8th Ed BA Tactica.

Morticon

So I'm officially ready to declare the Vindicator dead in 8th Edition. Totally trumped by a Predator with Lascannon Sponsons and a Predator Autocannon. Comfortably sits at 48" away dropping 2d3 shots at S7 AP-1 D 3. Plus, you get 2 Lascannons at S9 AP-3 D D6 shots. Contrast that with a tank that needs to be within 24" d3 shots at S10 AP-3 D D6. Pred is only 40 more points. Who in their right mind would take a Vindicator now?

Well, the demolisher cannon is d6 shots against units with 5+ models.  That d6 damage could be nice for units with 3+ wounds like TWC.  That's with optimum rolls that is...  Or maybe against something like a Tervigon that has T8 and 15+ wounds.  Just brainstorming, but I see what you mean.  The predator is so versatile in 8th so far.

Certainly a good point, but 3 damage on the Pred Autocannon is super consistent. The thing I see as a major problem with the Vindicator is it needs to move around more to get into 24" range which is -1 to hit. Plus, it's easy to lock up in melee. It'll definitely have a use occasionally like you mentioned, but I think over the course of the game that Predator will be far more useful.

So I'm officially ready to declare the Vindicator dead in 8th Edition. Totally trumped by a Predator with Lascannon Sponsons and a Predator Autocannon. Comfortably sits at 48" away dropping 2d3 shots at S7 AP-1 D 3. Plus, you get 2 Lascannons at S9 AP-3 D D6 shots. Contrast that with a tank that needs to be within 24" d3 shots at S10 AP-3 D D6. Pred is only 40 more points. Who in their right mind would take a Vindicator now?

Well, the demolisher cannon is d6 shots against units with 5+ models.  That d6 damage could be nice for units with 3+ wounds like TWC.  That's with optimum rolls that is...  Or maybe against something like a Tervigon that has T8 and 15+ wounds.  Just brainstorming, but I see what you mean.  The predator is so versatile in 8th so far.

Certainly a good point, but 3 damage on the Pred Autocannon is super consistent. The thing I see as a major problem with the Vindicator is it needs to move around more to get into 24" range which is -1 to hit. Plus, it's easy to lock up in melee. It'll definitely have a use occasionally like you mentioned, but I think over the course of the game that Predator will be far more useful.

You're right.  It certainly isn't the auto include that it seemed to be in 7th.  I think it will have a niche though.  I just doubt it will be anti-infantry like it currently is.  I do need to acquire a few more Predators myself though...

Thoughts on Death Company this edition, especially mounted Death Company ? 

I'm quite liking the idea of DC in Twin Heavy Flamer Razors. They would seem to support assaults quite well, and reward aggressive play. Give the DC inside a couple of Infernus Pistols and you've got an all-comers unit that works quite well with each other.

Something like at 1500 :-

Lemartes

7x DC w/ Jump Packs, Power Fist, 2x Power Sword

5x DC w/ 2x Infernus, Power Sword

DC Dread w/ Fists, Melta, Flamer, Magna

Razorback w/ Twin Heavy Flamer

Stormraven w/ Twin AC, Twin Melta, Hurricans, Stormstrikes

Razorbacks act as the 'anchor' to base assaults around. Twin HF is nice for overwatch if the vehicles get assaulted and Infernos can shoot into assaults after the DC have disembarked.

Aim for turn 2 assaults with everything.

I think Potms negates the -1 to hit penalty for the storm raven. I plan on hurricane bolsters, asscan, and either multi melta or typhoon missle launcher in mine

Storm Ravens are looking quite tasty. A Storm Raven looks to weigh in at 311 points for Asscannon, MM and Hurricane bolter version. That is 40 shooting dice at up to 12"! Also, am I right that infantry and Dreads inside can now disembark while it is flying supersonic? There is nothing equivalent to the old "Skies of Blood" rule.

I think Potms negates the -1 to hit penalty for the storm raven. I plan on hurricane bolsters, asscan, and either multi melta or typhoon missle launcher in mine

Storm Ravens are looking quite tasty. A Storm Raven looks to weigh in at 311 points for Asscannon, MM and Hurricane bolter version. That is 40 shooting dice at up to 12"! Also, am I right that infantry and Dreads inside can now disembark while it is flying supersonic? There is nothing equivalent to the old "Skies of Blood" rule.

