DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Those painted knights came out fantastic! Leadbelcher worked like a charm over the spray?

As for the face-filled shield I'm on the fence. Are you going to make some changes to it to Nurglify it? Personally I think it would be cooler if those were nurgling faces. It'd be awesome if you could chubby the cheeks up and ad some horns to those faces.

Thanks guys

@Auggy: I contacted the guy just a little while ago about the kit. I don't think it's available yet, but when it is I'm all over it.

@hush: nah, I'm just going to paint it in my flesh recipe. I think it'll look good enough and will contrast the dark colors of the surrounding carapace and rust.

And yeah, the Leadbelcher from the pot worked over the Leadbelcher spray well. Good enough to get the job done.

Thanks guys

@Auggy: I contacted the guy just a little while ago about the kit. I don't think it's available yet, but when it is I'm all over it.

Let us know when it's available? :lol:

Because I'm also interested in that thing :drool:

OH... I just saw this beauty of a kit on dakkadakka...

[image removed]

... so suffice to say I just purchased another Knight :devil:

:eek:

All I have to say is is there a tzeentch version? :woot:

You've been busy. Even with the spray paint hiccup. I was thinking a Matt varnish might fix it, old news now.

Go for it with the shield, looks like Nurglings.

That new design upgrade for a Nurgle knight looks the part. Seems to have the same ideas you've been putting into yours. I'm looking forward to seeing that!

Alright, I need honest opinions brothers. I played Kill Team, I loved it. A bit too conservative when it comes to upgrades and customization, but one does what one must to play. My idea is to expand upon my Plague Marine I had made earlier from an Anakatis Blade Slave, creating an entire Kill Team out of Gal Vorbak (because there's only two Blade Slaves and it would get boring with all that samey same). 

I'm... on the fence with them so far. Yes, they still need green stuff to bulk them out somewhat... I also feel like I've just about lost all the Gal Vorbak-ness to them by doing this. I also didn't want to give them all distended stomachs like Manraz Sgott, that would be too samey as well. Should I continue down this path or go another route? To be fair, I do have a ton of Plague Marines I could simply play with, but I felt like Kill Team would be an opportunity to create something unique. And these guys are still much larger than regular Death Guard. So what do you guys say?

H5avoSwl.jpg

Still unsure how I'll arm Plague Marine #1. One idea is to make him a simple Bolter Marine, or perhaps wielding a Banner. When I played my first game this guy was armed with a Bubotic Axe and Mace of Contagion. Afterwards I realized that the lack of ranged firepower was a bit of a mistake, sooo... any thoughts?

H3IRkiAl.jpg

And by the way, Sgott himself is getting a weapon swap to a Plasma Gun (represented by a Plasma Blaster). His gigantic cleaver is a counts-as Power Fist. People will just need to accept this because it looks awesome.

xUSDqCfl.jpg

Blight Launcher Plague Marine #2 may actually stay quite wiry. I like the idea of a gaunt, almost skeletal minion of Nurgle. Perhaps hollow out his stomach cavity a bit more... empty? Guy on the end has a Flail of Corruption but I still need to add the hurty end.

KUmBxjQl.jpg

oPgZpdYl.jpg

So again, what do you guys think? Worthwhile pursuit? Purge and start anew? Waffles?

The Gal Vorbak conversions work really well, I aksi think the leaner legs are good; there's too much focus on bloat and obesity in the work that people have done on Nurgle.

I think it's mainly the first two pictured that need it more than the others. I'm contemplating adding an elephantitis foot to one akin to my corrupted Knight... which reminds me, I need to share some progress photos soon with everyone. The armour is painted and I've begun on the flesh (then onto the rust.. ugh). 

The Gal Vorbak conversions work really well, I aksi think the leaner legs are good; there's too much focus on bloat and obesity in the work that people have done on Nurgle.

I agree that the one with the blight launcher and goat legs looks fine, but the other two definitely need some bulking up in the legs. Remember, every depiction of a marine out of his armor is like a professional bodybuilder and those weedy legs just won't do. 

I'd say you're progressing fine, Dusk, and my only real comment is to make that hurty end of the plague flail REAL hurty. 

I like what I am seeing and I am definitely taking notes for when I start on the Luperci! So thanks in advance for that :)

Blight Luancher #2 looks great. I honestly thing if you could hollow out his gut that would be a great look. Not all of Nurgles followers have to be round, bloated things. The looked of a withered corpse, due to the life-leeching effects of disease and cancer are very appropriate as the body would wither away.

The guy with the flail is the best looking gal vorbak turned plague marine with the gut armor out of the lot. From the angles I see it does sit up higher but you can see his lower half well with his motion. I am definitely excited to see him finished up with a head and the hurty bits.

The other two fellas just need a bit more TLC. There is nothing wrong with them at all but I think they need some more 'umph' to really come across as plague marines since they have the big gut armor. I agree about bulking up the legs as others have said. I also think something like entrails hanging out of damaged armor would look sweet.

And Sgott. That dude is practically BAE in my eyes. He is perfect.

Definitely keep this course for your team!

Thanks guys, I guess I'll soldier forth with these. I think I'll give the unarmed guy a Bolter and Icon of Despair. IMO I need more ranged weaponry. I'm still on the fence about that too. Obviously the Axe and Mace do a decent job in CC and would definitely give me a reason to use some cool weapons.

