+++ Dark Raiders: Renegade Astartes for 8th +++

Prot

Yeah, there are some good options, I think Intoxicating Elixir on a Daemon Prince with claws will be awesome, and Eye of Tzeentch could be a good option. Talisman of Burning Blood gives our trait to DP too, but is a waste on any other character...

Okay so I finally bought the new Codex and I'm really anxious to try it out! I made a comparison with the Index to see what has changed and I think that chaos is a quite balanced army right now. We have loads of viable options, which is great when making a versatile Renegade army. I made a test list of what I think that should work best for Renegades, and would love to get some feedback from you guys, specially to see what you would take instead. 

Battalion Detachment +3CP

Daemon Prince with Wings (170): 180
  • Extra Malefic Talon 10
  • Intoxicating Elixir
  • Warptime & Smite
  • Slaanesh, Harvesters of Souls
  • Warlord
Dark Apostle (72): 76
  • Power Mace & Bolt Pistol 4
  • Harvesters of Souls
5x Chaos Space Marines (65): 101
  • Bolt Pistol and Chainsword
  • Meltagun 17
  • Combi-melta 19
  • Harvesters of Souls
5x Chaos Space Marines (65): 101
  • Bolt Pistol and Chainsword
  • Meltagun 17
  • Combi-melta 19
  • Harvesters of Souls
10x Cultists (40): 44
  • Autoguns
  • Heavy Stubber 4
  • Harvesters of Souls
3x Chaos Bikers (75): 130
  • Champion with combi-bolter and combi-melta 21
  • 2x Meltaguns 34
  • Harvesters of Souls
3x Chaos Bikers (75): 106
  • Champion with combi-bolter and combi-flamer 13
  • 2x flamers 18
  • Harvesters of Souls
3x Chaos Bikers (75): 106
  • Champion with combi-bolter and combi-flamer 13
  • 2x flamers 18
  • Harvesters of Souls
5x Khorne Berzerkers (80): 97
  • Champion with power axe & chainsword 3
  • 4x Chainaxes & chainsword 4
  • Icon of Wrath 10
  • Khorne, Harvesters of Souls
  • Icon of Wrath 10
  • Icon of Wrath 10
Chaos Rhino (70): 72
  • Combi-bolter 2
  • Harvesters of Souls
  • Combi-bolter 2
  • Harvesters of Souls
  • Combi-bolter 2
  • Harvesters of Souls

Vanguard Detachment +1CP 
Exalted Champion (70): 74
  • Power Sword & bolt pistol 4
  • Harvesters of Souls
  • Icon of Wrath 10
8x Khorne Berzerkers (128): 148
  • 7× Chainaxes & chainsword 7
  • Icon of Wrath 10
5 Possessed (110): 110
  • Horrendous mutations
  • Harvesters of Souls
  • Horrendous mutations
  • Harvesters of Souls
  • Horrendous mutations
  • Harvesters of Souls
TOTAL: 2000 POINTS

Basically the Berzerkers go into the Rhinos with the DA and the EC and everything else footslogs, advancing every turn (except cultists and DP) to maximise the use of Dark Raiders. They're 13 drops, so it won't go first much, but it is a MSU style list so that isn't easy to fix. I don't know if the possessed are really worth it even with two wounds, so if they don't turn out too well I will exchange them for Noise Marines.
What do you think? Do you see the list having success? It may not be a tournament winner, but still a cool thing to play without getting smashed.

It looks like a really fun list. I always include Warp Talons with Huron using Warp Time. But that's just me. I think the list will probably have people scrambling for high ground. I love the use of possessed which I'm dying to use in this codex.

Daemon Prince is deadly enough already without the elixer, I think you'd get more utility out of giving your dark apostle the Black Mace.  Overal output of the two added together might not be much different, but it would make your apostle an actual threat in and of himself in addition to his buffing auras.  More pieces to work with.

It looks like a really fun list. I always include Warp Talons with Huron using Warp Time. But that's just me. I think the list will probably have people scrambling for high ground. I love the use of possessed which I'm dying to use in this codex.

I've gotten some pretty great results with Possessed so far. Used them yesterday in Iron Warriors as a counterpunch behind my Cultist Screen.

Yeah, fun is what I was aiming for. I've used Warp Talons with a jump Sorcerer many times for some disruptive charges and, while they're certainly a good option, they're also very point consuming, and get easily blocked by screens. But if I don't like the bikers I could go for that.

What is the harvesters of souls things? Your warband 's keyword or anything else? 

Yeah, sorry for that, forgot to exchange it for "Renegade", already got used to doing it for personal use, I enjoy so much being able to put my army name and it having an effect in-game :P!

Daemon Prince is deadly enough already without the elixer, I think you'd get more utility out of giving your dark apostle the Black Mace.  Overal output of the two added together might not be much different, but it would make your apostle an actual threat in and of himself in addition to his buffing auras.  More pieces to work with.

Apostle only has 3 attacks, and I don't even get him stuck into combat that much, he's there for the auras mainly, and charging with him could get him killed. Also the elixir puts the prince with Talons at S8, which means that he wounds MEQs on 2+ and Rhinos or such at 3+, which is a huge buff

I've gotten some pretty great results with Possessed so far. Used them yesterday in Iron Warriors as a counterpunch behind my Cultist Screen.

Really excited to try them out, the extra wound might make them actually worth it!

Nice :D I'm planning on using them the same way in my Death Guard, what size squad did you run them as???

