Chapter Focus: The Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists and Black T

Banjulhu

Terminators Deep Striked, failed charge distance in both rolls (10 is hard to get...

You only need a 9 brother :wink:

Actually, in some cases an 8 will do. If you're exactly at 9'', an 8 will get you to exactly 1''.

So this stratagem is exactly what the doctor ordered. This edition we lacked ability to deny powers well now, we have them. I would have loved to see our Warlord Trait, and Relic but cest'la vie. And I think it's important to remember in regard to our chapter tactics. It still actually reads, "Gain Access to the Best (or 2nd Best) Tactical Squad Variant in the Game" and this other nice rule. While Crusader Squads are no longer the epitome of efficiency they used to be given how the Detachment system has changed over the years.

You are making the assumption that the squad will retain the ability to load up on 2 non-sandard weapons at min size, given that that is the only aspect of the Crusader Squad that has any real value anymore.

Terminators Deep Striked, failed charge distance in both rolls (10 is hard to get...

Actually, in some cases an 8 will do. If you're exactly at 9'', an 8 will get you to exactly 1''.

you have to be MORE THAN 9 away. so no, an 8 will never do.

I was more inclined to see a CC strat than Abhor the Witch shenanigans...but I wasn't expecting that strong of a chance.  I was wagering like a 5+ at best for something directly targeting a unit.  Well played GW.

But damn if they aren't overselling on some things.  'Re-rolling charges makes Templars not just the best assault force in the dex, but one of the best in the game!'  Wooooaaaahhh, slow down there champ.  It's nice, but Khorne's lackeys are laughing.  'Buy Rievers!  Buy Intercessors!  Oh, and Crusader Squads, we suppose...'

I don't much care about Warlord traits because I'll always be taking one of our Characters as HQ, but Relics could be interesting.  

you have to be MORE THAN 9 away. so no, an 8 will never do.

My mistake.

You have to be more than 9" away with deep strikers not 9" or more so you will always need a 9 or greater on a charge roll for deep strikers to get within 1"

So this stratagem is exactly what the doctor ordered. This edition we lacked ability to deny powers well now, we have them. I would have loved to see our Warlord Trait, and Relic but cest'la vie. And I think it's important to remember in regard to our chapter tactics. It still actually reads, "Gain Access to the Best (or 2nd Best) Tactical Squad Variant in the Game" and this other nice rule. While Crusader Squads are no longer the epitome of efficiency they used to be given how the Detachment system has changed over the years.

You are making the assumption that the squad will retain the ability to load up on 2 non-sandard weapons at min size, given that that is the only aspect of the Crusader Squad that has any real value anymore.

Why would we lose that? Would seem more than a tad inane if we did

Solid stratagem. Unfortunately the rest of the article is a bit lack luster compared to most others.... I was personally hoping for a CC stratagem, perhaps the other many space marine stratagems have some sort of CC oriented tactics.

Strong stratagem none the less. Deny a spell on a 4+

I think so too. And we dont know our Warlord Traits and not our Relic. So maybe there are possibilities for us.

and the 4+ with the possibility for a reroll - to 75 we can decide which wich doesnt matter^^

Edited by Medjugorje

I'm pretty sure that breaks your <Black Templar> detachment

I'll refer you to page 240 of the rulebook, which confirms that the Imperium faction keyword is good enough for a viable detachment. I don't recall seeing anywhere a requirement for the detachment to be wholly in the same chapter.

Without all units in the army having <BLACK TEMPLARS> you cannot use the BT Stratagem.

Personally I wish a version of Abhor the Witch could have been in our chapter tactics so I don't have to spend CP for a chance to cancel out a single power, and if that was the case our stratagem could have been close combat related. As it is I'm still okay with the current situation I just wish it wasn't so limited. Then again, if everything worked exactly as I'd like it to we'd have a completely broken army so for the sake of balance it's probably for the best. Overall I'm ready to purge some heretics and I'm hoping the space marine stratagems include a solid close combat boost to expedite my purging.

I'll refer you to page 240 of the rulebook, which confirms that the Imperium faction keyword is good enough for a viable detachment. I don't recall seeing anywhere a requirement for the detachment to be wholly in the same chapter.

Without all units in the army having <BLACK TEMPLARS> you cannot use the BT Stratagem.

AH, good point. Aux detachment it is then...

Why would we lose that? Would seem more than a tad inane if we did

Not particularly, it would just be a change to alter the dynamics of the unit. Given how players tend towards building spam lists I can see a dev removing the ability just to stop it happening like was done with the tactical squad many years ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Crusader squads get access to 3 (or even more) non-standard weapons with the option for a free Sword Brother?

One variation of the Crusader squad that I'm looking to build is a five man las/plas, but with a sword brother with combi-plasma for another plasma shot.

List building aside, I'm stoked for this stratagem, and the chapter tactics. Maybe not as OP as Raven Guard, but very fluffy.

Edited by Slackmaster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Crusader squads get access to 3 (or even more) non-standard weapons with the option for a free Sword Brother?

They do, I was refering to the heavy and special weapons slots however rather than anything on a squad leader.

But my point still stands I could see them wanting to limit things like 5 man squads with 1 lascannon, 1 plasma gun and a combi-plama gun

If the stratagem was the second half of the CT with removing the need for spend a CP we would be in a much more palatable place.  

As much as I dislike what we have for the CT and stratagem the worst thing about being a BT player is being told by the community when a BT player asks for something closer to our roots allowing us to function as a CC army. "You just should be happy they gave you something as you are only a second founding chapter."

I don't understand why people don't think we have the right to enjoy playing the army the way it was bill and presented to us.  It is not liked we have not spend years playing, collection and spending a large amount of money on the hobby.  

I knew it. Either a strong anti-psyker stratagem or a mild cc boost one. Guess we got the fluffiest one, but that leave us with a very situational stratagem that we can't use unless the other player bring a filthy witch against while they have, at least comparing to the known stratagems of other chapter/armies, a stratagem that can be played against all kind of enemies :S

Still I like it, hope that our warlord trait and relic give us something that boost cc.

Our relic is the Crusader Helm. So it will buff stuff.

Increases the range of auras by 3.

I reckon we will be forced into running our IC for Black Tide CC advantage.

Edited by Sete