Compendium Tratoris: The Shadow Kings

Heru

Compendium Tratoris: Extinction Agenda
The Shadow Kings

gallery_20677_10619_39134.jpg

gallery_20677_10619_1188.jpg

This post is just me setting up the layout (wanted to get it actually done before I get distracted again), so I'll be adding to this post over the next couple of days with what I have so far.

Massively WIP, and if you know my previous "works" you'll know I like to blend rules with fluff so these are my count-as Chaos Space Marines (all factions) guys. It's a multi-warband project with the guys pictured at the top (The Shadow Kings) being the guys in charge but I will include details on the other major player warbands.

- Origin -

Imperial records list the origins of the Shadow Kings as unknown, with first possible sighting being a grainy pic-image of a traitor wearing a similar symbol at the Siege of the Emperor's Palace during the Horus Heresy. Due to the quality of the image being so poor it is heavily disputed as to whether the symbol seen at Terra is in fact that of the Shadow Kings (which may suggest they were a faction within one of the traitor legions) or just an Alpha Legionnaire with a variation of the Hydra symbol.

One theory postulated by radical and now excommunicate Inquisitor Julian Lore formerly from the Ordo Xenos, suggests that the Shadow Kings might in fact be one of the Lost Legions who somehow ended up trapped in the shadow realm of the Drukhari Mandrakes. Although Inquisitor Lore had presented evidence to support his theory, his excommunication has called the validity of his theory into question and leads many to suspect his evidence was fabricated in an attempt at spreading disinformation.

Most in the Inquisition instead believe that the Shadow Kings are simply just another Chapter gone renegade or splinter warband from the Chaos Legions.

- Beliefs -

The Shadow Kings do not serve the Chaos Gods, instead their service is given up to the Gods they call the Stygian Pantheon, Thirteen Gods of which the Shadow God who goes by many names but is most often referred to as Malacar was the first and creator of the pantheon. It is claimed that before the material universe came into being there nothingness, and that Malacar was that nothingness. The creation of the universe is said to have brought him great pain and his servants seek to return the universe to its original state. When the Warp became manifest in the material universe Malacar used its energy to create the other twelve Gods of the pantheon. So whilst he and his shadow children (his equivalent of daemons) may not be a God of the Warp, the rest of the pantheon and their children are.

- The Stygian Pantheon -

Malacar - God of Shadow
Anamon - God of Dominance
Axis - God of Destruction
Gallotier - God of War
Kor'natha - God of Bloodshed
Nakria - Goddess of Predation
Raagnaria - Goddess of Sorcery
Yata Ui - God of Corruption
Thragnessa - God of Death
Xialgar - God of Oblivion
Devica - Goddess of Torment
Galrinak - God of Fire
Silica - God of Disease

Author's note: I realise some of these gods share aspects of the Four, but they are not related to them. Example Silica is not just another name for Nurgle, and worshipping Silica does not make you a worshipper of Nurgle and vice-versa.

- Demons -

Each God has his own demons (going with the standard non-40k spelling so not as to confuse with those of Chaos), they come for the most part in three categories. Emperor Demons who equate to Chaos Greater Demons, Chosen Demons who equate to the likes of Plagebearers, Bloodletters etc, then there are the Lesser Demons that equate to the likes of Tzeentch Screamers, Khorne Bloodhounds etc. Each God has only thirteen Emperor Demons.

The Stygian Pantheon also creates daemon princes from their greatest mortal followers.

God / Element / Emperor Demon / Chosen Demon / Lesser Demon
Thragnessa / Death / Deathbringer / Reaper / Death Scribe
Kor'natha / Bloodshed / Blooddrinker / Flesheater / Red Mist
Malacar / Shadow / Shadowlord / Shadow / Lesser Shadow
Devica / Torment / Grand Torturer / Paindancer / Skinlasher
Yata Ui / Corruption / Arch Devil / Devil / Lesser Devil
Silica / Disease / Scourge / Swarmhost / Spawnling
Raagnaria / Sorcery / Spellmistress / Spellflayer / Spellsprite
Gallotier / War / Battlemaster / Warbeast / Warfury
Axis / Destruction / Destroyer / Axe Wielder / Damager
Xialgar / Oblivion / Harbinger / Oblivion Soldier / Extinction Seeker
Nakria / Predation / Eternal Hunter / Stalker / Predator
Galrinak / Fire / Flamelord / Hellbeast / Firesprite
Anamon / Dominance / Dominator / Conquistadors / Leveler Fiend

- The Horsemen -

Aside from their mortal and demonic warriors each God has a single Horseman, for all intents and purposes demi-gods / avatars who lead their forces in the material universe. Chief amongst them is the Shadowborn who commands the Shadow Kings, the undisputed commander-in-chief of all forces that serve the Stygian Panetheon. The origin of the Horsemen is unknown but speculation leans towards them being the first Champions of the Stygian Gods, raised up as extremely powerful Daemon Princes.