That is how I am reading everything. Not only that but I am much less frightened of having units actually be transported inside of the storm raven now. Instead of it essentially being a 'roll a one and live' for occupants that crash to 'roll a one and die'. I fully plan on flying it straight in to the heart of the beast, unloading the crazy firepower I have to cripple things, and then disgorging some infantry and dreadnought to charge in and mop up the next turn. 

Less than that no ? I make the Stormraven/Twin AC/Twin MM/Hurricanes/Stormstrike to be 290pts

They're great. Buckets of firepower vs infantry and vehicles, fast, a transport, and second most durable vehicle after a Land Raider (and that's without the -1 to hit if Supersonic)

Less than that no ? I make the Stormraven/Twin AC/Twin MM/Hurricanes/Stormstrike to be 290pts

They're great. Buckets of firepower vs infantry and vehicles, fast, a transport, and second most durable vehicle after a Land Raider (and that's without the -1 to hit if Supersonic)

are you adding 2 stormstrike missile launchers and 2 hurricane bolters?

A storm raven with 2 combat squads, a character, and a dreadnought can tie up 4 units. It's a lot of eggs in a basket, but it also seems way less dangerous now to fill one stormraven up with a package of murderbombs and hurl it at the enemy. I'd probably do 2x 5 death co, a death co dreadnought, and a chaplain. A solid chunk of fist imo.

I got 310 with my Storm Raven with the same kit. Might of added wrong. I'll have to check when I get home. On Supersonic, I don't believe it said anything about disembarking if it moved Super Sonic. Which is kinda crazy. Good find!

I get the 311 when I add everything up for the Storm Raven which includes both of the Hurricane Bolter and Stormstrike Missiles. The way the new rules work really turn it into a Swiss army knife. With so many multi-damage weapons as well as weight of fire guns the thing seems really good. I might get a chance to play some this weekend so I will have some real world testing with it soon. 

I get the 311 when I add everything up for the Storm Raven which includes both of the Hurricane Bolter and Stormstrike Missiles. The way the new rules work really turn it into a Swiss army knife. With so many multi-damage weapons as well as weight of fire guns the thing seems really good. I might get a chance to play some this weekend so I will have some real world testing with it soon. 

My list was at 1,999 so that's perfect! :biggrin.: 1999 was REALLY bugging me! Lol.

I'd be fine with s 3 hand flamers, but d3 isn't enough shots. I'd rather just have the free bolt pistol. If it were d6 or s 4 I'd be more into it.

My Seraphim wave hi with their d6 shot hand flamers :P

I'd be fine with s 3 hand flamers, but d3 isn't enough shots. I'd rather just have the free bolt pistol. If it were d6 or s 4 I'd be more into it.

Why tho? And aren't they cheaper for sisters too?

I wish ours were d6. I was all excited for them again until I saw the profile.

I wish ours were d6. I was all excited for them again until I saw the profile.

I mean, maybe ours is a typo. It doesn't really make any sense for our hand flamers to be different. Even most of the heretics weapons are the same as ours, and theirs has minor daemons and stuff in them.

Played my first 8th Ed game today! It was a blast! A few things on Blood Angels right off the bat:

-Mephiston is a beast! They really vamped him up for this edition. He is very tough and very killy throwing multiple mortal wounds in the psychic phase with smite and blood boil. Then smashing people with his Str 10 sword. and his base move being 7" means he isn't to hard to run around with.
-Tactical Marines aren't great in MSU. Either full squad them with kitted out weapons or just take Sniper Scouts (maybe just need further testing but this was first impression)
-Sniper scouts are insane, that 6+ to wound = a mortal wound IN ADDITION to the normal wound. Thats crazy. Takes out Characters very quickly.
-Death Company ( needs more testing) They came in where i wanted but they got shot up before they could really do much. One thing i can say is that they absolutely need Astorath and Lemartes by them to function well.
-Tactical Termies ( need to not throw them agaist Wraith Guard with D-scythes) They are more durable and WAYYY more shooty with Storm bolters being 4 shots each at 12". Dropping them into cover from reserves negates any -1 AP thrown at them. overall i think that they can do really well, but they are really expensive.
- Baal Preds- Mediocre, the -1 to hit from moving really kills taking the Assault cannon and Hvy Bolters. and Flamestorm cannon is super short range. they are pretty tough though. and as before better for killing infantry than anything else.
- Razorback- for 102 points you get a t7 10wound model with 6 assault cannon shots and a stormbolter that can haul around 6 dudes. Its ok.
-Astorath- besides forgetting he offered a reroll to hit in combat....... this guy is 100x better than he was in 7th. his Axe no longer striking last is a huge boon. He makes Death Company in 6" auto pass morale. and he is fast and killy.
-Predator- I took the pred autocannon and 2x Lascannon sponsons. OHHH boy did this guy do work(even with my crap rolling) the pred cannon is crazy consistent. hvy 2d3 shots str7 -1ap 3DMG my lists will probably always include one orm or of these bad boys.

