8th Ed Codex on the way

Charlo

Hey there :)

As I already mentioned in an other thread I am about do start collecting AdMech as my secondary army.

The start collecting box is on the way to me, but I really can't decide which forgeworld I should take (mainly Mars vs Graia)

- I want to use a core of Rangers and Vanguards (I really like the models) plus some Dragoons for mobility and deepstriking infiltrators, backed up by some heavy support (mainly onagers, maybe some robots)

Which forgeworld is most suitable for this playstyle?

Also if I paint my miniatures in the mars scheme can I still go to tournaments and play them as Graia?

I mean the scheme is pretty similar for normal Skitarii with just another color for the trousers.

I use battalion Graia with dominus warlord +1 cp. Vanguards troops.

Mars the rest battalion. But most competitive might be Mars Stygia. Since if you Graia you ll be in theory resilient but slower. While with stygia you can inflitrate dragoons. If you take them only as screener fast units can work with Graia Mars batt. Still onagers with -1as stygia is v v good. Dragoons inflitrate and -2 ro hit at 12 in a unit of 3-4++ is the way to go so you wont relay on robots alone.

I tried 2* batt graia stygia and spearhead Mars but the tax is big.

Edited by Yoda79

I said I would write my 1st game up vs Necrons so I will, but only briefly as it was a bit of a whitewash. 

I thought it was going to go badly when I won the objectives rolloff and he won first turn.   Winning first rolloff is terrible for AdMech - we want to deploy the last objective to make the board lopsided, then choose to start there. 

However It was a classic case of mismatched armies. Hammer & Anvil (long ways) deployment meant he was constantly too far away from me to do anything. Necrons have OK shooting within 24" and great shooting in 12" but we didn't get that close - mostly a long range gun battle.  Deployment didn't suit him.  Terrain looked pretty but didn't give cover or block much LOS.  Always fun to play 40k but wasn't a classic. 

NXVb38T.jpg?1

Deployment at the battle of Tomb World Bo'wlin'gGreen

If it had ended on Turn 5 he might actually have won as I had lost the maelstrom, but he only had 3 units left and was tabled on T6.  

Basically: Onager, Dakkastelans and Knight Crusader cleaned house. Everyone else stood around and watched. 

Unit highlights:

Rerollasarius Cawl:  Never even got in range to shoot but rerolls are incredible and now having a 9" bubble pushes him over the edge into ridiculous.

Rangers w/2 snipers: Sniped a Cryptek over 2 turns to tone down reanimation protocols. Marginally worth it. 

Breachers: Quite hard to kill, dished out some damage to his vehicles. They did ok. 141 pts is a lot though. Undecided.

Infiltrators: Didn't even deep strike them. Held them back till T3 and realised I just didn't need them.

3 Dakkastelans: With Cawl reroll and Wrath of Mars, it just feels like cheating!  Sickeningly good. Lost 1 wound all game, destroyed anything they looked at.

Icarus Array: Awesome - all his anti-tank had FLY, so this was great.  The 1CP stratagem for Protector Doctrinas means you're hitting non-fly on 2's as well. Just an amazing tank. 

Knight Crusader: Dominant. Ruinous. Would honeestly have been a much more fun game if I'd spent those 540 points on Breachers, Ruststalkers and Vanguard to make it more fair!

---

Need to try the list again against more mobile/deep strikey armies. I did come away thinking "yep, you could just keep the Cawl spearhead and knight and sack the rest off for something better" but I like single faction armies.

Edited by Silentz

Breachers seem a valid option the cost is a problem. I want them in my lists but ...

Knights imdont like since my armynsynergy is healing and dakka. I got ad mech units better healing better dakka. Yes it can melee but so can dragoons priests with deep strike infiltrate. Dont know why would i try single knight. I see a knight list with healers working but not one knightnespecially if i pay 520+ for antihorde weapons. Robots better eventually onagers more resilient since thy go 2+ 5+ rerolling ones with better healing and spread wounds in units. Dont see why we dont get free weapons. Gatling cost = a robot. Why??? In 7th we wanted crusader because he was buffed and we used only icarus effectively. Why would you not take onagers and robots in kight cost?

