8th Ed BA Tactica.

Morticon

HOWEVER, what I do see as a potential is for cover fire. Bear with me on this one. You have 6" additional range versus a boltgun. I would instead use them to cover the advance of your tacticals and jump troops.

Why not just use scouts with snipers for that? More guns, the character snipe option . plus for objectives they are +5 models more then the chad marines. Without a huge increase of point cost.

This.

ALSO HAVE I MISSED THIS....

melee specific armies, I feel almost have to have Corbulo.

especially against the enormous blobs of Necrons that don't go away. having the entire unit gain +1 attack for each 6 to hit rolled by a model really Piles on damage.

I went to read the rule and it says "each time you make a to hit roll of 6+ with a BA unit within 6" of Corbulo, that unit may immediately make another close combat attack with the same weapons."

So if I rolled 5 6+'s to hit when I was near Corbulo, that entire unit would get 5 extra attacks?!?!

That is Bonkers and I LOVE IT.

well technically it's any model with that weapom, so if you have a 5 man squad of VVs all with T/H SS, then each 6 gives the entire unit +1 attack if it's DC and you only have 1 T/H then only he gains the attacks for each 6 he rolls.

That's my interpretation at least. However, with ASM and chain swords...here comes the boom...

What about a...

Wait for it...

Bolter and chainsword?

8)

I mean, it's a legal loudout now...!

True Grit DC forever.

Space Marine references forever-er.

I know I'll be looking to strap chainswords to the back of each of my bolter DC.

HOWEVER, what I do see as a potential is for cover fire. Bear with me on this one. You have 6" additional range versus a boltgun. I would instead use them to cover the advance of your tacticals and jump troops.

Why not just use scouts with snipers for that? More guns, the character snipe option . plus for objectives they are +5 models more then the chad marines. Without a huge increase of point cost.

Sure, I guess. It's your army, do what you want :tongue.:. I was just giving an example on how to possibly use them, not how to replace them. The argument circle would make you dizzy if you keep going into "why use this when you can have this".

With that said, I bought my first scout marines in over 10 years when I picked up my dark imperium box. Previously I only had 2 sniper scout so buying a full squad of 5 will help with upping my ranged game. Plus it gets me to an even 20 scouts.:laugh.:

Edited by Spagunk

ALSO HAVE I MISSED THIS....

melee specific armies, I feel almost have to have Corbulo.

especially against the enormous blobs of Necrons that don't go away. having the entire unit gain +1 attack for each 6 to hit rolled by a model really Piles on damage.

I went to read the rule and it says "each time you make a to hit roll of 6+ with a BA unit within 6" of Corbulo, that unit may immediately make another close combat attack with the same weapons."

So if I rolled 5 6+'s to hit when I was near Corbulo, that entire unit would get 5 extra attacks?!?!

Sadly not. We've been over this. That would be an insanely broken buff for 15 points over a standard priest.

If you got 5 6's, that unit would get 5 extra attacks with the same weapons - NOT 5 per model IN the unit, or it would say so - just 5 total for the unit as a whole. Note modifiers also apply to that, so thunderhammers with their -1 can't get 6's without a +1 to hit buff, and thus usually can't cause or benefit from corbulo's rule.

Thoridon summed it up best:

Aye, that's how I read it too.

"Each time you make a hit roll of 6+ in the Fight phase" = Every roll of 6+ triggers it, so it can be triggered multiple times in the same fight.

"for a BA unit within 6" of Corbulo" = Just 1 model in the unit has to be in range to grant it to the whole unit.

"that unit may immediately make another close combat attack using the same weapons" = You make 1 extra attack per trigger (not per model), using the same weapon that activated the trigger.

So if you have 5 with chainswords, and 2 of the chainsword hit rolls were 6+, you generate 2 extra chainsword attacks as each trigger generates 1 attack.

If you have 3 power swords, and 1 of the power sword hit rolls was 6+, you generate 1 extra power sword attack.

To me the key words are each time (allows multiple triggering), attack (to designate 1 attack per trigger) and weapons (to make clear it's only hit rolls from that weapon type). The plural usage of weapons reinforces the fact that it can be triggered multiple times if you roll more than 1 6+ during the same fight, and that different weapons in the same unit trigger it separately.

If they hadn't added the bit about weapons you could've had chainswords generating extra attacks for hammers. This wording prevents that, and keeps weapon types separate for triggering purposes in mixed weapon units.

Edited by Arkhanist

Reece from FLG commented that this isn't the intentiom, but it is RAW for now.

I'm going to play it, models with x weapon that rolls 6s get +1 additional attacks for models in the unit with said weapons.

But I'm okay playing it as only the model that rolls a 6+ gains the attack.

Reece from FLG commented that this isn't the intentiom, but it is RAW for now.

