Ideally...how many HH books to cover the Siege?

b1soul

I am not at all sure if those titles of events mentioned in the Forgeworld timeline will be covered in the BL novels. 

They may well be things FW will be focusing on 5 years from now once they get around to writing Black Books about it.

I would expect parts of that to feature in the final novels but not as novels specifically dedicated to those topics.

That's why I mentioned only the 'biggest' events - they simply could not skip. Plus thanks to Tymell - cause I totally forgot another novel that would cover Death Guard fall.

As for the 'They may well be things FW will be focusing on 5 years from now once they get around to writing Black Books about it.' - i'm worried about FW. Cause with the death of Alan (a colossal blow to fans and FW HH team) they will not have planned material to go for long. So far they planned up to 10 books with Angelos being #8. How it will go after that without Bligh overwatch we can't say. Time will tell.

One thing I really would like is a status of each Legion going into the final hour. At least proportions so we help get a scale of just how big of a deal the Siege is within not only the setting, but the Heresy itself.

Aka:

The Sons of Horus had been reduced to half their number, from the purge at Isstvaan to the decades-long march to Terra. Of the remaining Legion, fully 3/4 were committed to the Sol System while the rest continued operations elsewhere.

Half of the remaining Emperor's Children were present in Sol with another quarter too far off from their hunt of the Khan to make it in time. The remaining 1/4 were unaccounted for, most importantly, including Fulgrim himself.

The largest traitor contingent came from the Iron Warriors, a fact most appreciated by Horus due to their proficiency in this exact type of warfare. Though only 35% of the Legion was present in Sol, they numerically made up the single largest contingent among traitor Legions due to spending the majority of the conflict away from the major engagements that took their toll on other forces.

Aside from the casualties suffered at Phrall under Pollux's engagement with Perturabo and the normal various contingencies scattered throughout known space, nearly the entire VII Legion was gathered in the Sol system. All told, it was the single most intact force at the start of the coming battle. Nearly 75% of its origins strength was present and accounted for.

At the time of their arrival just moments before the actual Siege commenced, the Blood Angels in Sol numbered 45% of their starting strength, with another 20% sworn to defend Ultramar or committed to engagements elsewhere. The others had been lost in Signus Prime, Battle xyz, or in the harrowing battles it took to reach Terra.

The Khan stood with 25% of his original V Legion on Terra. It had been a long perilous road to get there with far too many sons lost. Between the internecine battle above Prospero, to the long running fights with the III, XIV, and XVI, to the decisive battle around Dark Glass, it had been a long journey, yet one the Khan was proud of. Another 10% of the Legion resided around Chogoris and a handful of others were spread throughout the galaxy, intermingled with the billions of souls simple doing whatever they could in the closing hours of the Imperium's short reign.

Numbers and figures and stuff are not exact and I wrote all that without looking anything up, so take it for fact. I just wanted to show what I would love to see: some measuring posts of the scale of the battle to come.

Doesn't the Primarchs series finish in 2020? It would certainly be odd for the Heresy itself to finish before that does. Conjecture of course, but I'd assume they'd be shooting for a semi-simultaneous finish in the scheduling.

That's the target, and if they carry on with the current 3 month schedule for the Primarchs books, that would take us nicely up to the end of 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some discrepancy (The Primarchs are for the most part telling stories from before the Heresy anyway), but since 2020 fits in with other guesstimate work, it seems a decent enough time as any to expect.

If we don’t see The Emperor vs Horus in gratuitous detail with in depth diaglog where both are aware of what was taken from Molec along with very detailed descriptions of the complete ass kicking that took place onto His holy ass I will be most disappointed.

I basically want to be in tears reading it. I want it to make me sad. Sad for Him. Sad for Humanity. Sad for their lost dreams.

You know. Not that I want much!

I'm a bit nervous about Abnett handling the last book

I love the man's writing style, creativity, versatility...what have you

...but the last book should be a rock solid finale, I'm afraid Abnett will get too clever

Abnett comeback to BL would be judged this December with 'Warmaster' - if it will suck or would be insanely 'clever', you will know what to expect.

He wrote for BL a long time ago now - it is hard to come back after all the shining aquamen, teen titans and over comics crap.

You'd prefer a finale by Kyme or Thorpe?

I would prefer Wraight or ADB... 

