Is "Dimitar", the fortress-monastery's name, a reference to the Greek goddess Demeter?

When I saw the name, my first thought was to the Russian freighter Demeter, which brought Count Dracula to England in Bram Stoker's classic novel. Will there be 'Dracula' references in your IA as well, maybe to bring up the "Did you just punch out Cthulhu?" trope, so all will know your Marines are fearless and indomitable?

Is "Dimitar", the fortress-monastery's name, a reference to the Greek goddess Demeter?

When I saw the name, my first thought was to the Russian freighter Demeter, which brought Count Dracula to England in Bram Stoker's classic novel. Will there be 'Dracula' references in your IA as well, maybe to bring up the "Did you just punch out Cthulhu?" trope, so all will know your Marines are fearless and indomitable?

It is rooted from that Greek goddess

Good catch, I had/have/am considering it, thinking it could be a way of adding in Primaris marines. Need to learn more about the Primaris founding (Behind on that).

I want a scene where Cthulhu breaks free of the Vault and prepares to open a Warp portal that will end all life on Nahmu... only for Capt. Vlad Drakulya (phonetic spelling of "Dracula") to tear off the Daemon's tentacles and use Cthulhu's own severed limbs to beat the Daemon until it retreats unto the Vault. Afterwards, no nonsense about how "the stars are right" will ever lure Cthulhu away from the safety of its prison.

Alternately, name the Captain "Conan de Cimmeria" (Robert E. Howard regularly discussed literature with H. P. Lovecraft, and contributed some stories to Cthulhu mythos).

I want a scene where Cthulhu breaks free of the Vault and prepares to open a Warp portal that will end all life on Nahmu... only for Capt. Vlad Drakulya (phonetic spelling of "Dracula") to tear off the Daemon's tentacles and use Cthulhu's own severed limbs to beat the Daemon until it retreats unto the Vault. Afterwards, no nonsense about how "the stars are right" will ever lure Cthulhu away from the safety of its prison.

Alternately, name the Captain "Conan de Cimmeria" (Robert E. Howard regularly discussed literature with H. P. Lovecraft, and contributed some stories to Cthulhu mythos).

So the classic (Primaris) reinformements arrive just in time as Cthulhu has broken his bonds, and the fate of the Nahmu and the Imperium hangs in the balance. Captain Conan de Cimmeria does an orbital dive into Dimitar, bursting through one of the remaining breach proof doors, he throws himself at the beast as a last ditch attempt. Using his combat knife to gain purchase, he is able to pries off one of the monsters limbs. Which he then proceeds to use to pummel back into the Vault and reactivate the containment protocols. Sounds pretty epic to me

Edited by Minigiant

Its implant is a ceremonial procedure in which the recruit will have the Passage of [NAME] recited by an onlooking Void Stalker...

How about naming this ritual after Enki, Nahmu's son and creator of the human race in Babylonian mythology?

Thats a good idea, I will take it.

I am going to get back to edits and additions on Monday (Day Off)

I keep looking for passages from The Call of Cthulhu to paraphrase

Think I have another one:

"The Emperor still lives. What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise.
Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering worlds of man. A time will
come - but I must not and cannot think! Let me pray that, if you do not survive this manuscript, my executors
may put caution before audacity and see that it meets no other eye."

I do not know how to incorporate yet however. Maybe actually be the Passage of Anki

"The Emperor still lives. What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise.

Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering worlds of man. A time will come - but I must not and cannot think! Let me pray that, if you do not survive this manuscript, my executors may put caution before audacity and see that it meets no other eye."

I think Magos Abdul Hazred is the best source of the quote. Say he wanted to personally inspect the Chapter he helped create, but the ship he took to Nahmu had suffered a Geller field failure, allowing Daemons to board the ship before the Skitarii onboard could repel them. Afterwards, the Denizens of the Deep impounded the ship and interned all aboard, while the Inquisition inspected them for signs of Chaos-taint.