Nice :biggrin.: I'm planning on using them the same way in my Death Guard, what size squad did you run them as???

Ran them in 6 with Mark of Slaanesh. I'd do 7 for yours and give them the Nurgle Icon to break people that they hit.

With the renegade's trait is it possible to advance after disembarking from something like a dreadclaw or Karybdis after you deep strike it??? Drop some possessed right in front of the enemy, advance then charge :D Edited by Plaguecaster

With the renegade's trait is it possible to advance after disembarking from something like a dreadclaw or Karybdis after you deep strike it??? Drop some possessed right in front of the enemy, advance then charge :biggrin.:

Unfortunately no. The rules say a unit that arrives from reserves can't move or advance that turn. ^^

Initially I thought bikers would be a nice way to use this trait but when I look at their stats on paper they seem pretty anemic for close combat. Is this true or are you lords have a better experience. I'm assuming throwing these at weak-ish shooty squads in the back is the way to go. Are three man biker groups enough or should the squads be larger?

Nah, bikes are pretty bad. I mean they never were really good in melee themselves to begin with but they were useful to get your Biker Lord to his target while also having some neat Melta to screw some vehicle.

Now that they can't really act as durable and fast Lord carrier anymore they lost their purpose.

I think biker may work on units of 5-6 men, with a couple special weapons, power weapon on the champ and go for soft targets.

With a 6 man squad you have 12 bolter shots plus the two specials, everyone with chainsords. Maybe slaaneshi or nugley for firing twice or having a fear banner.

If you go for hordes (maybe not the best idea) take 2 flamers, use the slaanesh strar and fire twice for 24 bolter shots and 4D6 flamer hits, about 14 on average. Then charge to grind them up a bit.

Heck I'm running the odds xD

vs GEQ

24 shots

16 hits

10,6 wounds

7,11 dead

plus

14 flamer hits

9,33 wounds

6,22 dead

for a total of 13 dead GEQ

then CQC

13 attacks

8,66 hits

5,77 wounds

3,81 kills

So about 16 or 17 dead GEQ. Not sure if worth it, but they can also tie in devastators/shotty units even if they don't kill them all.

I'd love to have an excuse to field some, because I bought 2 ork bike boxes to convert some CSM bikers.

Honestly I'm glad bikers/jetbikes are not the king of the game anymore. Always didn't like how bikes were far superior to almost all basic infantry and that they combined being reliably tough to most fire and being super fast. What I like now is bikers seem to be in their proper place. As a small, fast special weapons platform they are fairly reliable, and I agree with Aiwas I think they really have a place as an anti horde unit since they can combine combi bolters and flamers for a solid amount of s4 shots. I think that's a perfectly fine role for them if you want to take a small unit, and I plan on trying out my old small 3 man melta unit. They just aren't the auto include they use to be.

Yeah I'm glad they aren't the king anymore but I'd like them to be a bit more useful. Well maybe their purpose now is to get to the enemy shooty units quick and to tie them up. Should work extremely well with the Renegades trait due the fix 6" advance.

Yeah I'm glad they aren't the king anymore but I'd like them to be a bit more useful. Well maybe their purpose now is to get to the enemy shooty units quick and to tie them up. Should work extremely well with the Renegades trait due the fix 6" advance.

I agree. I never liked how strong all bike/ jet bike types got in 7th but a good middle ground would have been nice. I'm hoping the move, advance, flame , charge makes it work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Renegades vs World Eaters.

My army can play very easily as either of the above.

I've always loved Khârn but was so disappointed with him in the index, I gave up. I do see him running behind a Lord of Skulls super heavy as s fun/goofy thing to try .....what a bizarre firebase that would make!

While Huron won't knock anyone's socks off, he's decent value. Having two Sorc powers with the Hamidraya seems to mean he can Smite but that's it. That's okay I guess, as long as Warp Time is available....and a second cheap Tzeentch Sorc should keep my possessed alive a touch longer.

So WE don't have that, they rely on work around to get past Smite fest and slow movement.

I have a feeling Red Corsairs may prove ultimately more successful against a wider foe type while having more flexibility in army build.... would you guys agree?

Regardless I do get to finally try my first renegade game tonight. Should be fun!

I think biker may work on units of 5-6 men, with a couple special weapons, power weapon on the champ and go for soft targets.

With a 6 man squad you have 12 bolter shots plus the two specials, everyone with chainsords. Maybe slaaneshi or nugley for firing twice or having a fear banner.

If you go for hordes (maybe not the best idea) take 2 flamers, use the slaanesh strar and fire twice for 24 bolter shots and 4D6 flamer hits, about 14 on average. Then charge to grind them up a bit.

Heck I'm running the odds xD

vs GEQ

24 shots

16 hits

10,6 wounds

7,11 dead

plus

14 flamer hits

9,33 wounds

6,22 dead

for a total of 13 dead GEQ

then CQC

13 attacks

8,66 hits

5,77 wounds

3,81 kills

So about 16 or 17 dead GEQ. Not sure if worth it, but they can also tie in devastators/shotty units even if they don't kill them all.

I'd love to have an excuse to field some, because I bought 2 ork bike boxes to convert some CSM bikers.

Don't need the Slaanesh stratagem to get 24 Bolter shots in close. Combi-Bolters are Rapid Fire 2, thus 4 shots each at 12 in. You get 24 just from having 6 bikes.

Can hand carry the specials instead of replacing the bolters, so you can still get some plasma going at 12 in as well.