Post-release roundtable: what worked? what didnt

Blackwinter

Space Wolves took the #5 spot at the Boise GT. His list consisted of a wolf priest, wolf guard battle leader, 3 five man blood claws packs with flamer and power axe, storm wolf, Lukas, rune priest, wulfen with 4 hammer/shield, land raider crusader, and 2 las/missile dreadnoughts. My guess is that Lukas and claws went into the storm wolf while the characters and wulfen piled into the land raider with the dreads providing fire support. Four drops total which gives a pretty good shot at going first. This list is interesting, and seemingly effective, but it puts the army into two very expensive baskets and seems susceptible to alpha strike and flyer heavy lists.

So I just ran the opposite of my tournament list, heavy shooting

Knight with battle cannon and gat

2 razors with grey hunters with plasma, plasma pistol and a power fist

Long Fangs 2x Las, 3x ml

Long fangs 2x pc, 3x pc

Hellblasters

Inceptor

Bjorn

I took on Custodes, sisters and Primaris. It started out very bad for me, but Bjorn really cleaned up. Bjorn was a beast, didn't die again (make him your warlord, give him the additional 6+, make your opponents cry in frustration). Hellblasters we're decent, they walked with bjorn. 7 games now and Bjorn killed his points x2, and didn't die. This time he wrecked sisters, and two squads of Custodes. My opponent was confident until Bjorn shredded the first unit. Again though, my long fangs were just ok. The knight was ok. The inceptor were fantastic, showing up on an objective high in a building and mowing down his Hellblasters.

I haven't gotten the chance to get many games in, outside of a game with a friend who plays Admech, but I can say this much: Terminators with TH/SS wreck shooting armies. I teleported in Arjac, Njal, and 8 Hammernators turn 1, aand they MAULED FACE. It was beautiful. Turn one they made their charge, wiped out a 2 man unit of...some sort of robot things which sorts looked like contemptor dreadnoughts, before splitting up, with Njal chasing down and killing a techpriest, Arjac going off to wreck his Arch Magos, and the Hammernators, who had only lost one model despite being the focus of most of his fire the turn after they dropped in, went on to take down some sort of walker thing and that big, scary looking four legged tank with the laser gun. My TWC, also with TH/SS combo, also performed well, running up the field and taking out two full units of their little base infantry guys, and my Venerable Dread, armed with a Fenrisian Greataxe and Blizzard Shield, wiped out the assassin type guys the admech have on turn one, before slowly walking up the field and missing out on me mopping up the rest of his forces. He conceded turn 3. Takeaway: Terminators are awesome now, TWC are still pretty awesome, Arjac's awesome, Njal's awesome, and Dreadnoughts are pretty awesome. 

Glad you had a blast and mopped up some folks. Your admech buddy should check into Electro Priests. It's one of their few, real, cc options. Apparently they dish out tons of wounds.

As for TH/SS setups, be careful. Without Logan for rerolls to hit, these guys can whiff pretty bad, what with hitting on 4's. Arjac helps by giving the extra attacks.

As for TH/SS setups, be careful. Without Logan for rerolls to hit, these guys can whiff pretty bad, what with hitting on 4's.

A Wolf Priest can fix the problem more cheaply.

Edited by Karhedronuk

Question for the Bjorn users, does the 6+ warlord trair stack with Legendary Tenacity? I've seen tons of people inferring that they do but curious as to the rationale, I sense pushback if i were to do this (hopefully tonight). 

Question for the Bjorn users, does the 6+ warlord trair stack with Legendary Tenacity? I've seen tons of people inferring that they do but curious as to the rationale, I sense pushback if i were to do this (hopefully tonight).

They are two separate Abilities, and neither are saves. I'd actually like to see the rationale that explains why you wouldn't get both.

Edited by Valerian

Jump Pack upgrades work wonders for the reroll issues, allowing them to jump back and forth without worrying about terrain or going through units. I'm putting a Storm Shield on a Battle Leader which will double as a Wolf Lord if I have the points. Chaplain if I'm planning a proper assault list.

Played a practice game of my Space Wolves against my Grey Knights today.  No opponent, so just going through the paces to make sure I'm good on all of the rules mechanics and all of the units' bespoke abilities.  Really impressed with how balanced the two forces ended up against each other.  

Did want to note that Bjorn charged a Dreadknight with a Nemesis Greathammer that had teleported in near a SW-side objective and did 25 Wounds to him in one round of close combat!  Holy cow, it was amazing.  Bjorn is pretty much a shoe-in as my SW Warlord from now on.  

Played a practice game of my Space Wolves against my Grey Knights today.  No opponent, so just going through the paces to make sure I'm good on all of the rules mechanics and all of the units' bespoke abilities.  Really impressed with how balanced the two forces ended up against each other.  

Did want to note that Bjorn charged a Dreadknight with a Nemesis Greathammer that had teleported in near a SW-side objective and did 25 Wounds to him in one round of close combat!  Holy cow, it was amazing.  Bjorn is pretty much a shoe-in as my SW Warlord from now on.  

what was his weapon load out?

I played a game last night with my GK buddy, and while I ended up conceding, it was such a "dice gods rule" game. I had a rather mixed result first turn, where I brought 2 units of WG with jump packs and combi-melta's, and due to his unit placement, I could only get 5 models in range for his land raider, with a result of leaving it at 1 wound left (grr). I also managed to miss EVERY shooting attack on the next round with the other unit, which should have pasted one of his dread knight. My gunship would have been MVP, but I miscalced his ability for ONE dude to move and charge (and me not able to hit once in overwatch, even with the disbursed hefrost destuctor), letting his two dread knights (with 2 and 6 wounds left at this point) come in and finish it off.

Our overall conclusion: GK can really only win vs SW when the SW player has failed to appease their dice gods, and that Bjorn is just nuts :) Yeah, he is an auto include in every list, although I prefer to give him a twin LC. The HPC has been pretty lackluster in overall results, even with overcharging.

I played a game last night with my GK buddy, and while I ended up conceding, it was such a "dice gods rule" game. I had a rather mixed result first turn, where I brought 2 units of WG with jump packs and combi-melta's, and due to his unit placement, I could only get 5 models in range for his land raider, with a result of leaving it at 1 wound left (grr). I also managed to miss EVERY shooting attack on the next round with the other unit, which should have pasted one of his dread knight. My gunship would have been MVP, but I miscalced his ability for ONE dude to move and charge (and me not able to hit once in overwatch, even with the disbursed hefrost destuctor), letting his two dread knights (with 2 and 6 wounds left at this point) come in and finish it off.

Our overall conclusion: GK can really only win vs SW when the SW player has failed to appease their dice gods, and that Bjorn is just nuts :smile.: Yeah, he is an auto include in every list, although I prefer to give him a twin LC. The HPC has been pretty lackluster in overall results, even with overcharging.

You hovered the Stormwolf?  Otherwise he can't charge a flyer.  I'm looking at ordering bits now to create jump pack WG, I love my TDA WG, but cost effectiveness of those jump packs looks sexy. 

Trueclaw did all of those 25 points of damage (5d6), but my Bjorn model also has a Heavy plasma cannon.

The sad thing is, in two fights, once against Magnus, and once against Swarmlord Bjorn whiffed in a round a combat, causing no wounds.  Every other time though, he has been a brutal champ.

I hovered the gunship, because I thought 2 twin multi-meltas, 2 lascannons, and the helfrost destructor would have been enough to destroy two already wounded dreadknights, and they were blocked by some rather high terrain features, so I had to be kinda close to hit them. I literally missed with ALL of the guns...after already having missed with 6 jump pack WG with combi-meltas.

With the Repulsor coming out soon, I wonder how running Razorback and Repulsor Spam might work. Repulsor spam being like two due to the cost, but they seem to be the MSU vehicle for Primaris.

Anyone have the stats on this Repulsor?

I don't have the stats, but just going by what weapons it can run.  Since it is a transport, with a decent weapon loadout, to me it is like the big brother to the RB and little brother to the Land Raider.

played my first game of 8th,

Wulfen: 1 pack leader, 1 naked, 2 x th ss, 1x ga

smashed a devil fish in one turn, only death was the naked wulfen after 3 rounds of fire, they then smashed through a breacher squad, a path finder squad and were charging a fire warrior squad

cyber wolves: x4

charged a crisis commander and kept him in combat for 2 turns, did 1 hp on the crisis commander and destroyed 2 of his drones.

Rune priest: naked

smited the rest of the commanders drones, before he ran back

blood claws: x9 bloodclaws, x1 blood claw leader, x1 wolf gaurd pa leader

chewed through a firewarrior carbine team held the object for 2 turns

wolf priest: bolt naked

assisted the blood claws, morale is good when you got a wolf priest!

scouts: x5, heavy bolter, shotgun, x2 bolt pistols, x1 bolter

sat on a objective for 3 turns doing pot shots at crisis suits

lost by objectives but damn wulfen are amazing. I really like my load out, having a naked ablative wulfen is fun!

Our overall conclusion: GK can really only win vs SW when the SW player has failed to appease their dice gods, and that Bjorn is just nuts :smile.: Yeah, he is an auto include in every list, although I prefer to give him a twin LC. The HPC has been pretty lackluster in overall results, even with overcharging.

Good job using Bjorn. Regarding his loadout, I think maybe the assault cannon is best. Even with Bjorn moving, thanks to his 2+ to hit, he will be hitting on 3+ after moving rerolling ones. Compared to the Razorback and Terminator using assault cannon, Bjorn may be the the most efficient user of the Assault Cannon. With his character status, he should be relatively safe marching up the board.

The HPC just doesn't give out enough consistent damage, and you definitely don't want to overcharge it.

played my first game of 8th,

Wulfen: 1 pack leader, 1 naked, 2 x th ss, 1x ga

smashed a devil fish in one turn, only death was the naked wulfen after 3 rounds of fire, they then smashed through a breacher squad, a path finder squad and were charging a fire warrior squad

cyber wolves: x4

charged a crisis commander and kept him in combat for 2 turns, did 1 hp on the crisis commander and destroyed 2 of his drones.

Rune priest: naked

smited the rest of the commanders drones, before he ran back

blood claws: x9 bloodclaws, x1 blood claw leader, x1 wolf gaurd pa leader

chewed through a firewarrior carbine team held the object for 2 turns

wolf priest: bolt naked

assisted the blood claws, morale is good when you got a wolf priest!

scouts: x5, heavy bolter, shotgun, x2 bolt pistols, x1 bolter

sat on a objective for 3 turns doing pot shots at crisis suits

lost by objectives but damn wulfen are amazing. I really like my load out, having a naked ablative wulfen is fun!

Great job Triszin. Gotta try using scouts one day and cyberwolves.

Just don't overcharge it when you move.  Otherwise, Bjorn should be Overcharging it every time.

Knowing my luck, I'll roll 1s twice. I'll risk it for my combi-plasma wielding Wolf Guards but not my beloved 210+ points Bjorn. I've had Bjorn die to Turn 1 shooting back in 7th ed, I do not want to add an overheating plasma cannon death to my Bjorn's saga.

Edited by Kasper_Hawser

I'm the only one using the hellfrost cannon haha on Bjorn, but it's worked pretty darn well.  Being -4 with d6 and a mortal wound possible, I've killed a lot of characters, and shot down flyers with him.  Honestly though, I've done it since the second hand Bjorn I bought and rescued from a kid is plastic glued with the hellfrost on there.  and it felt fluffy.  Ass cannon sounds good, Las sounds meh