During his internment, Hazred claimed he gained prophetic powers, penned a book of prophecies (which he passed to a Void Stalker), and then self-destructed before the Inquisition announced its decision.

Even now- centuries after the Magos' death- the Inquisition and the Denizens of the Deep remain uncertain whether Hazred was tainted or not. And the "Emperor" the prophecies refer to: Is it the Emperor of Mankind, or the pretender to that title, i.e., Horus?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

During his internment, Hazred claimed he gained prophetic powers, penned a book of prophecies (which he passed to a Void Stalker), and then self-destructed before the Inquisition announced its decision.

Even now- centuries after the Magos' death- the Inquisition and the Denizens of the Deep remain uncertain whether Hazred was tainted or not. And the "Emperor" the prophecies refer to: Is it the Emperor of Mankind, or the pretender to that title, i.e., Horus?

So this has been added with a bit of a re-write in the Origins sections. I called the books Memoirs of Abdul Hazred. Unsure on the name but at this moment it does the job. Need name for Mars ship, and class type.

I have added a small paragraph in recruitment better explaining the "press ganging"/recruitment on Nahmu. Often well received by those not of sound body and mind, for they are well rewarded for their offerings.

Added known planets that pay Reparations in the form of recruits

I think that is a lot of what I needed to immediately do. I still want to write a short blurb of Primaris marines arriving, as well as continue fleshing out history and known members, relics etc

Next piece of artwork from Blazbaros

Void Stalker:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/b093454bbecd1d896439809f9669f161/tumblr_inline_ow5dhs4I4o1tb1qq6_500.png

I want to add a Bjorn the Fell-Handed type character. If anyone has any ideas let me know

Edited by Minigiant

Just taken the time to read through your IA, and wow, great work, this is a really cool idea. I like that the Lovecraftian influence is subtle but pervasive, in the best way. 

I also feel a bit bad that my corsairs have a similar insignia and also the title of 'fleet-master' - great minds think alike apparently! How many times have you been asked if your space marines are Greyjoys, because it's happened to me a few times haha.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :) 

Also, if you want a Bjorn-style ancient dreadnought, perhaps take advantage of the gradual derangement that happens to dreadnoughts over time, so that your chapter's ancient, wise dreadnought is also slowly losing his mind - the descent into madness is one of my favourite Lovecraftian elements.

Just taken the time to read through your IA, and wow, great work, this is a really cool idea. I like that the Lovecraftian influence is subtle but pervasive, in the best way.

Thank you

I also feel a bit bad that my corsairs have a similar insignia and also the title of 'fleet-master' - great minds think alike apparently! How many times have you been asked if your space marines are Greyjoys, because it's happened to me a few times haha.

Well the administratum is known for making these types of mistakes. Easily canon explained.

No I have not yet had any reference to the Greyjoys

Also, if you want a Bjorn-style ancient dreadnought, perhaps take advantage of the gradual derangement that happens to dreadnoughts over time, so that your chapter's ancient, wise dreadnought is also slowly losing his mind - the descent into madness is one of my favourite Lovecraftian elements.

That is indeed the best course for action, and the way I have been leaning. I just dont yet have the lightbulb moment for something that would do H.P Lovecrafts work justice. I know I want this Brother to be encased inside a Leviathan dreadnought. (That will be the oldest relic of the Inquiliana Abyssi)

Even started brainstorming names so '_______ the Great Old One'

1. Hypnos

2. Nodens

3. Azathoth

4. Summanus

I need to start compiling a file of potential campaign badges too

Edited by Minigiant

Ooh, leviathan dread, nice. Cool idea.

I know your chapter isn't totally au fait with psykers, but perhaps not-Bjorn could be the chapters first chief librarian, someone with terrible knowledge of the chapter's origins, thousands of years of wisdom and power, and a slowly failing mind? I know there are no rules for librarian-leviathans, but if that doesn't faze you, I think that would be cool.

