How much will you mix and match?

As Race has mentioned, all of this mixing and maxing might be temporary so I'm not going to mixing too much between Astartes.  I'd probably have 1-2 different colored Astartes in one force.  I'm more of a tradionalist I guess.

Primaris and normals of the same Chapter at best, but probably not at all and play either pure normals or pure Primaris. Not enough keyword synergy. Maybe just to get the odd Scout squad, Speeder or tank, but that is it. Edited by Immersturm

I'll be tempted to try dropping a command point for a Vindicare assassin in my blood angels list. Always been one of my favourite models both function and flavour wise. I think we might see alot more one off assassins in imperial lists from now on.

I mixed Imperial units in 7th and will continue to do so in 8th.

My main forces are Blood Angels and Imperial Guard, which I can play mono or as a mix. I also have a bunch of Space Wolves waiting to be built and some things I'm intending to be Codex Marines (probably Imperial Fists). I'll likely change things up game by game as I do now, sometimes playing a pure faction and other times mixing factions. It will mean certain characters can't buff other units in my army but A. I like to change things up rather than always using the same and B. I like to paint different factions. It's not any kind of attempt to exploit the system (in fact the opposite now, the way many buffs are tied to chapter keywords).

I only play friendly games though, nothing competitive :smile.:

Edited by Thoridon

Not going to be adding any new units for some time. I need to get some games of 8th edition in first to see how things are going to work together. May try to mix my guard and Fists for a battle or two and see how it plays. It seems command points might be useful so mixing units may not be as awesome as we think.

My plan was to have a proper individually playable SM and Guard force anyway but if this makes it easier to use them in the same army that's fantastic. If down the line it gets picked down I'm sure I'll find an opponent who's happy to forge the narrative.

It's genuinely gotten my mind racing for fluff for my alliance, how they came to meet, why they operate at what seems a more integrated level than might be expected.

Main issue coming to mind is tournaments that restrict this for any reason. One I hear that is to be held in 8th edition states 'Factions must share at least 2 faction keywords' which seems odd...considering that Tau and eldar ran around arm in arm in 7th.

How much will you mix and match?

A lot.

But I plan on only using units with the <Chapter> sub-keyword. All the guys talking about Baal Predator non-BA builds are basically describing 7E Imperium of Man mixed armies, which is not to my taste. Although I do think the Baal Predator has by far the best Predator model with that cool fuel tank and rear turret shrouding. I used to think about buying one just to count as a Deimos Predator Infernus.

Sure, I'm tempted to put my Imperial Guard in alongside my Space Wolves, but there's a few considerations that have to be made first...

Aside from not a lot of either army being built and painted enough for me to feel good about using them there's the fact that the bases aren't quite matching and it'd throw off my seeing them all as a unified force.

I might go back and fix that but I've got enough work ahead of me.

I am enthusiastic about putting one (or both) of my Imperial Knights in alongside either force... once they're built and painted.

Main issue coming to mind is tournaments that restrict this for any reason. One I hear that is to be held in 8th edition states 'Factions must share at least 2 faction keywords' which seems odd...considering that Tau and eldar ran around arm in arm in 7th.

That's 6th you're probably thinking of. 7th split those two up and they became standalone for the most part. I agree with the regulation that keywords must be shared. Call me a purist, but when I see a unit of Fenrisian Wolves led by Dark Angels and supported by Ultramarine Psykers, it makes me rather displeased at the game and the player using it. Though whether it is necessary is up for debate as there are no more death stars and synergies outside of an army. I suppose it is there to stop people packing in Wraith Knights in their Tau army.

My current plan is to not work on the unfinished marines and go full primaris when all the edits are available.

I might finish a Thousand Sons list, but not likely to add non-Tzeentch units.

I think I may actually go back to xenos in this edition.

Well, the Talons of the Emperor list is going to require me to mix and match to field a legal army :(

Custodes have troops, elite and heavy support, Sisters or Silence only have elite and dedicated transports.

I will need to ally in 2 HQ options to field a battalion detachment. 

I played a pure Space Marine force and had some trouble with heavy armor. So I added in an Imperial Knight and really had a good time this weekend. I have to say, I have never had this much fun playing 40K ever.

I don't intend to mix and match very much. I might wind up using some of my old stuff if I ever really needed a bigger army, but I'm not sure that'll be an issue.

That said, I have always wanted a Deathwatch Kill Team... a lone squad, not an army; if you're using more than a single squad you're not playing Deathwatch, you're cosplaying as them!

The mini-codex for Primaris Marines states all marines in a detachment (though not in a battleforged army) must be from the same chapter...

However everything else I've read in the indexes and this month's WD seems to contradict this or at least, doesn't mention this limitation.

Is this just a mistake in the Primaris codex? Any thoughts or info on this anyone?

The mini-codex for Primaris Marines states all marines in a detachment (though not in a battleforged army) must be from the same chapter...

However everything else I've read in the indexes and this month's WD seems to contradict this or at least, doesn't mention this limitation.

Is this just a mistake in the Primaris codex? Any thoughts or info on this anyone?

The rules for the armies in those type of box sets have always been a little unique. I would go with Indexes and main rule book over box set pamphlets.