2017 - A Tale of Hobbyists

Uverons Nov-Dec update.

Well from the 1st of November to the 20th of December I was working with limited Internet. This scampered many of my plans to get stuff done. Anyhow

I was able to finish painting this Greater Plague Drone.

gallery_63905_13412_143033.jpg

Not sure what I will do in the last month of the event.

November - December 2017 CHALLENGE UPDATE.

This Month the theme " "The Finish Line" Present your finished project along with ‘Fluff’.

Now as for the results of last month. First up the following individuals did not make a vow in the allotted time, or haven’t competed a vow for a second month and as such are out of the event! (Now a number of individuals haven’t been clear on what vows they have made so I have been lenient, if you name is on this list and you don’t think it should be PM me and I will see what I can do):

Grotsmasha, Fisheyedbunny,  Trawling Cleaner, Kennyjapan,

The following individuals did not finish the first vow of the month made, and are not out of the event as they have a onetime pass:

Trokair, Firstson of Horus,  Jaxom

The following Individuals finished at least one Vow:

Binary, Iron Bars, Studio Silvernale, Zujara, Warsmith Uveron, Flaming Walnut,

If you spot a mistake please PM Me!

Edited by Warsmith Uveron

Finish line shot

alpha_legion_army_01_by_kasumidoll-dby4o

The army so far:

The brothers, Armillus Dynat, Autilon Skorr, moritat, chaplain, praetor, 5x tartaros CC terminator, 5x cataphractii terminator, 5x Laernan terminator, 20x Mk III tactical squad, 10x Mk IV tactical squad, 5x Mk IV recon squad, 10x Mk IV assault squad, 10x Mk IV squad (magnetized; volkite caliver standard), 10x Mk III heavy support squad (volkite culivern), 5x Mk IV heavy support (heavy flamer), 2x contemptor (DCCW/assault cannon), deredeo dread, land raider achilles alpha, sicaran punisher, knight titan (magnetized all options; crusader standard)

Reinforcements still to assemble/paint:

Exodus, saboteur, sicaran battle tank, sicaran arcus, sicaran omega destroyer, damocles command rhino, deimos predator, deimos whirlwind scorpius, contemptor-cortus, 10x headhunter squad, and another BaC box set

Fluff:

30K -- They are a loyalist army during the later days of the Great Crusade. They follow a path where they have rejected the Cabal's message.

40K -- They are a loyalist chapter known as the Knights of the Silver Serpent. Under orders of Alpharius Omegron, they assist the inquisition discreetly, rooting out cults and heretics. They are allies of the Sororitas Order of the Broken Covenant (my sororitas army), making sure that the ladies continue their streak of finding and destroying chaos. Behind the scenes, they are manipulating the inquisition away from the legion's interests and destroying the competition, while also systematically destroying any record of the Alpha Legion's existence.

I have finished my vow from last month thanks to the one time pass as I just did not have the time to finish him in time. Does using the pass also count as my vow for this month?

Anyway here is the Ogryn count as Mephiston. I painted his armour in dark blue as a homage to space marine librarians who are in blue (a light shade though I have to admit) and also to make him stand out. I may have been getting a little tiered of so much read as well. As mentioned in the update post at the end of last month he did not original have a backpack but after an accident with some glue the back was rather ruined so the backpack hides that.

He was originally going to have a shield to represent the 2+ armour and because hammer and shield would look good. The plasma pistol was going to be shoulder mounted Predator style (or just on his belt) but when I was blutacking parts to see if I can find a pose that works I could not find one that looked ok with the bits I had. Then I acquired the Inceptor’s large plasma blaster thing and thought that would make a good Ogryn sized plasma pistol.

gallery_29932_13153_30063.jpg

In terms of my Ogryn project I think I am happy with what I have and considerer it done. I will take a group shot in the next few days. This took me way longer than anticipated as I had intended this to be a short project so that I have a simple army with which to familiarize 8th rules. I was then intending to work on some of my Mecanicum stuff for the rest of the event. Alas that has not happened, maybe this year.

As I am not sure if I need to vow another unit this month, I am going to attempt to paint Nork Deddog in the next week. I originally built him near the beginning of this project as I though he would be a HQ in the index and he could by the HQ for the project. However as he was only an Elite and as I had no other AM Characters he did not really fit in with the project, especially once I had decided to go Imperial Keyword and use other units with Ogryn like stats as count as. So instead I was going to paint him up in my Guard colours at some point and use him as a bodyguard as intended. That said I am now going to attempt to paint him in the sae colours as the rest of the project so that when I use him in my guard army I can use the other Bullgryn/Ogryns there as well without looking out of place, explaining the different colour scheme as just the origin/difference of the abhuman Auxilia compared to the Guard Regiment.

gallery_29932_13153_55241.jpg

Edit now that I have had time to read the last page and a bit:

Binary, those marines are looking great as always. Love the unique Attackbike.

