DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Good. GODS!  Inspiring stuff! Just wow!  I was knocking some ideas around about nurgly mechanicus and such to add to my army, this has definitely given me some more things to think about. And some of the stuff you have come up with is eerily close to what I had in mind (I blame Tzeentch.... he's a jerk)  Just really great stuff! I love those crypt ghoul kits, I've had some great fun making poor little critter/servitor/mule like characters with them. Your guys kick it up a notch

Edited by rednekkboss

I'm definitely digging it! Besides converting minis fluff is what keeps me interested in this hobby so I love seeing those two come together. I need to work on some myself but those dang hobby butterflies keep swarming!

@rednekk: thank you kindly, sir. Mechanicus is just too damn cool to let the lapdogs of the false emperor have all the fun. Crypt Ghouls are such a great kit for things like this, as are the new Nighthaunt models. In desperately trying to stop myself from going full into that range to create more.

@hush: oh, absolutely man. The fluff is what keeps me going in this hobby. Games Workshop has built such an immersive world that you could get lost in the lore for years. I think we take it for granted, I didn't think much about it until one of the guys at work decided he wants to get into Kill Team and I was trying to explain everything to him.

Yeah. Most of my friends love gaming and are familiar with basic lore. Just one other guy in my group can spend whole gaming sessions going over fluff. It's good fun and I love how open it is that you can take something and make it your own. I like a few other game systems but they just don't provide that fluff itch (existing fluff and for me to make up my own) at that same caliber for me.

And yeah, trying to introduce WH40K to new blood is a fun experience. When my friend had his store I remember a couple who were checking out the Dark Vengeance box asking questions about the background. I felt like one of those door-to-door religious types asking if you want to hear about the great struggle of Chaos vs everything else.

No visual updates to speak of (rest assured I am working on some things long past due), but more of a battle-ish report. I played a Knights v. Knights game with my son yesterday, my two House Makabius Knights against his two House Cadmus Knights. Some observations:

1) Pure Knight v. Knight games are VERY quick and seem to be very bloody

2) Avenger Gatling Cannons are kind of bunk against Knights. The amount of shots are great, that you need 5s to wound isn't so much. My son's Warden did no damage at all through 3 rounds of shooting with his. Either it didn't wound at all or it was ignored via Armour saves.

3) Thermal Cannons, on the other hand, are VERY good. My Twin-Thermal Knight was able to strip 12 wounds in one round of shooting, so half of the Warden's wounds gone in a literal flash.

4) Never underestimate the utility of the Reaper Chainsword. Doing a flat 6 damage per wound is pretty nasty, I've come to find.

He pretty much tabled me while barely surviving himself. Unfortunately, I miscalculated the room he had to counter-charge my CC Knight with his Gallant the turn after I slammed into his Warden. 2 v. 1 Knights is bad. My CC Knight survived 2 rounds of combat before going down. The next turn I unloaded my Twin-Thermal Cannons into the leading Warden (I had done so to his Gallant first turn, causing 8 wounds)  but he assaulted me and dragged me down. The Gallant couldn't make it being reduced to 4 wounds. Titanic Feet is definitely no match for even a single Reaper Chainsword and it became a race to see who would go down first. I drew the short straw on that one. In all, it was a lot of fun and we'll probably have another match tomorrow. 

Too t

Oh, okay then.
Sorry I don't even remember posting that. Weird.

Either way, great work on the khorne stuff, very inspiring. And that brain creature gives me ideas. Not that I need any more projects to worry about.

Not a huge wolf fan but it'll be nice to see what you do with them.

Edited by TURBULENCE

Either way, great work on the khorne stuff, very inspiring. And that brain creature gives me ideas. Not that I need any more projects to worry about.

Not a huge wolf fan but it'll be nice to see what you do with them.

Dk2J2NY.gif

Wow Dusk you've let rip on these guys. Love it. Dark Mechanicum have been an interesting proposition for me ever since reading Titanicus. Glad to see your version, Nurgle too.

The new Cawdor parts are working a treat on these guys. The box of skulls is proving very useful once again. The big spore thing is great. On and off for maybe a decade I've been tempted to make a krell so this is really interesting to see this sort of structure.

Creepy goodness.

Thanks man. Dark Mechanicum are one of the elements of 40K you'd think GW or FW would explore more, but thus far gotten very little background. Pretty odd considering the Chaos Legions, Knight Households and Titan Legions are supplied and maintained by them to various degrees.

It seemed like FW would start to cover them in 30K, but with all the garbage going on there it seems less and less likely. I would love to see a proper 40K army as well, but it's probably a pipe dream at this point.

And yeah, I suppose the Abominable Intelligence Construct (or the spore model) would make a good base for Enslavers as well.

Hey guys,

So I finally received my Ikea display cabinet. I had ordered it over a month ago but there was a huge shipping issue for all of New York and New Jersey so the delay was insane. I don't have a store near me and the closest is in New Jersey but I'm not keen on visiting landfills, so I went with the online order. Never again.

The main reason I got this was to free up space elsewhere in my house. I have a ton of Rubber Made containers of various sizes with models in my closets, in my attic, in my kitchen cabinet, etc. Another reason was to safely store my Warhound. Well, come to find out it doesn't fit. Or at least not in this cabinet. I didn't try, it's still in pieces and after putting all of my Death Guard and most of my Nurgle Daemons (along with my son's Ad Mech and Knights), I realized I need another one. Sigh... 

But here it is right now. I may re-organize it a bit and I still have to finish basing a lot of my stuff. Next thing will probably be the Knights, though. Not to mention I have two more I have to build and as you can see below, they're sure as hell not fitting in this one.

WxzMaMDh.jpg

hRcvtZPh.jpg

zRy18Vzh.jpg

3NEiyGzh.jpgfJfZoTih.jpg

Yeah but you escaped it Eldrick. I'm willing to bet you're not even moderately mutated, which is a small miracle no doubt. 

Shipping wasn't bad, only $40 but when that's almost the cost of the product itself it makes it a little hard to justify. My friend is going to NOVA next weekend and said he may swing by Paramus to pick up some stuff and will most grab me another Detolf. I almost let him bring my Knights for whatever paint competition there is but they're not based and I don't like the idea of leaving my models in anyone else's care, so that idea was quickly shot down. I highly doubt they'd place anyhow, my stuff doesn't really fit into the popular techniques that win in those things. 

That reminds me though, I will have to get bases for them soon. I'm torn between going with DragonForge Trench Bases seen HERE and HERE (while using THIS and perhaps THIS for no-man's land) to match my Death Guard or going with Tech Bases such as THIS and THIS (maybe mixing THIS, THIS, and THIS in despite the cobblestone) to represent their Assault on Antioc M.36. Obviously I want cohesion and I'd feel odd fielding two different bases in the same army, but the rest of my Dark Mechanicus and Kill Team / INQ28 stuff would share the bases as they're also in that timeline. 

Thoughts?

Thanks, hush! 

I hate posting things without an update (I promise you I'm working on things right now but not the Knight or Dark Mechanicum), but I just noticed this on Warhammer Community:

15BBNurgle.jpg

Those dopey looking Rhino and whatever the hell else that is there? That's GW's newest iteration of the Pestigor. I'm so glad I made my own, if I waited until these came out I would have probably cried myself to sleep. The other models in this Bloodbowl box look really promising for other ideas... picture all those leftover Cawdor weapons I have, but these guys wielding them. Mhmmm... I think that may be the next thing. Probably as Cultists or something, I'm not really sure. Especially since Death Guard can't take Cultists in Kill Team which is... really stupid.