Black Library Weekender 2017 date and tickets are up

Warhammer TV's short interview with John French, Nick Kyme, ADB, Robbie and Dan Abnett. 

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/478522039209446/

I like how AD-B looks like a younger version of Dan Abnett - like if he just let his beard keep growing . . .

In regards to Annandale, I vaguely remember reading in one of his interview that he was sort of done with a full lenght novel after Ruinstorm and that there would be a short story follow-up to the same novel. When asked if he was writing anything else in HH I thought he said he was done?

I sort of agree...I think with the Terra stuff if needs to go out with a bang so some combo of Abnett, French. ADB, Haley and/or Wraight would be my vote. At least the Wolf Cull and slaves to darkness is with Haley and French so off to a good start!

-Siege of Terra will be at least 3 books, possibly more. Releases will start towards the later part of 2018

-Guy Hayley, Christ Wraight, and David Annandale will handle most of the siege of Terra stuff

1- Well thank the lord. Was worried we'd be looking at a baseline six or something. The basic synopsis of Slaves to the Darkness makes me hopeful that we get periphery events out of the way in novels of their own before plunging headlong into the siege proper.

2- On the other hand, mentions that Abnett may be involved in the siege and the 3 book minimum make this confusing. Perhaps the statement was in regards to anthology shorts? I guess its a wait and see sort of thing. Excited for more Wraight, at the very least.

Robbie macniven looks like he had fun judging by his Facebook photos so there's something!

Just watched the Facebook interview video, and I have to say, every time I see BL authors talk about their work, they seem genuinely happy.  I know I've read stuff about a time when they maybe weren't so happy, and I'm sure that work is work is work even if your work is writing about awesome things, but it makes me want to read more when I see people who are proud and happy about the stories they create. 

I genuinely had the time of my life. It's probably partly because we authors live in such a bubble it's weird/exciting for us to encounter people familiar with what we do. That was also the first time I've ever met any of the other authors in person, and every single one of them was so nice and accommodating. They're a great bunch of Remembrancers. 

I know I'm linking reddit but here's some other impressions from the weekender, some but not all of which has been mentioned elsewhere: https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/7e1vxy/black_library_weekender_2017_revealations_siege/

I've bolded the stuff that seems newest and most interesting. New Bequin, new Cain, more TBA-style delving into the millennia between the heresy and 40k.

-Future main HH releases are as follows: Old Earth (Vulkan), The Burden of Loyalty (Anthology), Wolfsbane by Guy Hayley (Russ vs Horus/Wolf Cull), Slaves to Darkness by John French (Sets up beginning of siege of Terra, will feature all traitor primarchs besides Curze). Many short stories and some novellas planned throughout including Guilliman vs World Eaters and lion finding out about Luthers betrayal

-Siege of Terra will be at least 3 books, possibly more. Releases will start towards the later part of 2018

-sadly there will be no titandeath book. Lots of people were bummed over this

-Dan Abnett will be involved in the Siege of Terra books but only the last phase as he's quite busy right now

-Guy Hayley, Christ Wraight, and David Annandale will handle most of the siege of Terra stuff

-The next Primarchs book after Khan will be Vulkan

-Dan Abnetts schedule is the next Gaunts Ghost book anarch, then Bequin, then Horus Heresy

-sandy Mitchell is writing a new Ciaphas Cain novel

-Andy Smilee Fleash Tearers novel

-Soul Bond, Raven Guard audio drama

-Mephiston sequel

-Space Marine Conquests book War of secrets will see Dark Angels/Angels of Absolution vs. Tau and Fallen

-mike lee writing a crimson fist book legacy of Dorn which will take place after dark imperium

-Castellan crow novel

-Horusian Wars sequel

-Carcharadons sequel. Outer dark

-Gav Thorpe Titan novel, Imperator

-Primaris space marine book, Blood of Iax by Robbie macnievan

-Super heavy tank vs Titans book, Titans bane by Chris dows

-Death guard book in modern setting by Christ Wraight, Lords of Silence

-Blackshields sequel by Reynolds

-BL is exploring new beast arises style multi novel "events" with stuff such as Occlusiad, Nova Terra, Moriae Schism, etc

I am rather concerned that Annandale will be handling a lot of the Siege

Edited by b1soul

For any B&C gents who were present, how was the spot with Toby Longworth? Was really hoping Warhammer TV would of been more active as it gave me easy access last year to an event I have no free real world time to attend, the joys of parenthood! What was the one off audio drama like that they were going to record on Saturday night?

On a side note, a new Ciaphas Cain novel??? Oh hell yeah!! Best news of the event right there! :happy.:

Everything involving Toby Longworth was a joy.

