Ideally...how many HH books to cover the Siege?

b1soul

Additionally:

• The Siege of Terra spells the end of the numbered Horus Heresy series
  • There may be more stories that use the Heresy era as a setting, but there won't necessarily be named side series like the Primarchs novellas
  • There might just be stories that "happen to be" set in the Heresy or Great Scouring eras
Edited by mhacdebhandia

Isn't the former Chief Librarian of the Night Lords on of Malcador's agents? Or is he just rumored to be one of the founding Grey Knights? And Arvida is a loyalist 1k son, so there is at least one. Can't think of many traitor elements in loyalists forces apart from the White Scars, Dark Angels, and that single Raven Guard in Sevatar's crew

There's a loyal NL in Corax's crew, he basically gets his own short in the Corax anthology. 

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/value-of-fear-ebook.html

The meeting broke down the stories but the number of books involved was not finalised. "More than 1, less than 50." There's still plenty of the wider Heresy narrative to cover - "a few books, at least" - before the Siege of Terra actually begins, and no-one is currently off to work on a Siege of Terra story just yet.

Definitely sounds like we're still at least 3 years away from series completion.

Interesting to hear that no one has been assigned anything after the meeting and thus no one's started yet.

Certainly seems like we will first see another few novels before the Siege starts, we just don't fully know who and what those will be. 3 or 4 at the most I'd think.

There's the Doom of the Death Guard book, a Wolf Cull book from Guy Haley by the looks of it, and John French has indicated he's done a HH novel recently if I remember rightly.

Maybe a surprise or two in there as well, though personally I can't imagine -much- more beyond that. Once those stories like Old Earth, Wolf Cull and Doom of the Death Guard have been told, most of the major players should be in position.

Thanks a lot for the summary...

How many numbered novels are out so far?

They say "less than 50"...so I'm guessing they're excluding anthologies.

What I'd really like to know is how many full novels are still forthcoming

Sorry, to be clear: "more than 1, less than 50" was specifically in answer to the question "how many books will be written about the Siege of Terra?", not how many books the series would amount to by the end.

Ruinstorm is book 46. Burden of Loyalty in March looks set to be book 47.

There are 13 anthologies in the numbered series, although 3 of those are collections of a single author's work on a single subject: Gav Thorpe's Corax, James Swallow's Garro, and John French's Tallarn.

My best guess is that the series will fall short of 60 volumes in total. I don't expect more than six or seven main-sequence books to cover the Siege of Terra, even with Thorpe's reminder of the enormous scale of the thing. I can't see six or seven main-sequence books, novels and anthologies included, coming out before the Siege proper kicks off.

Of course, maybe that's just my failure of imagination, or ignorance of how many uncollected shorts and novellas are kicking around.

Old Earth is book 47, that is due in December. Burden of Loyalty in february , book 48. I suspect after that we will see Haley, French and Doom of the Death Guard by Swallow. It doesn't seem like there could be much else because ADB, McNeill, Wraight have not been doing any HH, Abnett probably not either, Thorpe hasn't, Annandale's book just came out, so that's it really. I would not be surprised by two things from Haley though, he mentioned he wrote several things.

The meeting broke down the stories but the number of books involved was not finalised. "More than 1, less than 50." There's still plenty of the wider Heresy narrative to cover - "a few books, at least" - before the Siege of Terra actually begins, and no-one is currently off to work on a Siege of Terra story just yet.

Definitely sounds like we're still at least 3 years away from series completion.

Interesting to hear that no one has been assigned anything after the meeting and thus no one's started yet.

Certainly seems like we will first see another few novels before the Siege starts, we just don't fully know who and what those will be. 3 or 4 at the most I'd think.

If we are about 3 years form completion, that would mean the main series and the Primarch series would finish around the same time.

Of course, maybe that's just my failure of imagination, or ignorance of how many uncollected shorts and novellas are kicking around.

I don't think it's you...

D-B has been hinting at a faster-than-we-might-expect conclusion to the Siege/Heresy series. I'm a bit fearfuk that they might conclude the Siege with a trilogy.

Frankly, I think the Siege itself deserves 5 to 6 novels.

The recently released Imperium Secundus collection from BL had 4 novels and 14 short stories. It excluded Ruinstorm but even then it feels like IS lasted much longer than this to me.

If the Siege has anything less than the same coverage as Imperium Secundus I will be hugly dissapointed. I know I don't have the right to demand a provider of fiction such as Black Library produce X number of literary works for any given event in the timeline of their IP, but c'mon this is the pigging Siege of Terra we're talking about here!! If anything deserves some serious time in the spotlight it's this!!

Old Earth is book 47, that is due in December. Burden of Loyalty in february , book 48. I suspect after that we will see Haley, French and Doom of the Death Guard by Swallow. It doesn't seem like there could be much else because ADB, McNeill, Wraight have not been doing any HH, Abnett probably not either, Thorpe hasn't, Annandale's book just came out, so that's it really. I would not be surprised by two things from Haley though, he mentioned he wrote several things.

So I remain convinced HH will be 60 numbered entry books. We know books 47 & 48. We know there is Wolf Cull and we know French is also working on something (with some evidence towards Titandeath). So that is 50. There absolutely has to be a book on Doom of the Deathguard, would not make sense to not do one, so that is 51. I really do not think it is beyond possibility that we will get up to 9 books (including anthologies) covering the Solar War and eventual Siege of Terra.

So I remain convinced HH will be 60 numbered entry books. We know books 47 & 48. We know there is Wolf Cull and we know French is also working on something (with some evidence towards Titandeath). So that is 50. There absolutely has to be a book on Doom of the Deathguard, would not make sense to not do one, so that is 51. I really do not think it is beyond possibility that we will get up to 9 books (including anthologies) covering the Solar War and eventual Siege of Terra.

Don't forget the anthologies. Even after Burden of Loyalty there are (so far) 15 shorts/audio dramas, plus at least 2 Salamanders novellas, plus whatever they may release between now and the siege. I'd expect at least two more collection anthologies.

Shiban leads a WS charge at a traitor dropship that's just landed at Lion's Gate and the story ends as he rams his glaive into the first warrior out.

More thoughts (gives away a bit on the story itself, so be warned):

The part about the Siege is just a few paragraphs, but I thought it was extremely well done, in spite of (or because of?) it’s length. Kind of like the first ever trailer for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers where they just showed 10s of the Battle of Helm’s Deep and you knew you were in.

1. There’s a phenomenal line about how despite how many Astartes (on both sides) would be gathered in one place, it would all come down to the uncountable numbers of mortals in the end (foreshadowing :censored: -er :censored: -ers?!?!?! Awwwww yea!!!!!)

2. It describes how Shiban and company are fighting in Lion’s Gate starport and how any semblance of battle lines are completely skewed. Everyone is mixed up into battle soup.

3. “The ominous orbital loaders just keep coming.” Even grizzled, battered, and Six-Million-Dollar-Man-ifed Shiban is taken aback at just how big the attack is.

4. “A warrior who grew up here would not know how to retreat.” This gives away what the story is about, but by the Emprah is it good. Long-story-short even the Hit and Run White Scars realize there is no more room to maneuver; they are in death ground; there is no retreat; it’s fight until they die. No more, no less.

There must be few things a non-Terran-born White Scar hates hearing more than: 

"There is nowhere left to run, brother."

The bit you describe kind of makes you wonder how the Terran-born White Scars dealt with that kind of warfare during the struggle to unify Terra, though. It's not like Terra was any less of a majorly-overcrowded planet-spanning city back then.