DA 8th Edition Info

Ezzeran

Time to dust off thoseĀ  sgts with powerfist then!

The edition seems to chance how Lon's blade will be played, but lots of other formations will change too, so it's not all bad news. I bet we'll find more combos in the weeks/months to come.

Deepstrike not scattering, 2 wounds, combined with being fearless seems to have given a new breath to DW terminators.

Time to dust off thoseĀ  sgts with powerfist then!

The edition seems to chance how Lon's blade will be played, but lots of other formations will change too, so it's not all bad news. I bet we'll find more combos in the weeks/months to come.

Deepstrike not scattering, 2 wounds, combined with being fearless seems to have given a new breath to DW terminators.

Ā 

Also looks like casualty removal will be up to the controlling player, not whos closest which means those powerfist sergeants will be way more value as they will be able to die last!

Two more interestingĀ potentially Deathwing-boosting rumours from yesterday:
Ā 

- Deepstriking units can be placed anywhere. Every unit with deep strike has a value. Have to beat it to land on target, otherwise opposing player can move unit the rolled distance
- There are no mishaps anymore

Ā 
Be interesting to get eyes on those deepstrike 'values'.

Ā 

- Deepstriking units can be placed anywhere. Every unit with deep strike has a value. Have to beat it to land on target, otherwise opposing player can move unit the rolled distance

Ā 

I am hoping, though we don't know this, that you can charge after deepstriking. The rules say you get overwatch if you deepstrike within 9" of the enemy model. Seems like an odd number unless you can charge. That would make for some interesting decisions. Risking a longer charge to not get overwatched etc.

New battleforged detachments are here! I think they said in the Q&A that there would be fourteen of these things in the rulebook and more, faction specific ones, when they release codices. It'll be interesting to see if if there are any that don't require troops (an 'Elite Strike Force' that just required an HQ and some Elites would be a sensible starting point for a Deathwing Force and a fast attack focused one would be good for Ravenwing).

Ā 

Interesting the flyers now have their own category so will not be competing with fast attack choices which may help put together predominantly Ravenwing armies (although I'd also like to see a points drop our power increase before I go to the back of the cupboard to find my Nephilims!)

Edited by JR-Jack

The primary strength of the DA flyers is that they don't look like turds, something few factions can boast about theirs.

Ā 

Man, I should see a doctor if your turds look like Imperial flyers, you might be pooping bricks

Edited by GreyRavenC

This maybe the edition where the veteran sarge is worth taking. Shame I just repurposed mine into a command squad.

Ā 

The change to being able to fire the bolt pistol in combat points to something going on with the chainsword as well I think there wanting to get more into the fluff of the thing then a chainsword should have some advantages over clubbing someone with a bolter or waving a kitchen knife at them (combat blade).

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I am hoping, though we don't know this, that you can charge after deepstriking. The rules say you get overwatch if you deepstrike within 9" of the enemy model. Seems like an odd number unless you can charge. That would make for some interesting decisions. Risking a longer charge to not get overwatched etc.

Ā 

Ā 

Thing is how are they going to deal with interceptor if your allowed to place your opponents models anywhere using the proscribed distance on a fail and if the Interceptor USR is gone does everyone get it or do you get buffed overwatch from being assaulted via DS?

On today's infantry update, seems like everyone can split fire, up to at least 3 targets! This will help in my opinion save from wasted bolter shots when trying to melta vehicles.

Ā 

Serious? Man, that is so awesome. It never made sense to shoot at the same target. Not to mention that you can actually hurt multiple squads if you have a sizable squad, forcing those brutal leadershiptests. I have a feeling that the new edition will be pretty brutal in ranged and CC. I'm looking forward to it!

Ā 

"Alright boys, there is a tank with 40 guys coming our way. Shoot everything you have at the tank!"

"Sir? shouldn't we concentrate on the infantry while our heavy deals with the tank? We can't even make a dent in armo..."

*BLAM*

"ANYONE ELSE TO MAKE OBJECTIONS? I WANT TO SEE LASRIFLES SHOOTING AT THAT BANEBLADE NOW!"

Well this sounds like a slight nerf to my RW play style.

I tended to run my attack bikes and speeders as units of 1.

I figured we had the FA slots, so why not make use of them.

Ā 

3 mm attack bikes has the same level of damage output when run as a single unit as it does as 3 separate units.

But defensively it required 3 units shooting at them in the same turn to stop them all as opposed to needing as few as 1 unit.

Ā 

Now if everyone gets to split fire, that will no longer be an advantage.

But still, given what we heard about morale the other day, units of 1 might still be the way I go.

Ā 

I can't wait to get my hands on the full set of rules.

Arg... this drip drip of rules is driving me nuts.

Won't be so bad for attack bikes, because with split fire you should be able to fire the bolters at something else than the multi melta.:smile.:

I lost track of how many precious bolter shots I wasted while aiming the MM at tanks!

Ā 

Equally, once you've killed something with the first melta, you can target the other two at something else (although now that tanks can't be one-shotted that might be less often).

Ā 

I'm also interested in the new 'to wound' table, especially for our bikes. Where previously/currently s7+ wounds T5 bikes on 2s, now anything that's s7,8 or 9 will only be wounding us on 3s. S4 still wounds on 5s, but so will s3 now.

Ā 

So against small arms fire we got slightly more vulnerable, but against the heavier hitting stuff we got slightly tougher. Will have to see how jinking translates into the new edition, but we are potentially looking at some interesting new dynamics here

Ā 

Equally, once you've killed something with the first melta, you can target the other two at something else (although now that tanks can't be one-shotted that might be less often).

Ā 

I really wouldn't hold my breath expecting being able to roll guns one by one. It will be declare all shooting, resolve, move on to next unit. Unless you'd like to see people rolling every single gun everywhere one by one to not 'waste' even single die?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I really wouldn't hold my breath expecting being able to roll guns one by one. It will be declare all shooting, resolve, move on to next unit. Unless you'd like to see people rolling every single gun everywhere one by one to not 'waste' even single die?

Agreed. It will likely be declare and then roll. The one by one thing is exactly what they wanted to avoid with Tau and target locks/markerlights/seekers/etc.

After seeing the 3 sample detachments on BoLS, I kind of had an inkling to see how possible it would be to field a Battalion detachment for the +9 Command Points. Ā So, I whipped up a list in Battlescribe. Ā Here's what I came up with.

Ā 

HQ

Interrogator Chaplain, bike

Librarian, ML1, bike

Techmarine, bike

Ā 

Troops

4x 5-man Tac Squad, lascannon

2x 5-man Scout Squad, missile launcher

Ā 

Elites

3x Dreadnought (MM+PF)

Ā 

Fast Attack

Dark Shroud

2x 5-man Black Knight squad

Ā 

Heavy Support

Whirlwind

2x dakka Pred

Ā 

Came in at just under 1840pts. Ā So, running a Battalion at standard tournament-level points is feasible, at least, assuming points stay fairly consistent with where they are now. Ā For me the question is going to be, will the advantages of running bigger units outweigh the advantages of adopting a MSU approach to max out on Command Points?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Agreed. It will likely be declare and then roll. The one by one thing is exactly what they wanted to avoid with Tau and target locks/markerlights/seekers/etc.

This is true. Perhaps I should rephrase - if you're parked near a rhino with 1 (or maybe even 2) wounds left, you can make the strategic decision/gamble to split fire 1 bike at it and shoot the rest at another target. Obviously if the dice betray you that will be sad, but it gives us a bit more flexibility compared with what we used to have