DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

That looks infected. I think you need a good topical antibiotic.....and maybe a steroid shot.   And possibly some Round Up weed killer.

Looking great so far! I'll echo my esteemed colleagues in saying "bravo" on the color choices.

Edited by rednekkboss

You know what it reminds me of with those colours? Have you seen the Natalie Portman film Annhialation, on Netflix? Well there's some awesome visiuls in it. At one point there is this dead soldier in an empty swimming pool, sitting in a chair up against the tiled wall. It's turning into all this weird, crazy, colourful fungus and plantlife, spreading all up the wall behind it. It looked wicked.

Your colours and obviously the organic nature remind me of that.

It's a very good thing

Well with a little Miracle Grow, a sacrifice or two and some mulch from Nurgle's Garden you too can have your own portable Feculant Gnarlmaw.

Keep your eyes peeled tonight or tomorrow, I'll have a BIG update ;)

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks guys! I realized while doing the anemone that they do remind me a bit of Tzeentchian daemon colors, mainly Flamers of Tzeentch. When I first did these on my Death Guard, I took a lot of inspiration from the animal kingdom and coloration being used as universal language. Bright bold colors usually mean an organism is toxic and so I wanted to use that when it came to these symbiotic polyps that are found throughout my Nurgle armies. 

I was really hoping to have some eye candy for you folks tonight but unfortunately I haven't been able to apply the transfers to the models. You may not know this, but I actually do most of my painting at work due to being on the over night shift but I highly doubt my co-worker would appreciate my use of Micro-Sol & Mirco-Set in a small room and I simply ran out of time to do it at home earlier due to decorating the Christmas tree with the kids tonight. Rest assured tomorrow I will have them applied and fingers crossed will have pictures and (hopefully) a huge lore dump for you. These may also tie into a larger 40K project soon, so we will see if I can get motivated enough to complete the bases for my Knights, Dark Mechanicum, and various other models I've shown over the past year or so. 

+++Genetor Denebrae log spool 9144.25+++

+++Accessing data tether+++

++_CLEARANCE REQUIRED: LEVEL ALPHA_++

+++Granted+++

+++Entry Title: OBSERVATIONS ON THE FALL OF ANTIOC+++

+++SPOOL SEARCH: MAKABIUS+++

+

++

+++

+--Search Results Display--+

"... on the 37th day, the orbital bombardment had finally ceased and the enemy loosed something much more sinister on Antioc's battered surface. The damned of HelForge [REDACTED] were supported in large number by the twisted machines of House Makabius..."

"... my observations have indicated that most of the Questoris stalking the corridors of Hive [REDACTED] still carry their Imperial signifiers. At this time my adjutants have complied a list of no less than fifty war machines identified as Makabius assets, most so deformed that their origins are only known via their signifiers..."

"... Day 72: I witnessed something most peculiar. Makabius Questor Designate - Irae Throni appears to have megaflora attached to it's carapace.

+++Incoming pict load+++

vtSoxFgh.jpg

+++ ACCESSING SIGNIFIER INFORMATION +++

Affiliation: House Makabius / HelForge [RETRACTED] (formerly Forge World [REDACTED])

Designation: Irae Throni, Throne of Wrath

Pilot: Andrus Makabius (absorbed)

Origin: Forge World Mezoa (Great Crusade Era), Mars-Alpha Pattern

Notes: A great deal of observation was spent on this Questor. The carapace has become host to a Feculant Gnarlmaw (Dendroputrificus perdifii) which in turn has modified the frame to accommodate it's girth. This species of floral taint is not unknown to the Biologis but this is the first time it has been witnessed anchored to a functional machine. See below for further notations on this species of Warp flora.

The Feculant Gnarlmaw, classification Dendroputrificus perdifii, has been observed throughout the borders of the Imperium of Man, particularly in areas where daemonic infestation is or has recently occurred but can be encountered centuries after an incursion has been put down. This coniferous plant is extremely hardy and can be found in virtually any environment. D. perdifii is unique in that although its origins are daemonic, the plant itself is not and therefor is not reliant on Warp energy to exist. The tree is, however, carnivorous, and can quickly reduce local fauna population quickly if left unchecked. It is known to eat humans and other humanoid xenos, this seems to be its preferred prey. 

