Opinions on Forge World models?

Spaz

I have had quite a bit of success with my Cyclonic Melta Lance dread. It just does a ton of work and my opponents are very scared of it so it dies almost every game but always take its points worth with it plus some. Its large base size and the way I tend to group my army and send them up the board makes it a good target for the "Wisdom of the Ancients" Stratagem. For 1 CP you can re-roll all friendly chapter units to hit rolls of one within 6'' for a turn. Including the Dreadnought itself. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404

The Typhon is basically what the Vindicator should be.  I was all for the Chaplain Dread at first but then I realized its +1 Strength aura only works if units are fighting the same unit as the Dread, which is far less impressive or useful.  So, not that big on it really (especially with all the work scratch building an Inferno Cannon would entail).

In general I don't go for FW.  Their rules can be stupidly good (FW dreads are generally brutal), but I just don't like working with resin or its fragility, and plastic is already expensive enough.

Edited by Firepower

I have many FW models but I feel like every single one of them is very expensive points wise. Not sure of which are really worth bringing to the table.

I have:

2 regular Sicarans

2 Deredeo (1 autocannon, 1 lascannon)

2 Leviathan (1 Melta, 1 Grav)

2 Laser Vindicators

1 Typhon

3 Quad Mortars

And as my plan is playing an Imperium army consisting of both AM and UM there is even less space to fit the beautiful FW models

The FW index only has rules for rapiers with quad heavy bolters or a laser destroyer, where are people seeing 8th Ed rules for the quad mortar version?

The quad mortar rules only seem to be for the Achilles.

As for quad mortar vs thunderfire, if you look at the rules for the Achilles quad motar thunderfire shells are the same range, strength and damage but have 0 rend so not as good as the thunderfire cannon.

But the quad mortar can fire shatter shells. 24" range, damage 3 hvy 4. Strength and rend as per a krak missile.

Quad mortar is 10pts more the a thunderfire if you include the cost of a rapier chassis. Both then need the cost of crew added.

but I just don't like working with resin or its fragility

Don't even remind me how many melee weapons, antennas, banners, chains, and poles have become no-go bits box inhabitants because of this, I'm going to have war flashbacks.

How fragil is FW stuff? Just got my first GW resin kit, "finecast" and its very lacking, a lot of bubbles and flash not to mention manys parts have already either warped or snapped. I tryed to reinforce certain areas with brass rod and it just crumbled, greestuff work will be needed. So far I'm not a fan. Is this the same material FW uses?

but I just don't like working with resin or its fragility

Don't even remind me how many melee weapons, antennas, banners, chains, and poles have become no-go bits box inhabitants because of this, I'm going to have war flashbacks.

How fragil is FW stuff? Just got my first GW resin kit, "finecast" and its very lacking, a lot of bubbles and flash not to mention manys parts have already either warped or snapped. I tryed to reinforce certain areas with brass rod and it just crumbled, greestuff work will be needed. So far I'm not a fan. Is this the same material FW uses?

FW seemed to briefly experiment with 'finecast'-esque resin a little while ago, but that was thankfully shortlived. Finecast in my experience has largely been garbage, FW are sometimes a bit hit and miss on quality control, but there's nowt wrong with the resin they use; especially if finecast is your point of comparison.

FW resin is far superior in every way. It can be a pain to remove connections from the casting gates, but they're generally not in completely dumb spots, like the finecast is.

Some kits are worse to assemble than others. I have a couple now:

Relic contemptor: fits well, but difficult to build due to the multitude of parts used for posing. Once done, it's great.

Deredeo: good model. Not as possible due to the build, and therefore, easier.

Fire Raptor: most difficult model I know of. Due to the way it's constructed with the thin sides, it's warped and therefore, very difficult to get straight. I love it's looks and rules, but the build was a pain. Only for the brave hearted or masochists.

Sicaran venator: great model, easy peasy. Fits well, looks great.

