BL Summer of Reading

Has anybody see this over on the BL site?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/summer-of-reading-2017-bundle.html

7 brand new short stories from BL to be released this week.

1. Grandfather's Gift - Guy Haley

2. Hardest Word - Dave Guymer

3. Shadows of Heaven - Gav Thorpe

4. Death Warrant - Robbie MacNiven

5. Auction of Blood - Josh Reynolds

6. Pride and Fall - Ian St.Martin

7. Restorer - Chris Wraight

(I will link when I get chance, PC not playing at the moment)

Edited by Marcus Arias

Got grandfathers gift and death warrant so far

Both perfectly good little reads that have helped me whittle away the time bored at work waiting for progress bars and stuff lol.

Grandfathers gift has relevant to HH, death guard.. primarch stuff and relationship to papa E so i guess thats the most important one released so far

It was already started here man http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/330618-upcoming-bl-stuff/page-17

On the other note - as expected quality of the stories are exactly the same as with previous forays of this particular authors:

1) Haley story is good.

2) David story is good (and that's also due to the fact I despise AoS).

3) Aeldari - pass, not interesting.

4) A Filler story for a character who will appear in the 'Outer dark' book.

5) Story for Eight Lamentations.

6) Lucius met

landmine
- that was funny and even great.
It shows us that his warp-soul divided ability to be reborn does not have any borders in the real galaxy and in the warp. He could be reborn EVERYWHERE.

7) Restorer - as expected with Wraight - amazing. From start to finish. It does not give you anything specific - but it gives you a feel to WS and Terra.

Would it be fair to take from the Wraight short story being once again a White Scars HH short, that his next HH novel will be another WS novel?

So maybe someone else is writing, or has written  "Wolf Cull". He's already said he's not writing the Death Guard novel, so just more White Scars?

Edited by Taliesin

Would it be fair to take from the Wraight short story being once again a White Scars HH short, that his next HH novel will be another WS novel?

So maybe someone else is writing, or has written  "Wolf Cull". He's already said he's not writing the Death Guard novel, so just more White Scars?

From this tweet this morning not definitely.

hm....just my humble opinion, but he should be the one finishing the White Scars arc.

It was his main contribution to the HH setting. He started this magnificent story. He remade the Scars into something more than Space Mongols. Would be fair for him and us as fans if we would follow the WS' path together and not with a completely different author.

AND

We need him dealing with another / the final Khan vs. Mortarion fight during the siege. :D

hm....just my humble opinion, but he should be the one finishing the White Scars arc.

It was his main contribution to the HH setting. He started this magnificent story. He remade the Scars into something more than Space Mongols. Would be fair for him and us as fans if we would follow the WS' path together and not with a completely different author.

AND

We need him dealing with another / the final Khan vs. Mortarion fight during the siege. :biggrin.:

NOOOOO - if he will do another Morty vs Khan duel - it would be another meme like Curze ;)

I would be very very disappointed if the WS were thrown to Kyme or Thorpe...

You do love horror stories ;)

I'm not sure if it would devolve into a Curze meme. Lion vs Curze was covered by several authors and everytime, each author wrote it in their own perticular style and put their mark on it.

I rather believe that Chris would cover it very well and would do something he hasn't done in Scars and Path of Heaven. Besides, who else would be confronted by the Khan during the siege. Magnus maybe? To fight against his closest brother would be a deciding moment for the Khan, that's for sure. Thinking about it...I partially agree with you, Heri. ^^

Another adversary for the Khan would be something refreshing.

Other than Mort vs. Khan. . .

only Fulgrim vs. Khan or Magnus vs. Khan makes some dramatic sense, the latter moreso than the former

That said, I can't really see Khan putting up a good fight against either Fulgrin or Magnus, who are both Chaos-buffed Daemon Primarchs at the Siege

Just read Restorer. Lovely little story.

Yeah, it's really nice. Shiban working his way back from being a hateful shell of a warrior to something like how he was in Brotherhood of the Storm and Scars. I've found him one of the most introspective and chill characters in a BL book so seeing what the war was wreaking on him was sad, bitter stuff, even if it was good character development.

It's one of the few short stories that wouldn't work particularly well as an epilogue or final chapter in the previous novel or as a first chapter in the next WS work. Good characterful stuff that's not vital to the strict mechanics of plot development, that's what heresy short stories should be.

Also, does this short have the honour of being the first 'in-sequence' depiction of Horus' invasion of Terra in a heresy book? Everything else I can think is either in a vision (The First Heretic) or a flashback in a 40k book (Void Stalker). Webway stuff is a different fight to the main siege.

I'm not sure if it would devolve into a Curze meme. Lion vs Curze was covered by several authors and everytime, each author wrote it in their own perticular style and put their mark on it.

I rather believe that Chris would cover it very well and would do something he hasn't done in Scars and Path of Heaven. Besides, who else would be confronted by the Khan during the siege. Magnus maybe? To fight against his closest brother would be a deciding moment for the Khan, that's for sure. Thinking about it...I partially agree with you, Heri. ^^

Another adversary for the Khan would be something refreshing.

Yeah. I was joking ;) His 'duels' with Morty is really well done. Much better than every other Primarch novel depicted to date in HH. And especially more 'real' and fluent than overused Curze everywhere/Curze fighting everyone.

'only Fulgrim vs. Khan or Magnus vs. Khan makes some dramatic sense, the latter moreso than the former' -don't think so b1soul. If you remember 'Scars' you know what Khan said to Fulgrim and with Slaanesh as a patron it became even worse.

'lso, does this short have the honour of being the first 'in-sequence' depiction of Horus' invasion of Terra in a heresy book? Everything else I can think is either in a vision (The First Heretic) or a flashback in a 40k book (Void Stalker). Webway stuff is a different fight to the main siege.'

yeap, I think that's the first birdy on our long road to the Siege of Terra :)

Restorer

I didn't know that Terra had oceans and that The Emperor was in the process of terraforming to repair the damage done in past wars.

The Master of Mankind gives the impression that water is very rare and water theft is punishable by death.

Edited by Mellow

Restorer

I didn't know that Terra had oceans and that The Emperor was in the process of terraforming to repair the damage done in past wars.

The Master of Mankind gives the impression that water is very rare and water theft is punishable by death.

MoM explained that in first several chapters.

The water theft incident happened when Ra was an infant, yes? Probably pre-Crusade or early Crusade then.

Yes and after it was discussed again between Emperor and Ra and from Custodes view.