hopes, dreams, and fears for sisters in 8th

micahwc

If they were planning on killing Sisters Celestine wouldn't have gotten a plastic kit with side characters.

I don't see any proof of "female Marines" either since these Primaris Marines are just upgrades on the geneseed of the original loyalist legions and not new geneseed that work on the X chromosome....

That said, I'm still awaiting our faction focus to see some love on what may come.

Something as seeming rule ignoring an OP at a glance like the Tau one would be nice *salt salt salt grumble grumble filthy xenos*

Unrelated note. Had a weird dream last night that the sisters faction focus came out and they had a "robed" rule that reduced all non special character sisters shooting by one but let them assault in a turn they'd fired heavy and rapid fire weapons.

The new marines really don't even seem that good in comparison to sisters. They are 2 wound with a little more range and get no special weapons in the squad we've seen. Plus it's probably a super expensive squad of 5 men only. That just seems silly.
I'll just show off with a squad of four heavy flamers and make them crispy.

The new marines really don't even seem that good in comparison to sisters.

As someone who's played long enough to remember save modifiers from the first time around and done his share of methhamer with them, I'll tell you now: Do not underestimate the impact of that quiet -1 save modifier on the bolt rifle profile. That inconspicuous little digit there makes them 50% more likely to slay your sisters with each shot than ordinary marines.

There were designers notes circa the release of third when they first rolled out the AP system. They justified it because they wanted marines to feel like marines, dashing out across open ground to boldly take objectives, not skulking about in cover, desperately avoiding getting chewed up by medium weapons fire. So, the Autocannon, and similar weapons, became AP4 rather than -3 save so that astartes could resist it rather than functionally be defeated by it.

Yeah, I was really excited when I saw that Boltguns were AP0. I had hoped that it meant they were going to use save mods sparingly, but it looks like they decided to give a basic unit a weapon with a save mod standard. :(

I wouldn't be too worried. The numarines are power level 6 with no options for upgrades while a fully kitted tactical squad is pl 5, which to me screams that numarines are going to be way more expensive than a squad of sisters.

I'm sure model per model they'll wreck us, but we'll have way more firepower per army

Hoping seraphim can still deep strike and do it within 8". If the Trygon teaser is to be used as gospel for how deep strike operates; then our inferno pistols and hand flamers will be taking a hit on deep strike...

Depending on the specifics of the turn sequence, there may be a way around it.

Just charge and trust to the emperor's protection to soak the over watch.

We already know that you can blaze away with pistols in close combat, so it seems probable that you can shoot them after charging. We also know that on a failed charge you move anyway, so that's a minimum 2" nudge in the right direction.

The only real risk here is whether or not charging happens in the movement phase before shooting.

Now, it would create some tactical risks and limit the surprise to low overwatch rated units, but balancing risk and reward is a big part of skilled generalship.

I'm not worried about charging. My general rule with sisters is if you're in combat you're doing it wrong. I'm more concerned about my beloved seraphim bomb. Love deep striking 2" from a unit and going to town with a full squad with double hand flamers with shred.

But . . . But . . . Close combat is is much fun! I almost always try and charge something with my seraphim :D and sometimes I do a 20 Sister BSS with 2 priests and Canoness Raedia and throw that into cc . . .

Charging happens in the Charge Phase, which comes after the Shooting Phase if they keep the AoS turn order intact.

I'd forgotten that bit. Such is tactical musing from rumoured rules.

I remember back during the first generation of armoured company lists I built my surprise tactical sucker-punch squad, Storm troopers with helpistol and sword. Attached a tech-priest and mounted them in a chimera during deployment. People'd 'ask what's in the chimera?' I'd say 'storm troopers' and they'd spend the next three turns hammering away at my half-dozen russes while the chimera worked it's way up the sidelines toward what ever tiny unit they'd tucked back there in deep cover to hold the marker when *bam*. Out would leap my Imperial Guard assault team, hose 'em down with flamers and chop 'em to bits in hand to hand for the win.

... and then they revised the codex and the swashbuckling option went away. sad.png

If there was ever a unit I wanted back in my codex it was those guys. Surprise close combat with guardsmen fun.

GW have been heavily hinting towards a proper reboot of the Sister model line, and if the rumours are true (please please please) I think you should get some decent rules to go with the new kits. GW seems to be putting actual care into 8th, and I think they've learned their lessons from AoS.

I think a Sororitas reboot would need to add some completely new stuff for the Sisters to take, in addition to making what already exists better. Some kind of new weapon would be nice- given the Condemner Boltgun, perhaps a big ol' sci-fi arbalest is in order? Celestians definitely need to be more than just "Slightly better Sisters" so they could do with a fundamental rethink. More vehicles would be nice (as well a return of the REPRESSOR).

As far as "toys" go, I'd kinda like to see some kind of new high-mobility walker...thing for the Sisters as a sort of harassment/area denial unit, like a Sentinel +1. Make it quite fast and able to jump over terrain but fairly squishy, with some juicy firepower (TL arm modules that can take heavy bolters, heavy flamers, multimeltas, assault cannons and maybe something else) and perhaps a "martyrdom" rule where if it's destroyed, it has the chance of detonating with spectacular effect as one last laugh at the filthy heretic that laid it low. So...basically D.va's Meka from Overwatch but more Gothic and less pink. A Land Raider variant would be nice too, but I'm not sure what it would be armed with- perhaps give them access to the Prometheus pattern?

My dream unit would be a sisters Terminator equivakent. But armor 3+/5++ armed with a torrent flamer that exploded on death.

Edit: not as a suicide bomb, but because of the exposed tanks. Like if you roll a 1 to save, BOoM!

Also, the more weird stuff the better!

Something like the contemptor's atomantic core that provides its invulnerable save, maybe? It adds one extra inch of range if the dreadnought explodes.

If it's not reserved to space marines by the Emperor's decree, the Ecclesiarchy can certainly throw enough money at the Adeptus Mechanicus to fit some of their angry battle nuns with them.

I'd just be happy if the pengine got back its bonus movement. As it stands right now it's okay for rear guard but just can't keep pace with a frontal assault which is where I believe it's supposed to be. I always enjoyed the extra d6 movement. Good feeling to have a good turn where a couple of em would surge forward 18". Or at least some way to deliver them more reliably to front lines. Sister drop pods would be interesting. I've heard they do exist.

Sniper flamer! Yeah we've all seen that picture. You know you love it.

As I was building sniper sm scouts the other day I thought about how cool sister sniper models would be.

If gw invested in the time to make sister cad files for the plastics there must be more to come. It just seems crazy to me they haven't come out yet though. Sometimes gw seems to want a dead cert early June release then a more risky release a few months later - let's hope that's the release slot.

Still though, I don't actually expect to get new Sisters models. I don't actually believe GW has designed Sisters models already either, since that rumor is like a decade old. If it happens, it could be awesome though! As long as they stick with the current aesthetic of the army.

Archived