The guy is thoroughly entertaining and a really nice chap, I made sure to get his details to interview him soon.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! This makes me so happy to hear... it's weird how this really shouldn't matter to someone who didn't (couldn't) attend, but it really does :happy.:

I’m still in shock they didn’t go to any of the heavy hitters to cover the siege. That’s just.... why?

Abnett's doing some some siege work. Thinking of timescales but if he's doing GG then Bequin then heresy, it's plausible that he's still down for the final book.

Otherwise it kind of hinges on that "most of the siege of Terra stuff" line and how we're supposed to interpret it alongside the siege being "at least 3 books, possibly more", when we have Hayley, Wraight, Annendale and Abnett - four authors, minimum - all associated with it. It's chinese whispers of unconfirmed stuff at this stage, unfortunately.

Edited by Sandlemad

I’m still in shock they didn’t go to any of the heavy hitters to cover the siege. That’s just.... why?

It does come across as quite the head scratch moment... quite possibly the biggest event in the history of 40k Lore and i can't help but feel like we're being trolled a little.

I enjoy each of those authors works for different reasons, but if you try to find a common trait between them it is to consistently turn out new work at pace. I don't want to believe for one minute that the Siege authors have been selected by how many words they churn through a day, but that's where my head is right now. As Sandlemad said, it's all a bit Chinese whispers and in my mind would of been better if it hadn't been mentioned at all.

Wraight isn’t handling ‘the Siege’, Wraight is handlig the White Scars at the Siege, which is to say the Siege will get almost zero coverage, since the white Scars didn’t defend anything and spent the entirety of the battle away from the Palace. There are three legions at the Siege. That should be three novels. French for Fists, Swallow for Angels (sadly), and Wraight for Scars.

I think, as Sandlemad says, there are too many unknowns at this point to say much with any certainty. From what we've been told, Haley, Wraight and Annandale will do some significant writing for the Siege. But we don't know if that means each of them is doing 1 novel, or if that means no one else is.

For me, that line-up is decent and could be a lot worse. My own top 5 in the series so far is ADB, Abnett, Wraight, Haley and French. Slaves to Darkness kind of sounds like it's a prelude to the Siege itself, Abnett might be writing something for it late in, and Wraight and Haley are both mentioned as significant contributors. I'll admit Annandale isn't among my favourite authors for HH, but he's put out some good stuff, and there are plenty I enjoy a lot less.

My only real concern is the lack of ADB in there so far. Considering how well-received his work has been, and how much he's done with the likes of Lorgar, Angron and Khârn, I'm really hoping he gets something more than a short story or two, at least. But we'll see.

Wraight isn’t handling ‘the Siege’, Wraight is handlig the White Scars at the Siege, which is to say the Siege will get almost zero coverage, since the white Scars didn’t defend anything and spent the entirety of the battle away from the Palace. There are three legions at the Siege. That should be three novels. French for Fists, Swallow for Angels (sadly), and Wraight for Scars.

"The Siege" refers to a lot more than just attacking the Imperial Palace though. There's the rest of Terra itself, not to mention the wider Sol system. Honestly, if all the finale covered was -just- the Imperial Palace, you wouldn't need 3 books. Heck, the Emperor's final attack against Horus doesn't take place within "the Siege" by that definition.

"The White Scars at the Siege" is an important component of the conflict covered within the series finale. And even then, while I'm sure whatever Wraight does will focus on the White Scars, that's not to say no one else will be involved. They need someone to fight, after all, and Wraight's previous HH books have included other legions in some part. 

Edited by Tymell

I’ve just never been a fan. His 40k Templars left a bad taste in my mouth and I found Pharos ending to unrealistic and campy. Not to mention his desire to make literally everything connect across the eras (Tyranids being attracted to the Pharos beacon was downright stupid).

I’ve just never been a fan. His 40k Templars left a bad taste in my mouth and I found Pharos ending to unrealistic and campy. Not to mention his desire to make literally everything connect across the eras (Tyranids being attracted to the Pharos beacon was downright stupid).

Hold on there.  By Haley's, ADB's, and Goulding's word, connecting the Pharos to the Tyranids was something specifically requested by Alan Merrett.

I don’t think that is correct. The Warhawk had a huge role. If he didn’t liberate the Lion’s Gate port, the Siege would have gone entirely different. Also, Jaghatai riding on top of a Land Raider is second only to Sang at the Gates in terms of iconic Siege lore to me.

Edited by caladancid

I don’t think that is correct. The Warhawk had a huge role. If he didn’t liberate the Lion’s Gate port, the Siege would have gone entirely different. Also, Jaghatai riding on top of a Land Raider is second only to Sang at the Gates in terms of iconic Siege lore to me.

You mean like... the Emperor dying and the golden age of the Imperium being doomed to decay and ultimately an eternity in a living hell at the hands of chaos?