3 knghts with a stygia can be leathal sure for an elite army yes but if you got the models try it with onagers and Robots you ll enjoy. You ll heal better buff better spread better and get extra points for screener.

Gatling cost = a robot because it hits on 3's, fires 25% more shots than a Robot and has a heavy flamer attached as well.   

Reasons to consider taking a Knight over more Kastelans:

- Hits on 3's rather than 4's... or 5's if you dared to move

- High strength shooting:  S8 shooting that reaches 72" or S9 shooting at 36".   The dakkabots' S6 shooting is mega due to volume of fire, but loses effectiveness against T7+

- Titanic Feet is ridiculous... 12 S8 attacks!

- 12" standard move, as opposed to 8" in turn one then nothing from the bots

- 24 wounds, T8...  harder to kill than 4 T7 bots. 

- Stunning model that's fun to build and play

The downside is Cawl's rerolling everything and Wrath of Mars pushes them into new realms of damage. 

My viewpoint is... Bots or Knights?

1uizv2.jpg

Gatling cost = a robot because it hits on 3's, fires 25% more shots than a Robot and has a heavy flamer attached as well.   

Reasons to consider taking a Knight over more Kastelans:

- Hits on 3's rather than 4's... or 5's if you dared to move

- High strength shooting:  S8 shooting that reaches 72" or S9 shooting at 36".   The dakkabots' S6 shooting is mega due to volume of fire, but loses effectiveness against T7+

- Titanic Feet is ridiculous... 12 S8 attacks!

- 12" standard move, as opposed to 8" in turn one then nothing from the bots

- 24 wounds, T8...  harder to kill than 4 T7 bots. 

- Stunning model that's fun to build and play

The downside is Cawl's rerolling everything and Wrath of Mars pushes them into new realms of damage. 

My viewpoint is... Bots or Knights?

Hey, I bring both in 90% of my lists so I know what you're saying! they are fairly awesome for just about everything, and even a crusader can act as a counter charge for a neutron line / the finisher for when you roll badly for said neutrons. and that is just with a crusader that has a missile launcher!

As for the breachers I just started building a box and I have some hope for them. I think their arc rifles work because of the -2 rend and extra d6, and plus as mentioned before they are hard to kill normally, but with lucius I hope they are even harder. plus, again, they can act as a finisher when you want to shoot at multiple targets, like neutrons and the knight at a brass scorpion and plasma / arc at a predator. 

Ive had problems with my Knight Crusader getting turn one Alpha striked. Lascannons, Krak missiles just rip it to shreds turn one every game. I'm lucky if I have a few wounds left on turn two, and then I'm hitting on 5's without the use of CP.

Don't get me wrong, the Knight is considered a huge threat when it gets going, but I'm considering a Brigade with four Onagers instead of a Knight.

Edited by Perry

Ive had problems with my Knight Crusader getting turn one Alpha striked. Lascannons, Krak missiles just rip it to shreds turn one every game. I'm lucky if I have a few wounds left on turn two, and then I'm hitting on 5's without the use of CP.

Don't get me wrong, the Knight is considered a huge threat when it gets going, but I'm considering a Brigade with four Onagers instead of a Knight.

to be honest if they have enough lascannons to kill a knight then they probably have enough to kill two onagers fairly quickly... plus it all depends on damage rolls. 

to be honest if they have enough lascannons to kill a knight then they probably have enough to kill two onagers fairly quickly... plus it all depends on damage rolls.

Well what I find the difference can be is often it's something like a Pred annhilator and they often don't split fire on Onagers. Also it's nearly impossible to hide a Knight.

I love Knights but personally haven't been too impressed with them in 8th.

