Opinions on Forge World models?

Spaz

So back again with more questions. Looking at near future purchases to flesh out what I already have and I was hoping to get some opinions and information.

What are people's opinions on forge world models? In Particular the Landspeeder Tempest, Xiphon pattern Interceptor and Storm Eagle? Are they OP? Would I easily be able to play using them?

I was looking at landspeeder varriants and found the tempest. Then down the rabbit hole I went, and found I was looking at flyers, I've never used any flyers before. The Storm Raven was suggested to me and although I am strongly considering it, the forge world stuff looks so much better.

Thank you for your time.

Generally speaking, most of the stuff is decent, as the above poster said, the Scorpius is decent. That said, anything in the Sicaran line (bar the Punisher, its solid, but overcosted for what it does imo)

That said, if you need a centerpiece (or want, my suggestion is to convert one from the baneblade kit), the Falchion is probably our best superheavy followed by the Typhon. The fellblade is solid too, don't get me wrong, but the Falchion has a twin volcano cannon (its disgusting, though a little over 800 points for the model). The Falchion will quite literally remove units in one shot. 

Also, the Mortis pattern dreads (CONTEMPTOR KHERES!!!!!) 

Oh and the Xiphon is just stupidly efficient for the points, it has the survivability (slightly reduced read: 3 less wounds) of a Raven and roughly the same firepower (two twin lascannons and its rotary launcher is nothing to sneeze at) for 210 points. 

Edited by Exark

Forgeworld is nice, the models are cool and some of them are just pure gold stats-wise.

One thing to note though: it is most of all Resin, and working with Resin is a whole different ballgame then Plastic. The parts are larger, more fragile and of different structure making them harder to paint but most of all harder to model. On the small models you won't really notice it as a special character usually fits quite ok, but on the larger models you are looking at a much more difficult assembly. Usually parts don't 100% fit and require some serious time to put together using a file to get rid of moldlines and parts that don't fit, or greenstuff to fill up small holes.

Don't let it discourage you though. Some of the models look really awesome and given some good time, can look very rewarding. Just take your time with them and don't expect a quick assembly.

You didn't really mention your experience in modelling in your start post so I just figured I would tell you about this since this was basically my surprise when my first Forgeworld models arrives.

I've tested loads of the FW models extensively now, and here's my opinions (In a friendly and tournament environment):

Spartan: Fantastic

Xiphon: Very good, superior to a Stormhawk and now the Talon as it can't hold objectives

Scorpius: Very good, can really annoy an opponent

Sicaran: Actually performs well but attracts a lot of attention. The Sicaran Venator might be the better choice now as a dedicated high mobility tank hunter.

Stormagle: Not worth it over a Raven imo

Relic Contemptor: Never take the normal Contemptor over this guy

Chaplain Dread: Brilliant fire support and counter charge unit. He's a 9 wound character!

Edited by Ishagu

Thanks for all replies! I just got back into the hobby after a 10-ish year break. I'm not sure where I stand on how experienced I am with model difficulty as I've just picked it up again but I don't get discouraged easily.

@SkimaskMohawk- Sounds like the Stormraven would be better for me then. I don't have any dreadnaughts yet but I'm looking at picking one up.

@Exark- I don't have a centerpiece yet but then again I don't even have an army, more like a small strike force. The Xiphon may just end up being the one I get. Everybody seems to agree it's good but not overpowered. Being new to the hobby also means I'm new to the community, and I do not want to come across as as a power player.

@Gerhard- thanks for the heads up, I noticed that a lot of it was resin but I didn't realize it needed that much more attention. I'll watch some YouTube tutorials.

@Tberos the Red Wake- Thanks for heads up, sounds like I should start with an easier kit.

@Ishagu- Thank you for the run down. Are any of those better at different points than not? I need to look more into the Chaplain Dread and Relic Contemptor. I want to start out at around 1000 and build up. As it stands I have somewhere around 800 with expensive load outs.

@Immersturm- Noted, do not get a Thunderhawk.

Thanks again for all the help. It's appreciated.

You'll find a lot of the FW models to be quite pricey. They also attract attention so they are best at the 2K size game where you have plenty of unit saturation.

The Relic Contemptor isn't much more expensive than the regular variant (you can use the GW plastic model as one) but he's far superior.

Fire Raptor is pure dakka, but it will get focussed.

Caestus is brilliant, turn one twin linked magnamelta and missiles AND it is filled with up to 10 terminators.

Deredeos are great dakka, but I think the Chaos version is superior.

Relic temptors are the bees knees. Amazing chassis with amazing weapons - fist heavy flamers in chainfists is scary.

Falchion, not yet used but it will kill everything it touches.

Deimos predators are fun because of the wacky guns. I love my Infernus/heavy flamer predators. Where is your infantry horde now, mortal!

Xiphon is just solid aa. I would take it if I knew my opponent was taking flyers instantly. Stormtalons and Stormravens are excellent with it.

Not to mention the vast array of infantry bits, upgrade sprues and HQs.

I don't think the Chaos Deredeo is superior.

The weapon is more impressive but it's a lot more expensive! A loyalist Deredeo with Autocannons, Missiles and Heavy Bolters is only 232 points.

Edited by Ishagu

I don't think the Chaos Deredeo is superior.

The weapon is more impressive but it's a lot more expensive! A loyalist Deredeo with Autocannons, Missiles and Heavy Bolters is only 232 points.

Yes but does it have butcher cannons? I thought not, checkmate Chaos Deredeo.

Not to mention it's missile system literally has the word "greater" in it. You dont even need to go beyond the name to know it's superior :p

Those butcher Cannons (which only really add a leadership debuff I believe?) push the cost to around 300 points on a unit that is no more survivable.

Deredeo already has 8 str8 shots that hit on a 2 from it's main Cannon.

Those butcher Cannons (which only really add a leadership debuff I believe?) push the cost to around 300 points on a unit that is no more survivable.

Yeah but how much cooler is it to declare you're firing your butcher cannons at somebody? You say autocannon they're like, meh ok; but butcher cannons? Ohhh noooes, the Archenemy has struck me down with the coolest sounding gun ever. 

The -2 leadership debuff applies to the player too :D

I guess the loyalist version is ok. I plan to use mine with the pavise with 5 lascannon devs in ruins with it for a lil bunker o' doom.

Yeah but how much cooler is it to declare you're firing your butcher cannons at somebody? You say autocannon they're like, meh ok; but butcher cannons? Ohhh noooes, the Archenemy has struck me down with the coolest sounding gun ever.

The -2 leadership debuff applies to the player too :D

I guess the loyalist version is ok. I plan to use mine with the pavise with 5 lascannon devs in ruins with it for a lil bunker o' doom.

50 Shades of Meat.

What do you guys think of the Leviathan? I've been eyeing one up ever since the very early teasers for 8th edition but I've yet to play against one.

Prot, it's expensive but really good!

It's more survivable than a Landraider - t8, 14 wounds, 2+, 4++

The Grav Bombard is a spectacular weapon, truly scary although short range.

The Chaos Leviathan is less survivable due to a 5+ invul but you have a psychic power to make it move twice which means it has a massive threat range. Double grav for Chaos definitely.

I run my loyalist variant with Grav or Melta array and a Siege Drill.

Edited by Ishagu

I read a melta lance can one shot raiders/knights etc.

Gravflux should be dubbed "Annihilator of Hordes"

Well, the Grav Flux is pretty handy at killing vehicles to. One of them stripped 15 wounds off my Landraider. Against a horde unit 2 can cause 40+ casualties with ease.

Edited by Ishagu