failed to jump down a building :D ).

So with all those points and stuff I now have a cultist (seems like I didn't capture him but rather he deserted and came with me on his own after all whistling.gif ), everyone has Camo Gear and the Tzeentch guy now also has Photo-Visor, Red-dot laser sight and Telescopic sight on top of his Inferno Ammo....guess I got myself a neat Sniper guy there. He now shoots at BS5 at 36" range while reducing cover by 1 with a S4 -3 weapon. :D

Seriously tho, those misc upgrades are worth their weight in gold. They can turn average weapons in really good weapons for just 55p. 40p if you don't care about the reducing cover save by 1. Seeing how easy access CSM and AM have to long range high BS shooting to pin the enemy team for days I feel really bad about playing my Tau kill team eventually (only 18" range with BS3 on T3 5+ bodies...)

Nice write up, I take it you won the second game?

So on the 23rd I am doing my first Shadow Wars event. I have a few lists, but I would really like to take a Thousand Sons theme one. Originally I just had 4x Tzeentch marines with inferno bolters and a tzeentch champion with powersword. Do you think it would be better to drop 1 or 2 marines and put some wargear on my other inferno bolters, then pick up a few cultists too?

Nice write up, I take it you won the second game?

So on the 23rd I am doing my first Shadow Wars event. I have a few lists, but I would really like to take a Thousand Sons theme one. Originally I just had 4x Tzeentch marines with inferno bolters and a tzeentch champion with powersword. Do you think it would be better to drop 1 or 2 marines and put some wargear on my other inferno bolters, then pick up a few cultists too?

Yeah i got 2 out of my 5 models to defend and he only 4 to attack, deployed all of them on top of a building without ladder because he derped a bit. His Leader got pinned trying to climb down and besides that he only pinned my Slaanesh guy with a grenade without downing or killing him so the alarm went off and another 2 of my guys arrived turn 1. I pinned his Sniper guy and that's when he gave up. :P

Tau cadets are cheap though and with Pulse Carbines are S5 AP-2

Yeah they are cheap and S5 -2 is definitely good but without ever getting in range you won't be able to shoot. Tau will be strong against elite teams that can't stay at range but if they get outnumbered and outranged they'll have a baaad time.

Torn up about doing a single legion style gang, or a pot-pourri of many different marks and marines.

At first I wanted to put in a Rubrik, a Plague, a Noise Marine and a Berzerker....but since I still had half of a box of regular Marines with all the god specific bits left I decided to go with Red Corsairs instead so they all could have their own Marks but still share the same color scheme. Also Space Pirates are cool. :D

Just a side note... I've played some 'rescue' missions and to my recollection the 'attacker' is deploying on a random edge.

Having a guy get up twice, with two flesh wounds is incredible. I haven't done that yet. Sounds like a Nurgle candidate to me. lol

Torn up about doing a single legion style gang, or a pot-pourri of many different marks and marines.

At first I wanted to put in a Rubrik, a Plague, a Noise Marine and a Berzerker....but since I still had half of a box of regular Marines with all the god specific bits left I decided to go with Red Corsairs instead so they all could have their own Marks but still share the same color scheme. Also Space Pirates are cool. biggrin.png

Oh man I miss my old Red Corsairs. They kind of disappeared, and then had a great little cameo in GSIII.

Shadow Wars was made for those dudes. A ragtag group of killer marines with different god allegiances, all trying to gain favour with Huron sounds perfect.

I can't seem to find the point costs for a power claw in the rulebook. Could anyone help me out with that?

Power Fist / power claw same thing 85 points.

This is on the Games Workshop web site now

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Shadow-War-Armageddon-ENG

Counter for SW:A

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/Armageddon_Counters.pdf

Army list

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/ENG_SWARoster.pdf

I'm looking forward to order my book tomorrow & just pick up last few things I need to convert up my Champion to led my squad.  Just got the Autocannon arm IW early today.

Archived