Marshal Vulpes and the Justification Crusade

I've got a last minute game arranged for tonight, 2,000 points against some Howling Griffons.

We are using the Open War deck to add a bit of randomness into the games, so hopefully the cards will go my way. 

At 2,000 points I don't have many options as I have to take pretty much everything I have so far:

Battalion Detachment:

HQ: Gravis Captain Vulpes

HQ: Grimaldus

HQ: The Emperors Champion

Troops: 5x Intercessors with a grenade pump and a powersword 

Elites: Contemptor Dread with Melta

Elites: Redemptor Dread with all the dakka

Elites: Primaris Ancient (with the relic banner)

Elites: 3x Cenobite Servitors 

Fast: 5x Intercessors with assault bolters

Heavy: 5x Hellblasters

Heavy: 5 Hellblasters

Flyer: Stormraven with assault canons, multimelta and hurricane bolters.

I think this will probably be the biggest game I've played with my Templars and its the first time I've had to take Grimaldus. 

Hopefully I'll remember to take some pics. 

Wish me luck y'all. 

So I had some transport issues last night so i had to drop Grimaldus and the Storm Raven and replace them with the much easier to pack Imperial Knight.

My opponent pulled a switcheroo on me and decided to play with his Chaos marines instead of his Battonburg cake Howling Griffon Marines.

His list looked something like this:

HQ: Deamon Prince of Nurgle

HQ: Chaos Lord in Termy Armour

Troops: 30x Plague Bearers

Troops: 30x Plague Bearers

Troops: 5x Chaos marines with a plasma and a fist

Elites: 5x Chosen with Plasma in a Rhino

Elites: 5x Chosen with Plasma in a Rhino

Elites: 5x Chosen with Melta

Heavy: 3x Obliterators

Heavy: 3x Obliterators

Heavy: 5x Havoks with Lascanons

We decided to use the Open War cards which are hilarious fun. Not much good for competitive or balanced games, but certainly good fun for a throw down.

I had to deploy my entire army in a 24" bubble in the centre of the board and he got to deply among any of the table edges.

22290772_10155014720968004_1304388494_o.

He deployed most of his army spread across the back table edge...

22279038_10155014720938004_512825754_o.j

But put his Lascanon Devs all the way across the other side of the board. 

This was a sneaky move as I either had to ignore them (which meant certain death my my Dreadnaughts or the Knight) or break my defensive position and send some of my units all the way across the board to deal with just one enemy unit and then be stuck out of action for the rest of the game.

22243566_10155014721008004_1712986580_o.

22251028_10155015089483004_1142329263_o.

My Knight's stompy feet and gattling canon made short work of one of the big blobs of Deamons...

22218157_10155015089508004_1402648177_o.

But the other blobs was spread out and made an insane amount of "Disgustingly resilient" rolls. They just would not die! >:(

22279037_10155015090388004_149666712_o.j

On turn 4 my Knight died and the Deamon Prince managed to out-punch my Captain, but in return I Hell-blastered the Deamon prince into a pile of gooey mush and stole his objective with my Inceptors, winning the game 3-2. For the Emperor!

22237298_10155015090678004_901899980_n.j

Edited by Bukimimaru

I have to say, I am VERY impressed with the work you did on your force. You may have just closed the deal for me actually giving Hellblasters a try, and I'm most definitely picking up the Redemptor as well.

You're doing very well in all your batreps. Keep it up!

Thanks Brother Ryan. :)

I've been really slacking on my painting duties these last 2 weeks, but my fiancee is getting a few boxes of Harlequins Filthy Xenos this weekend so We'll probably spend Sunday chilling out and painting together.

I've got Helbriecht coming, but I've not ordered the Primaris Captain to use as the base yet. 

I think these two will mash together quite well:

99120101179_PrimarisCaptain01.jpg99800101005_HelbrechtNEW_01.jpg

I'll be using Helbriecht's head, Backpack and sword, added to the main body of the Primaris Captain. Add some BT shoulderpads and gubbins and swap out the botrifle with a combi-melta.

