Primarch novels Alpha Legion

G_R_H

I'd enjoy either an origin story, of when were first found and how they evolved th XX legion, and what the XX legion were before the primarchs arrived OR what happened after they met the cabal, show us the conversations and debates that had to have happened, the plans and operations to prepare themselves for what they are doing, it would certainly clear everything up a little bit, make them more relatable... but then you lose some of the mystery I suppose

IIRC, A/O were leading a pirate fleet when Horus found them/was found by them. It would be really interesting to see what happened to their jolly bands when Legionaries showed up.

Pirate Marines. Now there's some fun to explore....

How about a choose your own adventure ... ?

It comes with a card that says "to learn which legionary is actually Alpharius, flip to the other side." The back side says "To learn which legionary is actually Alpharius, flip to the other side."

That's one of three theories about their discovery mentioned in FW third book:

a) Found by the Emperor

b) Found by Horus

c) They were on Terra the whole time

Any Choose Your Adventure book with Alpharius would have every option end in sucess, except for that one and the one that ends:

"The White Scars suddenly burst into attack formation, and with a speed never before seen among Imperial war fleets, vamouse through the merest chink in your cordon.

To go join Omegon in hunting Russ, turn to page 51. To report this setback to Horus, turn to page 72. To retire to your chambers and bang your head against the wall, turn to page 84."

They were space pirates???

I thought the canon background was that Horus' fleet attacked or was attacked by a fleet of space pirates that were especially well coordinated. It was one of the tougher naval battles Horus had ever fought, especially considering these were mere pirates, but he eventually gained the upper hand. But right as he was about to crush the enemy fleet reports came in that the Vengeful Spirit itself was being boarded and the intruders were almost through to the bridge. Horus was almost shocked by the sheer gall of it all...."what sort scavenger would dare to assault the bridge of a primarch's flagship, let alone nearly pull it off?" But then as the melta charges blow through the bridge doors and the leader of the pirate steps through, Horus can only smile from ear to ear. "Brother! At long last!"

Agree with b1soul, a book in two parts. Same story but half from alpharious point of view, other half from omagon. See them working the same mission but each has their own goal, and preferred outcome.

They were space pirates???

I thought the canon background was that Horus' fleet attacked or was attacked by a fleet of space pirates that were especially well coordinated. It was one of the tougher naval battles Horus had ever fought, especially considering these were mere pirates, but he eventually gained the upper hand. But right as he was about to crush the enemy fleet reports came in that the Vengeful Spirit itself was being boarded and the intruders were almost through to the bridge. Horus was almost shocked by the sheer gall of it all...."what sort scavenger would dare to assault the bridge of a primarch's flagship, let alone nearly pull it off?" But then as the melta charges blow through the bridge doors and the leader of the pirate steps through, Horus can only smile from ear to ear. "Brother! At long last!"

I think with the Alpha Legion there's rarely any such thing as canon ;)

That's the account from IA, if I remember correctly. Forge World's Book III (Extermination) has a page about Alpharius being discovered, where it includes that and several other scenarios purported to be the truth, saying of each "This account is a lie.". At the end it concludes that "Perhaps, like the most potent of falsehoods, they each contain a grain of truth within them, a hint at a greater secret yet, it is for each to judge for themselves."

French, Abnett, and Sanders have all written the AL very well and I'm sure that they all have the potential to make a very compelling novel on the subject.

That said, I thought The Harrowing was a shining example of what happens when an author's head gets so far up their own behind they stop understanding that stories are meant to be read rather than studied for 15 hours to grasp every little nuance and code-word packed into the prose.

I'd enjoy either an origin story, of when were first found and how they evolved th XX legion, and what the XX legion were before the primarchs arrived OR what happened after they met the cabal, show us the conversations and debates that had to have happened, the plans and operations to prepare themselves for what they are doing, it would certainly clear everything up a little bit, make them more relatable... but then you lose some of the mystery I suppose

IIRC, A/O were leading a pirate fleet when Horus found them/was found by them. It would be really interesting to see what happened to their jolly bands when Legionaries showed up.