I ran pure a pure mechanized list with a cheapo Knight Crusader (TC+Avenger) before the codex. Now that it is out, I find that there are key synergies that would be lost if I went with a Knight. I want 120 points for the Rangers, 104 points for Enginseers, and 2 more Kastelans.

Indeed, I think that I would never run one Knight. However, I would run two. Looking at the new Guard codex, dual Warden with Gauntlet and Stormspear plus a ton of Dragoons and Crawlers looks tempting.

Edited by Suzuteo

Strange, in the last two games my knight paladin was pretty pivotal in how many guys I could take down per turn, as well as for absorbing damage and pretty much acting as a fulcrum for the battle. Hell turn 1 my paladin killed old one eye with zero trouble without even shooting his missiles. the battle cannon can put out a lot of damage combined with missile launcher. Maybe I should get a crusader next time I can... almost wish I did instead of a warhound

Speaking of which I wish my dominus could actually heal his god machine during the game. Not buff, mind you, as that would be plain stupid... but being able to heal four wounds (command point) back is a big deal for such a chart reliant model! If they had keyword titan instead of quest or that would have been fun... aw well!

Gotta say I think I'm sticking with a pure Lucius list... the cawl wall is neat but I always feel kinda prickish when doing stuff like that. Own personal choice though. I will say that I probably need more plasma in the future, as well as points for it... if two squads are deepstriking pretty much every game for me I may as well use the good stuff!

Are you allowed to use the same stratagem twice during deployment or just once like during matched play game phases?

since deployment isn't a phase you can put multiple into orbit as long as you spend command points is the way I understand it. downside is i'm spending at least 2 from my 6 command before the game even starts, and usually 1 for doctrina imperatives so by the time they land I used half of my lot already.  it's an expensive choice, but the last games I played just two squads managed to kill a tervigon when they landed, and in a seperate one a squad of vanguard killed a wraithlord fairly easily and with room to spare, as well as kill some corsairs. also gave a nice distraction in the back field!

well, as the guard codex hits i'm probably going to be using two naked squads of skitarii as a bubble wrap for all the work they will do. kinda dissapointing but I cannot afford to buy another codex right now just so I can use my tech-thralls as guardsmen... then again I could always use my tech thralls as skitarii and cut out the middle man... that moral is killer though. 

also, turbolasers on my warhound dissapointed me yesterday, but I rolled really badly for them. when they work they hit like a truck, and I managed to deal 24 damage to a wave serpent in one shot! too bad that's about all they did with my opponent's good rolling. The vulcan mega-bolter is bloody great on that guy, and I'm almost thinking about running 2 of them... or maybe one flamestorm and one vulcan... either one!

Edited by Tiger9gamer

FAQ is out for the codex. It's brief. Corrected the dunecrawler wounds chart (again).

FAQ answers are fresh converts stratagem dies not require reinforcements points and rolling for canticles with Mars + others detachments is done by rolling one dice first army wide, second dice Mars only.

I think it's fair to say, nothing earth shattering there.

Strange, in the last two games my knight paladin was pretty pivotal in how many guys I could take down per turn, as well as for absorbing damage and pretty much acting as a fulcrum for the battle. Hell turn 1 my paladin killed old one eye with zero trouble without even shooting his missiles. the battle cannon can put out a lot of damage combined with missile launcher. Maybe I should get a crusader next time I can... almost wish I did instead of a warhound

Speaking of which I wish my dominus could actually heal his god machine during the game. Not buff, mind you, as that would be plain stupid... but being able to heal four wounds (command point) back is a big deal for such a chart reliant model! If they had keyword titan instead of quest or that would have been fun... aw well!

Gotta say I think I'm sticking with a pure Lucius list... the cawl wall is neat but I always feel kinda prickish when doing stuff like that. Own personal choice though. I will say that I probably need more plasma in the future, as well as points for it... if two squads are deepstriking pretty much every game for me I may as well use the good stuff!

Is it Cawl that can heal a Knight for more than one wound a turn? There's also the strategems.... I wonder if anyone has figured out how many wounds could be healed on a Knight in a turn if everything goes well/using strats, etc?

