Is Raven Guard mono Primaris the best?

Jochteas

I mean, Ultras probably *are* the strongest set ups for the most part. Even a sub par list can get a huge boost from Guilliman. Between the piles of rerolls and extra/regenerating CPs that could shore up a lot of gaps. But there's good stuff out there for a lot of the chapters.

RG works pretty well with Primaris and it feels pretty fluffy too (at least for my Raptors). While they don't look great on paper, auto bolters mesh nicely with the CT, being able to fire 2 shots at full range, keeping the to hit debuff up, I think more than outweighs the loss of -1AP. Also, being able to advance and shoot lets you be a little more maneuverable ("be where the enemy doesn't expect you to be"). With Reivers and Inceptors deep striking, as well as any SftS units, it mitigates a lot of the Primaris mobility issues.

I plan on taking a couple anti tank Tarantulas too. They're cheap and with good placement, it should create some good null zones where the enemy won't want to put their vehicles (or make them have to use other vehicles as meat shields).

I think overall with RG, you can get a very tactically rewarding army. Very true to the fluff, there's a lot they can do to dictate how the battle is fought.

Maybe I've missed it, but wouldn't Primaris RG use Corax's gene-seed like the regular dudes do?

Correct

Actually theres a line in DI, which I personally took as a joke, but I think it was meant to be serious. That the new Primaris marines for the IF's actually had more pure geneseed of the Primach than the current ones! :laugh.:

So you're saying They could stick them in a mono primaris company but probably use a lot of veterans to 'help'(watch) them for awhile until fully proven?

My next question being does anyone know if the Raven Guard follow the company color formation as presented in dark imperium ?

Actually page 99 of the new codex inexplicably states that Raven Guard shoulder trims colours now follow

Yellow = Battleline

Blue = Close Support

Pink = Fire Support

Red = Veterans

No mention of company colours any more for Raven Guard???

I hate this scheme so will ignore it and stick with 5th Co. Black trims!

"The Raven Guard Chapter icon is displayed on the left shoulder guard, while the right shoulder guard displays company colours. Squad number is borne upon the left knee guard." - Page 51 in the Raven Guard Section.

Page 99 is the bio-page for Sergeant Telion of the Ultramarines

Page 14 is the Codex Heraldry page, which outlines the colors of each company per the Codex Astartes, indicating standard practice is for the color to be on both trims, and the colors as follows:

1st: White

2nd: Gold

3rd: Red

4th: Green

5th: Black (almost looks dark brown in the photo)

6th: Orange

7th: Purple

8th: Grey

9th: Light Blue

10th: Blue/No Trim

I'm not sure what version of the codex you are looking at or if it is a different language (mine is English, standard edition, ISBN: 978-1-78581-949-0)

If I'm reading that page correctly, it's not saying 'each of these is this color' what it's saying is 'here's the battle line symbol and here is it in this companies color. Here's the close support symbol, and here is it in this companies color.'

I guess if I'm being complete do they paint the helmets of sergeants like Ultras do? And I heard that white actually means something in their color scheme is that true? Also can they have squad markings on themselves?

d4819bea85c6a6f505983523a5fa5502.jpg

Mines the iPad ebook version.

ISBN: 978-1-78572-671-2

Do I have a different version to everyone else?!

Ignore the colors on the pads. The symbols are what it's talking about.

Arrow pointing up = Tactical or Battle line

Diagonal crossed arrows = Assault or Close Support

Triangle or chevron = Devastator or Fire Support

Maltese cross = Veteran.

The colors are irrelevant. And 2 of them are impossible.

Mines the iPad ebook version.

ISBN: 978-1-78572-671-2

Do I have a different version to everyone else?!

Looks like your version is a bit different, perhaps just in the page numbers though. That's what page 51 looks like for me in the hardback book. However, what Jochteas said below is correct:

If I'm reading that page correctly, it's not saying 'each of these is this color' what it's saying is 'here's the battle line symbol and here is it in this companies color. Here's the close support symbol, and here is it in this companies color.'

I guess if I'm being complete do they paint the helmets of sergeants like Ultras do? And I heard that white actually means something in their color scheme is that true? Also can they have squad markings on themselves?

The Primaris Space Marines booklet that comes in the Dark Imperium boxed set also includes some information on Raven Guard colours. It makes no mention of the trim colours following battlefield role. It specifically states: "The edging colour of the right shoulder guard of a Raven Guard battle-brother denotes his company, while Codex-adherent symbols reflect his strategic battlefield role." There's also a similar picture with several battlefield roles with the same coloured shoulder trim, dispelling the idea that they denote role instead of Company. 

There's also a Lieutenant helmet, but it's kind of boring.

Officers get white helmets. So technically any sergeant should have a white helmet.

If they are a veteran they get white arms.

So:

White helmet = officer.

White arms = veteran.

Both = veteran officer.

I suppose their logic is once you're experienced enough to have white on your armor it won't impede your ability to be stealthy.

Weeeell, 7th edition Codex declared officers *can* have white helmets, as in it's optional. This leaves room for using variations like white stripes or white wreaths. I'm cool with that.

@Lemondish - that's what I did for my Primaris LT. 

This is what I'll eventually do as well (once I make it to those models in the DI box I just bought), but I'm not entirely certain what other parts should be white. 

I also need to improve my white painting skills lol. I really botched the white helmet on one of the three easy to build guys I was using as paint sacrifices. 

Weeeelll, they sacrificed themselves to help make your skill "elite", so it's worth it :tu:

For my part, the LT has white arms/shoulders using the HQ skull on the right side (per Codex).  So, with a black helmet, the dude is clearly a "leader" and a "veteran" but not "the man" (which is for Captains).

Weeeelll, they sacrificed themselves to help make your skill "elite", so it's worth it :thumbsup:

For my part, the LT has white arms/shoulders using the HQ skull on the right side (per Codex).  So, with a black helmet, the dude is clearly a "leader" and a "veteran" but not "the man" (which is for Captains).

The amount of things you learn from painting up your first full model astounds me. I should have done it earlier (was just using a friend's army to get the hang of the game beforehand). My next challenge is avoiding the temptation to do different chapters for no other reason than I like the way they look.

Is it mentioned in the codex what the white shoulder/helmets mean, or is it just accepted that it's for vets?

On meaning: Nothing.  It's just the "Raven Guard Way" :happy.:

Apologies, I meant moreso the breakdown. Do Sgts get both the helmet and the pad and the arms? Or is that for vets? What about veteran sgts? 

Thankfully I'm all set for the LT because the helmet is in the picture lol

Ah, pardon me.

As with all things "Codex", it's a spectrum.  Havign said that, from my point of view, it is common for:

Non-Veteran Sergeants to use white helmets to show rank (again, not the rule, per se, per 7th ed Codex)

Veterans to use white arms/shoulders.

Veteran Sergeants to use white arms/shoulders and white helmet (see above for Battleline Sergeant helmet though)

Captain to use white arm/shoulder/helmets - the right shoulder to show their position (not rank, this would be through various embelishments ... like a cape/cloak.

LTs (again, from my point of view yet supported by documentation) to use white arm/shoulders as Veterans with a skull on right shoulder to show their position.

Most humbly.

Edited by Race Bannon
Removed a qualifier