HH Book 46: Ruinstorm

Either way, rejoice! It's going to be over pretty soon. 

Daring the possibility of being pelted with rotten fruit and a tirade of foul language i have to admit that this makes me sad.

I am firmly in the camp (though I'm not even sure there are enough of us to justify calling it such) that would like the pace to slacken a little. Seeing LJG confirm that all Heresy slots are booked fills me with dread. The end is coming, as all good things surly must, but i don't want it to.

I'm no codex or Wiki reader and 40k for me is still a relatively new setting with only 5 years of lore gathering from BL... but each entry of the Heresy, be it good or bad, has had me hooked and gagging for more knowledge about the Legions / individual characters. I knew so little of 40k that only until ToH came out did i realise that Abaddon (you know, future battle king of Chaos) was the same dude who tried to kill my man Loken!! When listening to Deliverance Lost i actually thought that Corax was going to successfully re-build his Legion, i was on the edge of my seat.

I have so many good memories from this series that despite the confirmations it will soon be at an end, i hope it won't be too soon.

Either way, rejoice! It's going to be over pretty soon. 

Daring the possibility of being pelted with rotten fruit and a tirade of foul language i have to admit that this makes me sad.

I am firmly in the camp (though I'm not even sure there are enough of us to justify calling it such) that would like the pace to slacken a little. Seeing LJG confirm that all Heresy slots are booked fills me with dread. The end is coming, as all good things surly must, but i don't want it to.

I'm no codex or Wiki reader and 40k for me is still a relatively new setting with only 5 years of lore gathering from BL... but each entry of the Heresy, be it good or bad, has had me hooked and gagging for more knowledge about the Legions / individual characters. I knew so little of 40k that only until ToH came out did i realise that Abaddon (you know, future battle king of Chaos) was the same dude who tried to kill my man Loken!! When listening to Deliverance Lost i actually thought that Corax was going to successfully re-build his Legion, i was on the edge of my seat.

I have so many good memories from this series that despite the confirmations it will soon be at an end, i hope it won't be too soon.

Don't worry - 'to be over pretty soon' is from 3 to 4 years with the current release schedule. I see the end in 2020, lol

I'm expecting 2018 HH releases from Chris Wraight, John French at the least, and ABD as well.

Possibly Guy Haley as well, he's a fast writer and it's been a while since "Pharos".

Not sure if Abnett would have his HH book next year already. McNeill seems like a certain no-no.

Due to the veterannoob podcasts we already know that John doing an unnonaunced HH novel. With a probable release in 2018.

Same goes for Wraight. Haley told during BL Live 2016 that except for the Mortarion, he also already planning  to do a  Horus Heresy novel.

So this 3 are definitely almost confirmed.

Don't think that with the Emperors Spears A D-B writing at the moment, he would be writing a HH novel so soon. But maybe he would create a miracle again and finish the Emperor's Spears quickly and will be back to us with the 'Nightfall for Horus Heresy' ;)

We might see that 'Wolf Cull" novel/novella. That sure is taking its sweet time arriving.

We don't even know who's supposed to be writing it.

It feels a bit weird talking about ADB's next book on this board as he could probably illustrate the truth far better than my guesswork, but I'm thinking that he probably finishes Emperor's Spears in the next 3-4 months and the next book will almost certainly be a HH novel.

Edited by Taliesin

We might see that 'Wolf Cull" novel/novella. That sure is taking its sweet time arriving.

It feels a bit weird talking about ADB's next book on this board as he could probably illustrate the truth far better than my guesswork, but I'm thinking that he probably finishes Emperor's Spears in the next 3-4 months and the next book will almost certainly be a HH novel.

I do not expect 'Wolf Cull' to be written by anyone except Wraight. Definitely not by French.

What I do think John French is writing at the moment  - is a 'Titan Death' event from the Beta-Garmont.

A D-B HH book totally depends on him and his ability to get back to the Heresy.

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to more The Honoured/The Unburdened style side stories. There are plenty of places where more books could help fleshing out worlds and characters, outside the established road to Terra. I just don't think it should happen until The Primarchs is done and over with.

