Marshal Vulpes and the Justification Crusade

I had an awesome time at the Double Tap event in Cardiff and I took (For the second year running might I add :wink: ) the Best Sport award.

There were around 40-ish people playing in teams of 2. We snapped a picture of my Six Up Save crew posing with the guys who hosted, The Vale Renegades.

gallery_73127_13288_54114.jpg

I placed somewhere around the middle, so we can blame the fact that I was playing with filthy Xenos for my average performance. My teammate and I scored 2 victories, a draw and 2 defeats. With my Best-Sportsman winnings (as well as a handsome trophy) I bought the new Primaris Chaplain and ordered a Finecast Grimaldus.

gallery_73127_13288_13454.jpg

As soon as Grimaldus arrives I'll be kitbashing them together.

I also took a trip to Warhammer World and after chatting to the staff I've planned a way of converting a Primaris Captain into a decent looking Helbrecht. That will have to wait until next payday though.

Most exitingly of all, thanks to my amazing finacee, I've finally got my hands on that beautiful Redemptor Dread. I know I said I wouldnt get it until I've finished painting what I have but... I really wanted it!

It was great fun to build but holy hell is this thing ever big. It towers above all my other dreads!

WIP:

gallery_73127_13288_12411.jpg

All in all it's been a busy couple of weeks for me gaming wise, and with my gaming groups up and coming 8th edition tourney coming up in a few months I've got a lot of work to do.

If any of you guys are from the West Midlands UK and enjoy a friendly-focused Warhammer tourney, drop me a PM for details, we've got some nice prizes for placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd as well as prizes for best painted and best sportsman.

I'm aiming to finish painting the Dread tonight and then get to work on those Hellblasters before Grimaldus arrives.

Edited by Bukimimaru

I've got a big 2,500 point game tonight against a pretty gnarley sounding Ork list.

My Buddy has finally finished building his Ork "Mech themed" army he's been working on for a while and he's dying to try it out, so another friend and I are teaming up with our Space marnines to take them on.

The Ork player is running a completely mechanized list; Killakanz, Mekadreadz, Deffdreads, a Morkanaught, a Gorkanaught, and a Stompa.

It's not an especially powerful or tourney-ready list, but its super fluffy, fun and should look awesome.

Unfortunately, being a Primaris heavy Army, I don't have much in the way of anti-armor,  and as I'm aplitting the army down the middle with my partner, I've only got 1,250 points to try and build something that's going to be able to lay down some decent anti-tank firepower.

The only things I have that might be useful are:

Hellblasters

Redemptor Dread

Landraider (with Lascanons)

Stormraven (Lascanons and Multimelta)

No point bringing the Emperors Champ to this fight as there are not Monsters and not really any characters for him to hunt down.

My team mate is Taking Howling Griffons and will have lots of Plasma Devs backed by the big bad Gulleman himself.

I'll let y'all know what list I settle on and how the game goes.

Edited by Bukimimaru

Hey man! I love how I occasionally bump into people I've met at tournaments on here. XD

The even was so much fun, this was my third even at Firestorm and I cant wait for the next.

I've settled on a list for my game tonight, in fact I've dug out a very old model from my Blood Angle collection to help me out. I think he fits in quite nicely though, even if I never did finish painting him. Can you spot who it could be. ;)

21267870_10154935738378004_271135355_o.j

Sorry if this turns out malicious, but I can't stop myself from commenting on how well the colour scheme of the bottle of Coke blends with your force. You have a ready-to-go drop pod just there!

On a more serious note, despite my ongoing denial of Primaris Marines, I have to say that your force looks imposing and elite. Good luck against the Greenskins!

Sorry if this turns out malicious, but I can't stop myself from commenting on how well the colour scheme of the bottle of Coke blends with your force. You have a ready-to-go drop pod just there!

On a more serious note, despite my ongoing denial of Primaris Marines, I have to say that your force looks imposing and elite. Good luck against the Greenskins!

