Eldar Corsairs questions

hushrong

I was looking for the rules of Corsairs, and the wargear options are good with access to CW & DE weaponry, sunburst grenades and brace of pistols are cool. But not having any access to transports is really unfitting for a supposed fast & agile army. And the Abilities... Well, the Dancing one is [REDACTED] it even penalizes you with losing one additional model :lol:

I was hoping at least for Venoms.

Anyway, with all the work FW have right now I wouldn't expect any FAQ/updates soon :(

Hope I'm wrong BTW.

I've still actually been trying to play them.

Things I've learned...

Last edition, we were actually surprisingly decent in combat due to the army wide Prince abilities and pistols giving extra attacks and poison/original void blades on felarches. And had many cheap HQs like barons and such (also with void blades) gave them that extra needed kick.

This edition, you need to try and stay as far away from combat as possible! Which is a real shame because the brace of pistols now have a shorter range, but are amazing! But you'll likely not survive long enough in combat to shoot the enemy with them.

But being that close means you absolutely will get charged... So you may as well do it yourself! Never ends nicely.

Survivability is waaaaaaay down too. Previously a guy with a jetpack received a 4+, and if you had a Baron in the squad with a shimmershield, they had a further 5++. And if you chose combat drugs as the Prince ability you could have potentially had +1 toughness also! That on a blob of 20 was great!

Mobility is actually pretty damn amazing with a backpacks speed of 16"! I'm on the fence whether it's better than last edition, because previously you only moved 6", but had assault moves of 2d6 and if you fired within a certain range on an enemy you moved 6+d6".so the Eldar trickery was far more trolling last edition, making us literally unchargable. (boy did I make my friends khorne bazerker army look pathetic, just jumping away and shooting. Was literally a boring and pointless game because he couldn't get into combat).

I'd say this time around with the big movement, we definitely have the alpha strike vibe. But the reduction of special weapons per squad hurts this idea.

The best special weapon by far though is the fusion gun, same stats as a blaster, less range, but double the damage and you can roll twice and pick the highest half range.

My last 3 games I've been playing for the pistols. But after realising it's far too dangerous for us up close (even playing as ynnari), I'm going to try shard carbines on everything for the fixed 3 shots with extra range. And shuriken cannons or blasters instead of fusion guns (again for the extra range).

I think this will work out the best, and just leave the pistols for overwatch or something.

I'll still be playing them as ynnari though, as there's no reason not too. And due to our squishy nature and poor leadership, it's alllllways worth paying for the felarches and staying with 5 man squads. Many times I would have lost a guy but didn't because I had the extra LD from a Felarch.

Plus having smaller squads helps playing as ynnari, since you're more likely to soulburst with nearby guys.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

• 2 weeks later...

Well our faq fixed the blades edge ability.

But Basically rubbed salt in the wound in regards to our HQs though.

Just read the FAQ, and I must admit that my hopes got VERY up when I started reading the last question regarding the princes and barons... Just to be VERY let down... Damn FW, what a missed opportunity! However this got me thinking that maybe this means that a Corsair book (either from FW... or GW) is coming, as then they wouldn't want to release content about them because it would quickly get outdated and may cause conflict with newer rules. Please let that be true.

But right now I'm simply pissed with FW, it may be the first time that they've let me down, but damn, it's been hard.

• 3 months later...

There's been some rumours that the chapter approved will include FW units. Including Eldar and corsairs!

So here's hoping we get a usable army and they fix the keywords for them so we can use stratagems, transports and character auras x

• 4 months later...

I think until we get a proper update, it could be pretty simple to just ask people whether they're okay with swapping at least some transports in to the FW list. I was having a great time with Corsair Falcons and Vypers, and I think most players are reasonable enough to appreciate that we could take them in 7th.

Lack of HQ is also super annoying, but again there's nothing keeping you from just taking an existing Eldar HQ and using an appropriate model... dropping [Craftworld] or [Drukhari] for [Corsair] is rules-wise pretty neutral IMO and would at least make a Corsair list feasible.

Simply put, just build what you want and ask your opponents if a few 'bends' in the rules are okay for the time being.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so some good news. The latest FAQ, in the imperial armour one. Its specifically says that we can use venoms and falcons and replace the key words to coterie!

Still no HQs or anything like a normal codex has. But definitely a step in the right direction!

Also confirms that we can use the updated costs and profiles of weapons in the deldar/eldar codecies. (might has seen obviousl already, but now clarified).

I've been tinkering with the idea of Elf Space Pirates for a long time. They were honeslty my first choice before I saw the Indexes and the lack of... variety. It's eventually why I chose to start my Heresy project and hold out hope for Elf Pirates in Spppppppppeeeeeeessssss to come out again at a later time.

Well FW will probably take their sweet sweet time. Apparently they had all kinds of issues with their corsair moulds, and most of their options dont actually exist as models either. So they're likely going to be re-released and revamped with an actual model range (well I hope so) but will likely take years as they prefer doing everything marines first.

Which makes me very sad! Considering ive got a whole armies worth of corsairs.... Waiting to be used.

Just to ask a dumb question, while I know per latest FAQ this is impossible, what Eldar HQ be the most like the old Princes? My gut says Autarch or Archons? (Through by extension if anyone wants to send me a DIY Prince via PM, I’d appreciate).

Wellll the simple answer is either.

prince's were actually really good in combat with their strength 4 base and +1 for void sabre. And certain coteries could increase the combat effectiveness even more.

And they also had the option for the corsairs back packs for speed.

So if an archon with husk blade and famed savagary worlord trait could take swooping hawk wings that would be the best homemade solution id say.

My main issue with the Archon is a 2++. I cannot think of something that would disqualify an Autarch however

how do you mean? The prince/Baron/void dreamer all had the option to take a shadowfield/shimmer shield and force shield.

Maaaan I miss our old cool corsairs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZU9r74w3cVfe0-7wC7_HyANokK1lD-i1-qvicsrojQ/edit

Homebrew Corsairs codex. Looks balanced. And interesting.

actually pretty cool! Kinda confusing with looots of rules and traits ect ect. Definitely a little crowded in that regard.

But definitely well presented and balanced.

• 5 months later...