Black Library Weekender 2017 date and tickets are up

He's the one I liked least. Say what you will about Goto, with all his canon errors and stupid stuff, but he was a product of a different time. He wrote Dawn of War tie-ins that weren't even fully consistent with the games, but he didn't go entirely out of whack.

Kelly, though, hogs Tau basically to himself. Farsight, Shadowsun, Aun'Va, now Kais, and he treats them badly. His Shadowsun and Aun'Va were excruciating in his Damocles novella. He didn't write a good Kor'sarro Khan either. Then he wrote a Farsight novella with the new fluff involved, it was poor, but by that point one at least had hope the Farsight series project that BL teased when they still had a blog around 4-5 years ago, had died with the shifts within the studio. Then Farsight: Crisis of Faith released anyway, and now the series is back on.

Adding Cato Sicarius and co to the mix in Blades of Damocles, you've got a disaster. I'd rather read Kyme write another trilogy on Cato than have Kelly touch him again. To give you context: In Kyme's Assault on Black Reach, Cato Sicarius strapped on a jump pack to make a push. In Kelly's Blades of Damocles, he does worse with them.

Kelly also seems to have a thing for the whole surfing-on-thunderhawks idea. Shadowsun did it, apparently Cato does it too.

The most positive thing I've read from him would be Sigmar's Blood... and that was a chain of battle reports for the End Times prequel, basically. Battle after battle after battle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anakwanar

Phil Kelly working on a sequel to Farsight... Arthas Moloch... God damn it, why him? Again?! And then throwing Kais to him as well?! Who thought that was a good idea?!

Because they hate us with passion. I totally agree with you battle brother. I can't fathom who can still read what he writes. 

Is Phil Kelly not a good writer? Granted I’ve never read anything he’s written so I don’t actually have experience with it.

Kelly writes Tau stuff, and generally has the problem of narratively favouring them when writing them. In a manner that comes off as fiat on his part.