I decided to stick out Mars, but not for Cawl. Oddly enough I find that Mars might have the highest damage output (Just theory so far) but might have the biggest issues with the new Guard. I stuck to Mars because I think when it comes to competitive options, you eventually want Cawl firing on all cylinders. Also I went Mars because I think the Dogma/strats are fairly useful all the time, even in fun games.

Also I think that one Strategum on dual shooting bots is just a real deal maker. I do think that a Knight/AdMech army feels realistic for the time being but may not be best suited for a Cawl wall? Then again, I always prefer the dual shooty Knight: Battle Cannon, Gatling, and missile harness. (no CC arm).

I do wish they would clarify the Litany of the Electromancer canticle. Nobody seems to be able to decide how/when it works. For me, that's FAQ fodder.

Read It. It's pretty clear cut. It happens when that canticle is selected. And never again.

Is it Cawl that can heal a Knight for more than one wound a turn? There's also the strategems.... I wonder if anyone has figured out how many wounds could be healed on a Knight in a turn if everything goes well/using strats, etc?

You can heal a maximum of 4 wounds.

Any Tech Priest can heal just a single wound on a Questor Mechanicus Knight.

With Necromechanic (is that the correct name?) you always heal an additional wound (so we are up to 2).

And with the Tech Adept Stratagem you can do the repair job twice on the same model, so 2x2 = 4 wounds.

I do wish they would clarify the Litany of the Electromancer canticle. Nobody seems to be able to decide how/when it works. For me, that's FAQ fodder.

Read It. It's pretty clear cut. It happens when that canticle is selected. And never again.
You say that... And the Litanies entry reads like that... But if you read Canticles rules it also explicitly states that they are all in effect for the entire battle round.

I think there's a good chance that they intend it to happen any time you get within 1" of an enemy in both yours and your opponents turn.

It would turn an impossibly bad power that usually does nothing to a plain bad power that might average 1 mortal wound.

There is no point. Competitive. Canticles bla bla

Onagers was best not lemman are superb dual shootin.

We had snipers they got ogryns.

We had shooting they got embark disemark troops.

We got crap codex they got 5+ regain cp Relic and war trait.

More options more flavor versatile play cheap and xpensive units. There is not a single reason in comoetitive play to pick ad mech.

Even robots why? Mortars got 48" no los need. Ha. And on top of a superb list building options bla bla bla bla more and more we can talk all day.

Litany of the electrom. You activate it and thats it. Sorry! Even if it was diffrent if you find your ad mech in melee then its kinda game over. Wont change nothing if you oll 2d6 more. For a mortal. Play guard. Or play d mech for cool looking models and fun. But seriously if you wanna play a serious game play guard you ll enjoy it much much more. Fro building your lists till the last minute of game.

There is no point. Competitive. Canticles bla bla

Onagers was best not lemman are superb dual shootin.

We had snipers they got ogryns.

We had shooting they got embark disemark troops.

We got crap codex they got 5+ regain cp Relic and war trait.

More options more flavor versatile play cheap and xpensive units. There is not a single reason in comoetitive play to pick ad mech.

Even robots why? Mortars got 48" no los need. Ha. And on top of a superb list building options bla bla bla bla more and more we can talk all day.

Litany of the electrom. You activate it and thats it. Sorry! Even if it was diffrent if you find your ad mech in melee then its kinda game over. Wont change nothing if you oll 2d6 more. For a mortal. Play guard. Or play d mech for cool looking models and fun. But seriously if you wanna play a serious game play guard you ll enjoy it much much more. Fro building your lists till the last minute of game.

Then maybe go play guard and stop bemoaning Ad Mech in this thread designed to help us get the most out of the new 'dex...

Electromancer isn't great, which is a shame, it should have been some auto S4/5 wounds and a mortal wound for any that wound on a 6 or something like the Electro Priests. The Design is just waaaay off.