Hey guys, managed to get another game in this weekend.

My List:

22365183_10155026597813004_1994990017037

My Opponents list:

22308629_10155026597873004_7896456663410

I forgot to pack my objective cards, so we played a straight up killpoints game.

We rolled for deployment and then set up edge to edge.

My opponent took the first turn and just ran everything straight at me. The lascanon dev squad stripped 12 wounds off my Knight straight away! :sad.:

22279708_10155026598803004_6173467394620

And all the Terminators made the mistake off deep striking right in front of my Hellblasters. Mwahahaha!

22405642_10155026598713004_2396013751527

In my turn I brought my Interceptors in and killed a chunk of the Dev squad.

My Hellblasters made short work out of the Terminators.

22365621_10155026598613004_6973767341913

I think I've already said this a few pages back, but in my opinion the Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnaught with the Axe and Stormshied is absolute Bullspit. 

It's INSANELY good for it price, it's almost impossible  to kill (3++ and then a 5+ FNP) and it reliably deals more damage in combat than a Knight!

5 attacks, hitting on 2's, S10 with -3 rend and 6 damage a hit! That's just silly!

It charged and punked my Contemptor dread in on go... not that I'm salty or anything. :wink:

22310617_10155026598538004_2606309389271

The combined efforts of my Knight and my Redemptor finally manage to put down his Venerable dread once and for all, and my remaning Hellblasters send his Thunderwolves fleeing with their tails between their legs. It's looking good for the Templars.

22365201_10155026598408004_4326407743293

Njaal, a Runepriest and two lonley Bloodclaws do their best to cut down the Templar's Warlord but its too little, too late, and Captain Vulpus take a taunting step backwards out of combat, and lets the Hellblasters do what needs to be done:

22308909_10155026598218004_9163592329528

Another win for the Templars! :biggrin.:

This is all I had left at the end though:

The Knight was down to very few wounds, the Redemptor was also badly damaged. My Emperors Champion had been murdered by Njaal's heretical magical nonsense and more than half of my Hellblasters were six feet under.

22308608_10155026597928004_2473625908273

I really enjoyed this game, and despite my opponent friggin' Venerable Dread soaking up more firepower than anyone should reasonable expect, I think the fact we were playing Killpoints leaned the game in my favor. I was able to castle up and let him come to me whilst bombarding his expensive units with  streams of holy Plasma. Despite the game type being more in my favor, it was still a very close game, and if he had managed to make a few low-rolling charges, it could easily have gone the other way.

Most importantly, my opponent and I had a great laugh and had a great afternoon.

Edited by Bukimimaru

I've got another League game tonight against one of my groups Ork Players.

I'm currently top of the league with 3W 0D 0L, but I don't want to get cocky as there's still another 7 or so people I've got to play. 

Fortunately for me, my opponent doesn't usually take hoards, which I would struggle against, he prefers to take small groups of boys in Trukks, a Battlewagon and plently of Bikes.

This suits me fine as my Hellblasters should be able to make short work out of bikes and my Emperor's Champion has been itching to get into a fight with a Warboss. ;)

My List:

HQ: Gravis Captain Vulpes

HQ: Emperors Champ

Troops: 5x Intercessors with a Powersword on the Sgt. 

Elite: Contemptor with melta

Elite: Primaris Ancient with the relic banner

Elite: Redemptor dread with all the dakka

Fast: 3x Inceptor with assault bolters

I've not got much other than the dreads to deal with his transports, so I probably wont be able to stop him getting the majority of the charges.

I'll be making sure my important dudes are shielded by my small throw-away troops units and then pull off a glorious counter-charge / lay down some Gattling or plasma fire.

How have you guys been dealing with those Butal n' cunnin' orks?