I'm going to play it, models with x weapon that rolls 6s get +1 additional attacks for models in the unit with said weapons.

But I'm okay playing it as only the model that rolls a 6+ gains the attack.

Its very not the RAW at the moment- as discussed previously.  

For each 6+ to hit, the unit gains an extra attack.

For example an ASM unit with 8 chainswords and a sergeant with power fist rolls 4 6s with chainswords and 1 with power fist. Ere go, they make 4 extra attacks with chainswords and 1 with the power fist, as a unit. Not 4 extra attacks per model but as a total.

Am I reading this wrong?

Edited by vahouth

So if I rolled 5 6+'s to hit when I was near Corbulo, that entire unit would get 5 extra attacks?!?!

That is Bonkers and I LOVE IT.

For each 6+ to hit, the unit gains an extra attack.

For example an ASM unit with 8 chainswords and a sergeant with power fist rolls 4 6s with chainswords and 1 with power fist. Ere go, they make 4 extra attacks with chainswords and 1 with the power fist, as a unit. Not 4 extra attacks per model but as a total.

Am I reading this wrong?

I think you are correct, valhouth.

Hello All - Corbulo's rules a side - Let's get back in talking tactics.  I suffered my first defeate of 8th last night, but, that's ok, I am still elarning and my opponaent has played multiple games.  One unit i noticed that really shined for it's price was a predator with an auto cannon and side lascannon sponsons.  One turn, I did 12 damage with the auto cannon.  Pretty darn respectable.

Oh, and I think for now on, I will place my deep strike units on the board (most times) on turn 1 and probably in cover of some sort.  My opponent was able to spread out and it successfully blocked a lot of good areas for me to drop in.  Much as a post above states, I think the appeal of hitting that 9 inch charge out of the gate can leave us feeling a bit lack luster when it doesn't work.   My friend played Tau so failing a charge even after rerolls left me highly exposed.  and literally 30 points of DC did nothing.  Lessons learned I guess.

Hello All - Corbulo's rules a side - Let's get back in talking tactics.  I suffered my first defeate of 8th last night, but, that's ok, I am still elarning and my opponaent has played multiple games.  One unit i noticed that really shined for it's price was a predator with an auto cannon and side lascannon sponsons.  One turn, I did 12 damage with the auto cannon.  Pretty darn respectable.

Oh, and I think for now on, I will place my deep strike units on the board (most times) on turn 1 and probably in cover of some sort.  My opponent was able to spread out and it successfully blocked a lot of good areas for me to drop in.  Much as a post above states, I think the appeal of hitting that 9 inch charge out of the gate can leave us feeling a bit lack luster when it doesn't work.   My friend played Tau so failing a charge even after rerolls left me highly exposed.  and literally 30 points of DC did nothing.  Lessons learned I guess.

Other than a couple cheap squads in reserve I am thinking put the jump troops on the table also.

Getting shot then overwatched with tricked out units is suboptimal.

Getting the charge off with only part of the force on arrival leads to more chaos than it is worth in my opinion currently.

I am leaning towards being in and behind land raider at this time. I like stormravens alot on paper but land raiders more for LOS reasons. Dread delivery does appeal tho.

Move the land raider up and enjoy the bunker. 3 inch deploy and 12 inch move then charge makes quite the threat bubble.

I am looking at small jump command squads with special weapons behind advancing Baal Pred with FlameStorm Cannon also.

BA players, for countless millenia: "Please pleeeease jeedub, give us first turn assault and assault from DS!!"

GW during the development of DS assault rules for 8th: "MMWWwaaaahahahaah haha hahahahahaha hahahahahaaaalrighty then!"

Sorry, but that's just how it feels to me. It's like, "Here, let us poke you in the eye to take your mind off that toothache." Barstewards. 

Anyone looked at the chapter champions? A slew of weapons are on the table now with ours also having the option of jump packs. I'm feeling one with jump packs and a relic blade lurking around with my cc units could be fun

We're limited to the much more boring company champion, sadly.

Chapter Champion isn't on our list :(

Another option is to consider your turn 1 DS a kind of deployment. You can place some JPA units in reserves and place them fully within terrain to get +1 save.

For instance bolter and chainsword DC can do this well. Land in cover and in bolter range. It´s no worse than starting on the table. Next turn you get a full 12" move, fire bolters (rapidfire if possible after movement) and then assault.

Tactical terminators with stormbolters and assault cannon or CML can do the same; land somewhere in cover, open fire, enjoy the +1 to saves and then adapt next turn to whatever the battle demands of your men, be it abandoning cover to engage in melee or keep shooting. :-)

It´s no worse than starting on the table

trust me it is. if you play vs an army with melee stuff, your risking losing the deep striking DC, and unlike lets say terminators your not pumping 4 shots per each dude. Very risky even against shoty armies.