Which Dreadnought to take?

Stemplar

As per Forgeworld's Imperial Armour index, yes.

Mortis Contemptor's are still a thing, and can take two each of: TL Heavy Bolters, TL Lascannons, TL Autocannons, Heavy Plasma cannon, Multimelta and Kheres assault cannons.

Do note that the same book also contains rules for the regular Castra Ferrum (boxnaught) Mortis dreadnoughts allowing them to take aproximately the same list: TL Heavy Bolters, TL Lascannons, TL Autocannons, Heavy Plasma cannons, Multimeltas, Missile Launchers and Assault cannons.

You can also take a "simple" mortis dread with two twin autocanons.

What does that run on points the GW one was 136 prior to losing it in the new codex.

I held a very high opinion of that build being very cheap and consistently  with strong long range fire power.  But ranged focused units don't feel very BT to me unless it is a predators, vindicator, speeders, attack bikes or flyers.

The rifleman dread would fit well with IF with my personal tastes.

Edited by balordazul

More on the modelling Aesthetic, which one would be better? FW IF Contemptor Dreadnought, FW Relic Contemptor Dreadnought, GW Contemptor Dreadnought...

as you can see I am pondering my next type of Dreadnought :tongue.:

I wish I've bought the Chaplain and BT ones before they disappeared :(

More on the modelling Aesthetic, which one would be better? FW IF Contemptor Dreadnought, FW Relic Contemptor Dreadnought, GW Contemptor Dreadnought...

as you can see I am pondering my next type of Dreadnought :p

I just bought (warning ... heresy ahead!!) A blood angels death squad dread. I love the skull head and with a bit of easy kit bashing it'll make an awesome looking venerable.

I love the GW Contemptor model too. Will add one of those soon.

I love the look of a standard casteferrum dread. It's the box that appeals to me, which all the FW Dreads and the Contemptor to a more or lesser extent remove. The Ironclad i like a lot, might one day buy one with chainfist, melta and hurricane bolter. Or two and call them the Dreadnought Crusader :P

My Dreads i run as assaultcannon, heavy flamer and fist, march them up the field between my shooty bits and the enemy to make them think about charging or dedicate their AT fire at the Dreads which leaves the Predators and LRC to do their reaping. Also a quad AC Dread to bolster midstrength shooting which i find myself lacking more often than not.

So the Ironclad is 40 points cheaper AND gets it's CCW for free. Making it a WAY better option. You can put the seismic hammer on it now and it still comes up cheaper than a venerable! Guess I'll be buying another dreadnought. Edited by Stemplar

Yeah, the issue with that comparison is how the Ven doesn't have to catch something to kill it.  Most folks will have enough sense not to get into grabby range of an Ironclad if they can help it.

Not that I don't recommend taking one!  I'm laboriously grinding my teeth every brush stroke I apply to my wicked little pair of burgeoning bludgeoners, but I wouldn't say they're a replacement for a Ven.  They have two very different jobs.  And I'm reluctantly going back and building Hurricanes (even more stuff I have to paint) to help mitigate the reach issue when I can.

Well I think the Hurricane is a great option now. Re-rolling ones is nice but is wasted if you have a Captain/Helbrecht/Chaplain nearby. Because of that I'll probably be taking the hurricane a lot, that's a lot of dakka for very few points and I also think the Chainfist is the better option between it and the hammer. Main reason is not taking a -1 to hit for only 1 less damage. 

Btw guys, some of you may remember the Unit of the Week discussion? We have the Dreadnought one rolling already if you want to share your thoughts with our "lesser" chapter brothers ;)

I'm quite happy with the new Hurricanes, I'm just annoyed that I have even more to paint on the two models that are already taking a lifetime to complete :P

I'm using one Hammer and one Chainfist on the two Ironclads...because I don't want to paint two of each.  :teehee:

Well I think the Hurricane is a great option now. Re-rolling ones is nice but is wasted if you have a Captain/Helbrecht/Chaplain nearby. Because of that I'll probably be taking the hurricane a lot, that's a lot of dakka for very few points and I also think the Chainfist is the better option between it and the hammer. Main reason is not taking a -1 to hit for only 1 less damage. 

Btw guys, some of you may remember the Unit of the Week discussion? We have the Dreadnought one rolling already if you want to share your thoughts with our "lesser" chapter brothers :wink:

I have one on order to replace my CC hammer focused ironclad who might see action again when Stormravens get back in stock.  

My only guess with the strange pointing of the hammer to chain fist is that they are wanting people to now do the Ironclad hurricane bolter plus chain fist build getting people like me to go out and buy a version of a dreadnought that I did not see myself getting before 8th.

Also interesting linked topic but a little far of field for me with focus of the other chapters not lining up with mine.  Plus the last several pages have been very focused on FW dreads and the crazy over the top things they can do.  

-----

As a side question how are people adding ML to the Ven dread kit?  What bits are you using or are you just magnetizing the missile launcher from the base dread kit on to the Ven dread model? 

I'm quite happy with the new Hurricanes, I'm just annoyed that I have even more to paint on the two models that are already taking a lifetime to complete :P

I'm using one Hammer and one Chainfist on the two Ironclads...because I don't want to paint two of each. :teehee:

The Crusade is eternal brother ;)

I relented and bought a Redemptor!! The thing is MASSIVE! I wanna make it the centrepiece of a big dreadnought unit with a couple of vens and an ironclad. Las cannons on the venerables, hurricane on the Ironclad and that heavy onslaught gatling cannon. Wow!

I relented and bought a Redemptor!! The thing is MASSIVE! I wanna make it the centrepiece of a big dreadnought unit with a couple of vens and an ironclad. Las cannons on the venerables, hurricane on the Ironclad and that heavy onslaught gatling cannon. Wow!

The real question is will you put the front/belly armor on? I saw a pic of it with that open(apparently those pieces move)  and I thought it looked way better without them with the sarcophagus showing

The real question is will you put the front/belly armor on? I saw a pic of it with that open(apparently those pieces move) and I thought it looked way better without them with the sarcophagus showing

I have put them on ... for now. I've BT'ed it up tho, with a modified sarcophagus. Can't figure out how to load photos or I'd show it.

The real question is will you put the front/belly armor on? I saw a pic of it with that open(apparently those pieces move) and I thought it looked way better without them with the sarcophagus showing

I have put them on ... for now. I've BT'ed it up tho, with a modified sarcophagus. Can't figure out how to load photos or I'd show it.

I use Imgur to upload my photos, just select the "BBCode" opton. Alternatively you can upload photos to your gallery here and then use the photo button on the bar above where you type your post. 

I use Imgur to upload my photos, just select the "BBCode" opton. Alternatively you can upload photos to your gallery here and then use the photo button on the bar above where you type your post. 

I got myself 2 of the redemptors ... please upload some pics ... could use the inspiration

I will also upload some picts later today if I can.  Also thank you Acebaur for info on how you manage the imagery for BnC.

The sarcophagus top is much larger than the normal sized dread and the way it is built leaves no room for a alt head style dread.  

Regarding the Redemptor, do we have an estimated/median point cost or something more specific? I haven't been following closely the sting of rumours.

Geared as a gatling version with frag you are looking over 200 points.  I'm at work so I don't have the book in hand.

Regarding the Redemptor, do we have an estimated/median point cost or something more specific? I haven't been following closely the sting of rumours.

The basic loadout is 207 pts, and it can go up to ~230 pts if you substitute the heavy flamer for the macro plasma thingy. There's small variations depending on minor substitutions but basically either around 210 or around 230 depending on loadout. No real intermediate value.