Bullgryns in 8th

Charlo

Don't post in the HAMMER OF THE EMPEROR section often... But something caught my eye!

BULLGRYNS!

They look bloody great with the Mauls, 2+ or 4++ save, 3 S7 -1AP 2D that hit on a 3+ in combat. 4 on the charge and 5 for the squad leader!

Seem like the ultimate counter charge unit, with Nork also adding some tasty attacks if you want to bring him aswell.

You can even hide 4 of them in a Chimera patiently waiting for any would be chargers...

Don't post in the HAMMER OF THE EMPEROR section often... But something caught my eye!

BULLGRYNS!

They look bloody great with the Mauls, 2+ or 4++ save, 3 S7 -1AP 2D that hit on a 3+ in combat. 4 on the charge and 5 for the squad leader!

Seem like the ultimate counter charge unit, with Nork also adding some tasty attacks if you want to bring him aswell.

You can even hide 4 of them in a Chimera patiently waiting for any would be chargers...

Yes, you can. Or use 3 in a Chimera with double flamers and a Ministorum Priest for +1 attack also. Add Commissar to taste too.

Or Grav Chute them out of a Valkyrie for really getting up close with the enemy fast :happy.:

^ Yes, they really became better in 8th.

Wow.

Basically I'm looking into making some Combat troops for my ad mech and getting some big bulky tech priests designed to hit things hard seemed like a good start :biggrin.:

Also Valkyrie seems like the easiest first turn charge ever...?!

Edited by Charlo

BULLGRYNS!

Yes, you can. Or use 3 in a Chimera with double flamers and a Ministorum Priest for +1 attack also. Add Commissar to taste too.

Or Grav Chute them out of a Valkyrie for really getting up close with the enemy fast ^_^

^ Yes, they really became better in 8th.

That's my biggest problem where to put them chimera or Valkyrie

I'm building a Ogryn Airbourne Drop Corps that is a bunch of Bullgryns grav chutting out of Valkyries supported by Vulture Gunships (to clear the LZ) and a Thunderbolt (to keep the skies friendly). 

I'm hoping to sculpt little tiny berets for them and make their bases craters from where they landed. 

I really really miss them giving better cover to units behind with the Slab Shields but apart from that they're ace. Much better than 7th.

Chimera or Valkyrie though? Clearly they belong in a CRASSUS ARMOURED ASSAULT TRANSPORT!

Or a Storm Lord I guess.

I really really miss them giving better cover to units behind with the Slab Shields but apart from that they're ace. Much better than 7th.

Chimera or Valkyrie though? Clearly they belong in a CRASSUS ARMOURED ASSAULT TRANSPORT!

Or a Storm Lord I guess.

A lot of money and points for a storm Lord or Crassus

Ha, who would of thought Guardsmen would ever have to debate the best way to get their Bullgryns into combat :wink:

At least there is a few good options. Even the Taurox is good as a budget choice just for 3 Bullgryns.

As with anything I guess it depends on the rest of your force, and as tough as they are they will still need support.

Bullgryns are quite solid.  I am wondering what shield option is better for them.  2+ is actually quite solid, especially when you throw in Astra Telepathica psyker for the save buff power.  And of course the slab shields look way better than those goofy energy shields.

Not really, their grenade launchers are not impressive compared to standard IG dakka, whereas their melee versions are a somewhat unique offering (scout sentinels being the other option).

I also like Nork in any forward detachment to protect the commissar and commander.

2 Boxes for me soon. A 5 man unit with Slab shields and Nork. Probably just hanging about near my Infantry to counter-charge anything that reaches my lines. I'm not convinced by any of the transport options except the superheavies but they are points and monies intensive... I'm still determined to get one as an army centrepiece but a Malacdor Infernus is still my favourite option for that.

Can Bullgryns sit on the fuel tank perhaps? If it explodes each model in the unit takes 17 Mortal Wounds?

The grenade launcher isn't great, going for mauls for a pure combat unit is better. I do have one already done unfortunately but maybe a couple can give them something to do while closing. The 2+ shield is definitely best, which is why I'm thinking that you'd only want one or two 4++ to tank the AP negating shots (for my five Bullgryn squad that is - 1 is Nork :wink: ).

They're looking good in 8th, especially as you can mix and match equipment now. I'm thinking mostly 2+ shields but some 4++ and they'll be durable and quite potent too. They're high on my queue :wink:

I didn't even think about mixing them...!

While yes, if one takes a wound you then have to assign to them until they die, being able to chose a 2+ for anything with 0-2AP and a 4++ for anything AP3+ would be awesome.

They're looking good in 8th, especially as you can mix and match equipment now. I'm thinking mostly 2+ shields but some 4++ and they'll be durable and quite potent too. They're high on my queue :wink:

I didn't even think about mixing them...!

While yes, if one takes a wound you then have to assign to them until they die, being able to chose a 2+ for anything with 0-2AP and a 4++ for anything AP3+ would be awesome.

I routinely fight bullgryns, and they tend to run mixed. The player who runs them almost always uses a command point reroll the first failed 4++, allowing him to tank Penitent engine attacks like nothing else. Edited by Beams

Sure there is one empty seat in the Chimera.

Do you want the Psyker for the +1 save or Emperors Gaze?

The bad thing with the +1 save is, that your Priest and Commissar can't join the Bullgryns so they won't benefit from that +1.

Ill be kitting mine with 2 slabs and 1 4++ shield (on the bone 'ead I guess?)

They will all have mauls, although ivr magnetised all the options in case they stop us from mix and matching again ...

Im not sure what use ogryns will be. Although I'm still going to repaint mine. I might use them as defensive counter assault units whilst my Bullgryns will be bringing the fight to the enemy!

That's a very good point about mixing and matching the units.  I am going to be buying two boxes myself here pretty soon (for a 5-man squad and Nork like many others), so I may have to give one the goofy little baby shield.  Magnetizing the shields is super easy, too, so there is always that option.

I think running them in Chimeras is the best route, although I don't care for the double heavy flamer variant (simply too many points).  I think I would probably accompany them with some regular infantry as well, because you need numbers to capture objectives.  So for example take two Chimeras (Gryphonne is my preferred one).

Commissar Lord

Priest

Command Squad with 4x flamers

SWS with 3x flamers

Chimera

Nork

3x Bullgryns

Chimera

Nork can keep the two characters standing longer, guardsmen nuke other infantry and give you 10 more bodies to throw at objectives.  Then add ANOTHER chimera with 4 more bullgryns. :D

Teaming commissar Yarrick up with the bullgryns could be fantastic. He is durable, boosts morale and lets all IG (I will never call them by their new name) units within 6" reroll 1´s to hit

At the premium cost of 130 pts he is a touch more expensive than a regular commissar or commisar lord. But he brings so muh to the table :-D

Edited by Are Verlo