Actually rolling our Chapter Tactic

Custodian Athiair

After a couple of games with the chapter tactic under my belt, I can safely say it is ridiculous in its usefulness. There's a safety in watching our melta weapons actually do damage. There's also a realtor safety in overheating plasma weapons.

However I'm wondering how you guys have found the actual physical process of rolling dice for it. In the past I would always roll for each weapon set individually. For example:

- 7 Boltgun + BP (or sgt weapon)

- Special Weapon

- Heavy Weapon

Not necessarily in that order, but to that effect. But with the single re roll in place I think I've found its now better, easier, and quicker to get multiple colours of dice, one for each weapon type, then roll everything together. Then you can make a decision on what gets the reroll to hit, reroll to wound etc.

How have you guys found it? Any other methods?

An interesting point. It certainly sounds faster, and beneficial, to use different coloured dice for different weapons - you'd be able to choose that reroll carefully - but it got me thinking and I checked the rules...

“The weapons a model has are listed on its datasheet. If a model has several weapons, it can shoot all of them at the same target, or it can shoot each at a different enemy unit. Similarly, if a unit contains more than one model, they can shoot at the same, or different targets as you choose. In either case, declare how you will split the shooting unit’s shots before any dice are rolled, and resolve all the shots against one target before moving on to the next."

Say you fire a squad's bolters at one target and the melta gun at another.

In that case you couldn't roll all the attacks at once - as they're at different targets. I'd roll the (likely more vital) melta shot first and use the reroll there if necessary, then the bolter shots.

Of course if all the squad is shooting at the same target then yes, roll them all at once with different coloured dice. :tu:

It's a small thing but worth keeping in mind.

I don't have green marines and I don't tend to use flamers... but have been using the Salamanders CT widely as, to be honest, it seems to be the best!

I've always had a few colours of d6 and find it helpful to allocate colours to weapon types.   I tend to whip together a dice pool for the unit's shots... 6 white dice for rapidfire bolters, 2 grey dice for rapid fire plasma, 1 orange dice for lascannon forexample... then allocate them verbally to targets, and then roll them a weapon at a time.  

Sometimes rolling the more powerful weapons first works well as you get to decide whether you need your CT reroll for the important weapons or can safely use it on a bolter. 

You do have to be quite careful with this CT to not confuse your opponent and cheat a bit - especially if you are trying to play quickly and have other sources of rerolls like Captains and Lieutenants!  Mainly that you can't reroll a dice twice, so if you roll a 1, reroll it due to captain and it comes back a 2... you can't use your CT on that dice. 

But yeah it feels like you have this massive reservoir of command points for rerolls, so can save them for more important things like the new stratagems. 

After a couple of games with the chapter tactic under my belt, I can safely say it is ridiculous in its usefulness. There's a safety in watching our melta weapons actually do damage. There's also a realtor safety in overheating plasma weapons.

However I'm wondering how you guys have found the actual physical process of rolling dice for it. In the past I would always roll for each weapon set individually. For example:

- 7 Boltgun + BP (or sgt weapon)

- Special Weapon

- Heavy Weapon

Not necessarily in that order, but to that effect. But with the single re roll in place I think I've found its now better, easier, and quicker to get multiple colours of dice, one for each weapon type, then roll everything together. Then you can make a decision on what gets the reroll to hit, reroll to wound etc.

How have you guys found it? Any other methods?

I've had a few game using the CT too and I have to say I'm quite impressed. At first when we got news of the Salamanders CT I was disappointed until I actually used it on the board.

I do this same thing. Then again I run my Tac Sqds in combat squads. I roll my melta first (if I'm in range), I use green die for that. Then I use black die for bolters and red die for flamers. But generally speaking, I want to use my re-rolls for my strongest weapons.

I use different colour dice to represent the different weapons, when they are shooting at the one target, makes rerolls and rolling in general quicker. The key is to stay consistent in colour choices, when the weapons have a similar number of dice.

The CT makes the important shots more likely, and saves the cp reroll for the multi would rolls from taking a lascannon from 1 wound to more than 1 wound.

My two cents I hope it helps.

I use different colour dice to represent the different weapons, when they are shooting at the one target, makes rerolls and rolling in general quicker. The key is to stay consistent in colour choices, when the weapons have a similar number of dice.

The CT makes the important shots more likely, and saves the cp reroll for the multi would rolls from taking a lascannon from 1 wound to more than 1 wound.

My two cents I hope it helps.

Totally agree on that comment about use of CP. Major luxury for us over the others, don't have to worry about the big gun hitting, can instead use the CP's to make it really hurt! (Something I must remember more often)