Depends on what his list looks like, i ran into one ork so far in 8th and he brutalized me with three large mobs of boys supporteed by a bunch of characters (weirdboy, mek, ghazkull if memory serves) plus some support toys. Those buffs were disgusting and konga lining allowed him to keep the characters out of reach. As you said your opponent is likely to bring smaller squads, I'd assume you're in for a different cup of tea though :P

Back to your post #104 and proposed Helbretch conversion. I would expect the small head to look out of place on the upscaled Primaris body - pity, 'cos Helbretch's sword is a big weakpoint on the standard model.

But primaris marines have same size head as standard marines

Psykic_scribe, on 14 Oct 2017 - 9:00 PM, said:

Back to your post #104 and proposed Helbretch conversion. I would expect the small head to look out of place on the upscaled Primaris body - pity, 'cos Helbretch's sword is a big weakpoint on the standard model.

But primaris marines have same size head as standard marines

The difference is that Helbretch has not had dealings with Belisariuos Cawl to boost his body structure.  Watching and waiting with interest to see how he turns out.  

Back to your post #104 and proposed Helbretch conversion.  I would expect the small head to look out of place on the upscaled Primaris body - pity, 'cos Helbretch's sword is a big weakpoint on the standard model.

I've used the standard heads on a lot of my Primaris marines with no issues so far. 

Even my converted Grimaldus uses the finecast Grimaldus head on the Primaris Chaplains body and it doesn't look noticeably different.

We'll see when I get the models together, if it looks too weird I'll find a work around. :)

The difference is that Helbretch has not had dealings with Belisariuos Cawl to boost his body structure.  Watching and waiting with interest to see how he turns out.  

I'm not too worried about the fluff aspect, I'll still be running him with normal Helbriecht rules, I just don't want him to look super wimpy surrounded by bigger, beefier marines. :D

I got my butt-kicked by the Orks. :sad.:

I deployed castled up as per the plan in my above post. This works really well for the most part, I think I would have been beaten much faster if I had tried to spread out more. The Orks were much more mobile than me and Hellblasters will only go so far against that many vehicles.

22540065_10155049946103004_2958172039428

This was his deployment (across 2 pics). Each of the 3 Trukks had 19 boys and Nob (or whatever the transport capacity is.) The Battlewagon was full of boys and a Warboss.

22539955_10155049946318004_9010135373972

22528454_10155049946403004_1765193622722

I failed to seize the initative and turn one he just ran everything at me. Aside from the Dakka-Jet wiping out an entire Intercessor squad, not much damaged caused, but everything was up in my face.

On my turn one I killed all the bikers except the Painboy and ruined one of the Trukks.

22540204_10155049946718004_3185362103678

Turn 2 things get pretty nasty for the Templars. I've split my squads too far apart so the Captain and Ancients buffs arn't as effective. My saves are terrible and even the Orks shooting is causing me serious problems. I kill off a lot of the troops and My Emperors Champ cuts down his Painboy (woot!) but the Battlewagon's seriously nasty Deathroller is rolling Death over everything it charges and the Dakka-Jet is killing stuff in droves.

22519256_10155049946838004_6881292645782

By the end of the game all my opponent has left is the Dakka-Jet (at full health) one Trukk (with a Single Hullpoint left) and his half-strength Warboss.

All I have left is a single Intercessor Sgt down to a single wound. I lost by killpoints, but it was a great fun game and taught me a valuable lesson about sticking to a game plan and not getting split up when I rely so much on AoE buffs.

In happier news I'm finally finished my Primaris Scale Grimaldus!

22519302_10155045236238004_5724710322575

I'm really happy with the way he came out, the finecast parts blend really well with the plastic and the Heroic base really finishes him off. 

Now for the Servitors...

Edited by Bukimimaru

Your Grimaldus looks ace, nice work!

Shame about the recent match, but sounds like you already spotted questionable choices in your tactics and learnt from them.

I suspect things would have been very different if you only had a solid answer to that jet! Air units with free-rein have always been pretty nasty for an infantry-heavy army. I assume that continues to be true in this edition!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. :)

I spent the weekend in London and managed to pick up a Culuxus Assassin. 

Finally I won't have to rely on Greyfax to nuke enemy psychers.

