A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

Damn... It's been a long time. About two years, since I last posted on here. It's great to see some familiar names still here though - Kraut Scientist, Forte, Biohazard, Subtle Discord, etc. 

Much has happened in the last two years. My band has gotten really busy, I've toyed with a lot of projects, and abandoned them (even Warmachine... :huh.: ), I've gotten married to an amazing young lady, and we've bought a house, which we moved into this february - where I promptly snatched a room in the basement, and turned it into a very cool mancave/music room/hobby room. For the first time in my adult life I have a dedicated hobby space - It. Is. Amazing. 

Also, the dropbox-gate-scandal of 2017... Grrrr... I know you photobucket people are angry, but so am I. Dropbox did the exact same stunt a couple of months ago, rendering 500+ picture links useless. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to reupload them for the time being, and there's no way I can replace all the links in hundreds of pages across Dakka, Warseer and here. So there... They killed my blogs. Damn them. 

I've also, believe it or not, sold my Death Guard army, which some of you may remember seeing. They've stood on display in GW Copenhagen for 1.5 years, and I came to the conclusion that I didn't really miss them. It's been 6 years since I did that project, and I've learnt a lot both regarding modelling and painting since. There was a lot I would do differently today, so when the new model leaks showed up, I took the decision and put them up for sale. My good buddy, Rune, couldn't resist and snatched them up, so they're still in the family, of sorts. :smile.: 

Anyway, here I am. New edition, and no army. This will change with this blog. 

A couple of disclaimers:

• This will be a slow blog, since real life has a tendency to chip away at my hobby time, even more so with owning a house (I can't believe how much there always is to fix!!!).
  • All comments are always welcome - comments, critique and questions - I will try to answer anyone, but please do it here, in this thread, and not using PM's - I don't check them often. 
With that wall of text overwith, on to the exciting stuff! 

I was very excited to see the new DG stuff coming out - finally! Finally, plastic DG miniatures, in glorious plastic. (BTW - I'm done with Forge World. Too many bad experiences getting paint to stick to their silicone-laced miscasts). I've gotten hold of a couple of sets from the new starter set, and assembled them - with only a few small conversions - the models are so good that I don't need to do a lot to them. One small niggle, though - not a fan of all the helmets; I prefer the Mk3 style helmets, hopefully the multipart kit coming out soon will have more choices. 

They have a great steam punkish aesthetic, which is something that was missing from my old DG army, and that I'm very keen to focus on this time around - more steam punk, more asymmetry, and more gunk, battle damage and rot than before. 

No pictures of the starter set models for now - you've all seen them a million times already, and mine are just grey plastic at the moment. 

No, I want to show you what I've been working on; I've always had a crush on Dreadnoughts, and old love never rusts - of course I had to do one. I got inspired one night about a month ago, and rummaged through my bits box, finding some usable parts, and begun cobbling them together, into this fella:

dreadclose.jpg

He's based on DV Helbrute torso, with sentinel legs, and every bit imaginable thrown on - just ask, if you're curious - It would be a mammoth task to list them all. He's a big one too, almost 1.5 times the height of a normal dread. 

Another, very recent project (as in, the last two days), is my BlightFiend (Nurgle Forge Fiend) - it's an idea I've had since first seeing the Bloat Drone, and I got a good start on it - still a good deal of work to go, but I really like it so far: 

BF1.jpg

BF2.jpg

It's based on a Forge Fiend body, turned backwards, some Mechanicum onager legs and the faceplate from the Bloat Drone. I really like the vibe of this thing - it feels very Dark Mechanics, Nurgly and Steam Punkish. 

I also got started on some paint - however, I can't quite decide which colour scheme I should go for. The white one I've already done last time, and while it looks great on the table, it seems a bit flat up close - the green one is sort of the opposite. Uh, decisions, decisions: 

testpic2.jpg

Also on the table is a Nurgle Knight Titan, which is my old Dark Mech titan, that I've dug out of it's box where it's been sitting for some years. I'm really excited about it, and can't wait to show it off, when I've done some further work to it. 

That's it for now - any and all comments are appreciated as always. :smile.:

I like both of those PM paint schemes. I would keep a mix for your units because it says to me: dude on the right is pretty classic, but the dude on the left is more green and mutated from hugging too many plague bearers. He certainly looks the part.

It's great that the new box set has brought in so many new DG players, but it's even better when it brings back really awesome hobbyists like you! Loved your Typhus from  before but WOW, these new conversions look phenomenal! Love the dreadnought looks more organic instead of the usual boxy guys. And that blight fiend is looking too cool, definitely looking forward to seeing more!

