A return to the Death Guard and a new start.

This thread is simply amazing! I've been a loyalist player for many years, and I'm just stepping over to the dark side, so I missed your work the first time around. I'm glad I found your thread, your conversions are ridiculously inspiring!

This thread is simply amazing! I've been a loyalist player for many years, and I'm just stepping over to the dark side, so I missed your work the first time around. I'm glad I found your thread, your conversions are ridiculously inspiring!

Just wanted to chime in here too and say I'm excited to see what you come up with.  Your old Dark Mechanicus blog is probably my all-time favorite plog, and pushed me into modeling and posting here.

Thanks a lot guys - it's always fantastic to hear that my work can inspire someone else. :)

Yeah, Galloway's not the only one.

I think you should experiment with some drastically different configurations below the belt, withered legs, insectile legs, tattered robes, and also this current cabling. They could all change the look of the model a lot, and I can't say for sure which would make the best model just yet.

As for chains, (extra thin) superglue and accelerant can be used to get them into a position you like. Just be careful though, the glue can easily blob up, and more importantly, mixing large amounts of thin superglue and accelerant can be extremely hot, I've nearly burned myself pretty badly with it in the past.

Yeah, Galloway's not the only one.

I think you should experiment with some drastically different configurations below the belt, withered legs, insectile legs, tattered robes, and also this current cabling. They could all change the look of the model a lot, and I can't say for sure which would make the best model just yet.

As for chains, (extra thin) superglue and accelerant can be used to get them into a position you like. Just be careful though, the glue can easily blob up, and more importantly, mixing large amounts of thin superglue and accelerant can be extremely hot, I've nearly burned myself pretty badly with it in the past.

Thanks! I've just gotten home, and I decided to try out the insectile theme: 

dpidea1.jpg

No really sure if it works, but let me know what you guys think. :)  (I also tried giving the mechanical tail legs, centipede style, but that just seemed weird.) 

Wow, great work on the Death Guard.

EDIT: Holy crap your Daemon Engines on the first page. I also checked out the other threads in your siggy, but was sad to see all picture links were broken. Is that fixable?

There... I've sat down for 4 hours this evening, and reuploaded almost all of my project pics of everything I've done since returning to the hobby 8 years ago. The link is in my signature. Enjoy! :) 

EDIT: Holy crap your Daemon Engines on the first page. I also checked out the other threads in your siggy, but was sad to see all picture links were broken. Is that fixable?

There... I've sat down for 4 hours this evening, and reuploaded almost all of my project pics of everything I've done since returning to the hobby 8 years ago. The link is in my signature. Enjoy! :smile.:

Massive respect for that! 

I really like the way he looks with the insectile lower body, but I think the pose with the legs backwards is a bit off.

Maybe if you put a pillar of some sort on the base and have him hold onto it with his legs you can make the current angle of the thorax(?) work with the legs forward. On top of that it would probably add a bit to the creepy factor to have him scuttling all over terrain.

I like the insectile legs, but the angles do seem perhaps a bit off. More importantly, it might be insufficiently mechanical now. What if the center column of the stinger/lower body bit was mechancial with another sawblade at the end, but still had flesh turning into the insectile legs on the edges? Is that a thing you could even do?

Alternatively, armor might be good...

Hmm, I actually kinda like the somewhat chaotic looking insectile lower body, and the strange angles on the legs instantly remind me of everything I find abhorrent about insects, which has to mean you're on to something.

However, strange as this may sound, it feels to me like the head you are going to use will ultimately make or break the model, including the choice which lower body works best. Any actual plans so far?

Great to see you're back!

Congratulations on all your news.

Loving the conversions.

I like the insect theme but I think he was better off before. I don"t think the tendrils were too mechanicum, I felt he needed and area of flesh/abdomen to integrate it all a bit more. A flowing skirt could work as well, but seems a little chicle almost. For that reason I feel the flying insect is the most fresh and original.