D. perfidii has the ability to generate its own soil from excrement as tests have shown. This helps the tree grow and thrive in literally any condition, even (and especially) in Hive Cities and industrial areas. The bark or 'hide' of D.perfidii is an ecosystem itself, playing host to numerous species of fungi, mold and bacteria, some of which has never been found elsewhere. In addition to this, the tree often finds itself symbiotically paired with various species of polyp, ranging in size and role. Some, like Polypodivox interitus, assist the Gnarlmaw with enzymes to break down flesh and bone while others like the massive Myxzomi ruminatus defend the tree and help to cultivate excrement for soil distribution.

While the Feculant Gnarlmaw does not require Warp energy to thrive, if it is found within range of an Immaterium Anamoly it will display further behavior reminding the observer that it does originate from the Empyrean. D. perifidii's massive rotting boughs will begin to bear fruit or cones which gestate into sacs from which Bearers of Plague are birthed [Cross Reference notes obtained from Hospitalier Thalx]. The maw of D. perdifii has also been witnessed to regurgitate mature Daemons, although if this is an indication of internal gestation or a temporal gate to the Empyrean is currently unknown.

Observations of Irae Throni indicate that the inhabitant D. perdifii has the ability to repair or heal it's host Questor. Evidence of such can be seen in further pict captures which illustrate frame's relatively undamaged carapace where previous battles have left Questor in nigh irreparable condition. See additional pict files below:

+++ UPLOAD PICT BATCH REF. 0817.A+++

TUbZYxPh.jpg

ZvbJbxkh.jpg

33LPH91h.jpg

mhQczKBh.jpg

Y0bU9vwh.jpg

rqeRhvJh.jpg

Om2tCZ3h.jpg

Qm7NQGxh.jpg

sxqTBJwh.jpg

5SRLvv0h.jpg

+++ FURTHER RESULTS FOUND+++

"... Arch Magos Dalg of Antioc has reported sightings of anomalous Questor in Sector [REDACTED] actively engaging blessed Questoris of House Cadmus. Signifiers identify enemy as Malleo Honoris of House Hermetika. Records indicate frame had fallen in combat 013.M31 on Garmon III, a moon of Forge World Mezoa. Originally a Styrix-Pattern, the frame has now been extensively modified and takes to battle sans-Cheirovile, forsaking the archaeotech ranged weapon for a Reaper Chainsword of unknown origin. It seems as though House Makabius appropriated frame for further use under their banner..."

"... Former Malleo Honoris has now been identified as Misericordia of Household Makabius. Markings indicate pilot as Baron or descendant of nobility. Reclamation of frame has become high priority at the request of Fabricator Locum Kalida of Mezoa. Pict captures inbound, please disseminate to all Magos..."

+++ PICT LINK UPLOADING...+++

+++ UPLOAD COMPLETE+++

aUJDr0dh.jpg

+++ACCESSING SIGNIFIER INFORMATION+++

Affiliation: House Hermetika / Forge World Mezoa House Makabius / HelForge [REDACTED] (Formerly Forge World [REDACTED])

Designation: Malleo Honoris, Hammer of Honor Misericordia

Pilot: Balik Azsher UNKNOWN

Origin: Forge World Mars, Stryix-Beta Pattern

Notes: Per Imperial records dating to discovery of Baroda to their treachery, Household Makabius had never received nor was eligible to receive Styrix-Pattern Questoris, per the orders of Fabricator General [REDACTED]At the time of production, all Styrix-Pattern Questoris were manufactured exclusively on Mars until the Schism forced Loyalist factions to disseminate patterns elsewhere. This frame was produced 986.M30 and had seen extensive operations action with House Hermetika. 

Currently frame has been modified and retrofitted with secondary close combat weaponry as well as larger reactor to increase speed and field duration. Questor appears to be host to a form of pox or cyst. Field reports indicate ruptured buboes cause alloy in vicinity to rapidly deteriorate. Effect on flesh is similar but appears to be happenstance. Questor prominently displays gallows on carapace with heads of slain Mezoan Adepts, a tradition dating to the Heresy. Due to requisition status of frame, pilot and status are currently unknown. Data dump inbound.

