Unit of the Week 8th: Assault Squads

Acebaur

I think the main benefit to Assault Squads, relative to any other comparable unit is that they are FA.  The Elite slot is saturated/bloated/swimming/barfing with units.  The Tactical slot is at the other end: basically empty.  The FA slot has a decent and varied mix, much like Elite, of infantry and vehicle.  In FA, the vehicle armor is lighter on average, but more mobile.

So, if there is a strength to not using JP, besides lowering cost, it is that they are FA.  I agree that upcoming CT may be more impactful to their benefit, or they'll stay status quo.

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if this is the most resent thread on this topic.

I am getting my Astartes ready for battle after shelving them for close to 2 years. I use a lot of classic jump infantry. The bulk of my Marines are assault. After reading the new codex, I can't help but think jump assault Marines got much better.

Shock assault. I know all Marines get this but it helps assault Marines more then most. Their big problem was lack of hitting power. This combined with the fly rule means they will get to use this some 75% of the time or more.

Chapter tactics can now be used to help them. Whirlwind of Rage can boost the number of hits. Duellists is a option also but I'm not sure which one is better. I add in Hungery for battle forrl more threat range. Deep striking 9' from a target getting +1 inch to charge seems really good.

I think maybe I'm drunk on the 2 year old koolaid.

From what I have seen, you would be better off running them as vanguard vets instead. 

I have and use Vangaurd vets.  The dont count as fast attack though.  They are not much more expensive...

And the stormshields are dirt cheap.

Funny that this old post resurfaced around the same time that I was giving Assault Marines another look. I'm considering a squad of them with my Raven Guard since they fit the theme of the 3rd Company.

Stat-wise, I do wish they had an extra base attack to reflect their (mostly) melee role. Either way, I plan on using them to support a squad of Vanguard Veterans (also a planned purchase). I'll probably deploy them on the table, rather than deepstrike, and jump them up alongside some bikers. They'll hopefully draw a healthy amount of fire away from any of my long range units sitting in my deployment zone.  

I've added a full squad of Assault marines with plasma recently to one of my lists and I'm looking forwards to giving it a try as part of my 2 turn hit. Quite cheap, not totally dependant on getting the charge off because of the three plasma shots but if they do it's 31 attacks plus a big chance of mortal wounds from using Hammer of Wrath.