Gah! This is harder than I had anticipated...

A visual guide to my conundrum:

Bubotic Axe and Mace of Contagion

utRL1wl.jpg

Icon of Despair (he'd have a spare Necrosius banner on his back)

YdMXPqG.jpg

I know this doesn't help tactically, but rule of cool wins the day... obv.

I still haven't decided on the Plague Marine, but I think I have decided on my next Knight (or the one after the one I currently possess). I currently have one unbuilt and that one is going to be assembled in a twin-Avenger Gatling Cannon configuration. As such, I'll probably keep the mutation again down to a minimum. In my head, the Knights armed with ranged weaponry are still piloted by a (mostly) human nobleman... although I suppose the word "noble" is a bit of a loose term nowadays with Makabius. 

No, after this one I think I'm going in quite a different direction. I had always planned on two Gallant-type Knights. Originally, the second would be utilizing the 3rd party kit I had shown earlier (and one still may), but I've had this idea floating around in my noggin for some time. As you may have seen in Augustus' thread, I've been thinking of incorporating a Feculant Gnarlmaw into the carapace of a Knight. 

After seeing the mock up and thinking on it, what I would probably do is cut it down 1-2/3rd of the way up and mounting it at the left rear, probably half way on the left pauldron and at an angle back. Have the mouth creeping across the carapace and the idea I was thinking for the cockpit was having roots or one giant one going into it and the cockpit latch itself (and perhaps the moldering corpse of the pilot) kind of melded into the root, like when a tree grows around an object. For the tentacle-things I had a thought of adding skulls to the ends and making them like something of an anemone, perhaps feasting on a victim. The idea would be like a mobile Garden of Nurgle.

Now ideas are great and all, but time will tell if I can actually make this come to fruition. Knights themselves aren't cheap, let alone a Gnarlmaw and any other components I may want to use for this plan (probably some of the Deathworld / Aeldari vegetation for root systems / other details, etc.). 

For now I've been applying transfers to my Knights and going with the idea BCK had suggested previously. It's been... difficult. It's not as though I'm simply applying them to Knight armour plating, I have to try to fit them around the myriad of details and corruption on these damned things, both of my own creation and that of Forge World. I probably should have used larger transfers on some of it (most notably the leg plating), but what are you going to do? I have little blank area to work with unfortunately...

The flesh itself is almost done, then it's onto the small details like buboes and then... rust. I'll try to get some pics up of the current progress tomorrow if I can remember. Until then!

These guys must be huge. The blight launchers look like pistols on them! I can see what you mean about liking the original models and possibly losing something in the conversion. But you have got something unique on your hands here and they are going to make a fearsome kill team.

Can you magnetise them for different weapon options? Not played Kill Team yet but assume variety would be a plus. You can always put the worst guy for that particular match up at the front.

Your next Knight idea sounds off the :censored: ing chain! In a good way. I've seen a knight with a Gnarlmaw on the top but yours sounds like it is going to make much more of that and have it really integrated into the design. It sounds very exciting, I'm hoping you can pull off at least some of these ideas. It is also reminding me of the crew on the chaos warhound with their fingers stretching into the machinery, but with roots this time.

Looking forward to this stuff.

Those are actually Grave Warden Launchers. I used all of my Blight Launchers on my actual army so these were my next best option. They work well, especially with the Gal Vorbak.

Someone else has used a Gnarlmaw on a Knight? I'd love to see that.

Speaking of Knights, I think I'm overdue for an update. I've been working on these for a couple weeks now so let's see where we are.

A lot of time was spent on the grey. It's been highlighted as best as I'm willing to go. Transfers have also been added. I'm not sure how I feel about the House inconography on the left pauldrons. I think they're a bit too small but the corruption hogs so much space on the pauldrons. Not much real estate to work with.

The flesh is done, I just have to add the Blood for the Blood God to the buboes and start on some areas of innards or whatever. The face shield hasn't been completed either, so I'll finish that... then it's onto the rust. I'm really starting to hate doing the rust.

Close Combat Knight

kH2MT6n.jpg

vlNTERc.jpg

P3yf5TZ.jpg

Tha91Qs.jpg

V2Hqp0e.jpg

b9t0cxh.jpg

veY5bmT.jpg

IeY6Gvl.jpg

ql3KZiB.jpg

pzc7Sdp.jpg

XCJXwKs.jpg

Twin-Thermal Cannon Knight

q5LY5CX.jpg

TwcEw0j.jpg

zo2kxXT.jpg

dCsc1Is.jpg

TzvhDRs.jpg

I'm on my mobile device right now so I'm using a mobile version of the website. I believe it's page 11?

As for the white, my best advice is two coats of each color over the white. I used to use nothing but black but I found the colors were (obviously) always too dark. With white primer it seems everything just pops. Washes also help a lot with white primer, especially in the recesses (and also show up a lot better).

Oh man, that Knight is already looking really, really good.

Amazing work. Just wow. Would you mind linking your flesh recipe again? I know i saw it somewhere on your thread.

Also, any tips for painting with white prime coat? I'm terrified to prime white!

It's right here.

Actually DuskRaider, perhaps you could link to your tutorials in your first post? Might make it easier in case people want to borrow them instead of having to trawl through your thread :lol: