Help: Made a deal with my GF, help me choose a book.

Yet another vote for Eisenhorn. Seriously cannot go wrong with that one. If youre sneaky you can make her read the omnibus (all 3 plus a couple good short stories).

As a avid Reader above and beyond my hobby interest I second (or wherever we are) Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett. If the omnibus is to daunting then go with the first book in the series Xenos.

I can also recommend the Enforcer omnibus by Matthew Farrer (the books are Crossfire, Legacy and Blind) it has a female protagonist in Shira (a Adeptus Arbites officer) and like Eisenhord looks at imperial society and how it works and interacts its various branches. 

The Inquisition War Onibus by Ian Watson (books are Draco, Harlequin and Chaos Child) could also be a good start, just beare the old cannon in it. 

For an introduction to Space Marines (well Space Wolfs) try Space Wolf by William King, it is centered on a young Ragnar Blackmane as he undergoes the procces of becoming a space marine and his early training. 

Path of the Eldar Omnibus might also be good as again nit is a introduction into a society rather than just a warzone. 

I think I will also recommend Dante, it's a very good book about the chapter master of the blood angels and his rise from child to captain, and his duties as lord of the chapter. It's pretty much standalone too.