Spartan: best of the bunch. Great build, looks fantastic, murders a ton of stuff and transports even more. Expensive both in mohnehz and in points though

Mortars were previously the definitive 'FW does it better' model.  Better than a Thunderfire in many regards and almost half the price.  Where does it stand now?

Vs. MEQ, not nearly as good as they used to be. The lack of battery really hurts it, and the severely shortened range for it's shatter shells get's it way to close up for me to be comfortable. I'm sure it'll be somewhat nasty to hordes into the open with out cover saves at the least.

I will say that the Javelin and Mortis Contemptors are pretty good, the Kheres especially so. Tyberos the Red Wake as an HQ is a beast, an utter beautiful beast.

@sockwithaticket- Thanks for the good news. If FW was using the finecast stuff I'd probably pass. This stuff is terriable.

@Helycon- Great! The Relic Contemptor and Xiphon are on my to get list. I've been eying the Spartan but just can't justify it right now (army wise) and the Fire Raptor looks amazing but I've just jumped back into the hobby and want to re-gain some experience before I tackle it.

Fire Raptor :- PITA to build, but lovely once finished.

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought:- Fiddly, but doable.

Vindicator Laser Destroyer:- fairly friendly if you don't use Gel Superglue. You want thin stuff for this.

Sicarian Punisher:- Lovely kit, went together with some difficulty, because I used gel superglue.

Land Raider Proteus:- Bit Fiddly, bit warped. Lots of Green Stuff in some areas.

Raven Guard Dark Furies:- Lovely models to put together, air bubbles add to the "battle-damaged" effect.

Combi-weapons:- Not much to say really, sculpted well, fit the HH plastics nicely.

Heavy Weapons:- I found bending the ammo feeds on the lascannons a nightmare, but I have sausage-fingers. However, I didn't let that stop me buying the Plasma Cannons.

MK IV Assault Squad:- Very dynamic, otherwise, can't tell the difference from my kitbashed plastic ones.

Shoulder Pads:- Not much to say here. They generally fit well, provide what you want them to, and are not too bad in value for money.

Brass Etch:- Never used this stuff before I picked some up last weekend. However, it does take paint Well, if you want to paint it. I haven't used it bare yet.

Transfers:- High resolution text and images, can be fragile if the water is too hot. I use relief cuts to fit them around shoulder pads or other curved surfaces, don't forget to gloss varnish the surface first. You can always Matt it afterwards.

Pyro-Clasts:- My wife has a packet of these, and the sculpting and detail is insane.

Just a little personal experience from working with Forgeworld's resin and the kits/accessories I've used.

Thunderhawk Gunship is you want to lose cash and friends.

Last time I played against one of those I think was an Apocalipse game in 5 th edition.... it came in, shot a bunch of stuff, attracted fire, and blew up.......when it was occupied.....with a Chapter Master.....and retinue of Chapter Captains..... and a bunch of other super elite guys.....there were no survivors. The owner rage quit that game.

Thunderhawk Gunship is you want to lose cash and friends.

Last time I played against one of those I think was an Apocalipse game in 5 th edition.... it came in, shot a bunch of stuff, attracted fire, and blew up.......when it was occupied.....with a Chapter Master.....and retinue of Chapter Captains..... and a bunch of other super elite guys.....there were no survivors. The owner rage quit that game.
Duh.

If you bring something you know is going to attract a lot of fire, don't load it full of stuff you don't want to lose.

Edit: I concur on the Fire Raptor. It is a PAIN. I barely stopped myself from throwing it across the room a few times, only by reminding myself how much it cost.

The worst part is a lot of the warpage is so subtle that you don't notice, and the combination if 3 warped pieces means there's no way in hell to make the 4th poece fit.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Maybe I got lucky, but my Raptor build was fairly straight forward, I mostly dry fit the fuselage together before I soaked it in hot water and more or less molded it to shape. From there it's pretty easy since it's all smaller sub-assemblies that more or less but up against each other without having to glue first.. I would say the Fellblade was a more difficult model to get lined up right (and mine isn't...) The Leviathan was a joy to build, as were the Deredeo and Contemptor.