On the Techmarine where is that servo arm from?

Silvernale, That is an impressive army you have painted in the last few months, I hope you are having fun with it in games.

Zujara, I find that servo skull adorable with its little boltpistol. You should use it somewhere.

Uveron, that plague drone looks suitably disgusting!

Edited by Trokair

I have finished Nork Deddog, he was a bit rushed as I only had a week and today was the last day before the end that I could take pictures and post. That should be my vows completed for this event, thank you Uveron for running it and thank you to everybody else for taking part, there was some really good work here and some nice conversions and project ideas. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I have.

gallery_29932_13153_154194.jpg

Full army shot, presenting a part of the Scathian XX Auxillia Regiment, hope they are ok.

gallery_29932_13153_41924.jpg

Edit: another picture, hope this one is better.

gallery_29932_13153_8233.jpg

In terms of fluff, I haven’t much to add from what I briefly came up with in the summer at the start of this project but here goes.

The Mechanicus on Elysium have maintained a stable population of Ogryns as a ready source of hosts to be converted into servitor due to their resilience compared to base humans. Extended breading programs to produce smarter Ogryn have had limited success allowing them to also be used as part of the normal labour force within the forges and mines, for the simpler tasks obviously. The breading program has also resulted in a higher proportion of Ogryns suitable for BONE enhancements. As such the Scathia Forge has gain extensive experience with neural augmentation of Ogryn and developed more advance version of the more common BONE implants. When the native Ogryn population periodically grows too large rather than culling the excess they are pressed into service and handed over to the Department Munitorum for assignment.

There is also a small but steady supply to other Imperial organisations and individuals of BONE augmented Ogryns as bodyguards, heavy weapons personal and similar.

The 20th Auxillia Regiment to be raised by Scathia was in the last stages of preparation before shipping out when a Necron strike force entered the system, bypassed the orbital defences and launched raids on several Forges. While 2th Auxillia was only briefly involved in this initial skirmish they would become a mainstay of the defence forces during the following protracted war with the Necrons. The Department Munitorum and Navy Ships that had come to collect the 20 Auxillia Regiment as well as arms and ammunitions supplies instead divulged all its forces to bolster the defending forces.

Edit: add and fix second picture

Edited by Trokair

My vow is complete!

gallery_47372_13362_63975.jpg

And the finished shot:

gallery_47372_13362_42373.jpg

Fluff(not a lot but the group has been planning a campaign so will go with what we have!):

A fleet from Ryza sent to recover tech from worlds lost during the noctis aeterna. On one world they found a stranded lance of knights from House Cadmus, who agreed to join them in exchange for a shuttle back to their home world after. Currently engaged on the world of Luibos III in the far galactic south, coming to the relief of Imperial defenders fighting a 3 way war against Orks and Tyranids. With rumours of valuable tech and STCs in a ruined city held by the Orks, the Tech Priests hope to push the Orks back enough to gather what they came for.

++ Finish Line Vow Complete ++

Roughly after my last post:

dkmB72gm.jpg

And now:

LuVXBCNl.jpg

wFkAspvm.jpg  WxaY7b9m.jpg

Task Force Rampart M42.023

ZtYLMLkl.jpg?1

Years of fighting after the fall of Cadia had reduced the once proud 4th Army Group to a single squad of veteran Redjacks and the 265th and 812th Cadian Infantry Squads with barely any armored support. The two remaining officers, urged on by the commissar, prepared for a glorious last stand. Hope came on wings of flame as transports began to land members of the Lightbringers chapter; themselves reinforced at the beginning of the Indomitus Crusade by Primaris brethren.

Brothers, it has been an honor and a privilege to share this journey with you all.

Edited by jaxom

Well, this is it. So, I had planned to do one last unit to finish my Primaris properly, but between the Path to Glory this month and the general sense of distraction looming over me. BUT, I will say that it has been a wonderful time. I petered out, sure, but this felt good to have a structure and a goal to work with! I have the start of a painted army and a feeling of accomplishment, even if my subconscious tries to belittle that accomplishment since it pales to what the original plan was. But screw that, I love my Marines, even if they still need work. So, here they are, the final end to this Tale of Hobbyists:

Complete Army

And now, the thing I had been pushing myself to do ALLLL of last year...

The Phoenix Wardens chapter were Space Marines of distinction, fighting foes across the Eastern Fringe of the galaxy with valor, fury....and an unprecedented Psychic might. What truly marks the Phoenix Wardens from other chapters was their Librarium encompassed a large majority of their command structure, even having sergeants and Captains without psychic potential safeguarded and trained in spotting the sorcery of the Archenemy.