Ooh, leviathan dread, nice. Cool idea.

I know your chapter isn't totally au fait with psykers, but perhaps not-Bjorn could be the chapters first chief librarian, someone with terrible knowledge of the chapter's origins, thousands of years of wisdom and power, and a slowly failing mind? I know there are no rules for librarian-leviathans, but if that doesn't faze you, I think that would be cool.

That is a cool idea. I am not too fussed with rules, this is intended to be a BFG force when it gets re released. I also have hopes for it in a bigger project, which I will see if it has legs in the coming weeks/months

I recently read this George R.R. Martin story of how Jaime Lannister can defeat Cthulhu. "Elder signs" on arms and armor, worn as protective symbols, are one good idea; another is prioritizing enemy psykers as targets.

By the way, how does the Chapter view Culexus Assassins and other anti-psyker units?

Amazingly cool concept Minigiant.

I love how your Chapter is dedicated to keeping the sinister secret of the deep from escaping! So cool and thematic!

My only concern is the stringent devotion to the Imperial Creed prevalent in your Chapter.

I always thought (and had read) that most Chapters shun religion as per the Emperor's wishes.

Even Guilliman upon his return was shocked at the state of the Imperium and how zealous humans had become towards worshipping the God-Emperor which is something He (The Emperor) never wanted.

They can have their Chapter beliefs and customs, but to wholeheartedly be devoted to the Imperial Creed is more of a Sisters thing isn't it?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep up the good work!

A Librarian Dreadnought going insane as he dreams of darkness, is a good idea. The Leviathan Dreadnought, though... Did Forge World ever make a Librarian Leviathan Dreadnought an option?

No they didn't :-(

I recently read this George R.R. Martin story of how Jaime Lannister can defeat Cthulhu. "Elder signs" on arms and armor, worn as protective symbols, are one good idea; another is prioritizing enemy psykers as targets.

By the way, how does the Chapter view Culexus Assassins and other anti-psyker units?

That is a cool story, if I gave my Fleet Masters terminator armour elder signs, makes them even darker. Elder signs could even designate someone of the inner circle. Need it to protect themselves in the containment hall

I had not considered it, either they firmly oppose such things, or as they are Emperor approved they tolerate them

Amazingly cool concept Minigiant.

I love how your Chapter is dedicated to keeping the sinister secret of the deep from escaping! So cool and thematic!

My only concern is the stringent devotion to the Imperial Creed prevalent in your Chapter.

I always thought (and had read) that most Chapters shun religion as per the Emperor's wishes.

Even Guilliman upon his return was shocked at the state of the Imperium and how zealous humans had become towards worshipping the God-Emperor which is something He (The Emperor) never wanted.

They can have their Chapter beliefs and customs, but to wholeheartedly be devoted to the Imperial Creed is more of a Sisters thing isn't it?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep up the good work!

You are not wrong a majority of chapters are like that. For the last ones that did (Word Bearers) turned the Imperium into fire. However, there are still Canon chapters that do, the Black Templars being the most notable. I have taken ideas from both of those forces. My Void Stalkers are inspired by Dark Apostles (Imperialised of course). And I have stripped away the knightly crusade thing from the Black templars and inserted that into the chapter. Hence why some of the asseverations are similar to BT oaths

Edited by Minigiant

I think Culexus Assassins and blanks should be viewed as weapons, the way a loyal Space Marine views himself. If it's effective against the enemy, the weapon should be used; if it's ineffective (or worse, tainted), it should be discarded/destroyed and replaced with an effective (and loyal) weapon.

I think Culexus Assassins and blanks should be viewed as weapons, the way a loyal Space Marine views himself. If it's effective against the enemy, the weapon should be used; if it's ineffective (or worse, tainted), it should be discarded/destroyed and replaced with an effective (and loyal) weapon.