I could take a Horus Heresy story over a Primarch one
Same here. Not been inspired to buy any of the Primarch books yet.

I do understand that DC prefer a road to destination not the conclusion. But some of us prefer main/side stories finished in the already 'almost' finished setting, instead of intermixing it already with the new prequel/sequel ones

The series may be slow for you. Fine. All good. Whatever. But for the 800th time, it doesn't matter what else people write. Me, Dan, Jim, and five other guys could have been only writing HH novels for the last 18 months, and free for the next year to only write HH novels, and literally nothing would change in the HH release schedule.

"I want the series to go faster." = Fine.

"All of these other books are slowing the series down / are stealing focus from relevant stuff." = Nonsense.

I don't want to see the Han Solo movie that's coming out. But I'm not mad at it for slowing down The Last Jedi and Star Wars IX, because it isn't slowing them down. I'm not interested in it, so I won't go see it. I'm not mad that it's something different from the main arc. I'm just not interested. That's okay. Not everything is made for me. Not everything has to go at the speed I think it should go.

Emilia Clarke is a treasure!

I'm expecting 2018 HH releases from Chris Wraight, John French at the least, and ABD as well.

Possibly Guy Haley as well, he's a fast writer and it's been a while since "Pharos".

Not sure if Abnett would have his HH book next year already. McNeill seems like a certain no-no.

Due to the veterannoob podcasts we already know that John doing an unnonaunced HH novel. With a probable release in 2018.

Same goes for Wraight. Haley told during BL Live 2016 that except for the Mortarion, he also already planning  to do a  Horus Heresy novel.

Don't think that with the Emperors Spears A D-B writing at the moment, he would be writing a HH novel so soon. But maybe he would create a miracle again and finish the Emperor's Spears quickly and will be back to us with the 'Nightfall for Horus Heresy' :wink:

I've been saying for a while, there's no way Nightfall will fit in the Heresy. There's just no time for it.

I do not expect 'Wolf Cull' to be written by anyone except Wraight. Definitely not by French.

What I do think John French is writing at the moment  - is a 'Titan Death' event from the Beta-Garmont.

Not exactly. There's almost no room left, because the series is practically finished. I'll likely get one in, though I'm not sure when I'd be writing it. The only thing it depends on is what the story would be, as there's not a lot left I'm interested in writing. The money is great, but I'm not going to take a Heresy book just because I can.

Just to let you know.

This thread is about Ruinstorm.

Not for your sickening love for ADB and wishing him to write every book. Ever. For the rest of every storyline.

You're speaking irrelevancies.

In fairness, he's been totally mean to me more than a few times in the past - though it usually stops when I say "That's wrong / you're misunderstanding / it doesn't say that in the book" or whatever.

Anyway, just wanted to cross a few Ts there, and clear up a few misconceptions. Back to Ruinstorm.

Edited by A D-B

Not exactly. There's almost no room left, because the series is practically finished. I'll likely get one in, though I'm not sure when I'd be writing it. The only thing it depends on is what the story would be, as there's not a lot left I'm interested in writing. The money is great, but I'm not going to take a Heresy book just because I can.

Would you take a Heresy book just because we said 'Pleeease'?

I hope they carry on with heresy stuff once the main arc is finished too. There's lots that could still be explored.

I would second this. I think that there should be the option, once the main Heresy arc has concluded, for the authors to go back and write novels in the setting, perhaps ones like Nightfall. If I were BL I might be tempted to brand them something along the lines of 'Tales of the Age of Darkness', a bit like their Primarchs series, connected but different. I think that in hindsight (always 20/20 of course) perhaps this might have been a useful way to go earlier. Novels like Damnation of Pythos could have fitted perfectly into such a series. 

Honestly I would love it if we could get a small series following the story of the Ebon Drake from the FW books. It would not fit in the main Heresy arc, but it would make a good tale and allow the Shattered Legions a bit more room to breath on their own. 

If someone still care about boring IS yet, well I'm glad it's over. IS was a filler to take your money and give authors easy time. Cause in all the IS stuff released to date almost nothing ;major; did happened.