Am I right in thinking that Culuxus Assassins arnt psychers themselves, just soul-less null zone type humans?

If that's the case, my Templars shouldn't have a problems working alongside one, would they? 

Congratulations for your Grimaldus !

Your opponent got eventually lucky dices throws, because a Dakkajet don't do that much damages usually (or I am very unlucky with mine :rolleyes: ). 

Things might have been different with a DakkaRepulsor :wink: . 

Yes culexus aren't psykers but they will ruin enemy psykers'life. 

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I'm revisiting this project now that we have more Primaris stuff on the way.

I ended up painting and completing everything I wanted for my initial 2,000 point army and enjoyed it for a while.

However I took the army to my last 3 tournaments and only won 1 game out of 12. :ohmy.:

Now don't get me wrong, it was never built to be especially competitive or powerful, but it got to a point where I was being wiped off the table without killing a single unit, so I eventually lost interest and moved on to other things. I'm not talking top-tier competitive tournies either, these have been local, fun and mostly narrative affairs.

Now that we have some more Primaris stuff on the way, i thought it was about time I revisited my All Primaris themed Templars to see what I can add to at least give my opponents a fun match before they destroy me. :wink:

Here's what I have so far:

1x Captain in Gravis Armour

1x Grimaldus

1x Emperors Champion

1x Primaris Ancient

1x Vindicare Assassin

1x Culusus Assassin

5x Intercessors

5x Intercessors

5x Intercessors

10x Hellblasters

5x Inceptor with assault bolters

1x Redemptor (all dakka)

1x Repulsor

1x Contemptor with melta and powerfist

1x Fire Raptor

So, obvious problems with the list off the bat: 

1. Grimaldus is absolutely wasted, there are no primaris options that *want* to be in combat with anything substantial, so his buffs are useless.

2. The Fire Raptor (although very good)  is an insane point sink since the FAQ. A cool model with cool rules that's prohibitively expensive.

3. Lack of cheap infantry - This list has 3 min sizes squads of intercessors that get blown off the board immediately, every single game. 

4. Lack of Anti-tank - aside from one melta on a dread and the las-canons on the Repulsor (which can never seem to hit anything) I don't have any way of dealing with heavy armour.

5. No combat units - Primaris have absolutely 0 combat effective units at all. Even Reivers who get a reasonable amount of attacks are still low str and no ap.

What do i need to do to stick with an all Primaris theme but still be able to at least last a few rounds against a well constructed army. 

I don't want to abandon the fluff and theme of my army, but I at least want to be able to have a fun game where I get to cause a little destruction.

I don't know much about the new Primaris stuff that's on the way, the sniper dudes look really cool and I like the idea behind the flying auto-canon bois, is there anything I can take that might give me the punch I'm missing?

Thoughts?

Edited by Bukimimaru

• 1 month later...

I picked up some reinforcements yesterday from my FLGS.

1x Invictor Tactical Warsuit - I built this bad boy with the big flame canon because it looks so cool.

3x Agressors - Built with the flamers as I think the bolter varients can be considered "not very friendly". These boys will be travelling in the Repulsor.

10x Reiver Squad - I'm hoping that these guys will fill the close combat hole in my army. They arn't great, but they are currently the best things the Primaris have for a stabby unit.

1x Apothocary - I only picked one up because I don't have one yet, but I dont have a particular use in mind for him yet.

1x Phobo Captain - Like the warsuit, I picked him up because he looks bad-ass. I've kitbashed him up a bit and given him the Primaric Chaplain head.

1x Primaris Lieutenant - everyone needs at least one, right? :wink:

3x Inceptors (?) - The chonky jump-pack guys with the plasma guns. I figured my army needed a little more speed as it's currently very static.

Once the new kits get released over the next few weeks I'll probably pick up 10 of the Phobos-armour troop guys and some of the snipers too. :smile.:

69396069_10156559382768004_2728151522633

Edited by Bukimimaru

So I've got my first game in months planned for tonight.