I despise Nurgle with all my being (goody two shoes Ultra lovin guy here) BUT ....One simply cannot deny when someone does excellent modelling and painting and all of those are here! 

hats off to you sir :biggrin.:  i do look forward to your painting technique and colour choices(they can be relevant for painting other green things :sweat: )

Cheers, Mithril

The master returns.

Seriously, mate: Incredible stuff, as usual. No one does daemon engines quite like you!

I shall be following this with bated breath :wink:

I am humbled - and great "seeing" you again - it's been to long. I see you've always catched the Nurgle bug recently?

Haha, yeah -- nice to see you, too ;)

To be honest, I did my best to keep up with the blog, but updates were far and few between, weren't they? I did see the Dread over there, though ;)

It's hard to grasp that you should have sold that Death Guard army, though: I'd never sell something like that. At least tell me you've still got your World Eaters...

And yes, I've been infected with the Nurgle bug, lately -- currently cutting my way through the first wave of plastic Death Guard models.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)

@ Bozo: I don't think a mix will work for me - I like a coherent looking army. 

The master returns.

Seriously, mate: Incredible stuff, as usual. No one does daemon engines quite like you!

I shall be following this with bated breath :wink:

I am humbled - and great "seeing" you again - it's been to long. I see you've always catched the Nurgle bug recently?

Haha, yeah -- nice to see you, too :wink:

To be honest, I did my best to keep up with the blog, but updates were far and few between, weren't they? I did see the Dread over there, though :wink:

It's hard to grasp that you should have sold that Death Guard army, though: I'd never sell something like that. At least tell me you've still got your World Eaters...

And yes, I've been infected with the Nurgle bug, lately -- currently cutting my way through the first wave of plastic Death Guard models.

Yup, I try to update it now and again, but like I said in the disclaimer for this new blog, it's gonna be a slow blog, and there just isn't the same traffic to a blogspot blog, like on here - I have to admit that peoples comments very much motivates me to update. 

Actually the Khorne army was sold 3-4 years ago. Sorry. :huh.: I don't know... I don't like having things around that don't serve a purpose. I mean, I don't need the space or the money, but I couldn't imagine playing either the World Eaters or the old DG again, and they just stood there collecting dust, so I passed them on. Rune, my buddy who bought them, will play them and enjoy them, which I think is far better than them crumbling on some shelf in my cave. There are literally hundreds of hours gone into those miniatures, but I think I'm more focused on the process of making them, than the result - my enjoyment in creating them is in no way diminished by the fact that I no longer own them - it was a cool project, that can now be enjoyed by someone else. Also, I set high standards for myself in this hobby, and if I think I can do something better, I'll redo it - hence the reason why I've made several Typhuses, for example; seeing what I can do now, the old DG just wasn't up to my standards, and I wanted to redo them. More steam punk, more dirt, more true to the DG - for example, no Heldrake, no raptors, no transports - just gritty, footslogging marines and walkers. 

Oh boy. I've been rattling on about your Death Guard to a lot of people even building a Typhus who's heavily influenced by your old one. I noticed a lot of your pics had gone when I went to look for him. Great to see you return and that Dread is a thing of rotting beauty. :tu:

Oh boy. I've been rattling on about your Death Guard to a lot of people even building a Typhus who's heavily influenced by your old one. I noticed a lot of your pics had gone when I went to look for him. Great to see you return and that Dread is a thing of rotting beauty. :thumbsup:

Awww... Thanks, man! :)

Cool about the Typhus conversion - got any pics? I'd love to see it, and I've waded through the latest 10 pages of your blog - still doing great work, I see! 

Damn!!! Fantastic painting and modelling :tu:

I love the pre-Heresy looking scheme of the second Plague Marine. The paler armour really accentuates the corrosion and rot.

Looking forward to seeing some more :)

Good to see you back, I've seen the dread on your blog and it's quite lovely. The new blightfiend is very cool looking too, awesome. Really nice combination of parts.

I'd vote for the pre heresy color scheme as it would be a fitting homage to your old army and also looks amazing. I understand if you're a bit sick of it though:)

I mean, these are okay, I guess, if you love excellent miniatures, assembled with furious imagination that communicate their ideas instantly and and a pure confidence.

You know, if that's your thing.

Good to see you've finally resurfaced! I've been a long time lurker of yours on here, DakkaDakka, and Warseer. Glad to see your back at it!

If you're referring to the Chaos Knight that I remember from your Dakka log then I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it's progressing. Even if it's not, I'm eager to see what your cooking up!

There goes the neighborhood.

Great stuff to bring about your return. I especially like the old school white paint scheme, but I can see the appeal of wanting to try something new. I'm sure we'll all be amazed by the results either way.