How much will you mix and match?

So with how battle forged armies work now, Imperial and Chaos seem to benefit the most as these are likely the factions we will see mix and match as they see fit as all you need to be a battle forged army is to share ONE keyword (so I believe it is Chaos for you filthy dirty heretics, and Imperium for us loyal and true) this means that now we can technically all have access to whatever toys we want regardless of our chapter. This also extends to being able to freely snatch up any imperial guard tanks that may be useful along with units.

How will your armies look in the future now that those stupid blood angels can't hog the baal predators anymore (and for your blood angels, you can get centurions. Just put it's chapter as Blel Angols, people won't notice ;)). While we already see units that buff only certain keywords (as in a certain chapter or regiment) these are minor issues that now mean we can have marines run around with Chimeras, Imperial Guard jumping out of land raiders while Predators now fire alongside Leman Russes.

And I suppose we can also just have the Rainbow Army challenge: Every unit must be different in some way in terms of faction choice XD (bonus points for getting more than 1 faction words differed between your army).

Your thoughts fellow brothers?

Well, transports are all restricted by <chapter>, or <regiment> and so on, so no sharing, except if you are an Inquisitor.

My main army will be Adeptus Mechanicus, and will probably keep it pure.

Occasionally, I might mix in Custodes/assassins/inquisitors/Sisters of Silence.

Possibly take a Techmarine, with Predators, as a Reductor force.

Baal Predator is so gonna be in Raven Guard colors now.

That'll probably be it because Codecies are coming out that may start closing some doors. So, I'm not going to invest time and money into models I'll not need ... Except for the Baal Predator because ... LEAD FARMING!

Baal Predator is so gonna be in Raven Guard colors now.

That'll probably be it because Codecies are coming out that may start closing some doors. So, I'm not going to invest time and money into models I'll not need ... Except for the Baal Predator because ... LEAD FARMING!

Personally more of a napalm man myself -deep breath- ahhhhh, love the smell of cooked heretic in the morning.

It works for me because I've already got some Space Marines, some Skitarii, and I've always wanted to add in some Tempestus Scions and other things.

But then, the question of buying the Dark Imperium starter set aside, my next project will be Thousand Sons, so it's not like I'm going to stick to one faction.

For the moment, 'Adeptus Astartes' looks like it'll be in play for all my army lists. Already played a few games with Black Knights alongside Baal Predators (impressed with the Baal Predators, a little underwhelmed with the Black Knights).

Chapter master Nisk Ran-Thawll says my Mentor Legion get to experiment with some tech...which I'm taking as an excuse for some Baal Predators and either a Nephilim or a Dark Talon (either way I'll built it without the shrine-bitz...which will be great for making an Objective) in Mentors colours. Green fuselage and white wings, with the raised Aquila markings on the wings done in red :tu:

I imagine I'll be mixing my Templars with some of my Templars. Maybe just a dash of Templars as well.

Replace Templar with Wolves and that's me as well.

Well, yea. Me too.

Wolves (40k), Wolves (30k), (Primaris) Wolves with (Fenrisian) Wolves and (Thunder)Wolves, all waiting for the Wolftime and the Wolf King.

(...the meme is strong in this sentence.)

There is still so much to do, before I can start work on Leman Russ...

...but Sprinkle in a handful of Custodes and SoS from BoP

I plan on using both pure armies (Templars, Ultramarines, Mechanicus), as well as having a mix-and-match force lead by an Inquisitor - the handful of forces that owe him service for whatever reason, or the few squads he was able to gather on short notice to fight [insert foe] - his chosen acolytes, a squad of Sororitas, some Mechanicus, a handful of Guard, a Knight, maybe some Space Marines, etc.

I've done a fun 2500 ish list which contains loads of stuff I could run together... 

Battalion Detachment <Imperium>  [978]

Drop Pod, containing all the below....

• Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
  • 4 Acolytes with plasmaguns
  • Deathwatch Librarian
  • 2 Deathwatch with Frag Cannons
  • 4 Deathwatch with Shotguns

10 man Space Marine Tactical Squad with Plasma, Combiplasma and Lascannon 

5 man Space Marine Tactical Squad with Plasma, Combiplasma 

5 man Space Marine Tactical Squad with Plasma, Combiplasma 

Super Heavy Aux Detachment <Questor Imperialis (Knights)> [471]

Knight Warden with Avenger Gatling and Gauntlet

Battalion Detachment <Adeptus Mechanicus> [1112]

Belisarius Cawl

Tech Priest Dominus

3 Shooty Kastelan Robots 

1 Datasmith

5 Skitarii Rangers with arquebus

5 Skitarii Rangers with arquebus

3 Kataphron Breachers with Torsion Cannon

Could add a few more bits and bobs but that's 2486 I think.  Always loved the idea of an inquisitor leading a force like that to war.   Probably a bit low on dudes to actually win a game - I think a 3000 point force would need 500 points of boots on the ground.

tl;dr - a lot of mix and match

Edited by Silentz

I think  I will stick with my Space Marines, although I think I will be throw in a Knight or two now and again.

Maybe now that they are just bigger vehicles I will actually get to play them without people freaking out. :D

I'm going full on Primaris but continuing with my Castellans of the Imperium theme.

I'm putting together blocks of roughly 500 pts of various Imperial factions for narrative purposes. I've always been a huge fan of the Imperial Crusade with all the elements combining to represent an Imperial force rather than just pure space marine or pure guard.

Hopefully the option to cheese it up will be slim but I can still see some trying to take advantage.

I think my ideal would be Astartes, Admech, Guard and Battle Sisters combined supported by a knight.

I'm planning on finally painting up my custodes army with assassins support. Depending on playtesting that may be too vulnerable to the massed plasma and horde spam so I might end up having to ally in something else to help out.

I will feel kind of sad painting a land raider in custodes colours, I'd much rather be able to field some of my FW custodes goodies.

"Stupid" :dry.: Blood Angels Reclusiarch checking in...

Personally, I'll be sticking to what I have. So that's the odd Assassin, Knight, or Inquisitor popping up every now and then. Personally, I like (and in my Faction's case, feel the need for) the synergy that our Characters give so switching too much out will detract from that. Isn't there a problem with Command Points as well if I end up using a BA list with, say, Crusader Squads as Troops?

I don't know to be honest. I'm only starting to think about coming into 40K after being out for three editions and looking to play 30K.

But I'm definitely going to make a Raptors army, probably a Demi Company of Marines with additional support from the other Companies (I know it's no longer a formation but it seems to be a good number of "standard" guys). Might do a small Guard contingent with them too representing some "Orphans of Cadia" who've hooked up with a Raptors force and are looking to kick some teeth in.

I'll be adding in various "flavor" units to my angry yellow men, the Baal for sure, but maybe also some Storm Fangs, a Corvus or two, some more Nephilims, definitely a Librarian Dread and a blender dread too, oh and a dreadknight, all suitably modified of course. Who knows if it's tactically sound but it'll look cool!