The Shadowborn - Malacar
War - Gallotier
Death - Thragnessa
Pestilence - Silica
Conquest - Anamon
Ruin - Axis
Extinction - Xialgar
Torment - Devica
Corruption - Yata Ui
Slaughter - Kornatha
Predation - Nakria
Ash - Galrinak
Malediction - Raagnaria

- Organization -

The Shadow Kings consist of many warbands led by their own champions that via for power much like those in the Chaos Legions. The only absolute is that no champion can ever hope take over the position of a Horsemen, nor do they try.

- Affliated Warbands -

The Bloodborn
gallery_20677_10619_105878.jpg
A World Eater warband who has forsaken Khorne and taken up Kor'natha as their new patron.

Void Stalkers
gallery_20677_10619_572.jpg

A warband of unknown origin, the Void Stalkers as a whole serve no patron God in particular. Black flames writhe across their armour. Many amongst the Void Stalkers are known to have enhanced abilities during battle.

Dream Eaters
gallery_20677_10619_46650.jpg

A Emperor's Children warband who has forsaken their Legion, their Primarch and Slaanesh, to take up Devica as their patron. They do not feel pleasure or pain themselves, so take to inflicting torment on others to show their worship.

Black Sabre
gallery_20677_10619_43802.jpg

Not a warband in of itself, but instead a sort of Special Forces that's members are seconded from other warbands and the Shadow Kings.
Author's note: Sort of a traitor version of the Death Watch. Count-as Fallen.

Wolves of Horus
gallery_20677_10619_68102.jpg

Former Sons of Horus who refused to join Abaddon's Black Legion. Originally they sought shelter from the Shadow Kings to evade Abaddon, but now they are true believers of the Stygian Pantheon.

The Blight
gallery_20677_10619_30828.jpg

A former Death Guard warband who neither aligned themselves with Mortarion nor Typhus. They have forsaken Nurgle to take up worship of Silica.

The Fallen Lords
gallery_20677_10619_98846.jpg

A group of seven Sorcerers who raise the undead instead of leading Traitor Astartes. Their leader is Balor the Leveller who has bound the power of the others to him. They serve Anamon God of Dominance.

Balor the Leveller
Bahl'al the Watcher
Soulblighter
Myrdred the Deciever
Shiver
Juggernaut
Gilndeer the Tormentor

Black Oracles
gallery_20677_10619_101136.jpg

A Thousand Sons warband who abandoned Magnus and the Legion shortly after Ahriman's Rubric. In pursuit of further sorcerous knowledge they have forsaken Tzeentch and taken up Raagnaria as their patron.

Wicked Gods
gallery_20677_10619_66188.jpg

The largest warband not of the Shadow Kings to serve them. Originally a Space Marine Chapter whose name has long been forgotten, they have recruited numerous renegades to their force. Interestingly although they serve the Shadow Kings, they do not worship the Stygian Pantheon, instead worshipping a group of lesser warpgods embodying the seven deadly sins.

Mammon - God of Greed
Rahab - God of Envy
Doema - God of Sloth
Kanash - God of Gluttony
Lilith - Goddess of Lust
Abraxas - God of Wrath
Moloch - God of Pride

- Notable characters -

The Shadowborn: Leader of the Shadow Kings and the Horseman of Shadow. He wields the axe Tasga a weapon reputed to have been forged from the corpse of one of the first Gods, said to be able to destroy anything completely even the denizens of the Warp. In battle the Shadowborn while powerful seems lesser than the other Horsemen but this is merely because he conceals his true capabilities.
Count-as: Abaddon

Barak the Blasphemer: Leader of the Bloodborn, so named by others within the World Eaters still loyal to Khorne. He is the one who turned many a World Eater to Kor'natha's worship to form his warband.
Count-as: Kh Edited by Heru

Added some Imperial theories as to the origins of the Shadow Kings. Not going to be super specific as it adds a little mystery and their actions and history are far more interesting.

Edit: Added a little bit about their Gods.

Edited by Heru

Massive datadump with information on some of the warbands affiliated with the Shadow Kings and their Gods. Including notable characters (count-as information included). Been fighting with the coding a fair bit so some bits are rather sparse.