Hah! Maybe I should rename my Captain Cokeus Pepsius. XD

The game was marvelous fun.

The Stompa (while maybe not quite worth its points cost) puts out soooo much Dakka. It was a customer variant with all the CC stuff taken off, and loaded up with a worrying 10 different weapon profile. :biggrin.:

I took a few pics on my crappy phone camera. Unfortunately the Stompa wasn't painted and was missing an arm, but he had only bought it the weekend before and was so exited to use it. lol

My Knight and Dreads advance on the biggest threat they can see:

21192071_486928028344650_550193824788941

But the Morkanaught (or maybe Gorkanaught?) jumps in the way.

21151557_486927988344654_295536798477724

Supported by the Hellblasters, my Dreads break through the bodyguards:

My Knights Gattling canon puts out a punishing amount of damage, but barely seems to affect the Stompa with it's mighty 40 Wounds

21106709_486928048344648_821873011725672

Gulleman finally get his lazy butt to work and cuts his way through the advancing Deffdreads to set his sights on a bigger prize:

21151640_486928138344639_150513510578704

The Stompa obliterates my Knight and the eruption wipes out a handful of nearby warriors, including 3 Terminators but it does cause 6 wounds to the Stompa as well.
The 2 Librarians rolled amazingly with their powers and caused 9 Mortal wounds with Smite against the Stompa. :biggrin.:

21150328_486928151677971_189905998226543

Gulleman charges, taking the Stompa down to 3 wounds. My contemptor lays the finishing blow and the remaining warriors sit back and enjoy the sight of all that scrap metal.

21232070_486928175011302_999773038221633

As you can see, it was a very close game. By the end of it, I had 2 Hellblasters, my 2 characters and a Dreadnaught with 2 wounds left. My teammate had Gulleman, 3 terminators and a pair of librarians.

It was really fun to play a game against some ridiculously big models and we had a great laugh. My Redemptor dread suffered from "new model syndrome" and died before he did very much, but my contemptor punched way above his weight so I cant complain about my luck.

Edited by Bukimimaru

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry its been so long since I updated, my work computers blocked this site for a while, but we seem to be back up and running now. lol.

First off, my Grimaldus finally arrived from GW so I've made a start making a Primaris scale version so he doesnt look so wimpy next to his comrades.

I managed to use both weapon arms (although I had to swap them at the wrists) as well as the original head and his iconic backpack.

Heres and early WIP:

21369238_10154954737083004_7880860698138

21751527_10154971101328004_4210684193277

While I was waiting for the ink to dry on Grimmy, I started (finally) work on my Hellblasters. 
I picked up one of the cool GW "Heroic Base" kits (mostly for when I start on a Primaris scale Helbricht) so i thought I'd use one of them to make my Hellblaster Sgt stand out a bit more. I'm really happy with the rust effect I got on the Girders. :)

21617759_10154980191568004_2068537747297

Lastly I've got the next round of my FLGS escalation league this weekend.

This is my list:

Captain in Gravis Armour (I want to take my Emperor's Champ in stead but he's just not as useful in this situation)

5x Intercessors

5x Intercessors

5x Hellblasters

1x Contemptor Dread.

The way the army has to be built is very restrictive, adding new units each month. I wont go into the details on what the restrictions are, but suffice to say I'd rather be taking my Redemptor and more Hellblasters. lol.

Thanks for reading guys, I'll be back soon with more updates on Primaris Grumaldus and hopefully some ideas on how I'm going to tackle a primaris Helbriecht.

Edited by Bukimimaru

Sadly the fine cast arms are a smidge shorter than the primaris ones, but not enough to put me off.

Fortunately the primaris one is bent at the elbow so it disguises the size difference quite well. 

Thanks to the compliment, it was very tricky to get the finecast parts removed (specifically the head and Crozius arm) as they are molded onto the model as a solid chunk, so I had to cut them off very carefully.