Pirate Marines. Now there's some fun to explore....

How about a choose your own adventure ... ?

It comes with a card that says "to learn which legionary is actually Alpharius, flip to the other side." The back side says "To learn which legionary is actually Alpharius, flip to the other side."

Unexpected fleet assets laying in ambush - that's what the lore said. It was Horus 'opinion' that they are space pirates.

'To go join Omegon in hunting Russ, turn to page 51. To report this setback to Horus, turn to page 72. To retire to your chambers and bang your head against the wall, turn to page 84." - bravo to bluntblade teehee.gif

aaaabnett aaaabnett aaaabnett

Seconded!

Actually Abnett already did all he could for AL - that's why he will not do a better story than 'Legion'

I can only hope Sanders writes it. If it's Abnett...just no.

Same - 'Serpent Beneath' is the best AL stuff ever.

Abnett's doing a signing on the 6th so could ask him about the Primarch series then? It's for 2000AD so not sure how much time he'll have for other stuff.

ask him straight away. We are all curious rolleyesclean.gif

I'm more the reverse myself. Personally, I find Rob Sanders' work to be fairly consistently among the worst of the series. A Deeper Darkness, Cybernetica, The Harrowing, The Honoured, Distant Echoes of Old Night. That said, The Iron Within showed he is capable of something much better, and I'll admit The Serpent Beneath was pretty good (though I don't love it as much as a lot of folks do). So I don't think I'd be bewailing it if he was doing Alpharius' book, but I can't say I'm hoping for it either.

I think it's bit unfair to put Sanders in the same bag with Thorpe or Kyme but I have to agree that some of his works are definitely not in the "wow" department but neither are they "meh" like mentioned authors. However, as we speak of XX, Serpent Beneath was imo the best Alpha novel followed closely by French's Preatorian of Dorn. For me it is enough that he knows how to write ALyes.gif

I love all the AL stuff it really intrigues me, serpent beneath bent my head. I'd finished reading and had to read it again to get my head round it... Just wish there was more about them tonne honest..

I'm more the reverse myself. Personally, I find Rob Sanders' work to be fairly consistently among the worst of the series. A Deeper Darkness, Cybernetica, The Harrowing, The Honoured, Distant Echoes of Old Night. That said, The Iron Within showed he is capable of something much better, and I'll admit The Serpent Beneath was pretty good (though I don't love it as much as a lot of folks do). So I don't think I'd be bewailing it if he was doing Alpharius' book, but I can't say I'm hoping for it either.

Deeper DArkness bad? It's the only good short in the horrible Mark of Calth anthology. Harrowing was one of the good stories in the another blank 'Sedition Gate' anthology.

Distant Echoes of Old Night has shown you destroyers and DG at last for what they are. Abnett on the other hand already gor all he could in 'Legion'.

I think it's bit unfair to put Sanders in the same bag with Thorpe or Kyme but I have to agree that some of his works are definitely not in the "wow" department but neither are they "meh" like mentioned authors. However, as we speak of XX, Serpent Beneath was imo the best Alpha novel followed closely by French's Preatorian of Dorn. For me it is enough that he knows how to write ALyes.gif

Definitely - it's strange how certain people put Kyme, Thorpe, Clark and company over the French, Wraight and Sanders. I always knew that humanity in general is insane - but this ...

Definitely - it's strange, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, how certain people put Kyme, Thorpe, Clark and company over the French, Wraight and Sanders. I always knew that humanity in general is insane - but this ...

FTFY

Definitely - it's strange, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, how certain people put Kyme, Thorpe, Clark and company over the French, Wraight and Sanders. I always knew that humanity in general is insane - but this ...

FTFY

Truth could be an Okkam razor or simply a dickmsn-wink.gif

Anyway - it would not be Abnett and Kyme and it's good for me

Yeah I don't want to know where he came from and what his favourite breakfast cereal is, I just want to see what other people *think* he is. Then we can form our own interpretation of the man behind the mask.

Archived