Added a couple of notable actions. Also plan on adding the Onyx Warlords to the article not because they are associated with The Shadow Kings themselves, but because of their association with the Stygian Panetheon.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who also likes to indulge in the whole worldbuilding thing, I am absolutely loving what you've got so far.:happy.:

The detail about the Shadow Kings maybe being a Lost Legion is well done, especially the fact the person who suggested the idea has been excommunicated. Somehow it feels very open-ended on whether he was right or not, which is a nice feature. :biggrin.:

What's really missing is something to say whereabouts the Shadow Kings and their minions are, galactically speaking. Are they based in the Eye of Terror, or do they have their own corner of the galaxy?

Oh, you could also use something explaining how the Shadow Kings stay in charge of the other Warbands. Is it simply that they are the largest/most powerful warband, or is there something else keeping everyone in line?

I'm really impressed with the Stygian Pantheon, it seems like a lot of thought has gone into it. The only bit that I think feels off is all of Malcar's daemons being called 'Shadow' with bits tacked on. (and Yata Ui having 'Devil' in much the same way) But I'm struggling coming up with alternatives to suggest. Maybe Lightdrinker for one of Malcar's daemons? Either way it's only a minor wrinkle in what is otherwise a most impressive amount of work.

I'm liking the details on the supplementary Warbands, (Dream Eaters is such a good name for a Slaaneshi Warband, by the way) but again with so many serving the Shadow Kings it leaves me wondering how the Kings keep control of their fellow heretics.

All in all, I'd say this is a pretty excellent start, though! :thumbsup:

As someone who also likes to indulge in the whole worldbuilding thing, I am absolutely loving what you've got so far.:happy.:

Thanks man, and thanks for the feedback. If you have anymore thoughts let me know.

The detail about the Shadow Kings maybe being a Lost Legion is well done, especially the fact the person who suggested the idea has been excommunicated. Somehow it feels very open-ended on whether he was right or not, which is a nice feature. :biggrin.:

Yeah I like the idea of them being a Lost Legion but I didn't want to come out and say it because it can be a hard pill to swallow. I'll probably present more from Inquistor Lore in regards to their origins and just let people take it or leave it on the basis it could all be a lie.

What's really missing is something to say whereabouts the Shadow Kings and their minions are, galactically speaking. Are they based in the Eye of Terror, or do they have their own corner of the galaxy?

Generally I'd say they operate all over the galaxy considering their modus operandi, but I do have some ideas for a Homebase.

Oh, you could also use something explaining how the Shadow Kings stay in charge of the other Warbands. Is it simply that they are the largest/most powerful warband, or is there something else keeping everyone in line?

I'd say there is a number factors, they are definitely the largest and most powerful but I think how they deal with various warbands under them is on a case by case basis. For some it'll be a case of having the same goals, on the other side of the spectrum they'd ensure loyalty through things like Shadowmarking (think The Ten Who Were Taken from Glen Cook's Black Company books).

I'm really impressed with the Stygian Pantheon, it seems like a lot of thought has gone into it. The only bit that I think feels off is all of Malcar's daemons being called 'Shadow' with bits tacked on. (and Yata Ui having 'Devil' in much the same way) But I'm struggling coming up with alternatives to suggest. Maybe Lightdrinker for one of Malcar's daemons? Either way it's only a minor wrinkle in what is otherwise a most impressive amount of work.

Yeah some are still using the first version of the names. The list is still WIP in that regard (Devica's demons used to be Pain this and that). Edited by Heru

It's good to see you continuing to be as prolific as ever. 

My first thoughts are that this is a bit of a thorny concept to critique - there's a lot of ideas that are heavily intertwined and it makes it hard to see an angle to critique it from. My thoughts are that a group of Astartes worshipping this 'true pantheon' is interesting - I do think you need to work on incorporating them further into the 40k universe so that it doesn't just seem like fan-fiction. The belief system you posit at the top, with Malcar creating the other twelve gods - where do the four classic Chaos Gods fit into that? What do the Extinction Angels think of the Chaos Gods and those who believe in them? (Even if they believe they're false, they can't really dispute their power, can they?) 

How powerful do you see the Extinction Angels as a force? I was please scrolling through to see some of these warbands are quite small and modest - but then you say they operate 'across the galaxy'?

How do you differentiate Chaos Daemons from Pantheon Demons? If you step outside of the universe for a minute, what do you see as being the 'truth' of this situation? It appears to me that these gods of yours are minor gods sustained by the worship of the Extinction Angels - would you see that as being accurate?  

It's good to see you continuing to be as prolific as ever.

Well I've had awhile to sit on and stew various ideas.

I do think you need to work on incorporating them further into the 40k universe so that it doesn't just seem like fan-fiction.