Nice conversion there. Apart from the obvious congratulations on the quality of the final product, I must say I admire your determination (or vision or bravery). After all, you based your conversion on two already expensive models. I myself always struggle to cut and kit bash 'unique' kits.

Thanks guys. :) Its really nice to get some positive feedback.

I find the Warhammer groups on Facebook to sometimes be a little over critical of work in progress pictures. Lol.

I know what you mean about the expense of the models. I've not done much conversion work before, so it was pretty terrifying carving up two very pricy model kits in the hope that they will look good together. Fortunately it seems to have gone my way. Let's hope Helbreicht reaps the same rewards.

Once I've got this little lot painted and ready, (and Helbriecht has been sorted) I'm hoping to have saved up enough for either some Agressors or maybe even a Repulsor. (I can't say that name without imagining it being piloted by Rita Repulsa from the Power Rangers, lol).

I'm considering more and more just taking my Emperor's Champion to the Escalation league this Sunday rather than the Primaris Captain. He doesn't benefit my small snooty list anywhere near as well as the Captain, but dammit, the Emps Champ is just so cool! I could even take Grimmy, but he doubt he'll be painted in time.

Should I go with the smart choice in the Captain or the stupid but cool choice of the EC?

I've got a League game at the FLGS tonight, my opponent is taking Inquisitors and Custodes; units that I have 0 experience with.

He has also specifically requested that I take a Knight as he hasn't played against on in 8th ed yet.

I don't know much about Custodes apart from they are Elite, low-model multiple wound models that a brutal in combat.

With that being said, here's what I'm taking:

++Battalion++

HQ:

Primaris Captain Vulpes

Emperor's Champion

Troops:

5x Intercessors (Powersword on Sgt)

Elites:

Redemptor Dread (full dakka mode: both assault canons and storm bolters)

Heavy:

9x Hellblasters

++Super Heavy Aux++

Knight Warden (Onslaught Gattler, Melta and Flamer with Thunderglove.)

My plan will be to sit as far back as possible and just batter him with bullets. Hopefully the sheer weight of dice I'll be throwing will weaken him before he can get to me. 
We'll be playing Maelstrom rules, some my intercessors will either be meatshields of objective grabbers, and hopefully he'll be too low on model count to be able to effectivel grab objectives.

If you guys have any experience against Custodes or have any advice in general, I'd apreciate any input you may have. :)

I really like your Grimaldus conversion, that's a great mash up of bits and it is executed well.

Q: This question will mostly be for later, but did you consider taking the LT and opt not to? My reason for asking is that the LT buff is nice and then it might make it easier to get the EC in there. Just curious.

Cheers,

Well that was certainly an eventful weekend.

Firstly my Game on Friday night against those pesky Custards.

Those guys can really, really soak up some serious fire power. it was an extreemly close game, but I managed to pull a victory out of the bag. 

My Captain (now called Rubeus Vulpes) was the hero of the game; we were drawn on victory points and then I pulled the Maelstrom card that awards 3 additional points if it can be paired with another card and scored by my Warlord. My Captain sat on Objective 1, scoring a mighty 4 points and nabbing me the victory.

Also my Emperor's Champion b*itch-slapped 12 wounds into an Ordo Mallius Inquisitor, which was awesome.

22050506_10154994615718004_2107408154_o.

This was just the start of Captain Vulpes' awesome streak as I entered a local tourney and managed to walk away with the first place Trophy.

Here was my list:

22007408_10154992864288004_3873472297991

My First game was against Some Blood Angels and an Imperial Knight, the mission was kill points.

I managed to kill the bulk of his army (2 Tac squads, a Scout Squad, Mephiston and a Vindicare Assassin) but his night was unstoppable. I Basically ignored the Knight and focused down one unit at a time until the Knight was all he had left, then split my army up and ran as far apart as possible to stop him being able to kill multiple units per turn.
He won the game but I scored a decent amount of points and I still had one Marine hiding behind some ruins so he didn't get a "mighty victory" bonus. XD

21764718_10154992864718004_5697061742433

My second game was against Orks.