I think this is the core of why I disagree with you so much about the series.

We know what happens at Terra, in the broad strokes if not the details; for me, the appeal of the Horus Heresy series is exploring the whole of the setting, not just the straight-ahead narrative of "Horus went bad and tried to take over the Imperium and failed, here's how."

I'm very interested in stories such as the Imperium Secundus narrative that explore different attitudes towards the situation of the Heresy, the Primarchs' and the Legions' sense of duty to the Emperor and the Imperium and its people, et cetera. Stories like this reveal the character of the figures involved, rather than just dryly depicting their actions at some more length than the original White Dwarf articles.

Sure, I'm also interested to see this sort of thing around the Siege of Terra, but I'd hate to rush past everything else that's interesting about the setting just to get to the climax, especially because realistically interest in the series will diminish once it reaches that point and thus it's less likely that they'll double back to cover this sort of thing.

Don't think that with the Emperors Spears A D-B writing at the moment, he would be writing a HH novel so soon. But maybe he would create a miracle again and finish the Emperor's Spears quickly and will be back to us with the 'Nightfall for Horus Heresy' :wink:

I've been saying for a while, there's no way Nightfall will fit in the Heresy. There's just no time for it.

Please take a Heresy novel because we want you to?

Ferrus' eyes were gold flecked green until he got necroncancer. But the primarchs all had different shades of pupils as pointed above.

I don't think there is any real reason for the primarchs in the book series art having glowing white eyes other than it looking pretty damn cool. Which it does!

Edited by Warsmith Kroeger

I too would really hate to see the Horus Heresy novels end I'm a huge fan of them! however, there is so much juicy stuff to come after :devil: 

In terms of Ruinstorm I'm interested to see David's take on these Primarch's and there respective legions. I know people were not keen on Damnation of Pythos but I really enjoyed the story it told and the characters that were present throughout the storyline, so, im very intrigued at this one.

A D-B  - thanks for clarification.

'Not exactly. There's almost no room left, because the series is practically finished. I'll likely get one in, though I'm not sure when I'd be writing it. The only thing it depends on is what the story would be, as there's not a lot left I'm interested in writing. The money is great, but I'm not going to take a Heresy book just because I can.'

Sad, but understandable. Hope to see some Siege of Terra awesomeness from you in novel size form.

'In fairness, he's been totally mean to me more than a few times in the past - though it usually stops when I say "That's wrong / you're misunderstanding / it doesn't say that in the book" or whatever.'

- I think that works both ways. I was NEVER intentionally ment to offend or be mean to you, geeze. 

I hope you already won the "monkey knife fight" - who would write fleet actions over breaking of Luna shipyards and orbital defenses ;)

I don't imagine it fits in with the established final plans for the series, and I don't know how it would fit in with the canonical immediate aftermath of Terra anyway, but what I'd love to read from you is a kind of triptych story of a Sons of Horus clan, a Word Bearers chapter, and a World Eaters band starting from the moment they learned Horus was dead. Maybe the protagonists could be new characters, or supporting players from previous books you've written - i.e. not Abaddon, Erebus, or Khârn, but a more "typical" member of the Legion.

The hints at this time period and the attitudes and beliefs created by it in your Night Lords and Black Legion series are to blame; I really hope Black Library decides to continue the story into the Scouring era so we can get some stories like this, from you or others.

I know you have more ideas than you can write already, and can only write the things that grab hold of you anyway, so I'm definitely not suggesting you do this - but just so you know, it's pretty good in my head! Unfortunately I have more of an editor's mind than a writer's, or I'd give it a go myself, at least for my own pleasure.

Edited by mhacdebhandia

So... Ruinstorm.

I hope the extract will be up in early September when they unveil the December lineup. But then, they still haven't put up all the September extracts this time, only Blackshields (which kinda annoys me with how similar it is to the Blackshield short story...) and the Age of Sigmar novel. Nothing for Cadia Stands or The Emperor's Legion yet. Seems a bit atypical though, so hopefully we'll get the first chapter or such of Ruinstorm next month.

Maybe then we can actually talk about the book again instead of wishlisting about the Heresy's next years...