Overall i think Blood Angels just need to stick Jump Packs on everything we can and always put half our army in reserves. Bring all the melta/Plasma and powerswords or thunder hammers.

I Still need to try out the Dreadnaughts, flyers, assault marines, Sanguinary Guard,Sanguinary Ancient, Company Vets(aka command squads), assault termies, the sanguinor, Various Captain loadouts, and Dante.

Just my First impression.

Assbacks have a twin assault cannon, that's 12 shots fam +2/4 from the storm bolter.

The dakka is real. I think tactical squads are only really worth it if you're taking them in rhinos/razorbacks. The ability to jump out close to something (preferably with a captain (hello, tycho)) unload and charge with a power weapon sgt is pretty good. They're more of a harassing/flanking unit imo.

Assbacks have a twin assault cannon, that's 12 shots fam +2/4 from the storm bolter.

The dakka is real. I think tactical squads are only really worth it if you're taking them in rhinos/razorbacks. The ability to jump out close to something (preferably with a captain (hello, tycho)) unload and charge with a power weapon sgt is pretty good. They're more of a harassing/flanking unit imo.

OMG! well i probably would have won instead of a tie. Total mess up on my part!! i totally missed it on the Baal Preds too.  i'll have to try them again and roll the proper amount of dice per shot because It really did feel kind low... Thanks for spotting that for me! and i need to get me a tycho model or bash one. He is looking particularly strong.

So, is razor rushing back on the menu? Assualt marines or DC in a asscan razor back. Sprinkle with hammers or melta. Sounds tasty.

Maybe?

With jump packs having speed 12 and capacity to deploy out of LOS/in cover and still get full 12" of movement, I'm not sure if I'm sold on razorbacks as front line APCs.

Maybe it's because we're Blood Angels and I've acquired WAY too many jump pack troops of every flavor but I'm more inclined to treat razorbacks as cheap predators and/or HQ/Character transport.

So I didn't read the whole 8 pages (kinda missed this topic among all the new 8th edition threads on all the forums :D )

However I want to add something neat:

The Baal Pred is actually a pretty decent anti-air unit with his flamer due the auto-hits. With movement he has a 20" threatrange. 2 heavy flamer are an expected 7 S5 AP-1 D1 hits and the Flamestorm Cannon is an expected 3.5 S6 AP-2 D2 hits.

(Also the Flamestorm Cannon is noted as Assault d6 instead of Heavy d6 on the Baal Pred Datasheet...most likely a typo :P )

Costs about 140p. T'au don't even get 3 Crisis Suits with weapons or a Broadside for those points. ;)

So, is razor rushing back on the menu? Assualt marines or DC in a asscan razor back. Sprinkle with hammers or melta. Sounds tasty.

I think Razors with Twin Heavy Flamers and Flamestorm Baals are a big deal for BA, they're proper durable line breaker tanks. To a lesser extent Furioso Dreads with Frag Cannon too - they're a bit slower than Razors, but still get to move on average 11.5" and fire their Frag Cannon and Meltagun.

We would of killed for something like this in 6th/7th.

When most of our jump troops are fragile, Razors and Baals are durable, pump out anti-infantry shooting (even in overwatch when assaulted) and most importantly, are fast assault units.

Run a mix of foot squads in Razors and jumpers using jump pack assault (all with Melta, natch) and jobs a good 'un.

Edit - I forgot the Land Raider Redeemer ! That's going to be such a beast for getting BA units into assault and then supporting them after

Edited by Bartali