Amusing you pick them 2 :smile.:

You did say ‘anyone’ but Abnett.

I am aware of that but to goto the bottom of the barrel is low hanging fruit :smile.:

So anyone but Abnett, Kyme and Thorpe ...

There you go b1soul.

Edited by Brother Arkley

We should count ourselves lucky to have someone of Dan Abnett's caliber writing the finale of the Horus Heresy series. That's not to say that there aren't other great authors currently working on that series, but I can't help but feel there are some selective memories and knee-jerk reactions at work right now. ;)

I’ve found Abnett to be consistently talented. Did I think the Imperium Secundus arc is the weakest point in the entire HH and even all of 49k? Sure. Do I think it was well written from a literary standpoint? Sure.

The thing to keep in mind is that Dan Abnett started the entire HH series with Horus Rising . I would be truly shocked if he did not have the last book already prepared in doing so. As such, —IF— Abnett does indeed write the final book, I would be quite shocked if it was not at least the caliber of Horus Rising.

...in fact, I will go on the record to say I bet the line “I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor.”* becomes a key line in Abnett’s finale.

EDIT:

*thanks, Fire Golem!

Edited by Indefragable

All I know is I would have loved to have been present during that HH meeting this week.

It's too long a wait for the BL weekender. What have these guys got in store for us?

THAT one (or any)....hell yes! @ChildofFang, myself & probably some reading this got just a sneak taste at 2015 Convention Secondus of what a HH meeting would be like. But this! This...is another thing all together. Can't wait:wub:

The thing to keep in mind is that Dan Abnett started the entire HH series with Horus Rising . I would be truly shocked if he did not have the last book already prepared in doing so. As such, —IF— Abnett does indeed write the final book, I would be quite shocked if it was not at least the caliber of Horus Rising.

...in fact, I will go on the record to say I bet the line “I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor.”* becomes a key line in Abnett’s finale.

EDIT:

*thanks, Fire Golem!

I'm calling a 50% chance that either the first or last line of the book will be "I was there the day the Emperor slew Horus." It seems like the kind of clever literally juxtaposition that they'd go with.

You'd prefer a finale by Kyme or Thorpe?

I would prefer Wraight or ADB... 

Amusing you pick them 2 :smile.:

Right - BaC - it is time to give it a new name - A D-B fanclub :wink:

All I know is I would have loved to have been present during that HH meeting this week.

It's too long a wait for the BL weekender. What have these guys got in store for us?

Not that long then you have 70 hours working week - it will come quickly enough.

THAT one (or any)....hell yes! @ChildofFang, myself & probably some reading this got just a sneak taste at 2015 Convention Secondus of what a HH meeting would be like. But this! This...is another thing all together. Can't wait:wub:

We will fight for the entrance to the bar :biggrin.:

There are a lot of side stories I am more looking forward to. Khârn and the WE tearing it up, and his fall. What was it that made the Emperors children take off and do their own thing. Magnus and the Sons have their own goal on Terra, does mags get the last shard of his goodness that is on Terra.

I am hoping for a trilogy. Book 1 traitors smash their way to Terra and start the assault. Book 2 things for the loyalists are bleak, the walls fall and panic starts to set in. Final paragraph is the signal reinforcements are coming. Book 3 the traitors are now on the back foot and go for a hail Mary, the bulk of the book is the madness that happens on the vengeful spirit and hopefully, a nice epilogue of the bitter victory.

Haven't read everything but while I was catching up, a thought sprang into my mind:

What if the Horus Heresy ends with the arrival of the traitors above Terra? Ending the series with an awesome line, just like it has started with.

And then comes a new, smaller series called The end of times / The siege of Terra...

I think, in this case, it's going to be a case of having one's cake and eating it. I can't say exactly what's coming up, and there'll definitely be some things that don't get covered - Sevatar's name came up in the meeting a few times, for example, and I shot that down because there's no time to deal with him, and because me and Alan planned his fate outside the main events of the HH series.

But overall, anyone worrying the series will milk the Siege can relax that we won't; anyone worrying it'll end too abruptly can also relax it's not going to. I sense a happy medium coming down the line.

Crikey. I hope not. It really needs closure.

I need closure. I can’t move on unless it’s completed! :biggrin.:

Having used "Crikey" in a post, you are currently my favourite forumite.

Use this power responsibly, for you carry my heart into battle.