I know this list isnt exactly optimal, but I'm trying to use all the new stuff I picked up the other week, just to get a feel for the way the new units play.

Here's what I've got:

1,500 points of Battleforged Battalion.

Phobos Captain (Marksman's Honour WLT)

Grimaldus

Emperor's Champion

5x Intercessor, Stalker Pattern Bolt Rifle, powersword on Sgt.

5x Intercessor,  Bolt Rifle, powersword on Sgt.

5x Intercessor,  Bolt Rifle, powersword on Sgt.

3x Flamestorm Agressors

3x Cenobite Servitors

1x Invictor Tacticle Warsuit, Incendium Canon.

1x Redemptor Dread, full dakka.

10x Reiver Squad, pistols / knives, grav chutes

3x Plasma Inceptors

6x Hellblasters

I'm not sure about relics yet, tbh I'm still reading through the codex to get a feel for all the options.

The plan is to sit the Captain, the 5 stalker-intercessors and the Hellblasters on a backfield objective to pot-shot bad guys from across the board.

On the other flank of the backfield I'll have my other intercessors and the Dradnaught. They can move into any back/mid field role as required.

Midfield I'll have my Agressors accompanied by Grimaldus. I know this sounds like a weird combo, but I really want to try out Grimey, but there's no one else who is any use at all in combat and his Litanies can still be really effective with their gauntlets. 

Then I've got my Deepstriking guys; the babycarrier and the Reivers to harrass enemy troops / scoring units and the Inceptors to drop in and fry the biggest scariest looking thing on the board.

My opponent will be playing Black Legion, probably using thei new toys and he will definitly have Abbadon, so Emperor only know what I'll be able to do against that, but I guess we'll jsut see how it goes.

Anyone got any advice / tips / help for using the new units or advice on how to deal with Abbadon?

Holy cow, Abaddon is an absolute monster.

In my game last night he killed 10 intercessors, a Phobos Captain, 6 Hellblasters and my Emperors Champion in one game turn. T_T

The game was an absolute blast, and the Templars managed a solid victory with 13 points to 7. It was much closer than it sounds, I only had 7 Reivers left compared to his 4 terminators and a Terminator Sorcerer. 

The Hellblasters were (as usual) my MVPs stripping all but one wound off Abaddon who was finally finished off by a plucky Invictor Warsuit.

The Bolter Discipline and the Combat Doctrines really do make a huge difference to the game, but it can be tricky at first to remember which gung and profiles get which buffs on which turns. :s

I like the Reivers as board control units, but they really don't put out much damage in shooting or combat (no rend really hampers them), so I'll try and run them as two 5 man units next time just to harrass my opponents backfield objectives.

The Invictor warsuit was cool, it didn't do anything especially amazing, but it served its role well by toasting a midfield cultist unit and stealing their objective before peppering and eventually killing Abaddon. 

I was surprised by how little damage the Plasma Inceptors actually put out, but their speed and resilience in cover made them very useful. I actually sacrificed them at the end of the game, on turn 7 I overcharged their guns and rolls about 5 1's, wiping out the whole unit, but also killing a squad of Terminators in the process. Worth it for an end game objective grabbing gambit.

Grimaldus was straight up garbage. His litanies only went off twice all game, combined with his seriously lackluster combat and shooting abilities and horrible survivability, I probably wont be using him again anytime soon. :sad.:

Finally the Agressors did'nt get much of a chance to shine. A majority of my opponents army was in terminator armour, so they didn't have many opportunities to wreak havok, but like the Inceptors, they parked their Gravis Armoured butts on an objective and my opponent found it very difficult to shift them.

All in all I'm really enjoying what the new Codex rules bring to the table, and I cant wait to get a bit more practise with the new units. 

I've got a tourney in a month so I need to pack some games in. XD

Heres a few pics of my game from last night:

69469330_10156578866373004_1901963805324

69454056_10156578866518004_1307678702519

70027399_10156578866743004_8277421072052

Edited by Bukimimaru

• 4 weeks later...