Yeah that was a big concern, I'm hoping the more I work on them and the more feedback I get that they'll at least fit as well as the Sons of Malice (and Malal).

The belief system you posit at the top, with Malcar creating the other twelve gods - where do the four classic Chaos Gods fit into that? What do the Shadow Kings think of the Chaos Gods and those who believe in them? (Even if they believe they're false, they can't really dispute their power, can they?)

How powerful do you see the Shadow Kings as a force? I was please scrolling through to see some of these warbands are quite small and modest - but then you say they operate 'across the galaxy'?

The warbands obviously operate in certain areas, they are too small to be everywhere (even though Guilliman somehow manages to do that in recent fluff). The Shadow Kings themselves, I'd like them rival the size of a Traitor Legion, but they wouldn't be everywhere. That's why there are the warbands to fill in the gaps.

How do you differentiate Chaos Daemons from Pantheon Demons? If you step outside of the universe for a minute, what do you see as being the 'truth' of this situation? It appears to me that these gods of yours are minor gods sustained by the worship of the Shadow Kings - would you see that as being accurate?

They are defiantly minor Chaos Gods, I mean if it was a Immaterium grudge match between one of the pantheon and one of the Big Four, the Stygian God would not win by a long shot. Their followers do give them power and makes them stronger than they started out, but I think what sets the Stygian Gods apart from the Big Four is that they came before their followers. Malacar obviously tapped into the same raw energy provided by living beings that created the Warp that otherwise subconsciously created the Big Four so there is similarities, but as the Chaos Gods essentially made themselves, the Stygian Gods (minus Malacar) were specifically created.

Apologies for the mix-up with the names. Obviously as an outsider I'm not as familiar! 

I suppose my next question would be - how much of the concept above is flexible and able to be re-worked? How much is set in stone? 

For example, the Wicked Gods seem entirely superfluous and perhaps even get in the way of the other work that you've presented. You're asking your readers to take on a huge amount of information in the form of twenty different gods, their attendant followers and so on. I think you could streamline the concept a little more.

I like the idea that these warriors have a belief system that 'true' Chaos Worshippers might consider blasphemous and heretical. I see them in a sense as operating like a virus, leeching away support from the main pantheon. I can see things such as the Word Bearers obliterating the 'wrong' type of cultists - and utterly bewildering Imperial forces observing it. 

Apologies for the mix-up with the names. Obviously as an outsider I'm not as familiar!

Haha yeah, I wasn't going to mention it, but it did make reading your response difficult. Especially as the Extinction Angels already exist in 40k.

I suppose my next question would be - how much of the concept above is flexible and able to be re-worked? How much is set in stone?

Case by case basis I guess as much as anything.

For example, the Wicked Gods seem entirely superfluous and perhaps even get in the way of the other work that you've presented. You're asking your readers to take on a huge amount of information in the form of twenty different gods, their attendant followers and so on. I think you could streamline the concept a little more.

I hear you, I think the idea came around because I wanted to give the warband a bit more of their own identity outside of just being as Stygian Pantheon worshipping group.

I like the idea that these warriors have a belief system that 'true' Chaos Worshippers might consider blasphemous and heretical. I see them in a sense as operating like a virus, leeching away support from the main pantheon. I can see things such as the Word Bearers obliterating the 'wrong' type of cultists - and utterly bewildering Imperial forces observing it.

It definitely would create a fair amount of friction. Though I think the ideologies also does that. Chaos forces want the dominion of Chaos over the Universe, the Shadow Kings want to end the Universe which works counter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at two ideas in regards to the homebase.

1. A base in orbit of the Galactic Core, and when I say the core I mean the core as in in orbit of Sagittarius A*. Think Mass Effect 2 and the Collector Base.

2. A lost Eldar city in the webway (like Calastar), which would play into the excommunicated Inquisitor's postulated theory about their origins. It does lead to a number of questions in regards to how they maintain their access to the webway, but it does let them operate pretty much anywhere in the galaxy.

• 4 weeks later...

Just going to leave this here:

From the files of Inquisitor Julian Lore:

Legion XI: The Serpent Sons (Sunbearers pre-Primarch discovery)

Primarch: Uraeus

World of Discovery: Oracle

Date of Primarch Discovery: ca. 840s.M30

World of Disappearence: Iram (Veiled Region, Segmentum Tempestus)

Date of Disappearence: ca. 960s.M30

Reason of Expunction: Censure followed by Disappearence

gallery_20677_1567_11561.jpg

Symbol:

sml_gallery_20677_10619_18705.jpg

Other: Krivbeknih

Edited by Heru