8th Edition Ultramarine Tactica and Unit discussion.

Ishagu

How are you running the cataphractii?

Eversor sounds fun but I've seen the advantages that sniper teams can give you for crushing aura armies, so Im Inclined to keep a Sniper assassin myself. But back on Termies I just don't know what to with them that doesn't leave me feeling like the points were better spent elsewhere.

I am super torn between the eversore and vindicare for my 2nd assassin. I'll be playing a lot of 1k sons so I'm definitely getting a cullexus.

For the cataphractii I'm now thinking bolters and fists, maybe a flamer, and dropping them in on enemy backfield objectives along with the eversore. Maybe turn 2 so there's some space to land them.

Only problem with the Flamer is you'll be unable to use it when you deepstrike, so I think it's better to save the points and stick to Bolters, with a combination of Fists and Chainfists.

Only problem with the Flamer is you'll be unable to use it when you deepstrike, so I think it's better to save the points and stick to Bolters, with a combination of Fists and Chainfists.

Ya, i was thinking the flamer might help objective holding, but combi-bolters in rapid fire range are going to be nearly as good.

I think scouts with sniper rifles are really necessary to kill characters or at least to have a viable threat. Did you notice that they have a higher power level in the index than their tactical counterparts? ;)

Scouts and Telion are a great combo. Hitting on +1 and getting an extra bonus in cover is great. I'll run him in my next game :-)

Btw, what do people think of the Chaplain Dread? I think he could make a good, counter charge hq.

With the scouts i was thinking i'd stick 1 of the two primaris lieutenants with them to help with their S4 shots via to-wound rerolls.  I'm thinking this for my battalion detachment, based on the starter box and upcoming releases.

Gravis Captain

2 Lieutenants 

2x Intercessors

1x Scout Snipers

Eversore

Cataphractii Terminators with Bolter/Fists

Primaris Ancient

Inceptors

Hellblasters

Thats 71 power / 1394 pts leaving me 600pts for the new dread and repulsor.  I'm thinking making a ranged murder ball with:

• Repulsor
  • Hellblasters
  • Captain
  • Lieutenant A
  • Ancient

That would buff the units with rerolling 1s to hit and to wound, plus getting off a extra shot after dieing half the time on the hellblasters.

The eversore and cataphractii would be dropping onto enemy controlled objectives to serve as disruption and maybe even holding for a turn or two after clearing it.  20 shots from the combi bolters to soften up a unit before the eversore charges in, seems pretty good and fun.

The other lieutenant would roll with the scout squad to work on enemy characters and the intercessors would go after close objectives being supportered by the dreadnaught(s) depending on how the rules for them shake out.

He's a character, 9 wounds so can't be targeted. Ignores damage on a 6.

Units in the same combat as him re roll all to hit rolls.

Has a few other rules I forget, but he can take a variety of weapons :-)

That sounds good.

I'm ordering the FW book next week. Looking forward to see what FW has in store. :)

I think scouts with sniper rifles are really necessary to kill characters or at least to have a viable threat. Did you notice that they have a higher power level in the index than their tactical counterparts? :wink:

I've tried 5 snipers + Tellion in 3 games. Results are a bit volatile - one game I've killed Yvraive and other two didn't do much. I beleive I should  go for 10 scouts + Tellion for better results.

What about a deredeo dred with the twin autocannons and missile rack?

For some reason it's calling my name...

I discussed it a page or so back. It's a fantastic unit and it's priced very competitively.

A few takeaways from a game I had recently (power level 50 against Orks).

MSU Tacticals with combi-plasmas and plasma guns did extremely well when encompassed by Calgar's reroll bubble. Supercharging wasn't scary. It's not Tau or Eldar but it's a decent gunline.

Twin lascannon Razorbacks are pretty good, especially with those rerolls as well. If I run full size Tacticals, I may give them lascannons as heavy weapons. That does not give you much versatility against hordes though.

Need to include Primaris Lieutenants in future games for to-wound rerolls.

Well have a tournament coming up this weekend and I decided to just go with Primaris Marines + Guilliman + a Vindicare. Only doing 1000 pts. I'm excited to see how they all perform!

Roster for those interested:

+++ UM 1000 (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [54 PL, 977pts] +++

++ Auxiliary Support Detachment -1CP (Imperium - Officio Assassinorum) ++

+ Elites +

Vindicare Assassin

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad: 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad: 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad
. Hellblaster: Plasma incinerator
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma incinerator

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ Lord of War +

Roboute Guilliman

Created with BattleScribe

I am aware that using Guilliman in such a small point game (he's over a 1/3 of the army!) probably isn't a good idea but I don't care, I wanna use him :smile.:

Edited by ronin_cse

The thing is, Guilliman is a force multiplier.

There isn't enough of a force there for him to multiply!

You should really take Calgar instead as he's still great but also fills the compulsory HQ slot.

I agree with Ishagu. I see Calgar as literally mini-Guilliman. He's no slouch and frees up the HQ on top of Guilliman's points giving you some points for cheap units like... missile devs or similar.

I don't blame you for wanting to try him though. Personally I'm stil not using hi as I try to come to grips with as many low level units as possible.

I'm telling you guys I love Tigurius again in this edition. I thought on paper that Ahriman was better but he's not. I've only ever had 1 perils with Tigurius thus far.(this includes command rerolls). I've almost killed my own Ahriman several times already. You just can't beat that re roll.

Do not underestimate UM psychic powers. Veil of Time and Might of Heroes have the potential to turn a melee combat in your favour against a superior foe. Very strong powers, indeed. On paper, they are among the better in the SM faction, competing with SW for top slots.