Makes sense. I have a section for Relations that is "COMING SOON" I can add all of this sort of stuff here. Including relations with the Sisters, Mechanicus, Militarum, Inquiition etc

Some work on a bit of background for my not-Bjorn dreadnought

Summanus, the Great Old One –

Brother Summanus, the Great Old One, encased in his sarcophagus, cringed in the great crypts of Dimitar, facing two brothers in front of him. One was the Keeper of Dread, clear from the elder sign etched into his blue power armour, and the other Void stalker Neoptolemus with his blonde hair and dark blue eyes. Although Summanus did not know how, these two brothers had managed to wake him, using his psychic link like no one had ever done before. “I don’t know what you two want….” Summanus bellowed to the two relatively young brothers.

“What we need, brother Summanus, is information,” the Keeper of Dread said

“About brother Iacchus and brother Kreios” Neoptolemus quickly added

“Iacchus and Kreios!? The Traitors!? Summanus bellowed; loud enough to wake all that slumber, if for only a brief moment. “Down here, those names are not spoken. After the accursed dark prophets, Iacchus and Kreios are hated and despised by all Denizens loyal to the One Emperor.”

“Why?” Neoptolemus carefully broached

“Because they led the Apostle revolution that attempted to overthrow Master Proteus and his council. I myself was one of them. Once, I was close to the Master. Look at me now, I have nothing!.” Summanus lurched towards the two brothers before him “You want my help to destroy them?”

“Maybe soon” the Keeper of Dread replied “Any information you have may be very useful.”

“I have something” Summanus said in his slow rumbling voice. “I procured a locket of sorts when cleansing [NAME] in the Ainu system. Iacchus and Kreois sort to use the contents of the locket against Master Proteus, to install themselves as the Dark Apostles of the Denizens of the Deep.”

“We know it was thwarted by your actions”, the two brothers said in unison

“Indeed, but I believe that that same relic could now be brought to bear against the two traitorous scum” Summanus went on to describe the relic, how it worked, and what it contained.

“Thank you, Brother Summanus, you’ve told us exactly what we wanted to know” Neoptolemus said placing his hand on his armour to bless the oldest and most venerable of Abyssi brothers

“Master Phanes will take it from here” the Keeper of Dread muttered

Phanes? Master Phanes? No, it can’t be! It can’t! Summanus thought in disbelief as a cowled figure standing a head taller than the rest entered the crypt and came towards them

“You heard, Master Phanes?” Neoptolemus asked

“I heard,” Phanes replied, “Yes, we can use this weapon.” Phanes then turned to the silent Summanus. “We thank you for your guidance, however your usefulness is still not through. Rest for now old brother, you will be called upon again before long.”

Revenge for the Past

So I want to use this image somehow. Either as a campaign badge or as the chapter symbol for the Leviathan successor chapter.

Some minor alteration is needed. Turning the white "circles" into Inquisition symbols for example

leviathan.png?w=1000

This looks like a double-headed ax. Will you base a power axe (a Chapter relic, maybe using the rules for the Iron Hands' Axe of Medusa or the Blood Angels' Axe Mortalis) on this image?

So I want to use this image somehow. Either as a campaign badge or as the chapter symbol for the Leviathan successor chapter.

Some minor alteration is needed. Turning the white "circles" into Inquisition symbols for example

[sEE IMAGE ABOVE]

This looks like a double-headed ax. Will you base a power axe (a Chapter relic, maybe using the rules for the Iron Hands' Axe of Medusa or the Blood Angels' Axe Mortalis) on this image?

I had noticed it looks a bit like an axe, hadnt given any thought of making it a chapter relic. It is possible. Then I still need help thinking of some appropriate campaign badges

The Void Stalker devouring the skull of an Ork, Eldar, Tau or Kroot (depending on which xeno species is the enemy) is one idea. Another is the Void Stalker using its tentacles to tear apart the Chaos symbol (I'm taking inspiration from Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company's campaign banner, which show a Blackmane wolf stomping on and shattering the Chaos symbol). Edited by Bjorn Firewalker