My opponent had 2x blobs of 25 boys, a Warboss, a Painboy and a Stompa. 

The mission was a complicated business, but I basically got a VP for every unit I killed and every wound I caused to the Stompa.

By the end of the game his stompa had obliterated my Dreadnaught and killed one or two models from each of my units, but causeing any other "full unit" casualties.

I meanwhile killed all the boys, the Warboss, the Painboy and caused 12 wounds to the Stompa, securing my a solid victory and another stash of victory points to bank.

22007917_10154992864453004_5235558846412

Continued below....

Edited by Bukimimaru

Game 3 was against some Imperial Fists and this game was just insanely good fun.

My opponents army:

22050626_10154994664058004_565743305_o.j

My opponent blew up my Dread turn one and massacred 90% of my army by turn two. This sent my Primaris Captain into a whirl of Blood Thirsty rage and he Single-handedly wiped out a bunch of Tactical marines, a Primaris Lieutenant and a Contemptor Mortis Dreadnaught by himself, taking 9 Lascanons to the face without dying AND tabling my opponent.

It was the most heroic and bad ass thing I've ever seen.

22015532_10154994663948004_764872091_o.j

22016446_10154994664003004_714692803_n.j

Game 4 was against a regular opponent of mine who was using a homebrew chapter using Salamander rules.

The Salamanders Chapter tactic is sooo good. :(

I managed a solid victory here, despite the silly amount of free re-rolls the Salamanders get.

Once again, my Dreadnaught bit the dust, but the Primaris captain continued to beat-stick his way through anyone that got too close.

22015585_10154994664308004_368198573_o.j

My last game was against Grey Knights.

I forgot to take any pictures, but thanks to my Hellblasters putting down my opponent Dreadknight real fast and the Dreadnaught slaughtering the rest of her army, I was able to pick up all the objectives over 5 turns and came out with a score of 115 victory points scored in one game. XD

Finally here's a pic of my receiving a spiffy new trophy for my cabinet. :D

21768058_10154992864223004_3759268492716

The Hellblasters are always a wonderful choice and I've never regretted taking them.

The Dreadnaught was fun to take; he's a great centerpiece for the army and he can put out a lot of firepower. Unfortunately only hitting on 4s if he moves really hurts his damage output, so he's never been as "killy" as I'd hoped, but he does a wonderful job as a (relatively)  cheap bullet magnet. He died in all but 1 of the games, but if they were shooting at him they weren't shooting at my Captain or the Hellblasters.

Outside of the tourney, I would always recommend the Emperor's Champion who has almost always punched waaaay above his very low price, as well as the Primaris Ancient who makes your opponent think twice about attacking units nearby.  

The hardest Opponent was probably the Knight for me as I had 0 reliable Anti-tank, I just had to ignore it and take whatever other killpoints i could.

If my Capatin hadn't been such a BAWS then I would have been in serious trouble against the Imperial Fists as well. The Mortis Dread obliterated my Dreadnaught in one swift round of shooting and his Plasma Bikes cut through the rest of my army like a hot knife through butter.

Next time I'll make sure to add in some dedicated Anti-tank and make sure to deal with Plasma-weilding opponents as a priority.

Well, I am a big fan of the Metal gear series. ;)

I've popped my Primaris ancient onto one of the GW Heroic bases and he looks awesome. I'll get a picture ones the paint has dried.

My next big even is the Six Up Save Skirmish on November; 2,000 points, 2 detachment max and no Airwing.

It sounds like its going to be a total cheese fest, most people who I know are going have said they are taking either Magnus, Morty, Gulliman  or full Knight lists.

There's not much a Primaris-centric BT list is going to be able to do against those kind of armies, anyone got any advice?

I'm considering taking a small detachment of Sister allies with Celestine and just play the objectives as best I can.