Cheers

edit: grammar

Edited by BrotherJim

There... I've sat down for 4 hours this evening, and reuploaded almost all of my project pics of everything I've done since returning to the hobby 8 years ago. The link is in my signature. Enjoy! :)

Thank you for taking your time with this, it was good to see your work again, really inspiring stuff. I love that berserker hanging in a lamp post haha

Thanks guys! :smile.: Still debating about the lower body, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the mechanical tail - I've been looking all over the GW site, and I can't find any legs that I think would work. 

Hmm, I actually kinda like the somewhat chaotic looking insectile lower body, and the strange angles on the legs instantly remind me of everything I find abhorrent about insects, which has to mean you're on to something.

However, strange as this may sound, it feels to me like the head you are going to use will ultimately make or break the model, including the choice which lower body works best. Any actual plans so far?

I've made a couple tonight, but I'm not really satisfied with either: 

dpheadexp.jpg

There... I've sat down for 4 hours this evening, and reuploaded almost all of my project pics of everything I've done since returning to the hobby 8 years ago. The link is in my signature. Enjoy! :smile.:

Thank you for taking your time with this, it was good to see your work again, really inspiring stuff. I love that berserker hanging in a lamp post haha

Thanks! I really like him too. :D

Edited by GuitaRasmus

Both heads look pretty cool! Some possible suggestions: For the one on the left, maybe goggles of some sort could work and maybe some ram horns instead of the forehead horn? And for the one on the right, some tubing on the mask as well as two smaller horns on either side of the big horn might look good I think. Super impressed with the DP so far, definitely looking forward to seeing it completed!

The left doesn't work for me, but the right is an interesting head. Not sure if it is optimal for this guy though.

That being said, it looks like you have done a lot of gs work on the weapon and torso, so I would love to see wide open shots again to do another bottom half comparison, as those might seriously impact the flesh/metal percentage question.

I love the insectile lower body.  Really creepy.

As for heads, I quite liked the Talos one you were using ahead of either of the two shown.  The gas mask doesn't "feel" right - it's more of a WWI/industrial decay Nurgle theme, when you seem to be going for insects etc - at least with the Daemon Prince. 

The right one seems a little small behind the huge face grill?  

Perhaps some kind of insect-face might work, or an animal skull like Archmagos Draykavac. 

Wicked cool DP! Awesome job making the wrappings on the scythe. I really like the insect thorax, I just feel like his midsection is a little empty, especially with such a wide torso. I think the head on the right looks terrific, just maybe with some mandibles in place of the respirator cartridges

Thanks again for the input, guys - I can't really figure out what to do with him right now, so I think I'll let him sit for a few days - that usually helps. :)

I've managed to get all my 20 pox walkers ready for paint. I couldn't resist getting the 6 man quick assemble box too, and I realised that with a few small conversions and the 6 additional guys, I had an opportunity to have 20 unique models - so thats what I did. I also removed almost every single horn on the pox walkers, since I disliked them - it gives them IMO an odd silhouette, and takes away from the creepiness of them. This I like much better. To hide the cuts, and give some extra texture, I glued on some micro beads from a Brita water filter. Great stuff for Nurgle, but it sure is a bitch to separate the beads from the active carbon they're mixed with. If anybody has any tips for an easy way to do it, I'm all ears. :)

Anyway, here they are:

pox1.jpg

pox2.jpg

pox3.jpg

Poxwalkers look amazing. I can't wait to start with mine and will be sure to take hints from your work on them.

For glass microbeads, cheapck out AliExpress: search for 1mm glass micro beads. You'll be able to get a lifetime of them for a couple $

:tu:

Poxwalkers look amazing. I can't wait to start with mine and will be sure to take hints from your work on them.

For glass microbeads, cheapck out AliExpress: search for 1mm glass micro beads. You'll be able to get a lifetime of them for a couple $

:thumbsup:

Thanks - steal away, man. :) 

Good tip, although one of the things I really like about these, is that they're ever so slightly rough on the surface (paint will probably stick to them better than glass) and that they're varying sizes.