This focus on the witchcraft of the Empyrean has led the Phoenix Wardens into conflict with many of the Imperium's more radical kin. The Phoenix Wardens faced this opposition with diplomacy and grace, intent on keeping their enemies to just those who sought the Imperium harm. Many a time the Phoenix Wardens would go out of their way to prove their control over their psychic powers, striking at the heart of many a Chaos warband with minimal casualties. At the Battle for Iakai IV, it was the Phoenix Warden's zeal and hate of Chaos that won them the dedication of Adeptas Sororitas Order of the Feathered Saint. These devoted allies silenced many Inquisitors and Ecclesiarch's as to the faith and purity of the Phoenix Wardens.

But the years wore on the Phoenix Wardens. Their logic and precision to strike were quickly overcome by the forces of the Archenemy growing increasingly aware of the Warden's desperation to purge Chaos. Soon, Warbands were striking the chapter one after another to wear it thin. Forces vied to break the Wardens, but they resolved. It was on a final dual strike by vying forces did the Phoenix Wardens threaten to crumble... Two large warbands, one of Nurgle and one of Tzeentch, struck at the chapter and their caravan of allies. The all out warfare was brutal and unforgiving, and though the Imperial forces lived through the heroic sacrifices of many a Captain, Company, Cannoness, and Regiment, they were now little more than a shred of their former selves.

Thirteen Librarians of a variety of rank, alongside a smaller handful of Veterans, were all that remained of the Phoenix Wardens. The last surviving members were laid bare in their dangerous battle yet; they fought the despair of their chapter's death and the desire for vengeance. Chaos Gods awaited their acceptance of dark powers to fill the void that the battle had created, but instead they were halted by an unexpected light. Cannoness Kira Varassa rose from the pile of the dead, reborn for her glory and honor as a Living Saint. The golden halo and angelic presence shone hope into the hearts of the faltering Astartes. In that moment, Chaos lost.

It was the second answer to their prayers that rebirthed the Phoenix Wardens anew: Roboute Guilliman, reborn Primarch of the Ultramarines, arrived in the sector. With an offer of Primaris reinforcements, the Phoenix Wardens rose from the ashes to a nearly Full Strength chapter. They rode out again to strike down the new maw of Chaos and continue to fight the Imperium's enemies wherever they may lie...

And so we finally get to the end of the tale.  Here's my vow for this month, meaning I've completed at least 1 vow every month, (and that I've now got a reasonably sized chunk of a space marine company finished)

Techmarine Ulfius
0CJhUFo.jpg
8DMtWQp.jpg

Terminator Sergeant Baudwin
hj4p0Yg.jpg
8Xbkyux.jpg

Bike squad Lancel
gPMR0ln.jpg
4AkMPNs.jpg
2g6pgla.jpg
16m9vXk.jpg
tGVvQPw.jpg
cJkodcc.jpg

Librarian Merlhain
1w1H2xM.jpg
wGebhu7.jpg
Who needs OSL when you can have real lights!

And the Beuaty shots.  This means I have finished 30 tactical marines, 10 Devestator marines, 5 Assault marines, 6 bikes, 1 attackbike, a Land Raider, 2 Veterans, 2 Terminators, a Lieutenant, an Apothecary, a Company Champion, a Chaplain, a Rhino, a Deredeo and a Primaris Librarian.

N03b5zH.jpg
xTcQhD9.jpg
qq1GLEW.jpg
JDF7hp4.jpg
QLe7r9Q.jpg

Just 20 Tactical marines,  10 Devestator marines, 5 Assault marines, 3 Assault Terminators, 5 Tactical Terminators, 3.5 Rhinos, 2 razorbacks, 2 drop pods, 10 Intercessors, 5 Reivers, 3 Aggressors, 4 Servitors, A Castraferrum Dreadnought a Landspeeder and a repulsor and thats the basics of the Company done.
....Still thinking of a Fire Raptor with motorised turrets though.....

Oh, and some fluff too..
"After the disaster at Khymara the 4th company was restructured by amalgamiting some of the more depleted squads, most notably 3rd Tactical under Sergeant Caradot was reduced to only 4 active members during the Arisa Breakout, so was joined by the survivors of 5th Tactical  (as Sergeant Edern had fallen to a sniper round during the early stages of the ambush)
The remaining positions were filled from the chapter's reserve companies, although noticably 6th Tactical (under Veteran Sergeant Feirenz) were inducted in their entirity to fill the squad position.  This would explain the lack of deployment with special or heavy weapons.
The replenished 4th were then ordered to patrol HIlak System, after reports of Aeldari Pirates operating out of the asteroid belt.  It was during one of the many skirmishesCaptain Ulthor initiated to draw the xenos out that the Strike Cruiser "Avalon's Blade" arrived in system bearing more reinforcements in the guise of Primaris marines.
Initially suspicious, Captain Uthor has accepted these warriors into the 4th's ranks, though some of the survivors of Khymara resent the new comers although this situation hasn't come to a head....yet"
.........Extract from "Rebulding after Badab, the fall and rise of the Howling Griffons", Sertomas Malleorre, Savant, aide to Inquisitor Galfridius Arturus, 977M41