+++PICT CAPTURE BULK DOWNLOAD INBOUND+++

PKlWMlXh.jpg

SchTShmh.jpg

4ERjBzRh.jpg

Apcg5Fwh.jpg

mGOlqQxh.jpg

bcuNrlIh.jpg

778tnH7h.jpg

ysGX80Kh.jpg

+++DATA SPOOL DISENGAGE+++

+++LINK END+++

PHEW.... well wasn't that long winded. I had been sitting on a lot of fluffy fluff for quite some time (there's still plenty more but I don't want to write a novel here). It feels like I was working on these for an ETERNITY. In the end I'm fairly pleased with the result. I was originally going to make the Stryix carapace brass in the middle instead of blue but I really wanted to continue the Household's heraldic scheme while changing it up a bit to make the Knight seem unique compared to the others. Funny enough, while the Misericordia was my favorite pre-paint, I think after finishing them both I've become partial to Irae Throni. I think it's the vibrant colors. I was hoping to get better posing out of the Gallant, but for some reason it just didn't seem to translate well. I may go back and make him a little more hunched over. 

I finally hit the Gellerpox Mutants with primer tonight so I'm starting on them as soon as I post this. I may actually pull this off before December 15th.... in the meantime, here's a group shot of my House Makabius completed thus far.

suN5coAh.jpg

Aaaawwww yyyyeeaaAAAHHHH!

ha ha ha, this is so VERY awesome. Ok man you have to get a game in with all these, I want to see them on a table. It's crimnal for these not to Benin action. Love the corrosion and decay, the tree has come out fantastic. These look really characterful... I love it

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

Thank you, sir. As for the other Knight(s), here's a link to the post back in August:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335253-duskraiders-40k-nurgle-an-experiment-in-flesh-and-machine/?p=5142638

As far as getting a game in? I'd love to, but I really don't want to field these against a normal 40K army. I'm waiting for my friend to get his Knights together se we can play a Knight v. Knight game... which was the idea when I started these but he has hobby ADD and got distracted by literally every release after Renegade was re-released.

Edited by DuskRaider

Oh that's brill, thanks buddy. Yeah these knights are great, I love how individual they are with their own features but have the same overall unifying aesthetic. Very cool.

Well you could always try Knights vs a bigger standard army or give him bunus CP? I just hate models disuse. Especially nice ones.

Outstanding work! And I echo what PBB said about their uniqueness, yet unified look- (I really need to get my mitts on a Knight!)  I love the tubes, they pop nicely and they play off the yellows. I think its a great color choice.  I know GW likes to pigeon-hole certain colors with certain gods, but .... its Chaos and like you were saying, its  a great play on natural colors and it works great with the other color choices. Beautiful job on both. Grandfather is pleased.

These are cool as hell. I love the fluff, too, really inspiring. Also, the soil around the roots of the gnarlmaw is one of many really great details that bring everything together here. Just fantastic work all around.

How on earth did you do that plaguebearer skull head on the Styrix?

Thanks guys!

@PBB: they'll eventually get use. I don't go to my FLGS much these days and most of the time my 40K hobby revolves around the uhh... hobby. I still occasionally get some games in, like tonight is paint and Kill Team night with my buddy. To me they're not officially finished until I finally figure out how to do the bases anyhow.

@rednek: much appreciated, sir. I really wanted to add more depth to the buboes on the Knight. It's such a large model and being it's only one of seven or eight models in the entire army (eventually) it needs that extra oomph. I've done my best to avoid any outright green on the models, Gnarlmaw excluded for a more textured / mossy look to it. I prefer to focus on the effects of Nurgle on flesh and steel over the same old trope.

@Urauloth: Thank you! Probably a little too long winded but I've been sitting on a lot of lore in my head and wanted to get it out. The head is one of the now OOP FW heads that's simply been modified with a horn from the Maulerfiend (I think). It also has a ruptured buboe over one of its other eyes.

Wooooooow... how did I think you were BCK?!

Must be because I'm on my mobile device and running on no sleep :(. Anyhow, I haven't picked up the Castellan yet due to the holidays and having to purchase not only a house but gifts for my brood. Rest assured, it will be mine soon enough, along with various upgrades from Shapeways and Etsy.

I do still have to finish the Armigers, though... and I haven't touched them since the last picture. So they still have a ways to go.

Edited by DuskRaider